ADVERTISEMENT

New Statement from Shulz

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
JUst released a few minutes ago, with a little bit more from behind the curtain:

Dear Cougar Nation,
The last few weeks have been tumultuous for Washington State University and the Pac 12 Conference. The decision by the University of Washington and the University of Oregon to accept offers to join the Big 10 Conference sealed the fate of the Pac 12. By the end of the day on Friday, only four members of the Pac 12 remained — Washington State, Oregon State, Cal Berkeley, and Stanford.
The Pac 12 Board of Directors is composed of all the sitting Presidents and Chancellors of the current member institutions, and we met 30 times over the past 12 months in an attempt to work out a future media rights deal that all conference members found suitable. During this time, we had multiple media partners spend months discussing media deals only to drop out at the last minute, mostly due to the rapidly changing sports media environment.
On Tuesday, Commissioner George Kliavkoff presented the Board of Directors with an innovative and forward-looking partnership proposal with Apple. The approach proposed by Apple was a subscription-based model that would utilize Apple TV for streaming athletic contests. This model carried with it an opportunity to significantly grow the revenue coming into each school over the next several years. As an Apple user and enthusiast, I looked forward to seeing how we could integrate Pac 12 sports into the Apple environment — similar to what they have successfully achieved with Major League Soccer.
The guaranteed annual money from this proposal was not at the current level of support that all schools receive, but there was a general acknowledgment that streaming Pac 12 media was clearly the direction media consumption was going. After several board meetings and robust discussion among all nine schools, we finished our board meeting on Thursday evening with a strong feeling of staying together, pursuing a new partnership with Apple, and moving forward with conference expansion.
On Friday morning, we were shocked when the University of Washington and the University of Oregon announced they had accepted Big 10 invitations. I genuinely felt that on Friday morning we would sign the needed paperwork, finalize the deal with Apple, and move the Pac 12 toward a new and brighter future.
Immediately after the decision, Pat Chun and I started reaching out to colleagues around the nation to start working on options for Cougar Athletics. We talked with multiple conference commissioners, presidents and chancellors, athletic directors, and other leaders in college athletics. These efforts continued through the weekend — and will continue until we find a suitable home for Washington State athletics. I am in regular contact with the leaders from the remaining Pac 12 schools and will continue to do so moving forward.
Because these conversations are often confidential, we are not able to provide updates on whom we are talking to and when. At this point, we are pursuing every possible opportunity to ensure that we have multiple options moving forward.
I will be standing up a small group of faculty, staff, athletic administrators, and student leaders to provide feedback on conference options for WSU as our pathway forward becomes more clear in the days and weeks ahead. This group will be announced to the Cougar community by the end of the week.
I know many of you are angry and upset by the situation WSU finds itself in — and it is tempting to lash out. As President of WSU, my responsibility at this time is to work with Pat Chun on as many options as possible for Cougar Athletics moving forward — taking into account things like institutional fit, geography and travel costs, competitiveness, and financial security.
What can you do to help?
• Regardless of our future conference affiliation, I ask that you continue to support our 600+ WSU student-athletes, other fans, and our coaches.
• Embrace our new future as college athletics continues to go through significant and unprecedented changes.
• Be patient as we explore our next conference affiliation — and know that we want to take the time to find the right place for Cougar Athletics.

Whatever solution we come up with, it will be different moving forward. Washington State has been a member of the same athletic conference since 1917, which has served us very well over the past 106 years. I ask for your support over the coming days, weeks, and months as we work diligently to find the right home for Cougar Athletics.

JUst released a few minutes ago, with a little bit more from behind the curtain:

Dear Cougar Nation,
The last few weeks have been tumultuous for Washington State University and the Pac 12 Conference. The decision by the University of Washington and the University of Oregon to accept offers to join the Big 10 Conference sealed the fate of the Pac 12. By the end of the day on Friday, only four members of the Pac 12 remained — Washington State, Oregon State, Cal Berkeley, and Stanford.
The Pac 12 Board of Directors is composed of all the sitting Presidents and Chancellors of the current member institutions, and we met 30 times over the past 12 months in an attempt to work out a future media rights deal that all conference members found suitable. During this time, we had multiple media partners spend months discussing media deals only to drop out at the last minute, mostly due to the rapidly changing sports media environment.
On Tuesday, Commissioner George Kliavkoff presented the Board of Directors with an innovative and forward-looking partnership proposal with Apple. The approach proposed by Apple was a subscription-based model that would utilize Apple TV for streaming athletic contests. This model carried with it an opportunity to significantly grow the revenue coming into each school over the next several years. As an Apple user and enthusiast, I looked forward to seeing how we could integrate Pac 12 sports into the Apple environment — similar to what they have successfully achieved with Major League Soccer.
The guaranteed annual money from this proposal was not at the current level of support that all schools receive, but there was a general acknowledgment that streaming Pac 12 media was clearly the direction media consumption was going. After several board meetings and robust discussion among all nine schools, we finished our board meeting on Thursday evening with a strong feeling of staying together, pursuing a new partnership with Apple, and moving forward with conference expansion.
On Friday morning, we were shocked when the University of Washington and the University of Oregon announced they had accepted Big 10 invitations. I genuinely felt that on Friday morning we would sign the needed paperwork, finalize the deal with Apple, and move the Pac 12 toward a new and brighter future.
Immediately after the decision, Pat Chun and I started reaching out to colleagues around the nation to start working on options for Cougar Athletics. We talked with multiple conference commissioners, presidents and chancellors, athletic directors, and other leaders in college athletics. These efforts continued through the weekend — and will continue until we find a suitable home for Washington State athletics. I am in regular contact with the leaders from the remaining Pac 12 schools and will continue to do so moving forward.
Because these conversations are often confidential, we are not able to provide updates on whom we are talking to and when. At this point, we are pursuing every possible opportunity to ensure that we have multiple options moving forward.
I will be standing up a small group of faculty, staff, athletic administrators, and student leaders to provide feedback on conference options for WSU as our pathway forward becomes more clear in the days and weeks ahead. This group will be announced to the Cougar community by the end of the week.
I know many of you are angry and upset by the situation WSU finds itself in — and it is tempting to lash out. As President of WSU, my responsibility at this time is to work with Pat Chun on as many options as possible for Cougar Athletics moving forward — taking into account things like institutional fit, geography and travel costs, competitiveness, and financial security.
What can you do to help?
• Regardless of our future conference affiliation, I ask that you continue to support our 600+ WSU student-athletes, other fans, and our coaches.
• Embrace our new future as college athletics continues to go through significant and unprecedented changes.
• Be patient as we explore our next conference affiliation — and know that we want to take the time to find the right place for Cougar Athletics.

Whatever solution we come up with, it will be different moving forward. Washington State has been a member of the same athletic conference since 1917, which has served us very well over the past 106 years. I ask for your support over the coming days, weeks, and months as we work diligently to find the right home for Cougar Athletics.

Time for patience has run out.

A nice statement overall, but yeah be patient is what we've heard for over a year now. Fire Kliavkoff now, and I will get some solace. Fire Chun too, and Schulz you need to resign.

Merging with the Mtn West is our only solution. It is such a f-ing no brainer.
You’re probably right but that option’s not likely to go away any time soon. Toss out a few Hail Marys with the Big12, ACC and even rebuilding the PAC before you go that route.

This part by Shulz is telling: "Immediately AFTER the decision, Pat Chun and I STARTED reaching out to colleagues around the nation to START working on options for Cougar Athletics....." (caps for emphasis).

Well there's your problem buddy. You should have "started" this process months ago if not earlier and had several contingency plans in place for "options" already for when the $hit hit the fan. My pet cat knows how to plan ahead better than this....

You’re probably right but that option’s not likely to go away any time soon. Toss out a few Hail Marys with the Big12, ACC and even rebuilding the PAC before you go that route.
This.

The MWC isn't going anywhere. Only BSU and SDSU are likely to get a call from anyone at all, and neither is work $34M to anyone. The MWC option will still be there in August 2024, there's no need to rush.

I really don't believe that any of the 4 PAC teams are going to the ACC. That's a logistical nightmare, and they'd be asking the existing schools to take a cut to fund half shares for Stanford and Cal. The existing schools already don't think they get enough (some of them), and why would any of them take a reduction to spend more in travel? Why would S & C? They could renegotiate with ESPN for more money, but if they open the contract, FSU, Clemson, and Miami will find a way out of it. That plan is a loser.

Stanford & Cal have the option of playing independent football for a year, maybe 2, while they wait for something (the Big 10) to fall their way. They can play their other sports in the WCC in the meantime - maybe they join as an affiliate like Notre Dame to the ACC during COVID.

WSU & OSU have fewer options, but also still have a year. They need to get a plan in place though, because the MWC buyout gets a lot smaller in a year, and that's when someone could decide SDSU is worth it.

Reactions: VictorVal
Do we really want to join the ACC and have all of our teams travel clear across the country to compete? Even the Big 12 is a jaunt. Let's just take our lumps, stay out west and make the best of it. I'm going to the CSU game, and see what their new stadium is all about.

I'm willing to bet that the Mtn West would welcome us with open arms.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
if you doubled down on football investment, you could run the table in the m w c and still get in an extended playoff. But that isn’t going to happen with Chun and Schulz, they will downsize the program to m w c level. New leadership is needed.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
This.

The MWC isn't going anywhere. Only BSU and SDSU are likely to get a call from anyone at all, and neither is work $34M to anyone. The MWC option will still be there in August 2024, there's no need to rush.

I really don't believe that any of the 4 PAC teams are going to the ACC. That's a logistical nightmare, and they'd be asking the existing schools to take a cut to fund half shares for Stanford and Cal. The existing schools already don't think they get enough (some of them), and why would any of them take a reduction to spend more in travel? Why would S & C? They could renegotiate with ESPN for more money, but if they open the contract, FSU, Clemson, and Miami will find a way out of it. That plan is a loser.

Stanford & Cal have the option of playing independent football for a year, maybe 2, while they wait for something (the Big 10) to fall their way. They can play their other sports in the WCC in the meantime - maybe they join as an affiliate like Notre Dame to the ACC during COVID.

WSU & OSU have fewer options, but also still have a year. They need to get a plan in place though, because the MWC buyout gets a lot smaller in a year, and that's when someone could decide SDSU is worth it.

The rosters will be empty if they wait a year. Kids aren’ sticking around for what they didn't sign up for.

The rosters will be empty if they wait a year. Kids aren’ sticking around for what they didn't sign up for.
Yeah we have to make something happen NOW. Sitting on our hands for a year got us what? Our biggest nightmare. If aren't speed dialing the MTN West we are f-in idiots. Although I guess we already proved that.

Valid point. But they're already not going to get what they signed up for.

In the end, the answer is to be open and tell people as much as possible about what's being pursued. But that's not WSU's style.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
This part by Shulz is telling: "Immediately AFTER the decision, Pat Chun and I STARTED reaching out to colleagues around the nation to START working on options for Cougar Athletics....." (caps for emphasis).

Well there's your problem buddy. You should have "started" this process months ago if not earlier and had several contingency plans in place for "options" already for when the $hit hit the fan. My pet cat knows how to plan ahead better than this....
Not only that, but the bold below reads as they know they have no options:
  • Regardless of our future conference affiliation, I ask that you continue to support our 600+ WSU student-athletes, other fans, and our coaches."

Maybe Dr. Schultz was worried about implying UW and UO were unethical for backing out of an agreed-upon deal but then later acknowledging WSU's administration had itself been exploring other options?

He either gets painted with the same disloyal brush as the Quacks and Huskies or he's accused of being negilgent in looking out for WSU's own best interests. Tough spot to be in

Maybe Dr. Schultz was worried about implying UW and UO were unethical for backing out of an agreed-upon deal but then later acknowledging WSU's administration had itself been exploring other options?
This has been played dirty for awhile, are we really concerned about UW or UO's feelings? Heck, an AD was reportedly asking the B12 to take the whole conference expect WSU or OSU. They're not going to be in the same conference anymore and sharing T1 resources.

This has been played dirty for awhile, are we really concerned about UW or UO's feelings?

No, screw those two schools.

But it might impact WSU's alimony payments from UW or budget funds from the state if PKS said he was in contact with other conferences re: expansion while the Pac-12's media right negotiations were ongoing - especially as chairman of the Board of Presidents

He either gets painted with the same disloyal brush as the Quacks and Huskies or he's accused of being negilgent in looking out for WSU's own best interests. Tough spot to be in
This happened on his watch. He is responsible.

Valid point. But they're already not going to get what they signed up for.

In the end, the answer is to be open and tell people as much as possible about what's being pursued. But that's not WSU's style.

They have no answers to questions asked. It will likely come down to kids choosing their best option. Is that WSU or not? We will find out.

This.

There is no need to rush? Geezus Christ have had your head in the sand for the last year? It won't be there in a year. Yeah there is need to rush, right F-ing now. Or else it is the Big Sky.

There is no need to rush? Geezus Christ have had your head in the sand for the last year? It won't be there in a year. Yeah there is need to rush, right F-ing now. Or else it is the Big Sky.

Gee…it was a shock to you that Oregon and UW decided to be money grubbing whores?

Unbelievable

if you doubled down on football investment, you could run the table in the m w c and still get in an extended playoff. But that isn’t going to happen with Chun and Schulz, they will downsize the program to m w c level. New leadership is needed.
Run the table in the MWC? lol, are you kidding? We’ve been recently waxed by Fresno and Utah State. I’ve personally witnessed Boise St, Hawaii, SDSU, Wyoming, Air Force, and Colorado State beat us.

The top half of the MWC can hang with the bottom 2/3 of the P12, B1G, and B12. There are serious financial concerns about moving into that conference, but our fans better stop thinking we’ll run the table there. That’s laughable.

Run the table in the MWC? lol, are you kidding? We’ve been recently waxed by Fresno and Utah State. I’ve personally witnessed Boise St, Hawaii, SDSU, Wyoming, Air Force, and Colorado State beat us.

The top half of the MWC can hang with the bottom 2/3 of the P12, B1G, and B12. There are serious financial concerns about moving into that conference, but our fans better stop thinking we’ll run the table there. That’s laughable.
Wyoming hasn't beat us since 1990. I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

But your central point is spot on.

Patrol, do you know if the MWC would add any teams besides WSU and OSU (if the Beavers decide to come, too)?

That would be 14 schools for football and 13 for all-sports. Maybe Gonzaga would join to fill-in for Hawaii, the football-only member?

SMU and Rice would get the "New Pac" to 16 schools with members in both the Dallas and Houston markets.

That's gotta help with media rights dollars when it's time to negotiate a new deal

Depends where the program is, pretty sure Leach had the program high enough to run the table in the m w c

Patrol, do you know if the MWC would add any teams besides WSU and OSU (if the Beavers decide to come, too)?

That would be 14 schools for football and 13 for all-sports. Maybe Gonzaga would join to fill-in for Hawaii, the football-only member?

SMU and Rice would get the "New Pac" to 16 schools with members in both the Dallas and Houston markets.

That's gotta help with media rights dollars when it's time to negotiate a new deal
No, I'm not an insider. I'm somewhat connected to a few higher end WSU boosters. People I've gotten to know in the Beasley Lot over the years, but they're not mega-donors by any means. Nobody knows what's going on at the moment, other than WSU and OSU are flushing out all of of their options.

Now, my *opinion* is that WSU would be wise to gun for as much settlement money as we can get to pay our debt, and then work with the MWC and WCC on the establishment of a West Coast "Super Conference."

The Olympic sport programs in the WCC are excellent. Men's and Women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc. For once I'd like to see our University and conference leadership get creative and form an expansive West coast alliance. Sell Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, Seattle U, and San Francisco on the idea. Convince Stanford and Cal to at least become non-football members of the new alliance. A MWC football conference merger along with a MWC/WCC basketball and olympic sports partnership would not only be regionally progressive, but it would be an extremely strong basketball conference.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
No, I'm not an insider. I'm somewhat connected to a few higher end WSU boosters. People I've gotten to know in the Beasley Lot over the years, but they're not mega-donors by any means. Nobody knows what's going on at the moment, other than WSU and OSU are flushing out all of of their options.

Now, my *opinion* is that WSU would be wise to gun for as much settlement money as we can get to pay our debt, and then work with the MWC and WCC on the establishment of a West Coast "Super Conference."

The Olympic sport programs in the WCC are excellent. Men's and Women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc. For once I'd like to see our University and conference leadership get creative and form an expansive West coast alliance. Sell Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, Seattle U, and San Francisco on the idea. Convince Stanford and Cal to at least become non-football members of the new alliance. A MWC football conference merger along with a MWC/WCC basketball and olympic sports partnership would not only be regionally progressive, but it would be an extremely strong basketball conference.

Very intriguing.

The WCAC has some great TV markets, even more so if they add Seattle U.

I would think those schools would be excited to add four Power 5 programs to the mix. Maybe add Grand Canyon and Denver for Olympic sports and the league would basically have every good market in the west covered except for Anchorage

In our current contract with CBS Sports and Fox whenever we add or lose a team the contract can be renegotiated. So, to bring in SMU and/or Rice wouldn't be an immediate timing issue with the media contract.

I do like the idea of bringing in the Zags as that fill-in as you called for Hawaii.

In our current contract with CBS Sports and Fox whenever we add or lose a team the contract can be renegotiated. So, to bring in SMU and/or Rice wouldn't be an immediate timing issue with the media contract.

I do like the idea of bringing in the Zags as that fill-in as you called for Hawaii.
SMU and Rice have to give 27 months notice to their conference, and a $10M buyout. The time portion seems to be a bit flexible if you pay extra, but there are complications with them.

Reactions: HCoug
SMU and Rice have to give 27 months notice to their conference, and a $10M buyout. The time portion seems to be a bit flexible if you pay extra, but there are complications with them.

Someone like 425 or CougED would know a lot better than me, but don't both Rice and SMU have really deep pockets?

Like J.R. Ewing type money.

Seems like those two schools could easily pay a buyout and be ready to join a re-tooled PAC hybrid next summer

Someone like 425 or CougED would know a lot better than me, but don't both Rice and SMU have really deep pockets?

Like J.R. Ewing type money.

Seems like those two schools could easily pay a buyout and be ready to join a re-tooled PAC hybrid next summer
POssibly...but what are they paying for?

If the P5 status and CFP/NCAA payouts go away (which seems likely), what do they really gain?

POssibly...but what are they paying for?

If the P5 status and CFP/NCAA payouts go away (which seems likely), what do they really gain?

IF the PAC 4/X gets SDSU, SMU, Memphis, USF, Tulane, Rice, BSU, Appalachian St, Gonzaga, UNLV, Fresno St, Utah St, CSU, NDSU added to Stanford, CAL, WSU, Ore St, THAT CONFERENCE WOULD NOT LOSE P5 STATUS, AND WOULD HAVE A 18 MIL TO 28 MIL PER TEAM MEDIA DEAL, WOULD GET 1,2 CFP, 1,2 NY6.

The PAC 4, can use the 400 mil, they get to handle the buying out SDSU, others etc.

Or the MWC votes to dissolve, and SDSU, CSU, Utah St, Fresno St, BSU, UNLV, those 6 join the PAC, and the PAC helps the remaining 6 MWC to either reform MWC, or join the C-USA, Sunbelt, AAC, etc.

Then since Memphis, USF, Tulane, Rice, Appalachian St, , etc, only have 5 to 10 to 15 million buy outs, then PAC either buys them, or encourages those teams to buy themselves out, to join PAC to get greater CFP/NY6/P5 STATUS, and that if they others come, build the PAC, that there will be a 17+ Mil per team media deal.

Basically the PAC 4 has to SELL what I am talking about in this post to those teams.

If the PAC does a good job selling, promising, negotiating, getting creative, etc, and use that to BUILD THE PAC 18 comprised of the teams I outlined above, then the PAC will become the PAC 18 with those teams, and will have a 17 to 27 mil per team deal, 1,2 CFP spots, 1,2 NY6 spots, P5 STATUS, etc.

It's a workable idea, plan.

The only problem with it, is that the PAC Leadership is not smart enough and too much like a couple, few, semi some posters here who either don't think this should be done, or don't think it can be done, even tho it's doable, to do this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT