ADVERTISEMENT

On moral victories

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
I'm claiming one. Not for the offense, bad execution in the red zone cost us the game, really. But for the defense. Sure they overplayed McCaffrey and took too long to give Hogan some focus after that first long run, but compare what we saw last night to what we've seen for years up front against Stanford. Watching even last year's game and then this year's would be an interesting compare and contrast piece. The defensive line flat put it to an experienced Stanford front that'd been getting its own way against almost everybody. If the front keeps playing like that, there's nobody in this conference that we can't beat. Even the offensive line held up better than it has in years past against the Trees. We wanted progress this season. I'd say that constitutes progress.

I'm claiming one. Not for the offense, bad execution in the red zone cost us the game, really. But for the defense. Sure they overplayed McCaffrey and took too long to give Hogan some focus after that first long run, but compare what we saw last night to what we've seen for years up front against Stanford. Watching even last year's game and then this year's would be an interesting compare and contrast piece. The defensive line flat put it to an experienced Stanford front that'd been getting its own way against almost everybody. If the front keeps playing like that, there's nobody in this conference that we can't beat. Even the offensive line held up better than it has in years past against the Trees. We wanted progress this season. I'd say that constitutes progress.
You played a B level game, and were a stray wind gust from having that be enough to beat a top ten team. Moral victory? No, not at all.

But this is what the pivot from "doormat" to "contender" looks like, and the expectations and criticism can shift to match the better level of team.

Sometimes two good teams play- the fact that they can't both win doesn't make the loser not a good team.

You played a B level game, and were a stray wind gust from having that be enough to beat a top ten team. Moral victory? No, not at all.

But this is what the pivot from "doormat" to "contender" looks like, and the expectations and criticism can shift to match the better level of team.

Sometimes two good teams play- the fact that they can't both win doesn't make the loser not a good team.
No moral victory for me and more importantly I am sure for players, coaches. They were in position to win this game on a 43 yard FG. First time for Powell in that situation. He has improved as much as anyone and hopefully will hit that the next time around. It wasn't like he shanked it. Just a little off and he should improve if they need him in that situation again.

Leach keeps hammering on "play the next play" and I felt like I saw that from Falk and the offense last night. The defense forced a FG after the non-turnover and pick. On the final drive I thought they needed to get to the 25 and while it was ugly they worked their way down the field to get into position. The defense gave a blueprint for how to stop Stanford's offense. Hopefully this game doesn't push into ASU because that's a game we can win along with everyone else on the schedule.

Go Coug's!

No moral victory for me and more importantly I am sure for players, coaches. They were in position to win this game on a 43 yard FG. First time for Powell in that situation. He has improved as much as anyone and hopefully will hit that the next time around. It wasn't like he shanked it. Just a little off and he should improve if they need him in that situation again.

Leach keeps hammering on "play the next play" and I felt like I saw that from Falk and the offense last night. The defense forced a FG after the non-turnover and pick. On the final drive I thought they needed to get to the 25 and while it was ugly they worked their way down the field to get into position. The defense gave a blueprint for how to stop Stanford's offense. Hopefully this game doesn't push into ASU because that's a game we can win along with everyone else on the schedule.

Go Coug's!
That "play the next play" narrow focus mantra gets preached a lot but the two guys I most associate with really getting it to work are Leach and Saban. They're both pretty firmly in the "execution, execution, execution" school and the narrow focus is the vehicle they've chosen for getting there. Stylistically it's a bit of a departure from Price but it should also hopefully deliver more consistent results.

Wulffui's comment at the top of the thread points out a nuance of the conversation that's important. We've already lost, so we can cry about what could have been or we can embrace the postives of the game and appreciate that we just got through going toe to toe with a team that could be in the national championship playoff if they win out. We can at least enjoy the idea that WSU has a legitimate team and not just relying on luck to hang around.

I don't think we want to get in the habit of enjoying moral victories and we need to actually win games if we want to be anything but a bottom feeder but appreciating the competitiveness of the game is different than saying, "it was practically a win!". If we lose to ASU this week in a close game, fewer people will be saying, "Good effort".

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, I agree that taking solace in moral victories is the kind of thing that we were expected to embrace when Wulff was coach. You would think that our friends above would see your point and understand how some would have a problem with that.

At the same time, wulffui's comment at the top of the thread points out a nuance of the conversation that's important. We've already lost, so we can cry about what could have been or we can embrace the postives of the game and appreciate that we just got through going toe to toe with a team that could be in the national championship playoff if they win out. We can at least enjoy the idea that WSU has a legitimate team and not just relying on luck to hang around.

I don't think we want to get in the habit of enjoying moral victories and we need to actually win games if we want to be anything but a bottom feeder but appreciating the competitiveness of the game is different than saying, "it was practically a win!". If we lose to ASU this week in a close game, fewer people will be saying, "Good effort".

It's interesting that you take no solace in moral victories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MikeFingLeach
In general, I agree that taking solace in moral victories is the kind of thing that we were expected to embrace when Wulff was coach. You would think that our friends above would see your point and understand how some would have a problem with that.

At the same time, wulffui's comment at the top of the thread points out a nuance of the conversation that's important. We've already lost, so we can cry about what could have been or we can embrace the postives of the game and appreciate that we just got through going toe to toe with a team that could be in the national championship playoff if they win out. We can at least enjoy the idea that WSU has a legitimate team and not just relying on luck to hang around.

No playoff for Stanford. Swapped with ND despite both of the eeking out a victory over teams they should have easily beat. Don't give me "Temple was ranked", the line for both games was right around 10pts.

That whole system sucks.

No playoff for Stanford. Swapped with ND despite both of the eeking out a victory over teams they should have easily beat. Don't give me "Temple was ranked", the line for both games was right around 10pts.

That whole system sucks.

Stanford doesn't have a good line into the playoff but there is a lot that can happen that would get them there if they win out. Looking at AP rankings since that's what we have until tomorrow:

• #5 TCU plays #2 Baylor and they both have OU and O-State left. Plenty of opportunity for them to stumble.
  • #1 Ohio State plays #6 Michigan State. Loser stays home. Ohio State still has Michigan as well. The winner of this group probably knocks Iowa back out of contention. If Iowa wins out, they might take Stanford's spot.
  • #4 LSU plays #7 Alabama this weekend. Loser likely stays home. Winner will have to beat Florida most likely. Danger there is that a 12-1 Florida team would be hard to leave out of the playoff if they win the SEC championship game. Gators have FSU on their schedule at the finish though.
  • #9 Stanford plays #8 Notre Dame. Win and the Irish are done.
  • # 3 Clemson is the fly in the ointment. If they get past FSU this weekend, they should head into the ACC championship game undefeated. They will still have to play UNC, Duke or Pitt, but I'm liking the Tigers chances if they can get to the ACC championship game 12-0.
  • So, Stanford is going to want to see TCU whip Baylor but lose to OU. They need Baylor to beat OU. They need O-State to get at least one loss. That would put the Big 12 back in a lurch because of timing as much as anything else.
  • It would help for Iowa to choke in a game and then beat the winner of Ohio State/Michigan State. Be even better if Ohio State could lose to Michigan.

Stanford needs a little luck but there are a half dozen different ways for them to sneak in.

"Stanford needs a little luck but there are a half dozen different ways for them to sneak in."

Luck already graduated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT