ADVERTISEMENT

Oregonian's Ken Goe predicts Leach will move on

Just realized that since Mike Leach has been in Pullman, Oregon has had four (yes, 4) head coaches...Kelly, Helfrich, Taggert & Cristobal. And OSU has had three; Riley, Anderson and Smith. No wonder Goe thinks Leach will leave...he thinks that sort of turnstile is normal. Of course, that is pretty much just wishful thinking on his part, but it does put his expectations in context.

Assuming that CML retires in Pullman at some point in the next 10-15 years, there will probably have been another 2-3 coaches at each Oregon school by that time.

In the comment section of the original article, one reader takes a swipe at Leach, calling him a "lousy human being". When a second reader challenges that assertion, Goe jumps in with yet another cheap shot. Here's the exchange:

(From Pete)
• 18 hours ago
As soon as USC made Helton their permanent HC his days were numbered. He's served USC well during some tumultuous times (e.g., Kiffin, Sarkisian). I don't think he'll survive this. USC pays for, and expects in exchange, wins. Lots of wins.

As far as Leach, I would love to see him move on from the PAC-12. He may be a decent coach, but he's a lousy human being.

(From LaQunita Duck)
• 17 hours ago
Reply to @Pete: How is Leach "a lousy human being"? Because one former player said so? Leach's players at Wazzu have absolutely loved the guy.

• 

(From KEN GOE)
• 16 hours ago
Reply to @LaQuintaDuck: 1 former WSU player sued him last spring.

(From GIOn)
• 16 hours ago
Reply to @Ken Goe | The Oregonian/OregonLive: Fair point. That said, the suit was over being booted from the team due to a shoplifting arrest, with Leach noting other rules had been broken. It's not like he alleged some kind of misconduct by Leach or that he wasn't a likeable guy; he was pissed off about being booted from the team. One guy with sour grapes vs. hundreds who haven't had the same view.

(From LaQuinta Duck)
• 10 hours ago
Reply to @Ken Goe | The Oregonian/OregonLive: One? That changes everything? I stand by what I posted: the players love Leach.

How can you have people working for your paper with such irrational bias?

I understand being a homer for the in state/local teams. The ridiculous propaganda campaign with an agenda of spreading lies to hurt another program is asinine.

How do you know he wasn't?

Uh, because he was on the field with CML and not in the stands? Yeah I know, I'm sure he was up there all game meeting Cougs.

Hey I know I pick on Chun a lot, because it still annoys me that we paid him more than Moos and its all guaranteed, without a whiff of an incentive to be found. And to date I have seen absolutely zero out of him that would make me think he was some great choice. And without dredging up certain events in Athletics since his hiring, we all have seen a couple-three hiccups. And I didn't keep the cheesy poster with my name on it that Athletics sent me as a thank you in the bubble envelope. Come to think of it, I have not seen anything worth mentioning from them in the last year since I rejoined the CAF. I will never forget many years ago when I was out in the yard and the former Mrs. Loyal :oops: calls out "Reuben Mayes is on the phone". I was a $100 donor and he was calling to ask me to renew.

When he does something significant I will take back all my little digs and doubts. Or perhaps I should say if.

What jobs are open now or could open soon that are better???

Why go down the ladder?

Why make a lateral move?

Why go to either of those scenarios only to start over again with a rebuild..... just as things are getting good at WSU???

If a blue blooded program does open, will he be a fit??? Will they be ok with him showing up to the office at 11am??? There are things you can do at WSU that will not fly in a lotttttt of other places.

If you wanna coach in the big game, what path is similar to the Rose Bowl and the playoff???
I agree, most of the blue blood programs probably aren't interested in the air raid and even if he did get hired at a bigtime program I think the boosters would be restless at the first stumble. I also tend to think that last years tennessee thing was over blown. as far as I know all Leach had was lunch with their AD, the rest of the story seemed to me to be a lot of supposition.
Finally I feel that some of this Leach leaving is due to the fact that WSU is seen as a starting point for coaches rather than a destination, which is the rationale I heard on Portland sports radio yesterday basically saying he's done all he can at WSU so he will leave

I agree, most of the blue blood programs probably aren't interested in the air raid and even if he did get hired at a bigtime program I think the boosters would be restless at the first stumble. I also tend to think that last years tennessee thing was over blown. as far as I know all Leach had was lunch with their AD, the rest of the story seemed to me to be a lot of supposition.
Finally I feel that some of this Leach leaving is due to the fact that WSU is seen as a starting point for coaches rather than a destination, which is the rationale I heard on Portland sports radio yesterday basically saying he's done all he can at WSU so he will leave

Agree completely. I think CML himself said that Tennessee was talking "crazy money". I believe it was reported as $7 million? Which would more than double his salary at the time and put him in what - the top 5 nationally? What if he did say "sure - you send me a written offer when you get back and I'll sign". So what? Obviously he didn't sign anything.

At his first press conference CML said "I believe we can win here, and win big". Well we are on the cusp of winning big, and there is nothing to indicate that it won't continue next year and thereafter. He is rich and getting richer. He is a god in these parts, and firmly on the national radar to stay. Would you throw all that away for another million and a start over situation? Look at RichRod. Yeah he made some coin, but he is probably through as a coach, with no legacy and people who don't like him at his last 3 stops. Except his GF at Arizona. CML is adored at his only 2 head coaching stops. He's not going anywhere.

Agree completely. I think CML himself said that Tennessee was talking "crazy money". I believe it was reported as $7 million? Which would more than double his salary at the time and put him in what - the top 5 nationally? What if he did say "sure - you send me a written offer when you get back and I'll sign". So what? Obviously he didn't sign anything.

At his first press conference CML said "I believe we can win here, and win big". Well we are on the cusp of winning big, and there is nothing to indicate that it won't continue next year and thereafter. He is rich and getting richer. He is a god in these parts, and firmly on the national radar to stay. Would you throw all that away for another million and a start over situation? Look at RichRod. Yeah he made some coin, but he is probably through as a coach, with no legacy and people who don't like him at his last 3 stops. Except his GF at Arizona. CML is adored at his only 2 head coaching stops. He's not going anywhere.
Plus, Washington is a state with no income tax.

Some Buff fan on twitter was trying to argue that Leach would bolt to CU. I mean, maybe he will, but at this point, is CU anything more than a lateral move? They haven't had any tradition of winning in almost 2 decades, they're not some recruiting juggernaut and they weren't even paying Macintyre more than Leach to begin with.

Yea, maybe Leach leaves, but I doubt it's to a place like CU, for a $500K raise and no clearly easier path to make the CFP.

Some Buff fan on twitter was trying to argue that Leach would bolt to CU. I mean, maybe he will, but at this point, is CU anything more than a lateral move? They haven't had any tradition of winning in almost 2 decades, they're not some recruiting juggernaut and they weren't even paying Macintyre more than Leach to begin with.

Yea, maybe Leach leaves, but I doubt it's to a place like CU, for a $500K raise and no clearly easier path to make the CFP.
It would take a large raise to make up the difference in cost of living between P-town and Boulder; the one site I looked at, overall, Pullman is 81% cheaper, and housing costs 164% cheaper than Boulder.

Oregon beat writers are tired of getting their asses handed to them by little ol WSU. They don't think it's right. They are too 'blue blood' to be had by the Cougs. They look down on us, so of course dim-wit Goe writes this slop..... I'm still laughing at them.... suck it Nike.

Reactions: earldacoug

When I was driving through Oregon on my way back home after a vacation in 1994, I stopped right before I crossed into Washington to get some gas. I started to fill up my car and the attendant came out like my car was on fire yelling at me that I had to stop because I was breaking the law. I was blown away at the concept of letting another person fill up my car and that I wasn't allowed to do it.

When I was driving through Oregon on my way back home after a vacation in 1994, I stopped right before I crossed into Washington to get some gas. I started to fill up my car and the attendant came out like my car was on fire yelling at me that I had to stop because I was breaking the law. I was blown away at the concept of letting another person fill up my car and that I wasn't allowed to do it.
If ever there were an epitome of nanny state, it would be Oregon.

Reactions: earldacoug
How can you have people working for your paper with such irrational bias?

I understand being a homer for the in state/local teams. The ridiculous propaganda campaign with an agenda of spreading lies to hurt another program is asinine.

Well the Spokesman does employ John Blanchette. Who goes out of his way to hurt WSU. Except he can't right now because there are no negatives to report.

Stupid Buff fan must have heard CML likes their mascot and figured it was a done deal. Plus Boulder is closer to Cody, WYO than Pullman is. I think anyway.

why should we pump our own gas?

So you don’t have to wait for the station dip$#!t to do it and you don’t have the station dip$#!t spilling gas on the side of your car or truck. This is My experience the last 2 summers in Sun River. As an FYI in the very small towns in eastern Oregon you can pump your own gas.

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
So you don’t have to wait for the station dip$#!t to do it and you don’t have the station dip$#!t spilling gas on the side of your car or truck. This is My experience the last 2 summers in Sun River. As an FYI in the very small towns in eastern Oregon you can pump your own gas.
Don't forget the topping-off of the tank, which is bad for fuel systems, but hey let's get to a nice round number...

When I drive through to California, I always stop in Vancouver to fill up. I hate when forced to let someone else pump my gas. Weird, outdated law.

I haven't been through Oregon in almost 15 years and it kills me that this 1950s law still exists
And that law will exist forever in Oregon. Every time the possibility of self-serve gets brought up, the old arguments about "consumer safety" are used. I guess Oregon & New Jersey are the only states that care about "consumer safety"....they know what's best for the public.

Earl is right....the law did change in Oregon to allow self-serve in very remote places east of the Cascades. That's as close as OR will ever get to joining the rest of the country.

I actually live in a divided household now after retiring/relocating to the Midwest. I love self-serve while my wife detests it and misses the friendly attendant in Oregon filling 'er up. She's convinced I'll feel the same once the temperature drops below zero this winter.

Glad Cougar

And then there are those of us who remember when "filling stations" had attendants who cleaned your windshields and checked your oil as well as pumped your gas..
Not a bad deal, really.... :)

It was great back in the day, they were actually service stations that provided good service. Not the case anymore.

Reactions: 79COUG
And then there are those of us who remember when "filling stations" had attendants who cleaned your windshields and checked your oil as well as pumped your gas..
Not a bad deal, really.... :)
It was great back in the day, they were actually service stations that provided good service. Not the case anymore.

Gawd you guys are old.

And how do these threads morph into unrecognizable creations? We go from CML moving on to a trip down memory gas station lane......o_O

And I do remember my first encounter with an Oregon gas station in Milton-Freewater. Man that attendant was pissed at me. And I'm like - Get the F away from my car. Actually, I think it was my motorcycle. Talk about memory lane........

Gawd you guys are old.

And how do these threads morph into unrecognizable creations? We go from CML moving on to a trip down memory gas station lane......o_O

And I do remember my first encounter with an Oregon gas station in Milton-Freewater. Man that attendant was pissed at me. And I'm like - Get the F away from my car. Actually, I think it was my motorcycle. Talk about memory lane........
....and when my buddy and I drove to Pullman our senior year in HS to visit the campus, gas cost 39¢ a gallon. I also remember milk being delivered at home in a glass bottle....the NBC peacock was proudly telling us that the following show was being brought to us "...in living color"...

Gawd, we are old and I am getting off topic....again.

Glad Cougar

Gawd you guys are old.

Wouldn't have been your motorcycle. You can pump your own gas on a bike.

A few years back when I was still living in Boise there was still a full service gas station my EX wife would go to. Used to piss me off because the price per gallon was about 25 cents more. She said she liked it because "I don't get that yukky gas smell on my hands".
Like I said...my EX wife...

Reactions: Glad Cougar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT