ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern's stadium - WTF?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022

So I can see that a nearly 100 year old stadium could use some TLC. But replacing an already very small (by B1G standards) stadium of 47K with a new stadium that holds 35K and costs $800 million? And will displace them for two years? Shit why not just play your home games at Soldier Field? Looks like about 15 miles max from the NW campus?

All other arguments aside, it was sort of a miracle the WSU and Moos got the Martin Stadium renovation done in one offseason. The Press box/luxury thing (what do we even call it?) and the FOB coming together that fast is unheard of at a public institution.

The Stanford stadium and their entire demolition in 2006, downsizing to 50K, and a complete rebuild while only losing one home game along the way was pretty amazing. Didn't I read somewhere back in the day that the whole thing was basically bankrolled by 4 alums?

Oh and this is interesting.....

Not sure what your complaint is. Their new facility looks incredible. Northwestern is a small school with a small fanbase, so a smaller stadium makes sense. Especially given how many other various B10 grads live in the Chicagoland area.

Not sure what your complaint is. Their new facility looks incredible. Northwestern is a small school with a small fanbase, so a smaller stadium makes sense. Especially given how many other various B10 grads live in the Chicagoland area.
I don't give a shit. But when push comes to shove with all that is happening in CFB, NWestern is, IMHO, one of the schools which will be jettisoned by the D-super 1 schools.

I don't give a shit. But when push comes to shove with all that is happening in CFB, NWestern is, IMHO, one of the schools which will be jettisoned by the D-super 1 schools.
That's good for WSU. The more that end up in our camp, the more alignment options we have.

Reactions: ATACFD
They aren’t the only ones downsizing. The economics of it would be fascinating but when this was mentioned before someone said Northwestern has a lot of money so that’s not much of a factor. The stadium looks awesome and by the design I’d imagine it’ll be a really cool place to catch a game along with a great atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT