ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread. Cougs vs. Devils

Bad series for Gordon
Almost intercepted
Missed wide open guy.
ASU has 90 seconds left in the half.
Gordon has to be a leader on this team.

Not a good series by Gordon. Threw into double coverage. Then, misses a wide open WR.

Gordon is garbage. His inability to read the field and hit easy passes he essentially resulted in 7-14 points depending on this drive.

We’ve given up 230 passing. While they looked better at times they’re still giving up a ton of plays.

For how smart Leach is you would think by now he would have developed a method field an average defense routinely, regardless of changes and recruiting

That was a painful 2nd qtr.

Gordon just doesn't seem to have the rally the team juice. And he is a chucker.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
They need to run the ball between the tackles. Broken record player. I know.

Gotta loosen up the back 7 by forcing the front 7 to defend the run. Run the receivers open.

The DL needs to make plays on the QB. The back 7 can be beat easily.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Tight coverage when they have 86 yards to go in 2 minutes? One missed tackle, and they can go the distance! Rookie DC mistake there. There's playing aggressive, then there is being stupid.

Yes, bad second quarter all the way around. Gordon threw into double coverage a few times, not to mention missing a wide open Jackson that would have been a big game. The defense played well, but ASU adjusted. Hopefully, WSU makes corrections during the break

I'll give ASU some credit. Yeah they have only the 2 DL, but they're bringing 5 or more a lot of the time, from different angles. They have to to get home, and our receivers are making their DBs look average (which at the moment, I would LOVE to have for our side). I do think the shovel pass could be effective against this strategy, but I guess we'll see

Nothing against Patrick Nunn but if they are looking at a freshmen who’s never started a game as a team leader tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: random soul
They need to run the ball between the tackles. Broken record player. I know.

Gotta loosen up the back 7 by forcing the front 7 to defend the run. Run the receivers open.

The DL needs to make plays on the QB. The back 7 can be beat easily.

Are you dense?

They are defending the run with 2 down linemen.

Normally id agree, but no amount of running the ball is going to loosen up the D when you basically dont have to defend againt it because its so poorly executed.

Gordon has to be clutch on 3rd down. Borghi got stuffed on that 3rd and 5 and that hurt us badly. Need to get screen game going. Big half for our program.

I'll give ASU some credit. Yeah they have only the 2 DL, but they're bringing 5 or more a lot of the time, from different angles. They have to to get home, and our receivers are making their DBs look average (which at the moment, I would LOVE to have for our side). I do think the shovel pass could be effective against this strategy, but I guess we'll see

However, this isn't new for ASU. Its their base D. We had 2 weeks to get ready for it, but ... Mr. "smoke and mirrors" is not known as Mr. "adjustment." That said our OL is utterly dreadful .run blocking. 2 DL should mean run gaps a plenty, but ...

Are you dense?

They are defending the run with 2 down linemen.

Normally id agree, but no amount of running the ball is going to loosen up the D when you basically dont have to defend againt it because its so poorly executed.

Im not dense. Dense is throwing the ball over and over into a 2 man DL. Dense is not having a quick dive play for that defense.

Ask yourself, what would Tom Brady do facing that defense? Throw it or run it?

However, this isn't new for ASU. Its their base D. We had 2 weeks to get ready for it, but ... Mr. "smoke and mirrors" is not known as Mr. "adjustment." That said our OL is utterly dreadful .run blocking. 2 DL should mean run gaps a plenty, but ...
Or at least get a push of couple of yards, but we have defenders 1 yard deep at the snap

Gordon is a less volatile version of Halliday, but yes, same general approach
As if his eyes slow down as the game progresses. They need to give him an exam exam at half-time. Isom trying to shoulder tackle a larger player?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT