ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon Taggert s express lurches out of the gate

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Three Oregon players were hospitalized after an early season workout. The three players remain hospitalized. Coach Taggert departed on a recruiting trip after the players were admitted Perhaps papa joe will retweet what taggert says about the situation?

Reactions: earldacoug
Giving your players rhabdo is about as idiotic as you can get. Does this guy know wtf he is doing? Is he a trainer? Does he have a training background? Truly, this should never happen in a football scenario; they type of exertion the football player needs to train for does not benefit from the type of muscular breakdown that causes rhabdo.

Reactions: earldacoug
Giving your players rhabdo is about as idiotic as you can get. Does this guy know wtf he is doing? Is he a trainer? Does he have a training background? Truly, this should never happen in a football scenario; they type of exertion the football player needs to train for does not benefit from the type of muscular breakdown that causes rhabdo.

It's what happens when your players are out of shape. Oregon had like six guys limp off the field during our game. Obvious strength and conditioning issues.

It's what happens when your players are out of shape. Oregon had like six guys limp off the field during our game. Obvious strength and conditioning issues.

It's not about being out of shape; that's cardiovascular. Rhabdo is due to excessive muscular exertion; doing up-downs or push ups past exhaustion, then past that point again. Not only do you not make gains that way, it's dangerous as is evidenced by this.

It's not about being out of shape; that's cardiovascular. Rhabdo is due to excessive muscular exertion; doing up-downs or push ups past exhaustion, then past that point again. Not only do you not make gains that way, it's dangerous as is evidenced by this.

Do you actually doubt that Oregon had strength and conditioning issues?

Do you actually doubt that Oregon had strength and conditioning issues?
It's a strawman. Virtually all the programs across America train for strength and conditioning without giving their kids rhabdo.

What you aren't getting is that even elite athletes can and do get rhabdo because they go way past their physical limits. In fact it's highly prevalent (when compared to the general population) in the crossfit community.

Reactions: Orecoug
It's a strawman. Virtually all the programs across America train for strength and conditioning without giving their kids rhabdo.

What you aren't getting is that even elite athletes can and do get rhabdo because they go way past their physical limits. In fact it's highly prevalent (when compared to the general population) in the crossfit community.

So you think that maybe, just maybe, Oregon football players' limits had dropped to a position below their counterparts in the Pac-12?

I think it is likely that they simply way over worked the guys after the post season layoff, trying to "change the culture"
That is the way I see it too. A new coach trying to put his stamp on the program early and firmly. Gibbons mentioned S&C issues permeating the team and Taggart reasonably set out to address that problem first. A good idea but obviously a bit out of control and overdone by the S&C staff while Taggart was out of town recruiting. An embarrassment to the Ducks but not a long term issue as I see it. I have little doubt that the team doctor has discussed this with the S&C staff in Eugene.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
The strength coach was suspended for one month. Taggert says he takes"full responsibility "for the players condition , who are still hospitalized on Tuesday. This is a definite black eye for the program

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
I think they're thinking. . . . Oregon needs to toughen up..... Goodness sakes WSU needed that when Leach arrived! For sure !

Six police cruisers responded? Sounds like more went down than a simple DUI arrest. Also noted: Lane Kiffin's former brother-in-law. Insert jokes here.

Taggart is raising the bar regarding physicality as unfortunately demonstrated in the hospitalization of three athletes following a workout. He may, with the concurrence of the AD, be doing the same with off-field misbehavior as this quick termination illustrates. The day of "We smoked it all." may be coming to an end in Eugene.

Six police cruisers responded? Sounds like more went down than a simple DUI arrest. Also noted: Lane Kiffin's former brother-in-law. Insert jokes here.

Taggart is raising the bar regarding physicality as unfortunately demonstrated in the hospitalization of three athletes following a workout. He may, with the concurrence of the AD, be doing the same with off-field misbehavior as this quick termination illustrates. The day of "We smoked it all." may be coming to an end in Eugene.
I doubt it, this is a pure PR move on the heels of the strength coach fiasco

Believe me the ducks are a "win at ant cost" outfit. These type of issues they have to react to, however all they care about is winning.

Reactions: yana080
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT