ADVERTISEMENT

More on Gonzaga - very long

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Observer, you can just pass this post by. I am doing nothing but directly quoting articles. And it relates to BB so it is on topic.

FYI, until I read all these articles I knew nothing of the Spokane Diocese bankruptcy, or the pedophilia of a former Gonzaga President that was a contributing factor in it (from articles). Pretty crazy stuff. No wonder some people up there are so sensitive.

"former university President John P. Leary, who sexually abused boys until Spokane police gave him a 24-hour ultimatum in 1969 to leave town or face arrest."

Ok, so the below is a big deal, and will probably get bigger. Crib notes summary - an investigative article in "Reveal" revealed that 20+ known abusive/molester/etc. priests were sent to live on Gonzaga's campus for many many years, up until 2016. A central figure in this is Frank Case, the BB team's chaplain and a Gonzaga VP. Case (no molester accusation against him) was very familiar with the most prominent molester, James Poole. This was a really bad guy. BAD.

Gonzaga's President penned a letter yesterday denying any knowledge of any of this until 2016. He also stated that he knew nothing of Rev. Poole's presence on Gonzaga's campus until the Reveal story came out in this month. However, 2005 and 2009 Spokesman articles name Poole and report that he was living on Gonzaga's campus. BTW, Pres. McCulloh has been at Gonzaga since 1990. But he didn't know anything about Poole even though it was reported in the local paper multiple times a decade ago? Okay........let's go with that explanation Mr. President. 'Cuz clearly Gonzaga University is above reproach.

One other note - see below where this Poole (molester) was not really supervised despite what was said, and that he regularly went to Gonzaga BB games.

"Jesuits Promise to Stop" article Dec 18
Perhaps the most troubling revelations involve the Rev. Frank Case, a prominent Jesuit who is currently a vice president of Gonzaga and chaplain for the school’s nationally ranked men’s basketball team.

In 1989, when Case was head of the Jesuits’ Oregon Province (which later went bankrupt), he endorsed Poole for a job at a Tacoma hospital
. Although the first allegations about Poole had been documented by another priest in 1960, Case has said he did not check or did not have access to Poole’s personnel file.

Case, who travels with the Bulldogs, was not in his usual seat at the end of the team’s bench during Tuesday’s game at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

The Spokesman-Review and other news outlets began publishing stories about Poole and his accusers as early as 2004. A front-page story in April 2005 began: “A woman in Anchorage, Alaska, received a $1 million settlement this week for the alleged childhood abuse she suffered at the hands of a Jesuit priest now retired in Spokane.”

McCulloh, who joined Gonzaga’s staff in 1990 and became president in 2010, said in a statement Monday: “It was not until 2016, when the province chose to begin relocating a number of retired men to the Sacred Heart Community in Los Gatos, that I learned that among them were Jesuits who had been on safety plans (and were moved).”

One priest, the Rev. James Poole, admitted under oath that he sexually abused indigenous women and girls in Alaska. In a deposition taken while he lived in Bea House, Poole said he regularly went to Gonzaga’s library and basketball games and once had an unsupervised meeting with a female student who came to the house to interview him.

Gonzaga President's Letter on Dec 18:
"the revelation that the Society of Jesus had knowingly sent a man with Poole’s record of sexual abuse to live in their facility within the parameters of our campus – which serves not only as the home of college students, but regularly hosts grade-school children and visitors of all ages – without notification by the Province to the University.

It was not until 2016, when the Province chose to begin relocating a number of retired men to the Sacred Heart Community in Los Gatos, that I learned that among them were Jesuits who had been on safety plans (and were moved). The first notification I had that Fr. James Poole lived at Bea House was when the US Jesuits West list was released on Dec. 7, 2018; I did not know of Fr. Poole, or his history in Alaska, until the investigative report aired this past weekend."

Following the lessons learned out of the bankruptcy, I had relied upon the Province to inform us of any Jesuit whose history might pose a threat to our students or campus community. I deeply regret that I was not informed of the presence of Fr. Poole, nor any other Jesuits who might pose such a danger, at Cardinal Bea House.

2005 Spokesman Lawsuit Article
"A woman in Anchorage, Alaska, received a $1 million settlement this week for the alleged childhood abuse she suffered at the hands of a Jesuit priest now retired in Spokane.
Elsie Boudreau was first molested in the late 1970s by the Rev. James Poole when she was a 10-year-old in Nome, according to the lawsuit filed in Alaska a year ago
Whitney said Poole admitted to him that he had indeed abused Boudreau. Once he found out, the provincial removed the priest from his hospital ministry in Tacoma and sent him to Regis Jesuit Community, a home for retired Jesuits on the Gonzaga campus.

According to the provincial, the priest is not allowed to leave the building unless he is accompanied by another Jesuit. The staff at Regis also carefully monitors his actions, and Poole is never left alone with visitors. His primary job is to tend the graves of dead Jesuits at Mount St. Michaels’ cemetery."

2009 Spokesman Bankruptcy Article
Victims and their attorneys have alleged that the Jesuits used Alaska as dumping ground for pedophile priests.
At least one of those priests, James Poole, is housed by the Jesuits in Spokane.

Spokane Catholic Bishop William Skylstad has identified 12 Jesuit priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children in his diocese. Most are deceased, but some live in the city.

Links, links:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/apr/01/gonzaga-chaplain-keeps-spiritual-perspective-and-v/
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/gonzaga-president-thayne-mcculloh-responds-to-repo/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/letter-from-gonzaga-president-thayne-mcculloh-rega/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/jesuits-promise-to-stop-sending-accused-priests-to/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/17/jesuits-sent-abusive-priests-to-retire-on-gonzagas/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/apr/07/priest-abuse-case-settles-for-1-million/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/feb/19/bankruptcy-filing-wont-affect-gu-president-says/

What's your point? A guy who 29 years ago recommended another guy for a job somehow brings down Mark Few? I don't think so.

This is a Society of Jesuit problem, not a Mark Few problem.

How anybody can continue to support the Catholic Church in any way shape or form is beyond me.

My bet is "privacy" was a component of these "safety plans". I actually lived in the northeast when the Catholic Archdiocese of Boston sex abuse scandal came out. The Catholic church handles a lot of these cases the same way. When they are found they move the priest to a lower profile area of the region or country and probably turn a blind eye to the whole thing. I believe the Boston Archdiocese had an agreement with law enforcement that offenders wouldn't face legal consequences and instead the church would handle it.

What's your point? A guy who 29 years ago recommended another guy for a job somehow brings down Mark Few? I don't think so.

This is a Society of Jesuit problem, not a Mark Few problem.

I asked that you pass this one by. But you couldn't could you. Zag lover.

When anything negative towards our Cougs happens (Gropesser, CML's stupid tweet, etc) it is all out there and it paints MY alma mater in a negative light. So what we have is a highly negative expose of Gonzaga University, complete with a direct connection to their "holier than us" BB program. And a direct indictment of a President who appears to have trouble with the truth.

And you bring Mark Few into it. Did I mention his name? NO.

WTF is YOUR point? Is Few your brother in law or what?

No - you told, not asked.. And your obsession continues.

Still haven't answered the question - what's your point? Gonzaga basketball isn't taking the gas pipe over this. It's the Society of Jesuits problem. Mark Few isn't even Catholic.

BTW, haven't been to a GU game in the Kennel since 2009. Just don't roll with that crowd.

Last edited:
I asked that you pass this one by. But you couldn't could you. Zag lover.

That sounded just like bait to me Loyal. I wouldn't pass either. This entire thread has squat all to do with Cougar Basketball. Take it to the Zag forumn that your Spokesman Review runs for them.

That sounded just like bait to me Loyal. I wouldn't pass either. This entire thread has squat all to do with Cougar Basketball. Take it to the Zag forumn that your Spokesman Review runs for them.

Loyal is no novice baiter. Dare I say, he is truly a master baiter.

I wouldnt post this here, and I dont think it should be posted here

But that said. It has been posted.

Now if Loyal, others had posted this, and nobody respond, then could say doesnt belong here, dont post it, try to squash this, etc.

But people have responded. And the OP and the responses need a response and my response.

What Loyal is posting here is true, factual.

It truthfully paints everything about Gonzaga, and the Catholic Church in a horribly bad true light.

And that includes the Bball program.

Frank Case is INVOLVED with the GU Bball program, and is INVOLVED with this bad scandal.

If I was Mark Few, or any GU Bball player I would refuse to coach for GU over this. If I was one of GU's players, I would sit out, refuse to play, make a public statement against GU, Catholic Church, transfer.

By not doing that, Mark Few, and the players, ARE INDIRECTLY ENABLING, SUPPORTING GU.

GU because of this DESERVES the death penalty. If SMU, Penn St got the death penalty for LESS, GU should get the death PENALTY for more.

Now I know some of you will say "But GU, the BBall program didnt do this, and that it was just individuals, that just happened to be at GU, that not associated with GU athletics".

While that might, may, probably be true, the Catholic Church, GU, should not be rewarded, dont deserve a athletic program, etc.

In fact GU, Catholic Church should lose all, any funding, support, as any funding, support, from any source says "I support the Catholic Church, GU, and the BS they are doing."

And that goes for Few, GU players, etc.

And Loyal is right that if this was WSU, that almost nobody would say "But CML and the WSU football program has nothing to do with this"

If this was to happen at WSU, I would not support the WSU football program. I would stop donating to CAF, however extremely little my donations are. I would stop supporting WSU. At Least Until WSU was DISCIPLINED, dealt with this.

And since thats the way I would be with WSU, that's the way I would be with any college, including GU.

And if dont like this view, then DONT RESPOND to Loyal's OP(Original Post), on about this topic, and then dont post these topics Loyal, etc, and you won't get my response.

But Loyal did post this topic, and people did respond, and this response of mine was, is needed.

Mike

Last edited:
I wouldnt post this here, and I dont think it should be posted here

But that said. It has been posted.

Now if Loyal, others had posted this, and nobody respond, then could say doesnt belong here, dont post it, try to squash this, etc.

But people have responded. And the OP and the responses need a response and my response.

What Loyal is posting here is true, factual.

It truthfully paints everything about Gonzaga, and the Catholic Church in a horribly bad true light.

And that includes the Bball program.

Frank Case is INVOLVED with the GU Bball program, and is INVOLVED with this bad scandal.

If I was Mark Few, or any GU Bball player I would refuse to coach for GU over this. If I was one of GU's players, I would sit out, refuse to play, make a public statement against GU, Catholic Church, transfer.

By not doing that, Mark Few, and the players, ARE INDIRECTLY ENABLING, SUPPORTING GU.

GU because of this DESERVES the death penalty. If SMU, Penn St got the death penalty for LESS, GU should get the death PENALTY for more.

Now I know some of you will say "But GU, the BBall program didnt do this, and that it was just individuals, that just happened to be at GU, that not associated with GU athletics".

While that might, may, probably be true, the Catholic Church, GU, should not be rewarded, dont deserve a athletic program, etc.

In fact GU, Catholic Church should lose all, any funding, support, as any funding, support, from any source says "I support the Catholic Church, GU, and the BS they are doing."

And that goes for Few, GU players, etc.

And Loyal is right that if this was WSU, that almost nobody would say "But CML and the WSU football program has nothing to do with this"

If this was to happen at WSU, I would not support the WSU football program. I would stop donating to CAF, however extremely little my donations are. I would stop supporting WSU. At Least Until WSU was DISCIPLINED, dealt with this.

And since thats the way I would be with WSU, that's the way I would be with any college, including GU.

And if dont like this view, then DONT RESPOND to Loyal's OP(Original Post), on about this topic, and then dont post these topics Loyal, etc, and you won't get my response.

But Loyal did post this topic, and people did respond, and this response of mine was, is needed.

Mike

Where to begin. This does not remotely compare to the SMU and Penn St. scandals from an athletics standpoint. SMU was brazenly playing players, even after they were caught and told to stop. Penn St. was worse. They had a football coach who was actively raping troubled youths on school grounds. The head coach and administration's had a good idea something was fishy but allowed it to continue to protect the athletic departments reputation. Those scandals are 100% related to athletics, so punishment should be targeted at sports.

Gonzaga's problems would have happened regardless of whether or not Gonzaga had a football team. It's a problem with the problematic Jesuit order (the order was once disbanded due to corruption, maybe history should repeat itself), and also with the Catholic Church. Should the State Attorneys General look into abuse within the Archdiocese of Spokane? Yes. Might the feds need to get involved? Yes. But the issues involved weren't happening because of athletics.

Disbanding the GU basketball teams does nothing to prevent future abuses. It would be like sanctioning an athletic department because the biology department falsified data to get grant money.

I personally wouldn’t work for, play for or associate with any organization that has continually been involved with the rape of children. But that’s just me!!

Reactions: mikalalas
Observer, you can just pass this post by. I am doing nothing but directly quoting articles. And it relates to BB so it is on topic.

FYI, until I read all these articles I knew nothing of the Spokane Diocese bankruptcy, or the pedophilia of a former Gonzaga President that was a contributing factor in it (from articles). Pretty crazy stuff. No wonder some people up there are so sensitive.

"former university President John P. Leary, who sexually abused boys until Spokane police gave him a 24-hour ultimatum in 1969 to leave town or face arrest."

Ok, so the below is a big deal, and will probably get bigger. Crib notes summary - an investigative article in "Reveal" revealed that 20+ known abusive/molester/etc. priests were sent to live on Gonzaga's campus for many many years, up until 2016. A central figure in this is Frank Case, the BB team's chaplain and a Gonzaga VP. Case (no molester accusation against him) was very familiar with the most prominent molester, James Poole. This was a really bad guy. BAD.

Gonzaga's President penned a letter yesterday denying any knowledge of any of this until 2016. He also stated that he knew nothing of Rev. Poole's presence on Gonzaga's campus until the Reveal story came out in this month. However, 2005 and 2009 Spokesman articles name Poole and report that he was living on Gonzaga's campus. BTW, Pres. McCulloh has been at Gonzaga since 1990. But he didn't know anything about Poole even though it was reported in the local paper multiple times a decade ago? Okay........let's go with that explanation Mr. President. 'Cuz clearly Gonzaga University is above reproach.

One other note - see below where this Poole (molester) was not really supervised despite what was said, and that he regularly went to Gonzaga BB games.

"Jesuits Promise to Stop" article Dec 18
Perhaps the most troubling revelations involve the Rev. Frank Case, a prominent Jesuit who is currently a vice president of Gonzaga and chaplain for the school’s nationally ranked men’s basketball team.

In 1989, when Case was head of the Jesuits’ Oregon Province (which later went bankrupt), he endorsed Poole for a job at a Tacoma hospital
. Although the first allegations about Poole had been documented by another priest in 1960, Case has said he did not check or did not have access to Poole’s personnel file.

Case, who travels with the Bulldogs, was not in his usual seat at the end of the team’s bench during Tuesday’s game at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

The Spokesman-Review and other news outlets began publishing stories about Poole and his accusers as early as 2004. A front-page story in April 2005 began: “A woman in Anchorage, Alaska, received a $1 million settlement this week for the alleged childhood abuse she suffered at the hands of a Jesuit priest now retired in Spokane.”

McCulloh, who joined Gonzaga’s staff in 1990 and became president in 2010, said in a statement Monday: “It was not until 2016, when the province chose to begin relocating a number of retired men to the Sacred Heart Community in Los Gatos, that I learned that among them were Jesuits who had been on safety plans (and were moved).”

One priest, the Rev. James Poole, admitted under oath that he sexually abused indigenous women and girls in Alaska. In a deposition taken while he lived in Bea House, Poole said he regularly went to Gonzaga’s library and basketball games and once had an unsupervised meeting with a female student who came to the house to interview him.

Gonzaga President's Letter on Dec 18:
"the revelation that the Society of Jesus had knowingly sent a man with Poole’s record of sexual abuse to live in their facility within the parameters of our campus – which serves not only as the home of college students, but regularly hosts grade-school children and visitors of all ages – without notification by the Province to the University.

It was not until 2016, when the Province chose to begin relocating a number of retired men to the Sacred Heart Community in Los Gatos, that I learned that among them were Jesuits who had been on safety plans (and were moved). The first notification I had that Fr. James Poole lived at Bea House was when the US Jesuits West list was released on Dec. 7, 2018; I did not know of Fr. Poole, or his history in Alaska, until the investigative report aired this past weekend."

Following the lessons learned out of the bankruptcy, I had relied upon the Province to inform us of any Jesuit whose history might pose a threat to our students or campus community. I deeply regret that I was not informed of the presence of Fr. Poole, nor any other Jesuits who might pose such a danger, at Cardinal Bea House.

2005 Spokesman Lawsuit Article
"A woman in Anchorage, Alaska, received a $1 million settlement this week for the alleged childhood abuse she suffered at the hands of a Jesuit priest now retired in Spokane.
Elsie Boudreau was first molested in the late 1970s by the Rev. James Poole when she was a 10-year-old in Nome, according to the lawsuit filed in Alaska a year ago
Whitney said Poole admitted to him that he had indeed abused Boudreau. Once he found out, the provincial removed the priest from his hospital ministry in Tacoma and sent him to Regis Jesuit Community, a home for retired Jesuits on the Gonzaga campus.

According to the provincial, the priest is not allowed to leave the building unless he is accompanied by another Jesuit. The staff at Regis also carefully monitors his actions, and Poole is never left alone with visitors. His primary job is to tend the graves of dead Jesuits at Mount St. Michaels’ cemetery."

2009 Spokesman Bankruptcy Article
Victims and their attorneys have alleged that the Jesuits used Alaska as dumping ground for pedophile priests.
At least one of those priests, James Poole, is housed by the Jesuits in Spokane.

Spokane Catholic Bishop William Skylstad has identified 12 Jesuit priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children in his diocese. Most are deceased, but some live in the city.

Links, links:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/apr/01/gonzaga-chaplain-keeps-spiritual-perspective-and-v/
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/gonzaga-president-thayne-mcculloh-responds-to-repo/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/letter-from-gonzaga-president-thayne-mcculloh-rega/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/18/jesuits-promise-to-stop-sending-accused-priests-to/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/17/jesuits-sent-abusive-priests-to-retire-on-gonzagas/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/apr/07/priest-abuse-case-settles-for-1-million/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/feb/19/bankruptcy-filing-wont-affect-gu-president-says/

If you made a MAJOR Assumptions which is that Thayne knew what was going on at the Jesuit house and a reasonable assumption that Case , the Chaplain did, this would be an extremely bad look for gu and gu basketball. Case will never be heard from again. Too much $$ at stake with gu hoops for him to be associated with the program. I hope the media keeps digging.

If you made a MAJOR Assumptions which is that Thayne knew what was going on at the Jesuit house and a reasonable assumption that Case , the Chaplain did, this would be an extremely bad look for gu and gu basketball. Case will never be heard from again. Too much $$ at stake with gu hoops for him to be associated with the program. I hope the media keeps digging.

Well I think it is obvious that McCulloh knew there were molesters, and specifically this Poole guy, at the Bea House - how could he not, since it was IN THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER more than once starting a dozen years ago. So his denial of this knowledge, in a letter that he penned, is pretty bewildering. And he should be taken to task for it. Did he know that Poole and perhaps other molesters were roaming around campus unsupervised? Highly unlikely. And I don't think McCulloh is a bad guy at all. But he (IMHO) chose to lie publicly in this particular instance. Which was stupid, when any idiot Coug could simply read all the articles that pretty much prove that he had to know.

Case - yeah $5 says that you will never see him on the bench or on the Gonzaga plane ever again. Another $5 says that he will have retired by January 1. Quietly. Maybe at the Bea House. He should be shamed.

I know I come off like some dirt-digging Gonzaga hater. So what - I do hate Gonzaga, and everything they stand for. A basketball team with a middling college attached. And I make no apologies about it. As far as a couple of other posters' comments about Jesuits and Catholics in general, well I am just not going there. I do feel very bad for all the harm that was done, and the lack of punishment that was (wasn't) doled out.

Edit - Quote from Friday's Spokesman article. They clearly read my posts:
"Gonzaga President Thayne McCulloh has saidit was not until 2016” that he learned about the accused priests who had lived at Bea House, although The Spokesman-Review and other news outlets began publishing stories about the issue as early as 2004. McCulloh joined Gonzaga’s staff in 1990, became interim president in 2009 and took the position permanently in 2010."

Ummm - you lied.....

Last edited:
Well I think it is obvious that McCulloh knew there were molesters, and specifically this Poole guy, at the Bea House - how could he not, since it was IN THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER more than once starting a dozen years ago. So his denial of this knowledge, in a letter that he penned, is pretty bewildering. And he should be taken to task for it. Did he know that Poole and perhaps other molesters were roaming around campus unsupervised? Highly unlikely. And I don't think McCulloh is a bad guy at all. But he (IMHO) chose to lie publicly in this particular instance. Which was stupid, when any idiot Coug could simply read all the articles that pretty much prove that he had to know.

Case - yeah $5 says that you will never see him on the bench or on the Gonzaga plane ever again. Another $5 says that he will have retired by January 1. Quietly. Maybe at the Bea House. He should be shamed.

I know I come off like some dirt-digging Gonzaga hater. So what - I do hate Gonzaga, and everything they stand for. A basketball team with a middling college attached. And I make no apologies about it. As far as a couple of other posters' comments about Jesuits and Catholics in general, well I am just not going there. I do feel very bad for all the harm that was done, and the lack of punishment that was (wasn't) doled out.
Well I can think it but won't call you names. At least you acknowledge you don't have any objectivity when it comes to Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT