ADVERTISEMENT

No lose situation for WSU to name Gordo the starter

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
First, he is playing with nothing to lose.
Second, if he struggles, with more reps, Gage is going to get better each week.
Third, Leach needs to emphasis and remind everyone that they have to earn their job. If Gordo gets it, underscores to all the QBs that every snap is earned.

For those who watched fall practices last year, I'd be curious how close you thought Gordon was to Minshew. Obviously, no one expected the special sauce that Minshew ended up bringing to the table but just in terms of how they looked in practice was Gordon close? If so, the fact that he has now had a year to watch, another spring and now fall practices makes me pretty optimistic.

Reactions: 79COUG
For those who watched fall practices last year, I'd be curious how close you thought Gordon was to Minshew. Obviously, no one expected the special sauce that Minshew ended up bringing to the table but just in terms of how they looked in practice was Gordon close? If so, the fact that he has now had a year to watch, another spring and now fall practices makes me pretty optimistic.

What I saw in the first practices was this: Gordon easily had the stronger arm, and his release is pretty quick, but his decision making was a bit slower than Minshew's, whose release was equal. Both are/were quick on their feet. The big picture, however, is that Minshew heightened the competition, and it's clear Gordon benefited from this. That, and his spring reps increased due to Gubrud's injury. Right now, everything seems to be falling into place for Anthony. He's earning it.

The key words are "He's earning it."

At such time as someone else earns the spot, then they have it. For now, it is Gordon, and that is fine.

Competition is a good thing, as are options.

Reactions: TZCoug84
What I saw in the first practices was this: Gordon easily had the stronger arm, and his release is pretty quick, but his decision making was a bit slower than Minshew's, whose release was equal. Both are/were quick on their feet. The big picture, however, is that Minshew heightened the competition, and it's clear Gordon benefited from this. That, and his spring reps increased due to Gubrud's injury. Right now, everything seems to be falling into place for Anthony. He's earning it.
I read something that gave me the impression that Minshew gave Gordon a fresh perspective on the position from the one Falk and Tinsley have, and it changed his approach

Tinsley was ahead of Gordon last year.

Tinsley was clearly closer last year. Gordon was 3rd. Gordon started to get it though and pulled ahead of Tinsley this spring, and kept improving to this point.

If you're not getting reps you're not getting better. GG better pick up the pace and turn up the heat if he wants to win the job. Otherwise Gordon is gonna run away with it. He will just have more reps in the offense.

CML has made it clear that accuracy and decision making are his top priorities. There are several other things that are nice to have....arm strength/velocity, height/field vision and mobility are three of those, but there are more....but he picks based primarily on his assessment of accuracy and decision making. I think Tinsley is stronger in some of the other areas, and I am sure that Gubrud is stronger in other areas. But Gordon appears to be at the sweet spot for the first game. And from then on it is probably his to lose. There are certainly others who will come in if Gordon disappoints CML.

From observing August practices last year to this year Gordon has looked better than Minshew. Not even that close. Gage has been solid. He hasn't lost the job. Air Gordon won it. Gordon's been pretty special. He has great chemistry with outside Wrs. Now it's time to see it translate on Saturdays. Lots of guys look awesome at practice and games overwhelm them. That's where Minshew shined. Never let the pressure get to him. He was clutch and just a gamer. Hopefully Gordon will be too. If not we have a good backup that Leach won't hesitate to throw out there.

Yep, like I said, it was GG's job to lose, and that Gordon or Tinsley would have to BEAT, TAKE the job from GG, and that if it were NECK AND NECK, that it would ve GG's job.

GG has been SOLID. But Gordon was apparently better, beat, took the job from GG.

So have GG, a ROCK SOLID STARTING QB, as a BACK UP, to where if Gordon gets injured, or if Gordon does horribly, there is Gage.

CML has made it clear that accuracy and decision making are his top priorities. There are several other things that are nice to have....arm strength/velocity, height/field vision and mobility are three of those, but there are more....but he picks based primarily on his assessment of accuracy and decision making. I think Tinsley is stronger in some of the other areas, and I am sure that Gubrud is stronger in other areas. But Gordon appears to be at the sweet spot for the first game. And from then on it is probably his to lose. There are certainly others who will come in if Gordon disappoints CML.
Fortunately, our first two games should give opportunities to feel things out at game speed, and to get some snaps for the backups as well. I'm really hoping to see us doing some serious, multi-position exercising of the 2- and 3-deep for the better part of 3 quarters between the first two games. I hope that happens, as I don't see many likely opportunities for that later in the season.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I'm a lot more worried about our DBs than our QBs.
I’m not. 1. They are seeing one of the deepest and most talented receiving corps in the country every day 2. Ross is a baller and not sure he won’t end up having a bigger upside than JT. Corners are long and physical. The D Line and rush ends are loaded and will be better, and will make QBs make mistakes which will give this group some early confidence. 3. Remember all the PIs last year? When that’s factored in, this group had their issues last year I think they will improve even with the losses. I think they will play well and make a lot of big plays.

I’m not. 1. They are seeing one of the deepest and most talented receiving corps in the country every day 2. Ross is a baller and not sure he won’t end up having a bigger upside than JT. Corners are long and physical. The D Line and rush ends are loaded and will be better, and will make QBs make mistakes which will give this group some early confidence. 3. Remember all the PIs last year? When that’s factored in, this group had their issues last year I think they will improve even with the losses. I think they will play well and make a lot of big plays.

It's August. All the players look great until they face real competition in a real game, and most of our db's haven't.

The truth is what QB's can expose them on a weekly and play by play basis? Not sure there a lot of sophisticated passing games. at same time I could see a team like Cal keep it close and need one play in the passing game and lack of experience gives up a free one.

It's August. All the players look great until they face real competition in a real game, and most of our db's haven't.
Fair point. I was impressed with Ross in the spring game. I think as solid as the D was last year there were lots of struggles with finding the ball and not committing PIs. I believe we have an abundance of riches at WR that challenge these guys in ways they won’t see on Saturday’s. I’m optimistic there’s enough talent there to not be a glaring weakness that gets exposed regularly. We will find out soon!

Reactions: GrayOnGray

Corners, DB's are Long, Physical, TALLER, QUICK, FAST, have SEMI GOOD, SEMI GREAT cover technique.

What you are saying would be true, valid point if WSU WR's were not as good, better then the REAL COMPETITION WR'S

Yogi Roth, EXPERTS, pundits, writers, PLAYERS, COACHES, RESULTS, STATS, COMPETITION, ETC, says that WSU WR CORP IS TIED WITH USC FOR BEST, DEEPEST WR CORP IN PAC 12, AND 5TH, 6TH, 7TH, TOP 10 BEST, DEEPEST WR CORP IN THE NATION THAT IS BETTER THEN THE REAL COMPETITION WR'S.

So because of that, WSU DB's have gone against BETTER then real competition WR's in the Spring Game, Fall game like scrimmage simulations.

The only point that semi valid is your REAL GAME point.

Even tho the DB's have done good, ok, held their own, etc, against better then real competition, WSU WR's, in spring game, scrimmages, etc, they might not be able to do that in a REAL GAME, but not because of the real competition in a Real Game, but because of the Real Game itself.

Its kind of like how lets say a singer is the best singer then out of all the Professional Celebrity, Rich, Famous singers out there.

And lets say that best singer flips hamburgers at a fast food restaurant.

And lets say that best singer gets the chance to Sing in public, but instead of singing good, either panics, doesnt sing because of stage fright, or sang horribly because of nerves, etc.

That kind of thing is the only thing that could happen to WSU DB's in a Real Game, that could cause them to play bad or not as good in a real game.

But thats why there is the nonconference tune up, REAL GAMES, to help with, against that.

So because of everything I have said here, WSU DB's SHOULD be just fine.

So I am not worried about WSU DB's at all.

And neither should you or any other coug fan be worried about WSU DB's

Fair point. I was impressed with Ross in the spring game. I think as solid as the D was last year there were lots of struggles with finding the ball and not committing PIs. I believe we have an abundance of riches at WR that challenge these guys in ways they won’t see on Saturday’s. I’m optimistic there’s enough talent there to not be a glaring weakness that gets exposed regularly. We will find out soon!

Ross has also been LIGHTS OUT AMAZING in Fall Camp, practice, scrimmages, and players, coaches, Mike Leach, Yogi Roth, Lawson, have all noticed, seen that, mentioned it.

If Marsh wins the job opposite Strong we'll have two starting corners at like 5'8". That's barely taller than me, so no, that's not long. Langford is long, but he's in a fight for his job with Marsh.

What you are saying would be true, valid point if WSU WR's were not as good, better then the REAL COMPETITION WR'S

Yogi Roth, EXPERTS, pundits, writers, PLAYERS, COACHES, RESULTS, STATS, COMPETITION, ETC, says that WSU WR CORP IS TIED WITH USC FOR BEST, DEEPEST WR CORP IN PAC 12, AND 5TH, 6TH, 7TH, TOP 10 BEST, DEEPEST WR CORP IN THE NATION THAT IS BETTER THEN THE REAL COMPETITION WR'S.

So because of that, WSU DB's have gone against BETTER then real competition WR's in the Spring Game, Fall game like scrimmage simulations.

Even tho the DB's have done good, ok, held their own, etc, against better then real competition, WSU WR's, in spring game, scrimmages, etc, they might not be able to do that in a REAL GAME, but not because of the real competition in a Real Game, but because of the Real Game itself.

Its kind of like how lets say a singer is the best singer then out of all the Professional Celebrity, Rich, Famous singers out there.

And lets say that best singer gets the chance to Sing in public, but instead of singing good, either panics, doesnt sing because of stage fright, or sang horribly because of nerves, etc.

That kind of thing is the only thing that could happen to WSU DB's in a Real Game, that could cause them to play bad or not as good in a real game.

But thats why there is the nonconference tune up, REAL GAMES, to help with, against that.

So you’re implying we have the best singing, burger flipping DBs in the league?

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Well, that and other teams run different offenses with different route concepts, which our DBs have not seen.

There's always an adjustment with first year players, I don't care who they've been covering in practice.

So you’re implying we have the best singing, burger flipping DBs in the league?

Gotta love how he explains things like we're all GD idiots. Does anyone really need 3 paragraphs essentially just describing what "stage fright" is?

First, he is playing with nothing to lose.
Second, if he struggles, with more reps, Gage is going to get better each week.
Third, Leach needs to emphasis and remind everyone that they have to earn their job. If Gordo gets it, underscores to all the QBs that every snap is earned.

I look at it this way. If Gordon is good enough to beat out a kid who "lit up" a power 5 school, that went on to beat Miami in the Sun bowl, to the tune of 550 yards of total offense and 6 touchdowns with an undermanned FCS squad, he must be playing lights out right now. If it doesn't translate to game play, Houston will be the test, his backup has proven he is a proven "gamer." Either way were sitting pretty.

Reactions: mikalalas
Gotta love how he explains things like we're all GD idiots. Does anyone really need 3 paragraphs essentially just describing what "stage fright" is?

Why do you assume he's capable of a more concise and articulate response?

It is part of his charm....(and that is not a smart a$$ comment). It is who he is....

Well, that and other teams run different offenses with different route concepts, which our DBs have not seen.

There's always an adjustment with first year players, I don't care who they've been covering in practice.

That's True, but that's why there is a noncon schedule, and a gradual toughening up of schedule, to help with that.

If the DB's had to play Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, etc, for the 1st game instead of down the road sometime, then yeah they might even wet the bed.

But New Mexico St, and Houston, etc, then no the DB's would probably not wet the bed, and be just fine then and later on in the Pac 12 season, on into the bowl games.

Would be surprised if Isom isn't the starter next Saturday over Ross. We need Langford to get healthy in a hurry. His length is needed on the perimeter. Marsh is a great story, but if he is the starting cb opposite of Strong then we will be in trouble. The good thing is our DL is gonna be so dang good that our dbs won't have to cover too long.

Would be surprised if Isom isn't the starter next Saturday over Ross. We need Langford to get healthy in a hurry. His length is needed on the perimeter. Marsh is a great story, but if he is the starting cb opposite of Strong then we will be in trouble. The good thing is our DL is gonna be so dang good that our dbs won't have to cover too long.

Marsh is a scrapper but he's undersized and doesn't have much in the way of athleticism. Ive heard his performances have been pretty good at times to downright terrible at others. It's a major problem if he's the starting because once teams figure out his weaknesses, he's going to get absolutely abused.

They are facing a top 10 WR unit in all of college football, every day. They are prepared for what’s to come.
Yes, our receivers are top-notch, but, again, it is August and they are seeing the same extremely simplified playbook over and over and....

I don't think we will know all that much until Houston. Glad we have two games to see different schemes. Claeys wasn't even all that confident, but that was a week ago.

Marsh is a scrapper but he's undersized and doesn't have much in the way of athleticism. Ive heard his performances have been pretty good at times to downright terrible at others. It's a major problem if he's the starting because once teams figure out his weaknesses, he's going to get absolutely abused.

That would be like starting Teondre Caldwell at safety the first game. It would be very problematic.

That would be like starting Teondre Caldwell at safety the first game. It would be very problematic.

Caldwell was at least a Pac-12 caliber athlete. Marsh is an undersized try hard guy who is going to see a lot of PT in one of the most pass happy conferences. Hopefully Langford gets healthy.

Too bad Isom got switched to safety, he'd be starting if it weren't for Thompson getting kicked out.

If Marsh wins the job opposite Strong we'll have two starting corners at like 5'8". That's barely taller than me, so no, that's not long. Langford is long, but he's in a fight for his job with Marsh.

OK, Rodrick Fisher may very well blow by a lot of DBs this season, but he's already left Marsh choking on his dust (metaphorically speaking) many times in summer camp. I get it. Give the guy a scholarship for working his ass off. Give him some reps v. NMST and Northern Colorado, but schools such as USC are going to light him up. Perhaps the coaches are just trying to "inspire" better and more consistent practice play from the incoming DBs. It's a classic game of psychology. We have the talent at the DB position. This isn't a situation where we're forced to play a converted running back at safety, as has been suggested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT