ADVERTISEMENT

New Oregon coach

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Willie Taggert from USF is new Oregon coach. He runs a high power offense and posted a 10-2 record this year. He is a top recruiter and beat out the cougs on a couple of recruits.He will get the Ducks back in the chase

May be an excellent hire, but his USF team is not very good on defense....120th out of 128 FBS teams and giving up a whopping 482 yards per game. (WSU was 69th, for comparison). Of course, USF was better than the Ducks on defense, UO gave up 518 yards per game. A lot of my Duck friends were hoping for somebody who will fix that defense. Maybe Taggart will hire a really good DC.

Glad Cougar

Willie Taggert from USF is new Oregon coach. He runs a high power offense and posted a 10-2 record this year. He is a top recruiter and beat out the cougs on a couple of recruits.He will get the Ducks back in the chase

What recruits did USF beat WSU for?

And I mean like legitimately beat out, not just "Rivals shows we offered this guy". I looked through their recent commit lists and the only name I recognized was Tramal Ivy, who I think we maybe offered out of high school, but he went to a JC and later signed with USF.

What recruits did USF beat WSU for?

And I mean like legitimately beat out, not just "Rivals shows we offered this guy". I looked through their recent commit lists and the only name I recognized was Tramal Ivy, who I think we maybe offered out of high school, but he went to a JC and later signed with USF.

Is it possible that he was referring back to Taggert's days at Stanford?

Pretty underwhelming hire for a team that wants to regain national power status. They would have been so dangerous with Briles - imagine him with Oregon resouces - but he was radioactive.

Pretty underwhelming hire for a team that wants to regain national power status. They would have been so dangerous with Briles - imagine him with Oregon resouces - but he was radioactive.

I'm actually proud of the ducks for avoiding Briles. From what I've read, he's a complete piece of trash.

Not sure about the names above, but wasn't "Taggart" the name of the guy in Blazing Saddles played by Slim Pickins?

Glad Cougar
Nope. Don't you dare Google or Wikipedia this:
This film was the highest-grossing film of 1984 in the U.S.

Anyone remember Taggart in the 1984 Movie?

Last edited:
Yeah he was Billy Rosewood's partner.

(And Briles is a disgusting human being.)
Agreed on Briles.

And I was just watching this movie(s) yesterday! #1 and #2 were the best. I actually think I'd lean a bit to #2 being better but man... good stuff.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
There have been a few. let s see the last one was Darnell Solomon WR who had problems but the cougs went after really hard. I am too lazy to do any research but suffice to say there were others.

Agreed on Briles.
I hope our fans can find it in themselves to apply the same scrutiny to their own players / coaches / adjacents that they apply to those outside the team. As someone with stakes in a few teams, it's both predictable and alarming how the reaction across teams goes from innocent until proven guilty ("us"), to guilty until proven innocent ("them"). I'd like to think Cougs are different.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
Agreed on Briles.

And I was just watching this movie(s) yesterday! #1 and #2 were the best. I actually think I'd lean a bit to #2 being better but man... good stuff.

Police Chief Hubbard: Is this the gentleman who crashed through Victor Maitland's window? Who disabled an unmarked unit with a banana?

Lieutenant Bogomil: Yes, sir.

Police Chief Hubbard: Who lured Taggart and Rosemont into a gross dereliction of duty at a strip-tease establishment?

Detective Rosewood: Uh, it's Rosewood, sir.

Police Chief Hubbard: Is this the gentleman who ruined the buffet at the Harrow club this morning?

Police Chief Hubbard: I just bet that you are the pride of your department in Detroit. Lieutenant, I'd like to see you in your office.

Axel Foley: [mocking Hubbard] Is this the man who... wrecked the buffet at the Harrow club this morning?

Sergeant Taggart: Lower your voice, for Christ's sake!

Axel Foley: What, can the guy hear me through the wall?

Detective Rosewood, Sergeant Taggart: Yes, he can.

I hope our fans can find it in themselves to apply the same scrutiny to their own players / coaches / adjacents that they apply to those outside the team. As someone with stakes in a few teams, it's both predictable and alarming how the reaction across teams goes from innocent until proven guilty ("us"), to guilty until proven innocent ("them"). I'd like to think Cougs are different.
seriously? why don't you reopen the Reggie Bush "scandal" (with his step-pop with the "Soulglo") and see what happens? Coug fans = typical fans = all of us

What? Art Briles was told by a coach for female sports, that a player/student was gang raped by 5 football players. Not only was the AD informed of this incident but so was Briles. By Federal Law he was required to report this to the schools Judiciary Committee. He did not. This incident occured in 2013. Throughout the last 2-3 years, he could, at any time, have reported it. He did not. And when scrutiny came about, he is blaming the school for not being more "on top" of it.
This school has had 17 women come forward since 2011 with allegations of assault or rape both single and gang rapes. Of these 17 women, 19 football players have been alleged to be involved.

These are facts. I'm not saying all the allegations are true or not. But I do know that when it comes to rape, there is a very fine line and when it comes to rape, I will always hedge towards to women. Will I await to see if the allegations are true before I point my finger to "guilty"? Hell yeah. Regardless of the allegations being true or not, how this has been handled by Briles is disgusting. That is MY only point. This isn't a punch in the nose, as your analogy seems to be going towards. This isn't, "HE STOLE MY BEER!!!!!!!" kind of theft. This is RAPE, son! And that should be handled aggressively and strongly. If for anything, the victim (and I use that word precisely. If it is a false accusation, the football player would be the "victim" and needs to be cleared). But this stuff needs to be taken seriously, not swept under the rug and dealt with quietly. I have a person very, very close to me that was raped. She never pressed charges, she never went public about it. Too much shame. No question, she is a different person that what she might have been. This stuff affects a person their whole lives.

Horrible analogy and if you can't see the difference in perception (EDIT: AND affect to the victim) between starting a fight (in whatever fashion you wish to describe that by) and rape/gang rape... you need severe help. And as far as "innocent until proven guilty", I'm pointing towards the coach not the individuals involved in each altercation. He should have been the LEADER on this. The excuse of, "I thought so-and-so was handling this!" is BS. He should have been point-man on this, IMHO. And to me, that shows his indifference on the subject of his kids, those he says are like his own kids, raping and gang raping young women for fun. That concept literally makes me sick. He needed to be a man, not a jelly fish.

Last edited:
There have been a few. let s see the last one was Darnell Solomon WR who had problems but the cougs went after really hard. I am too lazy to do any research but suffice to say there were others.

I think the Cougs took a late shot on Solomon because of the Sheppard connection. So, yea, I guess that would be one, but it's not like Leach spent months recruiting the kid. And I believe Solomon had a slew of offers, but a bunch of schools backed off after he was arrested for burglary. I'd be curious who the others are you're referencing.

You wanted a name and i gave you one as he signed in December. Recruiting moves so fast and the names keep changing . I do not keep a scorecard. Suffice to say that all the coaches had an equal chance with the guy in the same amount of time. The new Oregon coach is known as a great recruiter and he will beat leach out on a few more recruits. Leach will get more than his share,that is the way recruiting works. But Oregon has hired a great recruiter and a good coach.

You wanted a name and i gave you one as he signed in December. Recruiting moves so fast and the names keep changing . I do not keep a scorecard. Suffice to say that all the coaches had an equal chance with the guy in the same amount of time. The new Oregon coach is known as a great recruiter and he will beat leach out on a few more recruits. Leach will get more than his share,that is the way recruiting works. But Oregon has hired a great recruiter and a good coach.
Oregon is a unique position, in that the coach has to pass muster under the watchful eye of Uncle Phil while, at the same time, be his own man. When one man so dominates a university like this (not sure if Okie State is a good comparison or not with Pickens), it can become like a coach trying "to get out from under" the long shadow of Al Davis at Oakland or something. Maybe Knight just meets with him, gives him a list of his expectations and leaves him alone...but I doubt it's that simple

I'm not trying to argue with you, I was just curious which recruits you were referencing as I don't remember really ever going head to head with USF. I didn't remember Solomon, probably because we recruited him for probably a couple weeks.

What? Art Briles was told by a coach for female sports, that a player/student was gang raped by 5 football players. Not only was the AD informed of this incident but so was Briles. By Federal Law he was required to report this to the schools Judiciary Committee. He did not. This incident occured in 2013. Throughout the last 2-3 years, he could, at any time, have reported it. He did not. And when scrutiny came about, he is blaming the school for not being more "on top" of it.
This school has had 17 women come forward since 2011 with allegations of assault or rape both single and gang rapes. Of these 17 women, 19 football players have been alleged to be involved.

These are facts. I'm not saying all the allegations are true or not. But I do know that when it comes to rape, there is a very fine line and when it comes to rape, I will always hedge towards to women. Will I await to see if the allegations are true before I point my finger to "guilty"? Hell yeah. Regardless of the allegations being true or not, how this has been handled by Briles is disgusting. That is MY only point. This isn't a punch in the nose, as your analogy seems to be going towards. This isn't, "HE STOLE MY BEER!!!!!!!" kind of theft. This is RAPE, son! And that should be handled aggressively and strongly. If for anything, the victim (and I use that word precisely. If it is a false accusation, the football player would be the "victim" and needs to be cleared). But this stuff needs to be taken seriously, not swept under the rug and dealt with quietly. I have a person very, very close to me that was raped. She never pressed charges, she never went public about it. Too much shame. No question, she is a different person that what she might have been. This stuff affects a person their whole lives.

Horrible analogy and if you can't see the difference in perception (EDIT: AND affect to the victim) between starting a fight (in whatever fashion you wish to describe that by) and rape/gang rape... you need severe help. And as far as "innocent until proven guilty", I'm pointing towards the coach not the individuals involved in each altercation. He should have been the LEADER on this. The excuse of, "I thought so-and-so was handling this!" is BS. He should have been point-man on this, IMHO. And to me, that shows his indifference on the subject of his kids, those he says are like his own kids, raping and gang raping young women for fun. That concept literally makes me sick. He needed to be a man, not a jelly fish.
1. It's not an analogy.
2. You're fixated on whether Briles is guilty, but nobody's defending him - so I'm not sure who those 3 paragraphs are for.
3. Forget about the particulars here. My point is about how often fans find "their" guy innocent in a court of fan opinion and the "other" guys guilty. Whether you're right or wrong here, you've landed where fans land roughly 100% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT