ADVERTISEMENT

On naming rights, I'd prefer a corporate brand that brings "quality"

Here's the thing about marketing, at least from my little corner of the world. It isn't just about Alaska Air selling more tickets... although it happens. Whether that single vein receives increased flow enough to substantiate that price tag is dependent on the price/cost. But there are other reasons for marketing:

1. To keep your branding strong. For Alaska, they don't want to lose ground to Southwest or Delta or whomever. They don't have any intel on Delta making a move, but they don't want the battle either.

2.Many times, these things are strategic. They have heard Delta wants to make a move on Seattle, part of THEIR marketing plan is to get naming rights and Alaska needs to preempt that. Many, many times this can happen and the public never knows about it.

3. Targeting a demographic. Alaska got a hold of some numbers that show they could increase their revenue by courting the sports world a bit more.

4. Positioning. Alaska is making a move. They are stretching out. They buy the rights to the Utah Stadium because they want more of the Salt Lake market.

5. Experimental product. For Alaska, they are running new routes and they want to use this move in conjunction with the new routes.

Just the ones off the top of my head. But basically, there are many companies that do this strictly to remain "out there". In today's ADD/ADHD world, if you aren't continually out there, you're going to be forgotten. #1 on my list is #1 for a reason.

EDIT: and your jab at the NRA... Since I'm a member, I'd be good with it.

NRA Board member Ted Nugent likes your affiliation. Other recent wisdom from Ted:

"Don't ask why," Nugent said. "Just know that evil, dishonesty and scam artists have always been around and that right now they're liberal, they're Democrat, they're RINOs, they're Hollywood, they're fake news, they're media, they're academia, and they're half of our government, at least."
"So come to that realization," he continued. "There are rabid coyotes running around, you don't wait till you see one to go get your gun, keep your gun handy. And every time you see one, shoot one."

Nugent's comments come days after he called the Parkland, Florida, shooting survivors "liars" and "poor, mushy-brained children."

That said, thanks for the good marketing insight. Are you saying that Alaska DID buy naming rights to Utah's stadium? Or was that just a hypothetical.

The question isn't whether we are a land grant school or rural, my perception is (for athletes we are trying to draw from Seattle) we want to differentiate ourselves to a degree, but say we have everything to offer and more.

We NOT are "hick u" with shotgun racks in the back of our pick up trucks. We are a college campus, in a rural beautiful setting in the NW, that offers a great education and a true college experience. I am not dismissing Darigold per se, I am merely stating if the vision is a world class college town, with great athletics (think Auburn), then we should pick the appropriate sponsor so it completes that vision.

Pretty sure the athletes are not going to be part of the discussion re: naming rights.

NRA Board member Ted Nugent likes your affiliation. Other recent wisdom from Ted:

"Don't ask why," Nugent said. "Just know that evil, dishonesty and scam artists have always been around and that right now they're liberal, they're Democrat, they're RINOs, they're Hollywood, they're fake news, they're media, they're academia, and they're half of our government, at least."
"So come to that realization," he continued. "There are rabid coyotes running around, you don't wait till you see one to go get your gun, keep your gun handy. And every time you see one, shoot one."

Nugent's comments come days after he called the Parkland, Florida, shooting survivors "liars" and "poor, mushy-brained children."

That said, thanks for the good marketing insight. Are you saying that Alaska DID buy naming rights to Utah's stadium? Or was that just a hypothetical.
2 points.

The same way you take offense that Nugent paints a broad brush (and negative one) towards liberal democrats, I'd suggest looking inward. Don't paint all the NRA members with the same brush. You know... tolerance. My name is Steve, not Ted Nugent. K? Treat me with the respect I've earned. Not what Ted has earned (or lack thereof). If there is an NRA board member/celebrity that speaks for me, I'd pick Karl Malone, Tom Selleck, Kim Rhode... but not Nugent.

I was using the Alaska Airlines and Utah as an example. All of those points were examples.

2 points.

The same way you take offense that Nugent paints a broad brush (and negative one) towards liberal democrats, I'd suggest looking inward. Don't paint all the NRA members with the same brush. You know... tolerance. My name is Steve, not Ted Nugent. K? Treat me with the respect I've earned. Not what Ted has earned (or lack thereof). If there is an NRA board member/celebrity that speaks for me, I'd pick Karl Malone, Tom Selleck, Kim Rhode... but not Nugent.

I was using the Alaska Airlines and Utah as an example. All of those points were examples.

Agree with your point here, C95. I know a few NRA members who actually are left of center on most issues, loyal's simpleton-like views aside.
As for Ted, he needs to be pistol whipped...

Reactions: AlwaysSpokanesFault
We are going to be ridiculed if we name our stadium Darigold. Darigold Field, when the Wazzu heffers lay in the pasture.

Horizon Air Field.
Marriott Field. (or a hotel/travel tie).

Really don't think Marriott, an east coast-based (Maryland-based, specifically) multinational hotel company that seems to view itself as a premium brand targeted to urbane sophisticates (I stayed at one recently and all of the branding / videos and the like were consistent with this), is going to have its first stadium / field naming rights deal being sponsorship of a football field at a rural land grant school in Pullman, Washington.

Maybe Motel 6 or whatever motel chain has that crappy "we'll leave the light on for you" tagline with the hokey music playing in its ads, but that probably would be worse than Darigold.

More generally, I hear you on Darigold. I agree that there would be some snickers about WSU, cows, and so forth that I'd prefer to avoid if a better alternative was out there. I'd prefer either something aspirational / positive (e.g., Prime Field sponsored by Amazon) or, at least, neutral (Generic Financial Institution Field). That said, if Darigold ponies up enough cash, Darigold Field it is, and aside from a few jokes by UW fans--most of whom live in trailer parks or other crappy environs in South King County or Pierce County and have little room to talk--nobody would really care.

Last edited:
So I put my marketing hat on and did a very rudimentary search... meaning Wiki, just on the companies in the Seattle area. Boatloads of choices. Personally, I like the idea of Tommy Bahama Stadium. I can see the commercials now. Kids at the Dunes, soaking up the sun. People in the stands, slow mo, cheering on the Cougs, in Tommy shirts, hats and glasses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Seattle

For the Spokane Companies, I like Magnuson (aka the hotel chain), Red Lion Hotel Corp. or KeyTronic.

EDIT: Now saying the above, I'm OK with Darigold. We've been without a true sponsor for so long, I'd like Ed to pony 50 bucks so we could name it E.D. Stadium if Darigold falls through. We need to get this ball rolling. But I was just going with what TT started. Options.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggsCoug
Pretty sure the athletes are not going to be part of the discussion re: naming rights.
Loyal, agree. But it's also about recruiting athletes, in all sports, to come to school. I personally don't think we want to be viewed as a country/rural. I think we want to be viewed as a college town in a beautiful setting.

Loyal, agree. But it's also about recruiting athletes, in all sports, to come to school. I personally don't think we want to be viewed as a country/rural. I think we want to be viewed as a college town in a beautiful setting.
I'm not sure you can separate the two. Our beautiful setting happens to be rural farm country.

2 points.

Hey you brought up the NRA. Oh wait, I guess I did. :oops: And nowhere in my post did I disrespect you. I thought your insight was quite insightful. In fact I asked for it.

As for the NRA, they need to get rid of LaPierre. That guy is an evil person. The organization has lost its way thanks in large part to him. And the polls say that most NRA members agree that the organization doesn't represent their views. But enough of that.

So I put my marketing hat on and did a very rudimentary search... meaning Wiki, just on the companies in the Seattle area. Boatloads of choices. Personally, I like the idea of Tommy Bahama Stadium. I can see the commercials now. Kids at the Dunes, soaking up the sun. People in the stands, slow mo, cheering on the Cougs, in Tommy shirts, hats and glasses.

For the Spokane Companies, I like Magnuson (aka the hotel chain), Red Lion Hotel Corp. or KeyTronic.

EDIT: Now saying the above, I'm OK with Darigold. We've been without a true sponsor for so long, I'd like Ed to pony 50 bucks so we could name it E.D. Stadium if Darigold falls through. We need to get this ball rolling. But I was just going with what TT started. Options.

Red Lion Hotels is headquartered in Denver now. Magnuson Hotels doesn't have the $$$ to pull that off - aside from the fact the Magnuson family is deep into Gonzaga, U of I and Harvard.

Agree with your point here, C95. I know a few NRA members who actually are left of center on most issues, loyal's simpleton-like views aside.
As for Ted, he needs to be pistol whipped...
I’d volunteer to do it if the opportunity were presented...that guy is a c$$t.

It's too bad that Ed Schweitzer (apparently?) isn't a Football fan. And even though he is an alum, I'm not sure if he is really all that fond of WSU either. Although he has give a million dollars to WSU.

You could almost argue that naming would be good PR for the company, although they don't really need it. But the guy has an ego, and it would really put his stamp on the town. Curious as to how much you non-Pullmanites really know about how big and how much money SEL has. Answer: Lots and lots.

https://news.wsu.edu/2018/04/10/inventor-entrepreneur-ed-schweitzer-speaks-wsu/

Your best best for a 'quality' name sponsor was one of the financial institutions - Washington Trust should have been a lay-up with their regional footprint. Same with Banner Bank.

Probably could have scored with one of the credit unions as well. Numerica, STCU, BECU - all viable entities. Hell, the Vandals just scored a naming rights deal with Idaho Central Credit Union on their new basketball arena.

"Somebody" didn't forge personal relationships with the right people in those institutions.

Well, considering Sterling and now BECU have sponsored the Athletic Department, relationships were forged.

Well, considering Sterling and now BECU have sponsored the Athletic Department, relationships were forged.

Sterling went away both as a sponsor and an entity a long time ago.

The Sterling money went to the Univ of Montana for a very nice building named after the Gilkeys .

Sterling went away both as a sponsor and an entity a long time ago.

The Sterling money went to the Univ of Montana for a very nice building named after the Gilkeys .

There are more gracious ways of admitting you are wrong.

I have no problem with Darigold so long as the deal does nothing to Ferdinands.

Now THERE is a WSU institution!
Agree. I was wondering if Darigold does anything with cheese and, if not, might the school be able to tie in with them and get that started? The Ag school has been trying to increase cheese production in the state for some time. Maybe Darigold could start increased production of Cougar gold cheeses or do we want to keep it limited to Ferdinand's as it is currently.? At least, a Darigold connection would increase the marketing of Cougar cheeses.

I don't see any interference with the quality of Ferdinand's products as feasible. The school, faculty, students and alumni would be furious if something like that was proposed. Bad publicity for anyone attempted to do so. Association with Ferdinand's reputation for quality is nothing but value and Darigold's marketing folks would realize that. If not, we will be quick to inform them and loudly.

If Darigold is really connected to WSU then I can imagine a larger and better outlet constructed for Ferdinand's by them than the small one currently in use.

There are more gracious ways of admitting you are wrong.

Sterling is defunct. And you know that. And there’s no money coming from the successor entity. What about that is ‘wrong’?

Or did I miss that Umpqua Stadium announcement?

Last edited:
Sterling is defunct. And you know that. And there’s no money coming from the successor entity. What about that is ‘wrong’?

Or did I miss that Umpqua Stadium announcement?

With relationship with Sterling was forged, regardless of whether or not Sterling merged with Umpqua. The relationship with BECU has been forged. There is a nice red BECU logo on the scoreboard and BECU is all over the radio broadcasts.

With relationship with Sterling was forged, regardless of whether or not Sterling merged with Umpqua. The relationship with BECU has been forged. There is a nice red BECU logo on the scoreboard and BECU is all over the radio broadcasts.

Strangely enough, Umpqua makes pretty good ice cream - and frozen yogurt for us health conscious guys. Darigold does not make ice cream or frozen yogurt..

So, in other words, Moos couldn’t close either of them as stadium sponsors and IMG picked up BECU as an advertiser.

Sterling has been out of WSU’s universe since before Moos arrived. The relationship was gone when Seibly took over.

There is nothing wrong with "country/rural." At all. Ever.

Be who you are. You wanna watch kids turn your school down? Be fake. Be something you're not. Be a poser.

WSU is an agriculture school. There is nothing wrong with hitching WSU's wagon/brand to agricultural businesses. Tractors, growers, dairy, beer/booze/wine, etc.

You know, a thought came to mind with all the talk about Ferdinands and Darigold. Tell me that a Ferdinands/Darigold ice cream bar wouldn't be something to consider. Endzone, East side so the families (aka kids) can get to it easier. Make it crazy visible so it's a part of the marketing of Darigold (AND Ferdinands). Of course when it's 20 degrees and snowing, it probably wouldn't be open but... I can see it. Make it super nice, upscale looking (imagine Starbucks that serves ice cream). They can have shakes, floats, etc. Anything that can have dairy involved. Including Cougar Gold. That might cause issue on hot days and buying it prior to game start. Gross, can't imagine Cougar Gold sitting under a seat for 3 hours... :eek: Anyways...

We can't have a beer garden, we might as well embrace what we CAN do.

There is nothing wrong with "country/rural." At all. Ever.

Be who you are. You wanna watch kids turn your school down? Be fake. Be something you're not. Be a poser.

WSU is an agriculture school. There is nothing wrong with hitching WSU's wagon/brand to agricultural businesses. Tractors, growers, dairy, beer/booze/wine, etc.

People forget the ridiculous amount of money that there is in agriculture. My brother-in-law farms about 4500 acres here in Kansas. He gets thousands of dollars per year in rewards for using the products of the companies that he works with, including free tickets to suites at KSU football games, TV, IPads, and trips to the Caribbean. He owns several million dollars in farm equipment and replaces half million dollar combines every few years just so they have the latest equipment. KSU charges a ridiculous amount for their luxury seating and those farmers snap that stuff up. No shame in taking ag money.

People forget the ridiculous amount of money that there is in agriculture. My brother-in-law farms about 4500 acres here in Kansas. He gets thousands of dollars per year in rewards for using the products of the companies that he works with, including free tickets to suites at KSU football games, TV, IPads, and trips to the Caribbean. He owns several million dollars in farm equipment and replaces half million dollar combines every few years just so they have the latest equipment. KSU charges a ridiculous amount for their luxury seating and those farmers snap that stuff up. No shame in taking ag money.
"Monsanto Field at ADM Stadium" has a nice ring to it...

I imagine a certain frozen yogurt connoisseur in this thread would soy his underpants if that happened.

Hey - you talking 'bout me? I love chemicals. 2,4-D field at Roundup Stadium would suit me just fine.

Tree Top was mentioned previously. How about TT field at Alar Stadium?

So, in other words, Moos couldn’t close either of them as stadium sponsors and IMG picked up BECU as an advertiser.

Sterling has been out of WSU’s universe since before Moos arrived. The relationship was gone when Seibly took over.

Guess you haven’t been to Martin in a while, since there is a nice, shiny new BECU logo on the scoreboard. As was stated above.

Or put differently, when WSU alum and CEO Heidi Stanley was ousted in 2009. A real ugly mess. And Umpqua is based in Oregon. Why would they care about WSU?
Interestingly enough, Umpqua also took over the Bank of Clark County when it went belly up in 2009 (Clark CEO was WSU alum and Regent Michael Worthy).

Or put differently, when WSU alum and CEO Heidi Stanley was ousted in 2009. A real ugly mess. And Umpqua is based in Oregon. Why would they care about WSU?
Interestingly enough, Umpqua also took over the Bank of Clark County when it went belly up in 2009 (Clark CEO was WSU alum and Regent Michael Worthy).

Bingo - at least someone is aware of the dynamics and who the players were. Instead of insisting there was some sort of magical relationship with an entity that doesn't even exist any longer.

And, yes, BECU has some nice advertising in a still unnamed-sponsored stadium, thanks to the good folks at IMG because the former AD couldn't build a bond if his life depended on it.

I guess Moos takes a lot of hits and maybe they are warranted. However,he was the one who got the ball rolling. If the facilities had not been built .would WSU still be in a P5 conference? Perhaps ,in a magical world,the money will follow,a great naming contract and a renewed Tv contract, will happen? One has to deal with the reality of it all.I support the Darigold,purposed contract. WSU has it s own identity and i do not think it is supposed to become a second tiered udub with the wannabe wine and cheese set approving the name and sponsor.Unless it is coug wine and cheeses,hell embrace what one has..Dance with the one who brung you,so to speak.

Your best best for a 'quality' name sponsor was one of the financial institutions - Washington Trust should have been a lay-up with their regional footprint. Same with Banner Bank.

Probably could have scored with one of the credit unions as well. Numerica, STCU, BECU - all viable entities. Hell, the Vandals just scored a naming rights deal with Idaho Central Credit Union on their new basketball arena.

"Somebody" didn't forge personal relationships with the right people in those institutions.

That's because he was too busy lecturing his pre existing donors about stuff they already knew.

Reactions: Observer11
I guess Moos takes a lot of hits and maybe they are warranted. However,he was the one who got the ball rolling. If the facilities had not been built .would WSU still be in a P5 conference? Perhaps ,in a magical world,the money will follow,a great naming contract and a renewed Tv contract, will happen? One has to deal with the reality of it all.I support the Darigold,purposed contract. WSU has it s own identity and i do not think it is supposed to become a second tiered udub with the wannabe wine and cheese set approving the name and sponsor.Unless it is coug wine and cheeses,hell embrace what one has..Dance with the one who brung you,so to speak.

Seems like Moos, like most people, was a mix of good and bad. He did a lot of good things ... helped WSU (and others outside of LA) get a fair deal when revenues were being divvied up at the time of the Pac-12 expansion and the implementation of the TV network, landed Leach, had a vision for getting WSU facilities that were necessary to compete in football, and gave WSU credibility due to his presence and experience. The first three of these were huge.

On the "bad" side, he seems to have been a poor fundraiser, rubbed some people the wrong way, wasn't that great at balancing a budget or being realistic about expenses, was lazy at best with the Kent hire, had a dumb near-automatic rollover model for his coaches in the revenue sports (and maybe others), and depending on who you listen to, didn't give adequate attention to sports other than football.

I think the good outweigh the bad significantly, but I'm a strong believer that we had to get football "fixed" to give WSU a fighting chance to have a successful athletics program, and that good facilities and coaches for football are more important at WSU than just about anywhere else in the country.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
Bingo - at least someone is aware of the dynamics and who the players were. Instead of insisting there was some sort of magical relationship with an entity that doesn't even exist any longer.

And, yes, BECU has some nice advertising in a still unnamed-sponsored stadium, thanks to the good folks at IMG because the former AD couldn't build a bond if his life depended on it.

The stadium is already named. I assume you’ve heard....

You know, a thought came to mind with all the talk about Ferdinands and Darigold. Tell me that a Ferdinands/Darigold ice cream bar wouldn't be something to consider. Endzone, East side so the families (aka kids) can get to it easier. Make it crazy visible so it's a part of the marketing of Darigold (AND Ferdinands). Of course when it's 20 degrees and snowing, it probably wouldn't be open but... I can see it. Make it super nice, upscale looking (imagine Starbucks that serves ice cream). They can have shakes, floats, etc. Anything that can have dairy involved. Including Cougar Gold. That might cause issue on hot days and buying it prior to game start. Gross, can't imagine Cougar Gold sitting under a seat for 3 hours... Anyways...

We can't have a beer garden, we might as well embrace what we CAN do.

I like your idea concerning the dairy bar under the east side. As far as the cheese sitting in the heat, how about including a heat resisting package during those warmer days? And buy your cheese during halftime or after the game. That would work.

Actually, they only LOOK like they are rolling in dough. Grape farmers as a group make money; but wineries as a group don't. Too many wineries in business, many of which were founded by folks with a lot of money who wanted the ego strokes that they would get from owning a winery. That is all well and good...but it doesn't mean that the wineries themselves are profitable. Wineries today are like the old sailboat analogy; a funnel in the water into which you pour money. Substitute the winery for the sailboat and the analogy is still good. The mega-corporations can make it work, but it is financially hard for 80% of the wineries anywhere...pick your state.

cr8zy, I hear what you are saying and it is a good point about the "boutique" wineries owned by dentists, doctors, rich lawyers and the like who have/had little idea what they were doing. I saw a number of wineries in the Yakima Valley go out of business during the late 80s and the early 9os. Stroking an already enlarged ego just got a bit too expensive for some people. That said, it could still be done. Several years ago the Kentucky Derby's primary sponsor was 14 Hands Winery in the Prosser area. The Kentucky Derby! Couldn't have come cheap and 14 Hands is not the largest winery in the state by any means. If one of the wineries could sponsor the Kentucky Derby then I see no reason why the wineries as a group could not support WSU, which provides them with top notch research and employees. The wineries in the Red Mountain AVA and the Walla Walla region are prosperous and making more money than you can shake a stick at. It is not easy to find a mediocre wine in those appellations, especially regarding reds. The vintners in Washington state could afford it- trust me- and if there is such a thing as a state grape growers association, they could and should chip in too. Darigold stadium and Washington Vintners' Field sounds fine to me.

Or if nobody wants to pay for the field naming rights then we can just take up a collection from the board's posters. Might not be much but the school would at least be getting something. Internet Tough Guys Field does it for me too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT