ADVERTISEMENT

Moos article

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Basketball is finally over, so what's the Spokesman to do? Let's find a Bill Moos article!

Love this quote. It almost sounds like someone else we know. Hint: "I'm the President and you're not"
And why should he have any regrets? He made $600K a year, and didn't give anything back.

Moos said he had no regrets about his time at WSU.
“If I did that poor a job at Washington State,” he said, “how come I’m at Nebraska now – one of the premier programs in the country?”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/08/bill-moos-riding-high-at-nebraska-in-wake-of-big-t/

Good for Bill. I've said for years, he presented a plan that included projected distributions from the Pac-12 networks. Is that his fault? No. Its the fault of the President frankly for not holding the Pac-12 CEO group accountable.

He made a good football hire and plunged the school into massive debt.

Kudos on a good weekend in Key West.

The "debt" is not largely a reflections of 1) not investing (playing catchup), 2) Pac-12 networks falling short of expectations, 3) relatively weak donor support.

The "debt" is not largely a reflections of 1) not investing (playing catchup), 2) Pac-12 networks falling short of expectations, 3) relatively weak donor support.

Maybe the head skin master should have set an example

I like Moos. Always have. Type of work he did was essential, and essentially the type that some will always find offense with.
He made a good football hire and plunged the school into massive debt.
Kudos on a good weekend in Key West.

To clarify my own opinion: I met Moos on several occasions, and attended his job interview/coronation in Pullman so many years ago. I have heard him speak about Athletics. I sent him an e-mail once with a couple of suggestions for Baseball (might create a thread on that), and he wrote back and said my ideas "had merit" and passed them along to the program. So my perspective on him was pretty darn positive.

I think lovers and haters should all agree that the biggest culprit in the budget/debt fiasco was the (the entire Pac-12) buying in to the revenue projections from Larry Scott. We can blame Moos and Floyd for believing the nonsense, but the other 11+11 (or was it 9+9 at that time?) did too. And yeah, while we can argue whether we overdid it 10 or 20 million, 80-90% of it was absolutely necessary. And yes our donor support sucks. Mine too.

What prompted me to post this article today is his arrogance. The comment below is just 100% arrogance. I don't accept that as being OK. And it is nothing new. The "no bowl ticket" drawer. Firing Marbut because Donnie (100% spot on) criticized the support for baseball. Etc. So I don't care much for today's Bill Moos. Now if he threw back a $250,000 (or more) gift to Athletics, that would be nice.

“If I did that poor a job at Washington State,” he said, “how come I’m at Nebraska now – one of the premier programs in the country?”

Anyway, don't need to beat it into the ground or rehash the same old argument for another 200 posts. Just caught my eye this morning.

To clarify my own opinion: I met Moos on several occasions, and attended his job interview/coronation in Pullman so many years ago. I have heard him speak about Athletics. I sent him an e-mail once with a couple of suggestions for Baseball (might create a thread on that), and he wrote back and said my ideas "had merit" and passed them along to the program. So my perspective on him was pretty darn positive.

I think lovers and haters should all agree that the biggest culprit in the budget/debt fiasco was the (the entire Pac-12) buying in to the revenue projections from Larry Scott. We can blame Moos and Floyd for believing the nonsense, but the other 11+11 (or was it 9+9 at that time?) did too. And yeah, while we can argue whether we overdid it 10 or 20 million, 80-90% of it was absolutely necessary. And yes our donor support sucks. Mine too.

What prompted me to post this article today is his arrogance. The comment below is just 100% arrogance. I don't accept that as being OK. And it is nothing new. The "no bowl ticket" drawer. Firing Marbut because Donnie (100% spot on) criticized the support for baseball. Etc. So I don't care much for today's Bill Moos. Now if he threw back a $250,000 (or more) gift to Athletics, that would be nice.

Anyway, don't need to beat it into the ground or rehash the same old argument for another 200 posts. Just caught my eye this morning.

Are you surprised by arrogance from someone involved in athletics? Also, is he somehow wrong?

Boozing apparently caused him some trouble in Lincoln, but he weathered that storm to the extent there was actually a storm.

Are you surprised by arrogance from someone involved in athletics? Also, is he somehow wrong?

Boozing apparently caused him some trouble in Lincoln, but he weathered that storm to the extent there was actually a storm.

No I am not surprised - but there are plenty of non-arrogant, successful people in all walks of life. Including Athletics. Pretty sure that Jim Sterk makes as much as Moos, and he is a nice guy. And while he may not be "wrong", there is no need to say what he said, and certainly no reason to say it the way he said it.

Do you like or prefer arrogant people to nice, pleasant people? Do you think arrogance and success are somehow intrinsically linked? Nice guys finish last?

Not how I'm wired.

No I am not surprised - but there are plenty of non-arrogant, successful people in all walks of life. Including Athletics. Pretty sure that Jim Sterk makes as much as Moos, and he is a nice guy. And while he may not be "wrong", there is no need to say what he said, and certainly no reason to say it the way he said it.

Do you like or prefer arrogant people to nice, pleasant people? Do you think arrogance and success are somehow intrinsically linked? Nice guys finish last?

Not how I'm wired.

OMG, you just equated the accountant, Jim Sterk to Bill Moos because they are paid similarly?

Not how I'm wired.

OMG, you just equated the accountant, Jim Sterk to Bill Moos because they are paid similarly?

That is not what I said, and you know it. If not, read my post again. 5 times if that's what it takes. Nice try though.

Another "nice guy" who is successful in Athletics is John David Wicker at San Diego State, although he makes much less than Moos or Sterk at this point in his career.

I use Sterk and JD as examples because I have had personal interaction with both of them. They are nice guys. Not arrogant. Bill Moos is arrogant, and gets more so as he gets older. That is all. Oh, and Rick Dickson was arrogant too. He oozed it when you talked to him.

Well, almost. For all the shit Sterk takes on this board, he had a stadium plan that was not all that different than what we ended up doing. And Sterk did get the first couple of phases done, which were necessary and welcome. When we get that second deck end zone done, we will be glad Sterk had the foresight to have footings put in during one of his phases. And if Sterk had still been around after Prez Floyd replaced Rawlins, and had the Larry Scott fantasy revenue projections in front of him, no one can say with certainty that he wouldn't have done the same thing Moos did. And no one can say that he wouldn't have fired CPW and hired Mike Leach either. We can say with a high level of confidence that he would not have hired Ernie Kent, and probably wouldn't have fired Marbut for Lees.

Marbut kind of fired himself. Kent was plan B (a bad one). Bill Moos is a great guy, who deserves a lot of respect, same with Floyd. We would NOT have Leach and the facilities we have today. Those 2 understood we HAD to invest, and choose to do so. No Moos, no Leach, etc.

And no one can say that he wouldn't have fired CPW and hired Mike Leach either. We can say with a high level of confidence that he would not have hired Ernie Kent, and probably wouldn't have fired Marbut for Lees.

1. Sterk wouldn't have fired Wulff - no well in hell was he getting to hire his 3rd football coach after botching the first two hires.
Sterk let the alum coaches run roughshod over the program, so was he going to stop that?
2. No way in hell would Mike Leach work for Jim Sterk at WSU.

1. Sterk wouldn't have fired Wulff - no well in hell was he getting to hire his 3rd football coach after botching the first two hires.
Sterk let the alum coaches run roughshod over the program, so was he going to stop that?
2. No way in hell would Mike Leach work for Jim Sterk at WSU.

The old inmates are running the asylum trick. Yes, Walden, Erickson, Price were all on the hiring committee, Sterk and Moos just sat back, and Floyd as the President of the university said I am going to give up my decision making power and let the former coaches make the hire. The Wulff hire is on Sterk, Floyd and Moos. And Moos not hiring Leach after 2010 is on him.

The old inmates are running the asylum trick. Yes, Walden, Erickson, Price were all on the hiring committee, Sterk and Moos just sat back, and Floyd as the President of the university said I am going to give up my decision making power and let the former coaches make the hire. The Wulff hire is on Sterk, Floyd and Moos. And Moos not hiring Leach after 2010 is on him.

There was only 1 person lobbying for Wulff in the media and press and that was Jim 0-10-1 Walden

There was only 1 person lobbying for Wulff in the media and press and that was Jim 0-10-1 Walden

I get that .. so he has more power than Moos who was a consultant , Floyd the President and Sterk the AD . Makes sense

I get that .. so he has more power than Moos who was a consultant , Floyd the President and Sterk the AD . Makes sense

Don't worry Ed the future generation will be Educated so we can end the Walden excuse stupidity.

UqFpkjO.png

Don't worry Ed the future generation will be Educated so we can end the Walden excuse stupidity.

UqFpkjO.png

Too funny . Only you make an excuse for the people who signed Wulff’s check . The onus is On Floyd Sterk and Moos. Walden was a mouth piece . I’ll tell you what I will donate 100000 in your name if you can show me one check Jim Walden signed for Paul Wullf . Good ceos don’t make excuses, they correct the problem . No that was on Sterk Floyd and Moos.

Too funny . Only you make an excuse for the people who signed Wulff’s check . The onus is On Floyd Sterk and Moos. Walden was a mouth piece . I’ll tell you what I will donate 100000 in your name if you can show me one check Jim Walden signed for Paul Wullf . Good ceos don’t make excuses, they correct the problem . No that was on Sterk Floyd and Moos.

Moos would have paid Wulff regardless of whether or not he was our coach in 2011 or not. Plus this was before the Pac-12 networks projected revenues allowed the flexibility to risk angering the donors by firing Walden's golden boy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT