ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread. Cougs vs. Ducks

I'm not sure I'd feel great if I'm on the O staff. They shouldn't need to be +2 in turnovers to beat this Coug team.

Reactions: walzuu
That's disappointing, but it's the first loss I've watched this year that I'm not that upset about. Oregon's a good team, and we matched them blow for blow, in spite of all those mistakes. The Cougs competed. Hard. Side note: the officiating in this game was a circus. Whichever team lost would have had gripes.

We've lost 3 conference games because we can't get the one clutch stop at the end of the game the we need. This team could easily be 7-1... instead we are 4-4. So frustrating.
We are about two guys short on defense, a decent LB and decent guy in the secondary.

Too many mistakes. Went too conservative, dropped TDs, missed tackles. Can't do that on the road but that's how it goes.

We've lost 3 conference games because we can't get the one clutch stop at the end of the game that we need. This team could easily be 7-1... instead we are 4-4. So frustrating.
That screams talent to me. Just don't have the players on that side of the ball. They played pretty well tonight for the most part. They played good enough to win if the offense doesn't make those 2 unforced errors in the first half.

Team came to play.
Good effort overall.
Some mistakes on offense and defense but that's college football.
Cougs only need two more wins to go bowling and they should be favored over Cal, OSU and Stanford. 7-4 going into the Apple Cup would be nice.

That screams talent to me. Just don't have the players on that side of the ball. They played pretty well tonight for the most part. They played good enough to win if the offense doesn't make those 2 unforced errors in the first half.
That was 3 errors. The 2 drops that are TDs and the pick-6. That's 18 points we gave away. Then came out in the 2nd half and snapped it over Gordon's head on the first play. We played well enough but gave way too much away.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
That's disappointing, but it's the first loss I've watched this year that I'm not that upset about. Oregon's a good team, and we matched them blow for blow, in spite of all those mistakes. The Cougs competed. Hard. Side note: the officiating in this game was a circus. Whichever team lost would have had gripes.
I’ll go one further. We outplayed them. Our mistakes beat us. Dropped TD on the first drive, led to 3 instead of 7. Tipped pass turned a TD into an INT. Pick 6. Bad coverage on the last kick return. Fix any one of those and we probably win.

The team that played tonight doesn’t lose to UCLA or ASU. Might not lose to UW. Wins everything else. If they keep showing up like this we could still finish 8-4.

Edit to add: one other mistake - going away from Borghi. They didn’t have an answer for him, and he moves the clock.

That was 3 errors. The 2 drops that are TDs and the pick-6. That's 18 points we gave away. Then came out in the 2nd half and snapped it over Gordon's head on the first play. We played well enough but gave way too much away.
I didn't see the other drop. When did that happen? on the first field goal drive?

After Tay’s long reception, we had the chance to run time off the clock and didn’t. Woulda coulda shoulda.
We could have run more time off the clock. Could have run at least 30 more seconds off the clock or forced Oregon to use their timeouts. Harris also went out of bounds to stop the clock as well. Also the kickoff was a killer where they end up starting at their 40.

Great game. Great showing. No shame in this loss. Bye week and then get after Cal.

Was thinking about that. I think the next play was a completed pass that went out of bounds for short yardage. Perhaps a run up the middle even for no yards would have killed the clock for any comeback.
But hey, the Cougs got the TD and it went down to the last play.

Cougs are on an upswing. Just keep this level of play going and they will get the wins they need.

Oh...looks like I quoted the wrong message. Was supposed to be about one with the game clock. Oh well.

No moral victories when you drop to 1-4 in conference. This was a game we should have won. Mistakes in the first half and the defense being unable (AGAIN) to finish out the game. FFS... 0-3 on the season at getting that one final stop to seal the win. Its maddening. This team should be 7-1 with their only loss coming on the road to a very good Utah team... instead we are 4-4 and still in need of 2 more wins to have a shot at a bowl game. Is it so much to ask that we actually come out on top in one of these nail biters? Is it?!!!

I didn't see the other drop. When did that happen? on the first field goal drive?
Rodrick Fisher on the FG drive. It did look like to me that someone from Oregon was able to slightly tip the ball but it was right Fisher's hands. Settled for the FG.

Man, that's a tough loss to take....but the team played hard and well for much of the game. Most competitive game Ducks have been in since Auburn. Would've been nice to knock them out of their National Championship Playoff chatter. Can't lose the turnover margin, give up 250+ yard to a running back, throw a pick-six, and get victimized by poor officiating and still beat the #11 team on the road.

That last 90-yard drive for the Cougars was destined to be a classic, but just not meant to be. No playmakers on defense, unfortunately. The D played better than I thought they would and kept us close & competitive.

Oh well, I'll go to bed proud of the Cougs tonight.

Glad Cougar

No moral victories when you drop to 1-4 in conference. This was a game we should have won. Mistakes in the first half and the defense being unable (AGAIN) to finish out the game. FFS... 0-3 on the season at getting that one final stop to seal the win. Its maddening. This team should be 7-1 with their only loss coming on the road to a very good Utah team... instead we are 4-4 and still in need of 2 more wins to have a shot at a bowl game. Is it so much to ask that we actually come out on top in one of these nail biters? Is it?!!!
We're just not a very good team. The defense requires a cushion or it's a no go. Forget the last drive. The defense just can't get stops period unless the other team makes a mistake. Even when we hold to field goals it's because the other team broke down, not due to anything we do

Losses aren't that tough for me with a team like this. This is a team that I expect to lose and am pleasantly surprised if they win. Makes for a stress free season. After the UCLA debacle it was easy to "let go". I just want them to play hard. They're just missing too many things. Gordon has the potential to be really good, but loses his mind a couple times a game. The D is the D. What you gonna do o_O
Oddly enough, this is the type of team/season that wins the AC

Reactions: M-I-Coug and walzuu
Should've applied pressure on the last drive.

Also, not sure about criticizing Harris for going out of bounds on the last drive. We're down 6, we're trying to get yards and score. I understand second guessing Gordon for snapping the ball early in the play clock, but not a guy fighting for yards when we are down. I guess if we're tied and going to take the lead with at least a FG, but again, not when we're down. You need every yard or 1st down until you score.

What’s funny is over on the O boards they are as pissed at the officiating as we were. They are convinced the refs were jobbing them. My old man used to say “A fair deal is when both parties think they got a good deal or both parties think they got a raw deal.” Perhaps things were fair after all.

What’s funny is over on the O boards they are as pissed at the officiating as we were. They are convinced the refs were jobbing them. My old man used to say “A fair deal is when both parties think they got a good deal or both parties think they got a raw deal.” Perhaps things were fair after all.
It was certainly bad on both sides.

Should've applied pressure on the last drive.

Also, not sure about criticizing Harris for going out of bounds on the last drive. We're down 6, we're trying to get yards and score. I understand second guessing Gordon for snapping the ball early in the play clock, but not a guy fighting for yards when we are down. I guess if we're tied and going to take the lead with at least a FG, but again, not when we're down. You need every yard or 1st down until you score.
I'll agree with that take. He was simply fighting for every single yard he could get. It wasn't like we were ahead and trying to run out the clock. So I'll take back that part of my post.

Losses aren't that tough for me with a team like this. This is a team that I expect to lose and am pleasantly surprised if they win. Makes for a stress free season. After the UCLA debacle it was easy to "let go". I just want them to play hard. They're just missing too many things. Gordon has the potential to be really good, but loses his mind a couple times a game. The D is the D. What you gonna do o_O
Oddly enough, this is the type of team/season that wins the AC

I feel the opposite. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose big. Its easy for me to detach myself emotionally when we suck... its infuriating when we continue to come up just short of good enough. Add the fact that I don't live on the west coast and these games keep me up super late... A loss is a loss... and I'd rather be down 4 TDs and go to bed at the half, rather than staying up till 2 am to watch us blow a lead with 1 minute to go. Either way I wake up to WSU being 4-4... but one scenario I wake up rested and the other I spend my Sunday a zombie.

This should have been a statement win... going in to Eugene and beating the #11 team in country. That could have propelled us to a strong finish against what is looking like a manageable remaining schedule. But I have ZERO faith in this team to finish out a close game.

I feel the opposite. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose big. Its easy for me to detach myself emotionally when we suck... its infuriating when we continue to come up just short of good enough. Add the fact that I don't live on the west coast and these games keep me up super late... A loss is a loss... and I'd rather be down 4 TDs and go to bed at the half, rather than staying up till 2 am to watch us blow a lead with 1 minute to go. Either way I wake up to WSU being 4-4... but one scenario I wake up rested and the other I spend my Sunday a zombie.

This should have been a statement win... going in to Eugene and beating the #11 team in country. That could have propelled us to a strong finish against what is looking like a manageable remaining schedule. But I have ZERO faith in this team to finish out a close game.
Not for me. Playing well enough to win for me means we're close to having a good team. Getting curb stomped means you have a long way to go. For a program like WSU historically, you can't afford to post too many ass kickings. Getting recruits is hard enough.
I don't think this team is very good due to the imbalance, so in my eyes it's not like we're wasting one of our "stacked" (for WSU) teams by playing poorly. This is a middling team that gives middling results. That UCLA game killed any chance for a special year and I don't think the D is up for one of those runs anyhow.

I had the same thought. Illegal touching doesn’t apply if the player is forced out. Seems pretty hard to call both penalties simultaneously...and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen.
I've also never seen an ADDITIONAL penalty not called on the field enforced from the replay booth before.

We're just not a very good team. The defense requires a cushion or it's a no go. Forget the last drive. The defense just can't get stops period unless the other team makes a mistake. Even when we hold to field goals it's because the other team broke down, not due to anything we do
100% Agree, this defense reminds me of CML's first 2 years, just not good and don't ever leave a game to them for the win.

I've also never seen an ADDITIONAL penalty not called on the field enforced from the replay booth before.
The targeting call earlier this season on, Stone? That one where there was a false start, then they reviewed and got us for targeting and the. Wiped out the false start. They have done it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT