ADVERTISEMENT

Nightmares everywhere

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Gawd it's just heartbreaking. Let's see:
The Ukraine war. Cant we assasinate that Goddam Putin?
Now the California Hilary storm. The one good thing is maybe it will help with the drought in AZ, Nevada, etc. What I read is that it's going to get all the way to Washington. Good. Maybe put out some of the fires.
The Medical Lake fire. Almost 200 houses burned down? And counting. Gawd.
Here in YakiVegas - can't even see the Ahtanum ridge a mile away due to the smoke.
Then this Michael Oher (Blind side) thing. Suing the family that took him off the street and primed him for an NFL career? I mean WTF? $5 sez he blew all his NFL money and now wants to get some payback 20 years later?
I won't even start with the Biden/Trump/DeSantis shit.
I could go on and on. It's just so sad and heartbreaking.

We are so f-ed up in the USA and the whole world. Starting to wish I had never brought my children into it. And now I have grandchildren. Every day in the news. Mothers killing their kids. People getting beat up and killed in restaurant bathrooms. Goddamnit.

Now the California Hilary storm. The one good thing is maybe it will help with the drought in AZ, Nevada, etc. What I read is that it's going to get all the way to Washington. Good. Maybe put out some of the fires.
Here in YakiVegas - can't even see the Ahtanum ridge a mile away due to the smoke.
Then this Michael Oher (Blind side) thing. Suing the family that took him off the street and primed him for an NFL career? I mean WTF? $5 sez he blew all his NFL money and now wants to get some payback 20 years later?

We are so f-ed up in the USA and the whole world. Starting to wish I had never brought my children into it. And now I have grandchildren. Every day in the news. Mothers killing their kids. People getting beat up and killed in restaurant bathrooms. Goddamnit.
Take a break from social media and the news my man. Will do you some good 🤝

Regarding the hurricane - I’m in LA right now. Not sure where the CNN reporters are writing their headlines from. It rained pretty hard this morning, but there’s been little wind. So far it’s been like a spring day in Forks.

Of course, there could be flooding as it rains in the mountains, but it was just over an inch of rain in Anaheim and there are zero issues I’ve seen.

Regarding the hurricane - I’m in LA right now. Not sure where the CNN reporters are writing their headlines from. It rained pretty hard this morning, but there’s been little wind. So far it’s been like a spring day in Forks.

Of course, there could be flooding as it rains in the mountains, but it was just over an inch of rain in Anaheim and there are zero issues I’ve seen.

Yeah, I’m in San Diego I would call this an average, rainy, Seattle day.

Sounds like you're looking for a tall bridge

Avoid said bridge

children are the blessing and the hope for the world....never forget...

we just were back in Annapolis and had breakfast at Chick and Ruth's....big deal right?....except they are famous for their big meals and for making every patron stand up for the pledge of Allegiance at 8:30 every morning......all people stood, happily.....we got some good people left in this country.....

Crap thought I replied but WW didn't take it. I'll try again. I don't really do social media. Have Facebook and Lindedin but am totally locked down on both. But yeah I read the news every day. CNN, my local news occasionally Faux News. What kills me is how many people
Crap thought I replied but WW didn't take it. I'll try again. I don't really do social media. Have Facebook and LinkedIn but am totally locked down on both. But yeah I read the news every day. CNN, my local news and occasionally Faux News. What kills me is how many people never check or watch the news (I don't watch, I do it online). They have no clue what is going on in our city, in the state, in the country or in the world. That is F-ed up. When I was a kid we were glued to Walter Cronkite and the others. Harry Reasoner?

We are so F-ed up.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
We are so F-ed up.

Maybe you could meet with a local pastor, priest, imam, monk, punjabi there in Yakima?

Not saying it's the answer for everybody, but many people turn to their faith during trying times or to better understand the world we live in

Good luck to you Loyal

Reactions: grahamcoug
Crap thought I replied but WW didn't take it. I'll try again. I don't really do social media. Have Facebook and Lindedin but am totally locked down on both. But yeah I read the news every day. CNN, my local news occasionally Faux News. What kills me is how many people

Crap thought I replied but WW didn't take it. I'll try again. I don't really do social media. Have Facebook and LinkedIn but am totally locked down on both. But yeah I read the news every day. CNN, my local news and occasionally Faux News. What kills me is how many people never check or watch the news (I don't watch, I do it online). They have no clue what is going on in our city, in the state, in the country or in the world. That is F-ed up. When I was a kid we were glued to Walter Cronkite and the others. Harry Reasoner?

We are so F-ed up.
Sorta the point. The times you are referring to, Kronkite, news was news, and things were reported on a need to know basis. Now 99% of the intention of news is to spread fear…so you’ll watch more news.

I’m not saying there’s not shitty things happening in the world, there is and always has been. I’m just saying when it’s 5% worse than it normally is, your exposure to media is exponentially raising that in your head to 200%.

We are so F-ed up.
Go take a walk. Watching news everyday is a recipe to be miserable.

Sorta the point. The times you are referring to, Kronkite, news was news, and things were reported on a need to know basis. Now 99% of the intention of news is to spread fear…so you’ll watch more news.

I’m not saying there’s not shitty things happening in the world, there is and always has been. I’m just saying when it’s 5% worse than it normally is, your exposure to media is exponentially raising that in your head to 200%.
This.
I weighed in on this thread mostly to tell you firsthand that the media is overblowing things. I literally sat yesterday looking from the TV, with the breathless reporter talking about torrential rains and devastating flooding, to the window…where it was raining less than I’ve seen in a typical Seattle spring. The wind blows harder in tri-cities every year.

Hurricane Hilary in LA was a lot like Hilary Clinton - lots of media coverage with not much behind it.

Our national news was pre-empted by the local stations last night so they could report on the rain. Meh. Waste of footage. They love to do that when their contract will permit because they get to keep more of the ad dollars for that half hour. I got 2.5" at my house. That is real rain for SoCal, and there were some flooded intersections and some small debris flows below the areas that burned the past 2 years. But we get a rain or two or three like this every year, just not in August. Speaking of August rain, I have not been in a warm heavy rain since I left Corpus 35 years ago. It felt pretty nice; I ended up walking around the yard, picking up birds nests and other debris (it is amazing watching a 60' tall Mexican fan palm bend 60 degrees from vertical in the wind; I have 6 of them, and nothing more than a palm frond came down). There were a few limbs down on the drive to work this morning, as well as every pine tree took this as an opportunity to dump all the old needles. No leaves, though, because they are all still green. All in all, not much to report. Cabo and southern Baja got it a lot worse than we did.

It is pretty rough with oppression and calamity going on. It can be really overwhelming. I am trying to do what I can in small ways. What I mean is this- when not teaching elementary kids, sometimes my wife and I have volunteered with an agency called Samaritan's Purse. We have had service opportunities in Lake Charles, LA after a hurricane, Rolling Fork, MS after a tornado, and Oso, WA after a flood. I am not telling you what to do, or saying look how great I am. My attempt to deal with calamity and oppression is to rely on my faith and give and serve when I can. It works for me.

Loyal, I stopped watching any kind of news or going out of my way to read any of it on websites, news-, politics-, or similar social media accounts, and so on, years ago. It is hard to express fully how much better I felt almost immediately. I still hear about things I need to and stay as informed as I need to be. Media is designed to make you unsettled and angry. Just eschew it. I say this not to signal virtue but as a genuine recommendation.

We are so F-ed up.
Try something other than the Chronic Negative Narrative for daily “news”

I know I'm an outsider and don't know your situation but here's a few things that worked for me when I'm totally overwhelmed/anxious/depressed whatever. Some of these have already been suggested.

Turn off the tv! 24 hour news coverage (no matter what station) deals with gloom and doom and can be too much.

Take a break from social media.

Go for a walk/do physical activities without music - looking around at the trees, birds, etc.

If you can't get out of your house, read a book, do a cross word puzzle, whatever, in silence. If silence drives you crazy, use some white noise. Cook something, clean something, whatever makes you happy, concentrating on what you are doing. Don't use tv or music to distract you.

Volunteer. Meditate. Pray. Any or all of those can be helpful.

Good luck.

Maybe you could meet with a local pastor, priest, imam, monk, punjabi there in Yakima?

Not saying it's the answer for everybody, but many people turn to their faith during trying times or to better understand the world we live in

Good luck to you Loyal
I'm not religious and I'm fine. Out of beer though dammit.

Good luck to you Loyal
Punjabi is not a religion. Been to the state of Punjab: mostly Sikhs then Hindus.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT