ADVERTISEMENT

New President talks deficit spending

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Couple of thoughts. First, this does not surprise me. President Floyd, rest in peace, never let money get in the way of WSU's expansion. Need more money? Lower academic standards and let in more students (student data will validate this is you care to look at the numbers, and it will only get worse as recent class figures start hitting the graduation stats). Feds cutting back on spending? Build those new research facilities anyway. Who was going to say no to him? Will be interesting to see this unfold as more info comes to light at the end of this fiscal year.

Second, I'd like to see more detail on the Athletic numbers. How much of the deficit represents principal payments on the facility debt? Cash-based accounting may make these numbers look worse than they are. That said, the whole TV contract(s) had some significant "blue sky" in them, as I pointed out a couple years back. Clearly the revenue is nowhere near the rosy projections that sold our stadium projects. However, we kind of needed to do them, so what do you say? Not so good to see that donations are down. Sure could use a Paul Allen to name the stadium after.

Today's Pullman paper:
"An abundance of construction projects with uncertain funding in combination with multimillion dollar athletic department deficits has resulted in Washington State University operating in the red for the past two years, according to a Tuesday internal memo from incoming president Kirk Schulz.

Schulz, who will officially take his post as head of WSU on June 16, addressed the campus community this week by email with his budget concerns and outlined steps he will take immediately to get them under control.

"We have been spending more money annually over the last couple of years than has been brought in, which is simply not sustainable," Schulz wrote. "We are spending down central reserves at a significant rate."

WSU spokesman Rob Strenge said much of the university deficiency is due to the athletic department's deficit.

"That is a significant component of it," Strenge said.

The WSU athletics department ended the 2015 fiscal year with a deficit of $13.2 million, following a 2014 deficit of $13.7 million, according to its 2015 operating revenues and expenses report. Contributions to the department were also down $440,118.

The three-phase Martin Stadium renovation, which began in 2006, funded an update to the student section through student fees, but the following phases - costing $126 million - included a plan to repay the university from Pac-12 TV revenue until 2025. The source of $46 million in funding was unidentified."

K-State raised a ridiculous amount of money for athletics while Schulz was President there. It will be interesting to see what he can bring from his experience there to Pullman and how much impact it will have.

Schulz's concerns are reasonable and even expected. His history at KSU gives some hope regarding his ability to deal with that.

The decline of 440 thousand in athletic department donations was initially surprising to me. Shouldn't have been though. We probably got a bump after the New Mexico Bowl followed by disappointment in many quarters following 2014's poor results. A good performance this Fall should result in a better financial showing among those on the fence. Perhaps two bowl appearances in a row will shift some of the fence sitters into more regular donations.

At one point I thought I had heard, WSU athletics budget reflects the full tuition/scholarship costs of student athletes. I too get a little concerned about how the numbers are accounted for.

At one point I thought I had heard, WSU athletics budget reflects the full tuition/scholarship costs of student athletes. I too get a little concerned about how the numbers are accounted for.

The focus should be limited to revenue from the Pac-12 TV deal, which is increasing every year. The following article, which is based upon a look at tax returns every not-for-profit must file with the IRS, has the numbers that might upset the-sky-is-falling crowd. A valid point, however, is that expenses are increasing as the Pac-12 ramps up live coverage of events. The assumption Moos and others are making is that maintaining 100 percent ownership will benefit all schools more in the long run. WSU is getting more than $21 million a year. Annual financing costs of the stadium and FOB projects have been pegged at around $6 million. I believe we're in the third year of what amounts to a 25-year loan. If revenue continues to grow, and if expenses level off, Mrs. Loyal can let Loyal go outside now and then without worry.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/05/21/pac-12-revenues-larry-scott/27717251/

There is something very disingenuous with a reporter reporting financing numbers with little to no comprehension on what those numbers actually mean....

Couple of thoughts. First, this does not surprise me. President Floyd, rest in peace, never let money get in the way of WSU's expansion. Need more money? Lower academic standards and let in more students (student data will validate this is you care to look at the numbers, and it will only get worse as recent class figures start hitting the graduation stats). Feds cutting back on spending? Build those new research facilities anyway. Who was going to say no to him? Will be interesting to see this unfold as more info comes to light at the end of this fiscal year.

Second, I'd like to see more detail on the Athletic numbers. How much of the deficit represents principal payments on the facility debt? Cash-based accounting may make these numbers look worse than they are. That said, the whole TV contract(s) had some significant "blue sky" in them, as I pointed out a couple years back. Clearly the revenue is nowhere near the rosy projections that sold our stadium projects. However, we kind of needed to do them, so what do you say? Not so good to see that donations are down. Sure could use a Paul Allen to name the stadium after.

Today's Pullman paper:
"An abundance of construction projects with uncertain funding in combination with multimillion dollar athletic department deficits has resulted in Washington State University operating in the red for the past two years, according to a Tuesday internal memo from incoming president Kirk Schulz.

Schulz, who will officially take his post as head of WSU on June 16, addressed the campus community this week by email with his budget concerns and outlined steps he will take immediately to get them under control.

"We have been spending more money annually over the last couple of years than has been brought in, which is simply not sustainable," Schulz wrote. "We are spending down central reserves at a significant rate."

WSU spokesman Rob Strenge said much of the university deficiency is due to the athletic department's deficit.

"That is a significant component of it," Strenge said.

The WSU athletics department ended the 2015 fiscal year with a deficit of $13.2 million, following a 2014 deficit of $13.7 million, according to its 2015 operating revenues and expenses report. Contributions to the department were also down $440,118.

The three-phase Martin Stadium renovation, which began in 2006, funded an update to the student section through student fees, but the following phases - costing $126 million - included a plan to repay the university from Pac-12 TV revenue until 2025. The source of $46 million in funding was unidentified."

Just as a comparison, here's one of the headlines in Saturday's Seattle Times sports section (misery loves company):

UW athletic department projects budget deficit of $14.8 million for 2016 fiscal year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT