ADVERTISEMENT

Official MWC Game Thread

Flipped over to Mia/Fla at half. Cam looking damn good. Miami’s line is NFL quality compared to our line last year.

OSU game hasn't even started and they switched us to stream? Wondered if we would overlap, but didn't expect a cutaway to the next game.

Patty Murray is lathered up and waiting for you.
Gawd you are such a dick. I have a sense of humor and some humility. You have neither. With your homely face, I'd think you should have both. And I bet you suck in the sack. Send your long-suffering wife my way.

Students showed up well initially and probably made up half of the announced attendance. There were probably 20 students in the student section at the start of the fourth quarter though.
There were some aerial shots in the late 3rd & 4th, and it looked like the only students left were below the concourse. Not very many still in the building.

It was stupid hot on the "student's side". For the fans who don't know and love WSU... not surprised one bit that it cleared out.

The norm of 50% halftime departing when the game is over anyway too full effect.

Lots of fans migrated to the shade.

Oddly boring game that really wasn't boring until the 2nd half.

It was stupid hot on the "student's side". For the fans who don't know and love WSU... not surprised one bit that it cleared out.

The norm of 50% halftime departing when the game is over anyway too full effect.

Lots of fans migrated to the shade.

Oddly boring game that really wasn't boring until the 2nd half.
That’s definitely true. There was never much drama and the outcome wasn’t in doubt….but the second half was pretty much a snoozer.

I did own it.

What did you see differently?
No idea what you guys are talking about here.

That said, all in all could not ask for a better first game. We kicked their asses, Mateer after a rough start looked great. Glad to see Eckhaus get some serious playing time. Along with all the other non-starters. I looked at the stats, shit we must have played 25 guys on defense alone. So valuable. Interesting (other thread) that TT struggled. Would be great to take it to them next week.

I will freely admit my categories of grouchiness about the game yesterday

1) DT. If we can't have an occasional BLAST up the middle against Big Sky schools, the position is probably closer to Big Sky than Pac-12. Granted, this is probably the most difficult position for WAZZU to have, but we have had them in the past.

2) 4th quarter needed players to play like it's real and not a high school freshman league 5th quarter so call plays like it's real. I don't like it when players are asked to come in to big games and perform, but they've only had Paw Patrol experience.

3) Giving out Troll hair from concessions has no noise to it. The school cuts back to barely allowing a sandwich sized Ziplock bag into the stadium, but they can try to encourage concessions sales by doing that? Not Sigma. F- for getting people to buy tickets.

Other than... awesome way to start the season! We definitely got in the FLOW.

I'm intrigued to see what Portland State does this year. They definitely did some things right... with skill and experience.

That said, all in all could not ask for a better first game. We kicked their asses, Mateer after a rough start looked great. Glad to see Eckhaus get some serious playing time. Along with all the other non-starters. I looked at the stats, shit we must have played 25 guys on defense alone. So valuable. Interesting (other thread) that TT struggled. Would be great to take it to them next week.
The first exchange wasn’t a good start. We go 3 & out, with a TFL on the first play and a bad throw on 3rd down. Then we give up a 5 play drive for a TD, with a 50+ yard run on a serious defensive breakdown. Bad start.

After that, we worked the jitters out, shook off the rust, or whatever cliche you prefer, and pretty much scored at will.

I maintain that our OL needs to improve their run blocking and find a way to get to the second level. They weren’t doing that yesterday, and against a team with better linebackers that’s going to keep us to 3 YPC. On defense, I’m not sure we really tried to do much beyond base D - I don’t remember seeing many blitzes - but while we controlled the line reasonably well I don’t think we were as dominant as we probably should have been.

Texas Tech’s opponent (Abilene Christian) was in an accident on their way home. Bus was hit by a 19 year old drunk driver. 1 player, 2 coaches, and the bus driver went to hospitals, but no serious injuries.

Some random thoughts (as opposed to Random thoughts ;)):

- I was overall pleased with the CW network effort.
- We shook off the initial jitters and played well.
- PSU's offense will do well in Big Sky. Their secondary is both slow and weak. They made us look much better than reality at FBS level.
- Too many missed tackles. The old "go for the belly button" fundamental was spotty. I suspect that will be a focus.
- We got better at containing the edge as the day went on.

Attendance wasn't a surprise with this opponent. Next game will be a better measure.

Gawd you are such a dick. I have a sense of humor and some humility. You have neither. With your homely face, I'd think you should have both. And I bet you suck in the sack. Send your long-suffering wife my way.
So, no after action report?

I will freely admit my categories of grouchiness about the game yesterday

1) DT. If we can't have an occasional BLAST up the middle against Big Sky schools, the position is probably closer to Big Sky than Pac-12. Granted, this is probably the most difficult position for WAZZU to have, but we have had them in the past.

2) 4th quarter needed players to play like it's real and not a high school freshman league 5th quarter so call plays like it's real. I don't like it when players are asked to come in to big games and perform, but they've only had Paw Patrol experience.

3) Giving out Troll hair from concessions has no noise to it. The school cuts back to barely allowing a sandwich sized Ziplock bag into the stadium, but they can try to encourage concessions sales by doing that? Not Sigma. F- for getting people to buy tickets.

Other than... awesome way to start the season! We definitely got in the FLOW.

I'm intrigued to see what Portland State does this year. They definitely did some things right... with skill and experience.

1. Portland St's Running game, is extremely good, so say all the so called experts.

2. WSU's DL is awesome, is 8 deep, is extremely BEEFY, BEASTLY, EXPERIENCED.

3. While Budda, Thornton are great Linebackers, there is NO DEPTH at LB behind Budda, Thornton. That means that when Budda, Thornton come out, WSU is going to be very weak against the run.

4. The linebackers were often out of position, didn't do their assignments right, missed tackles, fell prey to Portland St's misdirection, counter treys, counter gaps, etc, due to over pursuit, cheating up inside, etc.

5. That means if opposing O Line men, get hats on, hold blocks against even the very good WSU DL, that means if the linebacker blow it, make mistakes, etc, like they did against a good running team like Portland St, that going to give up a lot of Bend, but don't break rushing yards.

6. Most of Portland St's rushing yards, passing yards, were from about 4,5,6,7 big plays, that happened earlier in game. And happened because since WSU got such a big lead, they put in back up linebacker, that gave up big plays, etc.

7. After those big plays, Dickert put the starting Linebackers in, and they settled down, in, stopped making big mistakes, started playing better defense, etc.

8. WSU's DL, Secondary are very good. The linebacker Corp is the weakness.

9. Dickert, coaching staff, players, are going to work out the first game defensive kinks, etc.

And altho the offense was so explosive, quick scoring, etc, the offense needs to do more long ball control drives, that last about 5 minutes, instead of 1 minute scoring strikes, so that the defense is not constantly on the field, getting worn out, tired, etc, so that the defense gets some rest, etc.

Uber got his depends in a bunch 2 minutes into the game.

The DL did not start off well. DTs making tackles 8+ yards down field is not a good sign. Plenty of room for improvement.
I suspect CJD had them staying home to contain PSU QB1. I personally don't agree with that strategy - that's why you have LBs and edge guys.

I suspect CJD had them staying home to contain PSU QB1. I personally don't agree with that strategy - that's why you have LBs and edge guys.

The Linebackers were terrible at least when back up linebackers came in, at least for 4,5,6,7,8 big plays.

The play where PSU QB scored on a run, the edge, and the linebacker were caught cheating Inside, bit on the misdirection, didn't seal the edge redirect QB inside to help D.

And the PSU RB's were using great juking, cut backs, counter treys, counter gaps, etc, and made the Linebackers miss the tackle in the holes, and once the PSU RB's got past the WSU linebackers in the holes, they went for big gains.

It was the linebackers fault.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT