ADVERTISEMENT

More loser talk

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Today's team presser had questions about whether or not the Cougs would accept a bowl invitation. Rolovich gave the politically correct answer and said we haven't earned anything yet and we're 100% focused on finishing strong against Utah on Saturday. No wait, he didn't. He talked about how this was probably the end as the team is worn out from a difficult season and it wasn't going to be a traditional bowl game. George Hicks said the team is in agreement on this.

Wtf? I understand this been a difficult year. I wouldn't blame them for declining a bowl bid either. But we looked like crap against USC and we are almost double digit underdogs against the Utes on Saturday. Can we at least pretend to have not thrown in the towel until after the game starts on Saturday? If we are going to play in SLC under less than ideal circumstances, might as well give our best effort. Focusing on how unfair and challenging (all true btw) this season has been is not a recipe for playing your best.

I'm not on the team, I do not know what they've gone through in 2020 (starting with Beekman's death), it's not my call...

That said, I haven't invested a ton of time into Cougar football this season, but well...if the above is correct in context, I'm not feeling super warm and fuzzy about the growth of the program the next few seasons.

Would that even be Rolos decision or the AD’s? I know the players have been pissed off to keep practicing and having games arbitrarily cancelled. They are unable to see their families. This season has been total shit. Unfortunate for a first year coach.

Would that even be Rolos decision or the AD’s? I know the players have been pissed off to keep practicing and having games arbitrarily cancelled. They are unable to see their families. This season has been total shit. Unfortunate for a first year coach.

I get it. I also think it's negligence of the highest order to talk about a theoretical bowl when you haven't earned it yet. Beat Utah. Then take a vote on whether or not you want to pack it in. Collectively deciding this is your last game before kickoff is just an excuse to mail it in on Saturday because life is hard.

Again, the correct answer to a softball question is "we have a game to win on Saturday before we even think about anything else."

Or fortunate, in that you get a "free" year of development that everyone will chalk up as our first ever exhibition season. Hides some warts and cures some others.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I wouldn’t call it loser talk. I think, it’s just been mentally draining on the kids. Getting on a bus to go to the airport and you’re taken off the bus. You’re warming up for a game and it gets cancelled. It’s draining. I’m fine with them not going to a bowl. You get a week of extra practice for a game that might happen. It’s been a long year, they haven’t seen their families, just end the season. Hopefully the NCAA allows an extended spring ball for teams. That would make sense. Rolovich is right, this isn’t a bowl season. If they travel they’ll be stuck in their hotel rooms the entire time. They probably won’t travel until the day before the game, so it is just another road game. There won’t be any bowl activities or anything. It’s just another game that you hope that isn’t cancelled.

Last edited:
I dont think you can overlook the financial cost of a bowl game this year. Covid has taken its toll on every athletic department and school still functioning. Even when bowl games could be attended they are financial losers. Not sure it is really an option this year and wouldnt be surprised if Chun has already internally said no.

Yeah. This isn't the year to lose money on a bottom tier bowl game that could get cancelled somewhere between 90 minutes and two weeks before gametime. Unfortunate reality.

What does that have to do with this year? THIS team isn't a bowl team. Watch Saturday

Are you hoping that we win, or do you want us to lose so you can say you were right? I mean, losing to Oregon, SC, and Utah will conclusively prove how bad we are.

I’ll be watching, as always.

Are you hoping that we win, or do you want us to lose so you can say you were right? I mean, losing to Oregon, SC, and Utah will conclusively prove how bad we are.

I’ll be watching, as always.

This isn't a bowl team. Sorry that hurts your narrative vs. last years team.

FWIW, I think that the players are burned out dealing with COVID. An article read said that part of their routine is to get up at 6 am for a COVID test. With everything going on, there's less than a 50% chance that we'll show up at a bowl game with both teams able to play at a high level....and as mentioned above, we will lose money going to whatever sh!tty bowl that will take us. On top of that, WSU isn't the only one not excited about a bad bowl game. K-State announced today that they would not accept a bowl invitation if it was extended.

So yeah.....let's forget about bowl games. If anything, I'd like to see WSU play UW in Pullman in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDCoug
Doesn't bother me a bit - what these kids have gone through the last couple years have to take a strain on the mental health. Losing Hilinski, then Beekman, then COVID....Rolo and his staff have probably spent more time this year on caring for the mental well-being of their student athletes than all their previous years put together.

He's spoken of it several times. We don't need any more incidents or loss due to someone cracking. Get the next game over with and call it good.

Last year's team went 3-6 in the conference. This team probably is 5-7 or 6-6 if we play a full schedule. They are not too far apart.

Last years defense was laughably bad, and the offense had Borghi to lean on all season.

What worth are extra practices if only 1/3 of the team can practice. Such a strange year. Time to take advantage of the transfer portal.

I think you are reading too much into Rolo's comments, this season has been frustrating for everyone. From a coaching stand point he hires, what he thinks is a great staff, gets his chance to prove himself and then he can't practice, can't visit recruits, games get cancelled 90 min before kickoff. Look at your own life, you can't go anywhere kids are at home all day, no place to go nothing to do, I think he comments reflect society as a whole right now, nothing wrong with that, 2020 has been a miserable year, not too many people want to repeat.

I think there was something that Kyle Smith said about the basketball game at Colorado being cancelled the other day, that sums it up. He was disappointed the game was cancelled because he thought the kids would benefit from a change of scenery. They have been in Pullman for over 6 months, haven't gone anywhere, just their dorms or apartments, locker room and gym. That's it, no parties no in person class, you don't see anyone because you can't expose yourself to the virus. Heck I loved my time in Pullman, and at WSU, but if I was restricted to that for 6 months, I'd be begging to get out too.

I think his attitude is one of frustration, which coming from a competitive person, that is competing with one hand tied behind his back, is understandable. I think with a little more time in a normal environment, he has to potential to be a good coach and this team can be exciting. Keep in mind these player have been together almost every day for the past 9 months, and they have played 3 games, can't be fun.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Wouldn’t matter. Just have to hand the ball off against last years defense.
That is HHusky/CougEd logic.

Sr QB invited to NFL camp with a 2pt loss to Rose Bowl champion vs 1st yr Fr who crapped the bed in his last 6 qtr(out of 12 qtr)

That is HHusky/CougEd logic.

Sr QB invited to NFL camp with a 2pt loss to Rose Bowl champion vs 1st yr Fr who crapped the bed in his last 6 qtr(out of 12 qtr)

I don't dispute the talent on last years offense. It's that the defense couldn't stop anyone. We could literally run read-option with Borghi, McIntosh, and de Laura and never have to punt.

The number of spots available to Pac-12 are going to be small.

The better deal could be to schedule a game with a team next weekend.

I'm hoping we pull off the Apple Cup....but doesn't seem likely.

I don't dispute the talent on last years offense. It's that the defense couldn't stop anyone. We could literally run read-option with Borghi, McIntosh, and de Laura and never have to punt.
Borghi did not play for the 2020 WSU team.

Does the 2019 team get to utilize Jalen Thompson then?

Last year's team went 3-6 in the conference. This team probably is 5-7 or 6-6 if we play a full schedule. They are not too far apart.
Agreed. The defense is way better and the offense is not there yet. Basically a push. This would be a 500ish team with a full schedule including a couple of NC warmups.
Moot point I don’t think a 2-2 team would be heading to a bowl in a year when a bunch of bowls are eliminated so not sure what all of the fighting is about on the topic. Hope the kids put it all out there on Saturday and end the year on a good note. While Utah is always a physical game and they are a well coached team, they sure as hell aren’t unbeatable.
Hoping for a glimpse of Borghi in this offense too!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT