ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon trying to steal Mastro

oh ffs.

Not happy with and don't fully understand Manning, but it's LA. Some people are city people.

Coach Joe bolting - a pay raise, but lateral move. Eugene is no mecca, though.

Same applies to Mastro - I understand getting paid, but Eugene?

also, doesn't anyone believe in seeing anything through anymore? We're in a better position to get a conf champ sooner than Oregon, imho.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Would suck, I would have liked him to be an option should Leach leave. Either as full OC, or possible HC. Seems to make impressions everywhere, and I think our offense under his guidance would go to the next level.

I don't get the sense that the fan base is totally invested in Cristobal. I think he was hire because they didn't have the time or energy to start new.

Plus they had to keep recruiting plugging along.

This staff will get a chance, but I could honestly see them all on the street in another year or 2. Oregon's window of dominance has passed, IMO, but their fan base will be in constant search of better results and the coaches will be first to go.

He has been study recruiter for Leach. He has been beyond loyal. That said, I do not know how much money is left, he needs to be given more money. He is one of the lower paid assistants. I do not know what he promised Borghi, but he is a man of his word. It shows just how good Leach is in picking coaches.

So far, Leach has done a great job upgrading departed coaches. I was hoping to hear about a new hire to replace Manning. I do not know who Leach would get at this late a date to replace Mastro. We are currently in a recruiting war to get Washington (I think that is his name). He is an uncommitted back that dominated the Under Armour Bowl. Maybe that is why Oregon is going after him. Let pray that Mastro stay and Leach takes care of him the best he can.

oh ffs.

Not happy with and don't fully understand Manning, but it's LA. Some people are city people.

Coach Joe bolting - a pay raise, but lateral move. Eugene is no mecca, though.

Same applies to Mastro - I understand getting paid, but Eugene?

also, doesn't anyone believe in seeing anything through anymore? We're in a better position to get a conf champ sooner than Oregon, imho.

Bleed, why do you think we are in a better position now? Both have inexperienced QB's, but both have shown good things. We have to replace our Dline, and currently not sure we have the bodies.

I do agree their coach could be fired in two years and the money they gained would soon be lost if they have to take a step backward and coach say Wyoming which doesn't pay as much.

Here is what FootballScoop.com wrote:

Oregon: Source tells FootballScoop Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal is making a strong run at Washington State running backs coach Jim Mastro. Mastro, considered one of the creators of the Pistol offense at Nevada where he spent 11 seasons, coached one year at UCLA before Mike Leach hired him when he arrived at Washington State. Mastro was selected by former winners as the 2010 FootballScoop Running Backs Coach of the Year and has been a finalist multiple times since.

Bleed, why do you think we are in a better position now? Both have inexperienced QB's, but both have shown good things. We have to replace our Dline, and currently not sure we have the bodies.

I do agree their coach could be fired in two years and the money they gained would soon be lost if they have to take a step backward and coach say Wyoming which doesn't pay as much.
We just signed our head coach to a long term, big $$ deal. He's been winning and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to win.

Oregon is a program in flux, the coaching carousel will set back their recruiting to a degree, they will be installing new O and D systems.

I'll take uncertainty in our player personnel over uncertainty in coaching/program/ system anytime.

The good coaches will be offered by other programs. There are a couple of coug coaches whom are "untouchables" because programs will not offer them .I hope Maestro does not go to Oregon. But money talks and Oregon has a lot of bucks.

We just signed our head coach to a long term, big $$ deal. He's been winning and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to win.

Oregon is a program in flux, the coaching carousel will set back their recruiting to a degree, they will be installing new O and D systems.

I'll take uncertainty in our player personnel over uncertainty in coaching/program/ system anytime.
They panicked with the hire of Cristobal. It doesn't appear he was ready to hire a staff and is throwing money at the problem. If he works out good for Oregon but he looks maybe as good a hire as Helfrich. Probably ends up worse.

Oregon's starting to resemble the UW after Don James quit. Lazy hires, too much turnover, throwing money at their problems instead of making good decisions. I may just want to see them flushing down the drain but there seems to be some similarities post Chip.

Last edited:
Just a negotiating point for Leach to get Masto some more money. They’ve been besties since back in the day. Unless there’s been some falling out, Masto strikes me as absolutely loyal.

Just a negotiating point for Leach to get Masto some more money. They’ve been besties since back in the day. Unless there’s been some falling out, Masto strikes me as absolutely loyal.
I hope so. He's really the only member of Leach's offensive staff I'd really hate to lose.

Phil Knight bought Whoregon some conference titles and a natty appearance, so it stands to reason he'll continue throwing cash at his pet club. I hate that frucker.

Phil Knight is 80 years old. His energy for this should peter out..... won’t be too much longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT