ADVERTISEMENT

New OL commit

And we're only allowed to win with an upperclassman at QB.

Man, they took him even they he only had scholarships from San Diego and San Jose State??? Do we compete with those schools to get Olinemen?? Sorry, that an actual imitation of a poster who scoffed when I suggested we should of offered Ty Sambrailo....a guy who could do back flips at 6-5 260. Are we competing with Colorado State now?????? ?????? ??? ???????? ????

Man, they took him even they he only had scholarships from San Diego and San Jose State??? Do we compete with those schools to get Olinemen?? Sorry, that an actual imitation of a poster who scoffed when I suggested we should of offered Ty Sambrailo....a guy who could do back flips at 6-5 260. Are we competing with Colorado State now?????? ?????? ??? ???????? ????

Jaelen Lewis, 6-6,270, from Antelope, Calif. Nice frame set up to put on some weight. Reminds me of the recruit Joseph Price, who didn't qualify. Is Price going the Juco route?

This kid has great feet and explodes off the ball He looks like he needs a couple of years in the weight room. It is hard to teach fast quick feet with very good lateral movement he is a very good prospect

the iron laws dictate that we can't get more than one or two OL per year, it simply can't be done at WSU

I know that this thread is in good fun but WSU had 5 OL commits prior to the end of Wulff's final season. Every once in a while, he pulled his head up from the gumbo.

FWIW, I expect one more OL in this class. This class needs at least two DL guys and probably three. Probably could use one more cornerback and linebacker. That would put us at 24 commits. Throw in an "athlete" and this class is done.

Last edited:
I know that this thread is in good fun but WSU had 5 OL commits prior to the end of Wulff's final season. Every once in a while, he pulled his head up from the gumbo.

FWIW, I expect one more OL in this class. This class needs at least two DL guys and probably three. Probably could use one more cornerback and linebacker. That would put us at 24 commits. Throw in an "athlete" and this class is done.

Out of desperation when it was obvious even to him he had no lineman. Good coaches (heck, even most dumb one's) recruit enough each year to at least have enough bodies to compete each year.

Regarding the offensive line, I would like to see Frederick Mauigoa from American Samoa. I hope there are one or two more players as well.

What a joke. Competing with Sacramento State? UNLV? What is Leach thinking? He is quickly becoming Wulff Too.

You look at his tape and he has great feet. He is a two star on Scout. He is not even rated on Rivals. I think Antelope must be out of the way and he has not really been looked at by the two rating services.

I do wish this entire class was higher rated. I don't pretend to be an expert at evaluation. But, when you look at tape of several of these two star players, they really look good. Especially at positions that WSU has shown to be great at evaluating players like the OL and WR.

Cole Madison, Andre Dillard and Cedric Bigge-Duren were all two stars and the lowest rated lineman of each class. They may be the best lineman of each class.

I look as Steven Houston who is a two star. But, when I looked at tape, I saw a Dahu Green clone. Green was the highly rated WR that picked Oklahoma after we lost our WR coach to Oklahoma.

I do wish the two rating services had all these players rated higher, but only to validate what I am seeing. However, I do trust what Leach and his coaching staff is seeing.

Maybe 2 DE, DT, 1-2 LB, 1-2 OLM, RB. It depends slightly on whether they can get a prized mid-year JC. It might be interesting to see what types/sizes of players the young DC wants to see at DE and LB after a few months of tinkering with his scheme. That would be a good question for a reporter.

Has anyone noticed the ad song "get all your gifts from Wal Mart".......South Park heaven :p

Last edited:
Like 1990 I want the big OL from AS. Regarded as the best player on The Rock and that is good enough for me. Throw in some defensive beef and maybe another promising OL and I am happy. Add a couple of LBs and then cherry pick for the best available athlete at other positions.

Not sure if you're counting him, but Toki (hopefully) will be part of this class as well. Haven't heard anything, but would be nice if Joseph Price got his academics ironed out and signed this year too.

I'm pretty confident Coach Joe will pull in a DL from AS as well. In fact, news can be so slow coming out of there, he may already have.

Not sure if you're counting him, but Toki (hopefully) will be part of this class as well. Haven't heard anything, but would be nice if Joseph Price got his academics ironed out and signed this year too.

I'm pretty confident Coach Joe will pull in a DL from AS as well. In fact, news can be so slow coming out of there, he may already have.
What is going on with Price? Anybody know? I was pleased to have him commit last year especially considering his family problems. Got to admire and pull for a kid who can swim against the current. It would be nice to see him rejoin the Cougs.

you might be right- and I hope that you are- stating that Salave'a has a secret DL commit stashed away in AS.

Yeah Fab it's a pretty good assumption that we'll pull in some more Poly power.

Fredrick Mauigoa OL (4 Star) Tafuna HS (Where Coach Joe's Brother Coaches... uh...yeah we know he's probably going to be a Coug and fit right in.
(2017) Falaniko (Leone HS)

Also we have offers to Tupai and others out there. Coach Joe will bring in the poly family.

Yeah Fab it's a pretty good assumption that we'll pull in some more Poly power.

Fredrick Mauigoa OL (4 Star) Tafuna HS (Where Coach Joe's Brother Coaches... uh...yeah we know he's probably going to be a Coug and fit right in.
(2017) Falaniko (Leone HS)

Also we have offers to Tupai and others out there. Coach Joe will bring in the poly family.

Mr.Mauigoa...
3670564.jpg

You look at his tape and he has great feet. He is a two star on Scout. He is not even rated on Rivals. I think Antelope must be out of the way and he has not really been looked at by the two rating services.

I do wish this entire class was higher rated. I don't pretend to be an expert at evaluation. But, when you look at tape of several of these two star players, they really look good. Especially at positions that WSU has shown to be great at evaluating players like the OL and WR.

Cole Madison, Andre Dillard and Cedric Bigge-Duren were all two stars and the lowest rated lineman of each class. They may be the best lineman of each class.

I look as Steven Houston who is a two star. But, when I looked at tape, I saw a Dahu Green clone. Green was the highly rated WR that picked Oklahoma after we lost our WR coach to Oklahoma.

I do wish the two rating services had all these players rated higher, but only to validate what I am seeing. However, I do trust what Leach and his coaching staff is seeing.

Before we start beating our chest about how great our OL is, let's not forget, in conference play, we are averaging 3.1 yards per rush, Colorado is the only other team that averages less than 4, Oregon averages more than 6. We are last in the conference in sacks allowed. We have surrendered more sacks already, than all last year. Falk gets sacked once every 13 attempts, in a wide splits, "pitch and catch" system. UCLA allows a sack every 29 attempts, and they throw down field. No QB in the conference has been hammered like Falk. We are winning because of Falk and the fact that he is a tough SOB, not because of good OL play.

Quality OL recruits are a definite and major need. Based on our OL play, the recruiting service ratings appear spot on.

Leach told everybody he was going to take 5 linemen every year.

He has. To my knowledge, no other coach at WSU has invested ao much into the O-line. His strategy and methods seem to be working well.

What am I missing here?

I don't think Leach is completely happy with the O line... He has said plenty of good things about them, but knows there can be a hell of a lot of improvement there.... keep taking the big boys , 5 a year!

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I don't think Leach is completely happy with the O line... He has said plenty of good things about them, but knows there can be a hell of a lot of improvement there.... keep taking the big boys , 5 a year!
I have to agree and I don't say that as a slam to the boys we have. I also don't agree with what E.D. is trying to sell. But I don't think CML is happy. When you look at what he had during his golden years at TT, he's a looooong ways from that, right now. But this is where I think we are… In an analogy, I'd probably say we are in year 1 or 2 of CML's TT tenure. He has some solid boys, he's able to make his "system" work pretty well. But by no means is he (WSU football program) in the TOP 10 in the nation, either. EDIT: But ultimately, that also took him 6 or so years to become "elite". If we are in year 1 or 2 in that analogy, if we have patience and all works as it did at TT (HUUUUUGE assumption there), in another 5 years and the progress will be staggering.

We are building and to see the fruits of his and his staff's hard work, the boys hard work is exciting and to start seeing a glimmer of what "could be" in the future when making analogies of TT… it's just exciting to see, as well.

It's the old negative sack yardage taken out of rushing totals. So 3.1 yards per rush.....................
Bingo. This is the dead bird in that ointment. We pass a lot and therefore are prone to more sacks than others. Since the sacks count against rushing yards, the rushing totals look worse than they really are. This method of computing rushing yardage makes no sense to me at all. If the QB is trying to run from the start and is tackled behind the line, then, yes, subtract the yardage from the rushing total. If an obvious passing attempt then list the loss yards as "team" under the passing totals. This would give a better view of rushing and passing success than the currently used compilation does.

Yes, Falk gets hammered a lot. But in Leach's system he passes a lot and spends most plays with large humans running toward him with bad intentions. Leach has mentioned accuracy as the primary attribute he looks for in a QB recruit as well as other virtues. One thing he has not mentioned is that whoever is the QB in the air raid had better be damned rugged because he is going to be tested and hit a lot. This also corresponds with the need for a good O-line in the air raid.

Out of desperation when it was obvious even to him he had no lineman. Good coaches (heck, even most dumb one's) recruit enough each year to at least have enough bodies to compete each year.

Regarding the offensive line, I would like to see Frederick Mauigoa from American Samoa. I hope there are one or two more players as well.
You don't consider Doba smart? His line recruiting was an absolute disaster. from 04 to 06 one lineman per class actually stuck around. Go five years and you have one unit.

Leach told everybody he was going to take 5 linemen every year.

He has. To my knowledge, no other coach at WSU has invested ao much into the O-line. His strategy and methods seem to be working well.

What am I missing here?

When you look at offensive line recruiting, nobody recruits more OL than Leach. It's been a while since I looked, but as a I recall, the average for a dozen different programs that I looked at was somewhere just over 3 HS linemen per year on average. Here is his list at Tech:

2002: 4
2003: 4
2004: 4
2005: 5
2006: 7 (34 commits total!)
2007: 7 (27 commits)
2008: 3 (15 commits)
2009: 4 (25 commits)

He had 5 years with around 4 linemen and 3 years where he took 5+ linemen. There had to be some grade risks in those 2006 and 2007 classes given their ridiculous sizes. I don't know what this means but it's obvious that Leach will take 5 OL players if he thinks he needs it....he'll take less if he doesn't.

You don't consider Doba smart? His line recruiting was an absolute disaster. from 04 to 06 one lineman per class actually stuck around. Go five years and you have one unit.

Yes let's look at the "actually stuck around"

2008 Wulff
Tim Hodgdon - Ended up filing a lawsuit
Alex Reitnouer - Barely played as a fresh never saw the field again.
Zack Williams - Stuck

1 Player Stuck...1 player sued...

But DOBA was the disaster...right? Shall we continue...

William Prescott - Not on the roster in 2011. Bust
Sebastian Valenzuela - Retired Concussions

So that was 0-2

2010 - The miracle OL year

Fullington - Stuck it out and got to play in the post season in college unlike the rest. - Stick

Jacobsen - Barely played in 2011 back injury...Played in 2012. (stick)

Rodgers - Cry baby whiner. tweeted Leach is not a good coach....Leach is in the running for Pac-12 Coach of the Year and National Coach of the year, and since Rodgers departure we've gone to 2 bowl games. He was as dumb as his stupid hair.

Gonzales - Injured played only partially his first year. Played in 2011. Stick.

So in the "best year" We had 3 sticks, and a crybaby.

Total over 3 years... a total of 4 sticks. That's how insanely bad Wulff was with the line.

Honestly he should never be allowed to coach or touch anything offensive related ever. EVER. THE GUY PLAYED OL FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Every time I look at this 3 year stretch it's very obviously clear he was stupid. Like IQ of 70 stupid.

So don't tell people Doba this or Doba that. NO.. IT WAS PAULIE AND HE WAS AN IDIOT.

What is going on with Price? Anybody know? I was pleased to have him commit last year especially considering his family problems. Got to admire and pull for a kid who can swim against the current. It would be nice to see him rejoin the Cougs.

you might be right- and I hope that you are- stating that Salave'a has a secret DL commit stashed away in AS.

I had read somewhere that Tago & Sakaria actually verballed in like August, but news didn't break till December. Hoping that's the case again this year.

It's the old negative sack yardage taken out of rushing totals. So 3.1 yards per rush.....................
If we cut our sack totals and lost yardage in half our yards per rush would remain below 4.0 at 3.7 yards per attempt. We still have given up more sacks in 7 conference games than we gave up in 9 last year. QBs get hit, but our OL could protect Falk a whole lot better, unless you are in complete denial. In this offense, the rush average can, and has approached 5.0 per attempt and given up fewer than a sack per game (TT 2008). On offense we are winning because of Falk, not because the OL is blocking or protecting well. We need to face facts - next to last in yards per rush and last in sacks.

If we cut our sack totals and lost yardage in half our yards per rush would remain below 4.0 at 3.7 yards per attempt. We still have given up more sacks in 7 conference games than we gave up in 9 last year. QBs get hit, but our OL could protect Falk a whole lot better, unless you are in complete denial. In this offense, the rush average can, and has approached 5.0 per attempt and given up fewer than a sack per game (TT 2008). On offense we are winning because of Falk, not because the OL is blocking or protecting well. We need to face facts - next to last in yards per rush and last in sacks.

Gerard Wicks has 82 carries for 434 yards which is 5.3 yards per carry.
Jamal Morrow has 38 carries for 243 yards which is 6.4 yards per carry.
Keith Harrington has 31 carries for 222 yards which is 7.2 yards per carry.

Still, I agree that Falk is a huge reason why WSU is winning. The defense and getting turnovers is another huge reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT