ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread: Washington State vs Utah State

Problems I have:

Realizing that Utah state D has a lot of movement, we have zero blocking at the second level. The OL has little awareness and doesn’t know who to block unless someone is lined up on them.

JDL stares at his first read too long

Our formations tip our hand too much. If the RB is beside the QB, we’re not running.

I’m sure I’ll come up with more.
I don’t think it’s the line. I think it’s by design. That’s part of the run and shoot. We have too much pulling and movement on the line. The run and shoot often leaves one guy unblocked to get to a second level player.. problem is they are stunting and attacking gaps, which is difficult to account for when the line is pulling.. That’s why we have so many losses even on run plays.. When we ran more traditional blocking schemes we were fine. I hope the coaches make the adjustment at half..

Okay, weird first half.
USU should have scored but false starts killed them.
OL not doing the job so far.
QB change after safety.
Cougs only get three points from two turnovers.

So I've decided to write off the first half and will be interested to see adjustments and better overall play. Looks like many teams have had poor starts this year. (except Montana)

It shows an inherent lack of trust in the fact that you can cover a KO against a far lesser team. Not good. Especially at half, and there wasn't even momentum to lose.
Usually I agree with that, but if executed properly, which is was, the lineman either fair catches it or drops it. With one minute left in the half, I liked the call.

Last season, halftime adjustments by this staff were not good. 3rd quarters were pretty bad. Here's hoping they've learned something.

It shows an inherent lack of trust in the fact that you can cover a KO against a far lesser team. Not good. Especially at half, and there wasn't even momentum to lose.
Usu has a good return man. Keeping the ball away from him right before half was the right call.

Borghi looks bulked up this year, but still has that extra gear.

Should be getting the ball in his hands nearly every play.

Reactions: froropmkr72
F off with a PI Davies.

Ollie was way more mugged than that
True, but the refs are being consistent about it. Throw away the fade, if the refs are gonna allow contact it's just a losing proposition unless somebody is keeping Larry Fitzgerald in their back pocket

Just heard a bit of the stadium PA....didn't sound like Glenn johnson. Is he in the building?

That was a bad call. I'd be pretty mad if a USU fan.

de Laura really needs to learn some touch

Better 3rd quarter.
Still room for improvement but right now the Cougs need to get a score to start the 4th and put some distance between these teams.
JDL is still learning

Why TF would you bring Cooper into the game in that situation with a completely different formation? USU was totally gassed and had no answer for the outside plays.

Yikes.
Absolutely idiotic. Rolovich is over his skis.

That was confusing but if Cooper is coming in to use his size then do a sneak or keep it on the option. He was left by himself on the 2nd down. They keyed on Max.
still 23 -11 in the 4th
Much better than 6-5 at the half.

Was JDL banged up? Only explanation I can think of other than the coach just getting cute and out thinking himself.

QB merry-go-round is garbage.

JDL has no accuracy past 15 yards.

Borghi is the real deal; too bad the OL takes the plays off when Cooper came in.

D scheme is either bad or we lack a ton of talent; every run is good for 3 yards, every pass for 5.

It going to be a long season with bad losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT