ADVERTISEMENT

MSU staff changes

I would wait and see where he goes with his OC first before jumping one way or another.

Also it’s pretty unusual for assistants to be retained when there’s a coaching change. You might see one or two that stick around but for the most part they are either not retained or leave simply because they want to move on. Off the top of my head Mullen retained I think maybe one coach from Croom, Moorhead kept one coach from Mullen, and Leach kept no one from Moorhead. Those guys that had been with Leach so long probably didn’t want to stick around simply because Mikes not there. If you want to call Arnett dumb that’s fine but I’d wait and see what happens and how the staff shakes out before we start jumping to conclusions.

That’s just the nature of the beast and let’s be honest, Mike Leachs “pure form” of the air raid went away with his passing. Very few if anyone in college football from his coaching tree run the Air Raid like Mike did.

One other thing you guys seem to be overlooking about this "pure Air Raid" jargon is what the hell else was Leach going to run with the stiff you had at QB last year ? There is not another coach in the SEC that could win 9 games with that guy at QB.

Before he passed Leach was clearly developing guys : Robertson, Locke and Parson that would run a more dynamic form of the offense. This board more than any other can tell you Leach's offense looks totally different with Minshew running it instead of Falk. Irony is he still won with Falk but it became special with Minshew.

Last edited:
I would wait and see where he goes with his OC first before jumping one way or another.

Also it’s pretty unusual for assistants to be retained when there’s a coaching change. You might see one or two that stick around but for the most part they are either not retained or leave simply because they want to move on. Off the top of my head Mullen retained I think maybe one coach from Croom, Moorhead kept one coach from Mullen, and Leach kept no one from Moorhead. Those guys that had been with Leach so long probably didn’t want to stick around simply because Mikes not there. If you want to call Arnett dumb that’s fine but I’d wait and see what happens and how the staff shakes out before we start jumping to conclusions.

That’s just the nature of the beast and let’s be honest, Mike Leachs “pure form” of the air raid went away with his passing. Very few if anyone in college football from his coaching tree run the Air Raid like Mike did.

Yeah, new coaches clean house, but usually not that FAST.

Usually new HC's more slowly terminate coaches one by one, and retain 1,2,3, etc, coaches. Also the coaches he is retaining are the less important, no name coaches, instead of a either a important known main position coach, etc.

Also Arnett is not replacing the terminated coaches with Air Raid Coaches. I am not talking about PURE Leach Raid coaches either.

The MSU roster is configured in such a way that if it gets a PASSING offense, at least MODIFIED Air Raid, etc, instead of a RUN first, RPO, etc, offense, it will win 9,10 games next season, because of what LEACH BUILT.

Because of that a Smart HC doesn't come in and make FAST, GRAND SWEEPING termination, changes, and then replace the Passing, Air Raid attack with RPO, Run first, etc, and thus cause his important Pass, Air Raid QB's to leave, and WR's to leave.

A Smart HC TAKES HIS TIME, SLOWLY, GRADUALLY terminates, replaces the Air Raid coaches with more Passing, Modified Air Raid compatible coaches, and retains the QB coach an or WR coach for at least 6 months, 1 year, etc, and does everything in his power to retain his QB's, WR's, before SLOWLY, gradually replacing the QB coach, an or WR coach, if replace them at all.

Those QB's and WR's are the beating heart of a 9,10 game winning offense, next season. Only a fool jeopardizes that.

And usually a HC only makes FAST, grand, sweeping changes, IF the program is in a BAD, etc, state.

Example, when Mike Price left WSU, yes Doba made changes. But for the first 6 to 9 months for the sake of stability, he did not make fast changes, because he inherited a team that went to 2,3 straight 10 win seasons, he kept that intact, replaced Mike Price's PASSING OFFENSE coaches, with more PASSING OFFENSE coaches, and went 10-3, and beat Texas in Holiday bowl his first year, with Mike Price's players, before making changes his 2nd, 3rd years, and going 5-6 the rest of the 4,5 years he Doba was there.

If Doba had come in HARD, FAST, PURGED all of Mike Price's coaches as fast as possible, and had replaced them with RPO, run first, etc, instead of a another BIG TIME 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR, BIG TIME PASSING ATTACK, WSU would have only went 5-6 Doba's first year, instead of going 10-3, Holiday Bowl win vs Texas.

If Doba had been like Arnett, and done what Arnett is doing, he would have SUNK WSU his first year.

Arnett is SINKING, has Sunk MSU. He came in HARD, FAST, made GRAND, SWEEPING terminations, changes, replacements, and because of that caused his QB's, WR's to not want to stay for a 9,10 win season, if have a Passing/Air Raid offense, and caused them to leave. He hasn't retained any main positional offense coaches like the QB coach or WR coach for at least 6 to 9 to 12 months. And he has replaced them with RPO, run the QB, run oriented offensive coaches that ENDANGERS his QB's that not built for that, and because of ALL THAT, no wonder the QB's, WR's want to leave.

Also this is the Transfer Portal + NIL era. During this era new HC's can't afford to do it like they have done it in the past.

In the past, new HC's could make coaching changes without half the team leaving.

Nowadays if a new HC makes coaching changes, half the team enters the Transfer Portal, and so because of that, if you have a team that won 9 games, and is experienced, and likely to win 9 more games, the last thing you want to do is do it the way it has been done in past, and make FAST coaching changes on offense, and have the QB's, WR's leave via Portal, and only win 4,5,6, games, instead of 9,10 games because of that.

Instead a Smart HC temporarily keeps the status Quo, slowly, gradually phases in his changes, as he recruits to his changes, so that the QB's, WR's, HALF THE TEAM, don't leave via the Portal

Arnett is DESTROYING MSU. He came in HARD, FAST, PURGED the coaching staff with RPO, run the QB, run, run first, offense, caused the QB's, WR's to leave via the portal, and will probably only win 4,5,6 games, instead of 9,10 games he could have won if he had not done that.

Arnett is DESTROYING MSU, and what LEACH BUILT at MSU.

Sad that you, a MSU fan can't see that

Reactions: Chucksizzle1
When Mike Leach came here he terminated or didn’t retain any of the coaching staff that was here on day one. What’s the difference in what he did vs what Arnett did?

And let’s be clear the jury is still out on Arnett and what he does with the rest of his hires.

I’m sorry he got all up in your feelings because he didn’t keep all of Leachs coaches.

When Mike Leach came here he terminated or didn’t retain any of the coaching staff that was here on day one. What’s the difference in what he did vs what Arnett did?

And let’s be clear the jury is still out on Arnett and what he does with the rest of his hires.

I’m sorry he got all up in your feelings because he didn’t keep all of Leachs coaches.

If he liked the offense and had strong positive relationships with that side if the staff what is the likelihood he’d have kept the scheme and the staff?

If he liked the offense and had strong positive relationships with that side if the staff what is the likelihood he’d have kept the scheme and the staff?

I will hold judgement until I see whether if McBath, Washington, and Phelps get swept away with this. If they do it is not a side of the ball scheme thing PERIOD.

1. Back when Leach took over, the MSU program was NOT in a good state like how Leach left it.

2. If the MSU program had been in a good state back then, as it is now, Leach would have been slower to make changes,

3. The reason why Leach made changes, is that that quite frankly MSU needed the Air Raid, instead of the traditional SEC offense that caused MSU to not be effective.

4. Leach was hired to implement the Air Raid, not a traditional SEC offense at MSU, where Arnett was hired, and expected to keep either the Air Raid, or a BIG TIME PASSING ATTACK at MSU.

5. The transfer Portal + NIL wasn't back then what it is today. Leach didn't have to deal with that back then.

6. Because of that if Leach were taking over MSU this year as a New HC, Leach would probably do things a little more gradual, slowly, especially if MSU were likely to win 9,10 games with the traditional SEC offense, so as to win that 9,10 games, and so that half the offense, QB's, WR's wouldn't enter the transfer portal.

7. Also just because Leach did that, doesn't mean Arnett can do that also and win. Remember Leach's offense is designed to help a program like a WSU, MSU, Texas Tech, overcome their talent disadvantage comparative to rest of conference. Because of that Leach could come in make those changes, and win. But Arnett can not change to a Traditional SEC offense from the Air Raid and win, an or that not likely.

8. MSU wouldn't have hired Leach if MSU was winning 9,10 games a season. Leach is a reformer, changer, as his job is to fix, turn around programs.

9. Arnett was NOT being hired to fix, change, turn around the program, he was being hired to replace Leach, and CONTINUE what LEACH BUILT, and win 9,10,11 games his first year, since MSU was LIKELY to win 9,10,11 games, IF IF Arnett KEPT what Leach built.

Your comparing Apples to Oranges.

Leach's situation WAS DIFFERENT THEN ARNETT'S situation.

Arnett is DESTROYING what Leach built. He is coming in HARD, FAST, PURGING LEACH'S COACHES WITH BAD RPO, RUN THE QB, RUN FIRST, TRADITIONAL NON PASSING ATTACK, TRADITIONAL SEC OFFENSE, BAD REPLACEMENTS, AND CAUSING HALF, ALL THE OFFENSE PLAYERS TO LEAVE VIA THE PORTAL, which is going to cause MSU to only win about 4,5,6 games his first year, instead of 9,10,11 wins he would win by either being slower in replacing Leach offense coaches, or replacing Leach offense coaches with more HIGH POWERED, PROLIFIC PASSING ATTACK COACHES, thus likely KEEPING his QB's, WR's, and likely winning 9,10,11 games, instead of only winning the likely 4,5,6 games, he is likely to do now, because of FASTLY replacing Leach offense coaches with TRADITIONAL SEC OFFENSE coaches, and causing his QB's, WR's, etc, to leave via Portal.

Everyone but MSU fans like yourself can see it. It's even in the Sports news.

I will hold judgement until I see whether if McBath, Washington, and Phelps get swept away with this. If they do it is not a side of the ball scheme thing PERIOD.

Were these coaches hand picked by him? Or were they coaches he had to take because Leach hired them and then him?

Were these coaches hand picked by him? Or were they coaches he had to take because Leach hired them and then him?

They were obviously picked by Leach.

Look the disconnect here is if you see this as a normal coaching change or not .

With that said fortunately all of those guys are established enough to quickly land on their feet. I am sure they were not expecting to have to uproot their families so quickly after a 9 win season, but they will be fine. The only reason that I even have commented on this is whether any of them especially Miller may end up back at WSU.

Mike Leach was a national coach of the year and won at every outpost he went in to turn around.

Arnett is a first time head coach who has decided he’s smarter than Mike Leach and his recipe for success.

If you can’t understand the difference there’s not much left to say to counteract an often times incorrect stereotype of a Mississippi education.

They were obviously picked by Leach.

Look the disconnect here is if you see this as a normal coaching change or not .

With that said fortunately all of those guys are established enough to quickly land on their feet. I am sure they were not expecting to have to uproot their families so quickly after a 9 win season, but they will be fine. The only reason that I even have commented on this is whether any of them especially Miller may end up back at WSU.

I think it is normal to see a new HC fire the staff. Im not surprised at all that a guy could get promoted and fire the opposite side of the staff. Im not surprised that a coordinator would want to bring in his own people.

It’s coaching. People get fired. People also make bad business decisions because they have no experience in business. They’ve only been coaches.

Personally, I think you’d better be pretty f’ing amazing as an assistant coach to get a P5 HC job without any head coaching experience on your resume. Which is what Im assuming his resume looks like as he is a young guy.

theres Nothing normal about the train wreck in Starkville. If they are so insecure they want to scour the internet and censor any commentary on their floundering “rebuild” they can start with sec rant where there have been about 10 threads and hundreds of posts laughing at this insanity.

The two really bad public relations spins they have put out is 1) “the leach air raid dies with him and no one can run it now“.......Yea that’s why he has the biggest coaching tree in the country.

2) that their next season is a “rebuilding year” To lower expectations. Well I guess it is a rebuildping year if you burn the program to the ground and fire the entire staff. I’ve never seen a team come off a nine win season returning almost every starter with a bunch of seniors and call it a “rebuilding year”.

Not all of their fans are clueless, there are plenty I’ve seen on Twitter who are pointing their finger at the Hindenburg and saying hey that things on fire and it’s going to crash. Apparently they are just “trolls” .

phelps is Gone and Jason Washington was reported to be fired the day after the bowl game but there has been some backtracking on that, last report I saw said Mason Miller might be allowed to stay if he will be the running backs coach. They just lost a WKU tackle to Auburn because they have Taken away the O line duties from Miller.

Last edited:
I think it is normal to see a new HC fire the staff. Im not surprised at all that a guy could get promoted and fire the opposite side of the staff. Im not surprised that a coordinator would want to bring in his own people.

It’s coaching. People get fired. People also make bad business decisions because they have no experience in business. They’ve only been coaches.

Personally, I think you’d better be pretty f’ing amazing as an assistant coach to get a P5 HC job without any head coaching experience on your resume. Which is what Im assuming his resume looks like as he is a young guy.

Nobody is saying it's not ok to terminate, replace the current coaching staff, by a new incoming HC.

But there is a difference between coming in HARD, FAST, PURGING the coaching staff of a 9 win coach who died, and REPLACING that with a scheme, system, completely OPPOSITE of the WINNING scheme, system, EXPERIENCED, WINNING players of that WINNING, SUCCESSFUL coach who DIED, just because you think your Smarter, know better, want to use something the completely OPPOSITE of the 9 win, winning, successful coach who died's recipe for success.

There is a difference between doing that and coming in carefully, cautiously as a new, first time, untried HC, and SLOWLY, GRADUALLY PHASING IN, replacing the 9 win coach who died's coaching staff, with SIMILAR coaches, over 3 to 6 to 9 to 12+ months, etc, and making sure you don't lose your experienced, winning players to Transfer Portal, so that you can CONTINUE what the 9 win coach who died was doing to win 9+ games again.

IF IT ISNT BROKE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO MAKE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE CHANGES TO TRY TO FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN.

It's expected that IN TIME, the new coach will EVENTUALLY replace the coaching staff, and the old coaches players with new players, new coaches, and his way of doing things.

But making such EXTREME, RADICAL changes, so QUICKLY is extremely bad in a situation where the old coach won 9 games, and was going to win 9 more games, when he died.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it with completely different, opposite, extreme, radical, etc, way.

theres Nothing normal about the train wreck in Starkville. If they are so insecure they want to scour the internet and censor any commentary on their floundering “rebuild” they can start with sec rant where there have been about 10 threads and hundreds of posts laughing at this insanity.

The two really bad public relations spins they have put out is 1) “the leach air raid dies with him and no one can run it now“.......Yea that’s why he has the biggest coaching tree in the country.

2) that their next season is a “rebuilding year” To lower expectations. Well I guess it is a rebuildping year if you burn the program to the ground and fire the entire staff. I’ve never seen a team come off a nine win season returning almost every starter with a bunch of seniors and call it a “rebuilding year”.

Not all of their fans are clueless, there are plenty I’ve seen on Twitter who are pointing their finger at the Hindenburg and saying hey that things on fire and it’s going to crash. Apparently they are just “trolls” .

It is a little goofy that a Miss. guy felt the need to poke his head in here to defend the honor of school.

If Arnett is making the right moves own them , not seeing the need to go around to random boards defending them. He is only here because it is free, hate to break it to him there are plenty of pay boards that are having similar discussions.

The part I really never understood about the Miss. people dissing the offense as they could see with their own eyes Leach was milking everything he could from a QB that would not start at many if any other P5 programs. He was playing the hand he was dealt because he was left with nothing from the former guy and was buying time to bring his recruits along rather than throwing them into the fire.

One other thing you guys seem to be overlooking about this "pure Air Raid" jargon is what the hell else we Leach going to run with the stiff you had at QB last year ? There is not another coach in the SEC that could win 9 games with that guy at QB.

Before he passed Leach was clearly developing guys : Robertson, Locke and Parson that would run a more dynamic form of the offense. This board more than any other can tell you Leach's offense looks totally different with
It is a little goofy that a Miss. guy felt the need to poke his head in here to defend the honor of school.

If Arnett is making the right moves own them , not seeing the need to go around to random boards defending them. He is only here because it is free, hate to break it to him there are plenty of pay boards that are having similar discussions.

The part I really never understood about the Miss. people dissing the offense as they could see with their own eyes Leach was milking everything he could from a QB that would not start at many if any other P5 programs. He was playing the hand he was dealt because he was left with nothing from the former guy and was buying time to bring his recruits along rather than throwing them into the fire.

Minshew running it instead of Falk. Irony is he still won with Falk but it became special with Minshew.
the Spin now is that they won nine in spite of Leachs offense, that it was terrible and the defense won them nine games. Boy are they going to see just how good Leach was over the next two years.
I have chatted with some old time State fans who are intelligent successful people and they have told me that what is really driving this is boosters, hangers on and local media guys who want access and control. They dont care if they lose as long as they have access and control, allegedly they instructed Arnett to bring in high school coach Peterson and former player Bumphis. I think that is plausible. Arnett doesn’t strike me as very bright and he has no real coaching connections any where.

you think of Leach, he put in all of those years as a position coach a coordinator and saw first hand how a program is supposed to be run, what norms and boundaries should be for the program, he had a lot of mentors and Connections. Contrast that with Arnett. He’s clueless. if he had any sense he would have tried to soak up everything he could from Leach, he clearly turned his nose up at that. He knows better.

its Going to be a short stay in the sec for Arnett. The fan base is extremely negative and will turn on him after the offense stagnates and the losses pile up next year, but certainly the year after when the bottom falls out and Leachs players are gone.

you are spot on about Rogers, it’s a testament to Leachs coaching that he could win nine with that guy no one else could. What I think Leach finally did prove, he could win big in the sec and yes his system would work. Because I’d bet my last dollar if he had ever gotten a Minshew level qb they would have been challenging for the top of the sec and a top ten team. They almost did it with what is a shaky division two guy.

the Spin now is that they won nine in spite of Leachs offense, that it was terrible and the defense won them nine games. Boy are they going to see just how good Leach was over the next two years.
I have chatted with some old time State fans who are intelligent successful people and they have told me that what is really driving this is boosters, hangers on and local media guys who want access and control. They dont care if they lose as long as they have access and control, allegedly they instructed Arnett to bring in high school coach Peterson and former player Bumphis. I think that is plausible. Arnett doesn’t strike me as very bright and he has no real coaching connections any where.

you think of Leach, he put in all of those years as a position coach a coordinator and saw first hand how a program is supposed to be run, what norms and boundaries should be for the program, he had a lot of mentors and Connections. Contrast that with Arnett. He’s clueless. if he had any sense he would have tried to soak up everything he could from Leach, he clearly turned his nose up at that. He knows better.

its Going to be a short stay in the sec for Arnett. The fan base is extremely negative and will turn on him after the offense stagnates and the losses pile up next year, but certainly the year after when the bottom falls out and Leachs players are gone.

you are spot on about Rogers, it’s a testament to Leachs coaching that he could win nine with that guy no one else could. What I think Leach finally did prove, he could win big in the sec and yes his system would work. Because I’d bet my last dollar if he had ever gotten a Minshew level qb they would have been challenging for the top of the sec and a top ten team. They almost did it with what is a shaky division two guy.
People forget Minshew wasn't a Minshew level QB until Leach got him.

Braedyn Locke to Wisconsin , Fickell/Longo running the air raid. Apparently top programs think very highly of the qbs Leach recruited. Goobers in Starkville won’t see another four star qb For a few decades, just need someone to hand it off forty times a game, that air raid stuff doesn’t work.

I may be rooting for Wisconsin when Longo names Locke the starter. Longo knows how good Locke is.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Braedyn Locke to Wisconsin , Fickell/Longo running the air raid. Apparently top programs think very highly of the qbs Leach recruited. Goobers in Starkville won’t see another four star qb For a few decades, just need someone to hand it off forty times a game, that air raid stuff doesn’t work.

I may be rooting for Wisconsin when Longo names Locke the starter. Longo knows how good Locke is.

If Wiscy adds it to their run game, sure. If they go all in on passing every down, 21 points per game. Air raid is over. It either adapts and gets better or it’s the new wishbone.

If Wiscy adds it to their run game, sure. If they go all in on passing every down, 21 points per game. Air raid is over. It either adapts and gets better or it’s the new wishbone.
Fickell/Longo know what they are doing. they will put up points, do you know what the state of Wisconsin is ? It’s an O line factory.

point here is they just poached a special,player. Locke is going to be a good one.

This just finished season, Wisconsin didn't run the Air Raid, and that was probably with Fickell/Longo, unless the Wiscy coach was fired and replaced with Fickell, Longo.

And Wiscy's supposedly NFL BIG RB, ran it a LOT in a NON Air Raid, and racked up SEMI LOTS of RUSHING YARDS.

Why would Braedyn Locke Air Raid QB go-to WISCY to hand the ball off 33 times per game?

Only reason I can think of is NIL.

If he got enough NIL, then doesn't matter if he hands the ball off 33 times per game.

This just finished season, Wisconsin didn't run the Air Raid, and that was probably with Fickell/Longo, unless the Wiscy coach was fired and replaced with Fickell, Longo.

And Wiscy's supposedly NFL BIG RB, ran it a LOT in a NON Air Raid, and racked up SEMI LOTS of RUSHING YARDS.

Why would Braedyn Locke Air Raid QB go-to WISCY to hand the ball off 33 times per game?

Only reason I can think of is NIL.

If he got enough NIL, then doesn't matter if he hands the ball off 33 times per game.
fickell/longo are new coaching staff Mik and they are installing the air raid. Locke is their guy, probably in 2024. They will be really good in a couple of years. They will always run the ball now they are going to open the offense up, Wisconsin as a state produces O lineman probably better than any other Per capita.

as far as the big ten goes, I’ve always liked Iowa but will be really interesting to watch Locke up there, he reminds me of Drew Brees, cool as a cucumber and very smart with a big arm.

Last edited:
Fickell/Longo know what they are doing. they will put up points, do you know what the state of Wisconsin is ? It’s an O line factory.

point here is they just poached a special,player. Locke is going to be a good one.

Im aware of Wisconsin’s OL history.

Serious- we are this connected to MSU? I am not sure MSU was blown away with Mike's hiring after two years. What was the guys record who preceded Leach?

It is normal coaches clean house. Better to lose with guys you know and respect and respect you vs ones that will stab you in the back.

What was Leach’s record at wsu ? What was his record in 2019. Did he really leave this juggernaut ?

Mike Leach for whatever reason struggled evaluating high level high school qb’s. It was walkons , seniors , transfers who helped him have success, not Bruggman, Bender , and a pretty long list of high school disappointments .

So the kids who transferred from MSU … would they be any different from Bruggman and his career ?

Last edited:
Do you hate watching offense? 🤣
Iowa’s offense is horrible. Brian Ferentz needs to be fired, Kirk Ferentz is really messing up by keeping his son at OC. It’s unbelievable how bad that offense was, it’s like something out of the 1920s with horrible qb play.
their defense is great as usual with the best punter in the country, they play field position and beat teams 5-3 with a field goal and a safety. I lived in Iowa at the end of Hayden Frys tenure and like Iowa city, great college town. I still root for them as far as the big ten goes.

if Iowa had an offense they would have been very good this year. For a state of 3 million and a roster made up almost entirely of Iowa kids they produce a lot of underrated talent. They put a lot of players in the nfl kittle, hockenson of late. Some good genetics in that state.

Iowa’s offense is horrible. Brian Ferentz needs to be fired, Kirk Ferentz is really messing up by keeping his son at OC. It’s unbelievable how bad that offense was, it’s like something out of the 1920s with horrible qb play.
their defense is great as usual with the best punter in the country, they play field position and beat teams 5-3 with a field goal and a safety. I lived in Iowa at the end of Hayden Frys tenure and like Iowa city, great college town. I still root for them as far as the big ten goes.

if Iowa had an offense they would have been very good this year. For a state of 3 million and a roster made up almost entirely of Iowa kids they produce a lot of underrated talent. They put a lot of players in the nfl kittle, hockenson of late. Some good genetics in that state.

Iowa City was bar after bar after bar after bar after blonde after blonde after blonde after blonde…. good times

Mason Miller officially fired. Will be interesting to see who offers him a job.

App State, sunbelt OC Kevin Barbary went 3-5 in his one year there, hired as new MSU OC. Runs a McElwain run heavy offense.

DL coach Phelps also fired.

makes a lot of sense now why they blew up the staff and tanked a ten win team so they could get a G5 OC mcelwain disciple in there, LOL

in addition to losing two 4 star qbs. Rumors now several receivers will be hitting the portal.

Last edited:
  • Wow

App State, sunbelt OC Kevin Barbary went 3-5 in his one year there, hired as new MSU OC. Runs a McElwain run heavy offense.

makes a lot of sense now why they blew up the staff and tanked a ten win team so they could get a G5 OC mcelwain disciple in there, LOL

That's even worse then North Texas's hire of Morris. At least Morris, bad as he was, had a 7 win season.

Hiring a RUN HEAVY OC that the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the 9,10 win coach who literally died's system, PLAYERS, AND where that RUN HEAVY OC ONLY WON 3 GAMES, at a G5, IS ONE OF THE STUPIDEST BAD HIRES EVER.

If it was a NFL team, I'd wonder if Arnett, were TRYING TO TANK, DESTROY THE SEASON, TO GET THE #1 PICK IN DRAFT. that's how bad ARNETT'S SPEEDY, BAD FIRINGS, AND HIRES HAVE BEEN.

And MSU fans are STUPID ENOUGH to support that.

That's even technically worse then the Paul Wulf hire, as at least Paul Wulf at least had lots of wins, etc, at EWU.

Can you imagine if Paul Wulf had only won 3 games at EWU, and then got hired by WSU, and then had gone 9-40?

What MSU, Arnett is doing is kinda, sorta like something like that.

Also at least Paul Wulf was a Passing ATTACK coach. Can you imagine how much more worse it would have been if Paul Wulf had been a RUN HEAVY POWER RUN 79% OF TIME OFFENSE that then hired a RUN HEAVY POWER RUN OC?

Either Arnett is STUPIDEST new HC ever, or he hates Mike Leach an or Air Raid, and is trying to DESTROY what Leach built, even if it were to miraculously work for him next season somehow.

Not sure who is stupider, Arnett, MSU, fans of MSU, etc.

in addition to losing two 4 star qbs. Rumors now several receivers will be hitting the portal.

So they are going to try to run an RPO with their current QB ? That guy did not really even have the mobility to run an effective air raid. He is basically Luke Falk with a weaker arm. That will not work so obviously they will have to hit the portal. Good luck with that most quality recruits do not go play for an OC that they have to google his name after he contacts them. Transfer QB's are looking for quick success and not into trying help an unknown from Appy State trying to prove himself at a major college level.

Just glad Sawyer and Locke had good adult advise in their lives and were able to quickly hit the exit door. This really is exactly a situation where the Portal is needed and beneficial. If some meathead suddenly gets in charge of a program, you should not lock the kids into having to stay there.

Last edited:
So they are going to try to run an RPO with their current QB ? That guy did not really even have the mobility to run an effective air raid. He is basically Luke Falk with a weaker arm. Basically that will not work so obviously they will have to hit the portal. Good luck with that most quality recruits do not go play for an OC that they have to google his name after he contacts them. Transfer QB's are looking for quick success and not into trying help an unknown from Appy State trying to prove himself at a major college level.

Just glad Sawyer and Locke had good adult advise in their lives and were able to quickly hit the exit door. This really is exactly a situation where the Portal is needed and beneficial. If some meathead suddenly gets in charge of a program, you should not lock the kids into having to stay there.
youre Right about that . Sawyer and Locke had good advice to get out when they did.

I think the portal closes in a few days, App,State had 8 tight ends on the roster and a bunch of backs. MSU have zero tight ends or h backs. MSU is not going to be able to get the additions to the roster until the portal reopens in the spring, they will then miss out on spring practice while the new system is being installed. Whoever thinks this is intelligently thought out is nuts.
it’s really hard to understand why a program would throw away a ten win season when it happens about once every 100 years.

Mason Miller and a few talented receivers might end up at WSU.

Luke Falk is Bo Jackson next to Will Rogers, I’m pretty sure my grandmother could run down Rogers.

Last edited:
youre Right about that . Sawyer and Locke had good advice to get out when they did.

I think the portal closes in a few days, App,State had 8 tight ends on the roster and a bunch of backs. MSU have zero tight ends or h backs. MSU is not going to be able to get the additions to the roster until the portal reopens in the spring, they will then miss out on spring practice while the new system is being installed. Whoever thinks this is intelligently thought out is nuts.
it’s really hard to understand why a program would throw away a ten win season when it happens about once every 100 years.

Mason Miller and a few talented receivers might end up at WSU.

Luke Falk is Bo Jackson next to Will Rogers, I’m pretty sure my grandmother could run down Rogers.

It was my understanding that the portal does not close altogether. It is closed to new entries. Whoever is in, is in and is free to do business.

It was my understanding that the portal does not close altogether. It is closed to new entries. Whoever is in, is in and is free to do business.
My understanding, or what I’m hearing, is that it closes in a week or so and reopens in the spring. It’s like a second round. I think most of the good affordable players will be gone, but there may be kids like MSU receivers that use it as a second chance to get out. Hopefully Cougs get a few of them, along with Miller.

Also the NCAA just now created a NEW TRANSFER PORTAL RULE.

Now the Transfer Portal can only be used ONE AND ONLY ONE TIME PERIOD, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Saw it on the news.

No more using the transfer portal year after year with 1 year sit out penalties after the first time, to CONSTANTLY go NIL SHOPPING EVERY YEAR.

Yep no more of that allowed. Can now only NIL shop VIA the Transfer Portal ONE TIME PERIOD.

New rule will help a wee little tiny bit to balance things out a wee tiny little bit and help stop teams from losing 30 players to the transfer portal in a year, or every year, help stop that a wee tiny little bit.

Also will increase the number of transfer portal players, colleges get, as if they get a player from the Portal, that player can't be portaled away to another team.

Under the old way, A college that got a player from portal could technically have player leave by portal again with a sit out 1 year penalty. Under the new way no more of that.

Time for WSU to grab even more players from portal so that WSU can NOT lose more players to the Portal.

Great new rule the NCAA made. About time.

What you got on Bud Wilkinson?? You still have that Austin Sheppard?

My understanding, or what I’m hearing, is that it closes in a week or so and reopens in the spring. It’s like a second round. I think most of the good affordable players will be gone, but there may be kids like MSU receivers that use it as a second chance to get out. Hopefully Cougs get a few of them, along with Miller.

Closes meaning no new entries. Not closed meaning it turns off altogether. Once you are in you can still sign.

Closes meaning no new entries. Not closed meaning it turns off altogether. Once you are in you can still sign.
the Rule is the first portal period is open for 45 days after the college football,playoffs are announced, then closes. It reopens again on may first but for only 15 days.

the Rule is the first portal period is open for 45 days after the college football,playoffs are announced, then closes. It reopens again on may first but for only 15 days.

The portal closes for new entries. It doesn’t close altogether. Kids already in it can still sign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT