ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Game thread and rankings?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Anybody want a game thread? Tipoff at 7.

On rankings - are you aware that currently the Pac-12 has one team ranked, Arizona, and the Mtn West has 3? granted they are all in the 20's but still. And our "new" BB conference the WCC? -0-.

WSU has 6 votes in the AP poll. No one else has any.

On rankings - are you aware that currently the Pac-12 has one team ranked, Arizona, and the Mtn West has 3? granted they are all in the 20's but still. And our "new" BB conference the WCC? -0-.

Why Cable must not die. In 13 minutes I can check in on the game, as well as flick back and forth between Two and a Half Men and My Cousin Vinny.

WSU will only have to beat out St Mary, Santa Clara, and finish in top 3 to make NCAA.

Gonzaga, WSU, St Mary, Santa Clara, Ore St, are the 5 best teams in WCC OVERALL, in GENERAL.

Sure in any given season WSU could fail to finish top 2,3,4,5 in WCC, but OVERALL, they are top 5.

The NCAA tourny would probably take 2 at worst, 3 at average, 4 at best, from WCC.

Based on that, WSU would probably have at least 50/50 chance to make NCAA in WCC, each season, 2 out of 5 seasons at worst.

Compare that to the PAC 12, this season's, or past PAC.

One thing for certain WSU wouldn't go 15 years without making NCAA tourny in WCC.

At ultimate extreme worst, WSU might go 4,5,6 seasons without making NCAA in WCC.

Now compare that to MWC.

WSU would have to worry about beating out BSU, Colorado St, Utah St, UNLV, Airforce, New Mexico St, New Mexico, Ore St, Hawaii, which would be the BEST teams in MWC, for one of 3,4,5 NCAA spots.

In that situation WSU would go 8 to 17 to 33 years before going to the next NCAA.

That's one of the reasons why the WCC is better then the MWC in at least the short term, for WSU men's bball, going forward.

Last edited:
Except for Wells they sleep walked through the first half. Hope they wake up in the second. Why is Jones on the bench.

Reactions: mikalalas
3,4,5 EFFIN UNFORCED TURNOVERS.

BAD SHOOTING EXCEPT BY WELLS.

Good defense.

Great rebounding.

Awesome FORCING OSU turnovers.

STILL SHOULD BE WSU 7 to 10 to 13 points lead, IF the BAD shooting didn't happen, AND OR without the WSU turnovers.

Cougs playing sloppy. Although, Wells has been going off this game. 6 for 6 from three.

Except for Wells they sleep walked through the first half. Hope they wake up in the second. Why is Jones on the bench.
Total sloppy shit inside. How many f-ing turnovers and missed shots do we have within 5 feet of the bucket? Can't believe we are ahead.....

Luckily my dog is a girl so I can't suck dog dicks like every Coug other than Wells.....

Every time is appears that the Cougs are going to take over the game, they miss a shot or there is a foul.

Don't know what to say about this one. Team strong enough to win despite a sluggish performance.
Any win on the road is a good win. This team can beat you in multiple ways. Nothing to be disappointed about. The entire team had an off night except wells and Jak and still grinded out a W.

Reactions: CougEd
Don't know what to say about this one. Team strong enough to win despite a sluggish performance.
Take the win. They all cannot be pretty. Sunday the Super Bowl will have the 49ers playing for the championship despite two subpar performances in the playoffs.

Any win on the road is a good win. This team can beat you in multiple ways. Nothing to be disappointed about. The entire team had an off night except wells and Jak and still grinded out a W.
Jones had an off night and still worked hard enough to have 12 points and 7 boards. This team is really easy to like.

Shit! When I was in my 20's I had a wisdom tooth taken out. Thank Gawd only one. It was impacted, and they had to put me out and attack it with a hammer and chisel. About like watching this game. Could we have possibly been any shittier near the basket? We just kept forcing it in there, like that chisel. At least my tooth came out - oh wait, like every WSU shot.

At least with my wisdom tooth I got Demerol. I'm not a big pill fan but that stuff was good. Went to a Coug FB game that weekend, sat in the endzone on a sunny day with a couple of beers and Demerol's in me. Aaahhh. I have no recollection of who we played or whether we won.

So Go Cougs! Way to go Wells, and good job Jaki late.

Good teams find a way to win, even when they play semi bad, and even if refs against them, etc.

That said good teams don't ALWAYS win when they play bad. Sometimes they lose.

Freethrow shooting, turnovers, bad team shooting, boneheaded decisions that if don't happen, WSU probably goes up 7, instead of being knocked back down to 2,3 point lead, bad officiating, etc, made the game harder then it had to be, and almost a loss.

WSU did play AWESOME defense, FORCED LOTS of OSU turnovers.

WSU had AWESOME rebounding.

But as ugly as it was, and as close to a loss it almost was, a win is a win, and I'll take it.

WSU looked past OSU to Oregon.

But hey, WSU is playing with HOUSE MONEY, and can lose a expected win game, as long as it's not Cal, etc

WOW!

Ok we all know that Wells had a awesome game, scored about 24,25, and shot 6-8 from 3.

And most of us knew he could play the 3, 4, 2 spots.

And most of know he is athletic, has potential

But I didn't know;

That he would have jump out of gym, NBA like freakish athleticism.

That he can rim protect, block shots, rebound awesomely, play good lateral, vertical, defense, draw charges, consistently guard SG, 2,3,4's well.

That he can dribble as well as Allen Iverson, that he can BREAK ANKLES like how Iverson , schooled Jordan.

That the style of his talents, abilities, is like crossing Iverson, Jordan, Kobe, Malik Sealy, Sean Elliot, LeBron James, Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Dominique Wilkins, etc, into 1 combined composite player.

That he can almost at will, slither, contort, twist, slash, penetrate, drive, beat off dribble, drive, CREATE OWN SHOT, score inside, finish at rim, around, under, over, etc, people, players, defenders.

That he can post up inside at the high post.

That he can hit turn around, fade aways, midrange jumpers, tear droppers, runners, almost score at will sometimes, all in addition to how awesomely he shoots 3's.

He is a mismatch for 2's and is a better 2, then most 2's SG's

And he is a better 3 then most 3's, and he is a better 4 then most 4's.

He TOTALLY SCHOOLED, had 3 Iverson vs Jordan, breaking ankles, to score moments in the game.

And he is a decent passer, getting assist, and takes care of, doesn't turn ball over that often, so if all of WSU's PG's were injured, he could run the offense either as PG, or out of the high post, and because of Jones, Rice, Jaki, he could run the Chicago triangle offense.

And because of Wells, Rice, Jones, and Jaki, which has to be one of the better foursomes in bball, how do you stop all 4? One of the 4 will probably TORCH the opposing defense at some point in game.

I thought he Wells would score about 8,9,10 ppg, in about 20 to 30 minutes per game.as a 7,8 man, bench player, for instant 3 point offense.

I thought that about 83% of his points would come from 3.

And when he struggled, I didn't think he would be good, let alone this good, etc.

Now I am NOT saying he is a NBA player or prospect, BUT IF IF IF he gets even better next season, and if he stays, etc, then he has the POTENTIAL to be a FUTURE NBA PROSPECT, which potential, I didn't see earlier, and only see now IF IF IF he continues to improve, and improves enough.

But he does have the Potential. Whether.he realizes that potential or not, that remains.to be seen, but I think he has about a 59% chance to do so.

What a AWESOME player.

Been a long time since WSU has had this kind of player.

I think that Guy Williams would be the last player WSU had that was like this, or close to like this.

Wells is about 6-7.5 to about 6-8 to about 6-8.5, and has NBA frame, and is the PROTO HYBRID 2,3,4

Guy Williams 6-8 to 6-8.5 to 6-9.

WOW!

Ok we all know that Wells had a awesome game, scored about 24,25, and shot 6-8 from 3.

And most of us knew he could play the 3, 4, 2 spots.

And most of know he is athletic, has potential

But I didn't know;

That he would have jump out of gym, NBA like freakish athleticism.

That he can rim protect, block shots, rebound awesomely, play good lateral, vertical, defense, draw charges, consistently guard SG, 2,3,4's well.

That he can dribble as well as Allen Iverson, that he can BREAK ANKLES like how Iverson , schooled Jordan.

That the style of his talents, abilities, is like crossing Iverson, Jordan, Kobe, Malik Sealy, Sean Elliot, LeBron James, Reggie Miller, Glen Rice, Dominique Wilkins, etc, into 1 combined composite player.

That he can almost at will, slither, contort, twist, slash, penetrate, drive, beat off dribble, drive, CREATE OWN SHOT, score inside, finish at rim, around, under, over, etc, people, players, defenders.

That he can post up inside at the high post.

That he can hit turn around, fade aways, midrange jumpers, tear droppers, runners, almost score at will sometimes, all in addition to how awesomely he shoots 3's.

He is a mismatch for 2's and is a better 2, then most 2's SG's

And he is a better 3 then most 3's, and he is a better 4 then most 4's.

He TOTALLY SCHOOLED, had 3 Iverson vs Jordan, breaking ankles, to score moments in the game.

And he is a decent passer, getting assist, and takes care of, doesn't turn ball over that often, so if all of WSU's PG's were injured, he could run the offense either as PG, or out of the high post, and because of Jones, Rice, Jaki, he could run the Chicago triangle offense.

And because of Wells, Rice, Jones, and Jaki, which has to be one of the better foursomes in bball, how do you stop all 4? One of the 4 will probably TORCH the opposing defense at some point in game.

I thought he Wells would score about 8,9,10 ppg, in about 20 to 30 minutes per game.as a 7,8 man, bench player, for instant 3 point offense.

I thought that about 83% of his points would come from 3.

And when he struggled, I didn't think he would be good, let alone this good, etc.

Now I am NOT saying he is a NBA player or prospect, BUT IF IF IF he gets even better next season, and if he stays, etc, then he has the POTENTIAL to be a FUTURE NBA PROSPECT, which potential, I didn't see earlier, and only see now IF IF IF he continues to improve, and improves enough.

But he does have the Potential. Whether.he realizes that potential or not, that remains.to be seen, but I think he has about a 59% chance to do so.

What a AWESOME player.

Been a long time since WSU has had this kind of player.

I think that Guy Williams would be the last player WSU had that was like this, or close to like this.

Wells is about 6-7.5 to about 6-8 to about 6-8.5, and has NBA frame, and is the PROTO HYBRID 2,3,4

Guy Williams 6-8 to 6-8.5 to 6-9.

Wells is EVERYTHING or ALMOST everything we HOPED that Rodman would be.

Rodman while he played awesome defense, drew charges, blocked a semi rare block, rebounded awesomely, shot 3's well, but not as good as Wells, ok passer, he wasn't the scorer, dribbler, driver, create own shotter, wasn't as aggressive, assertive, etc, as Wells.

Hopefully he is unlike Rodman in not leaving an or not leaving in the method, way Rodman left

Rodman while he played awesome defense, drew charges, blocked a semi rare block, rebounded awesomely, shot 3's well, but not as good as Wells, ok passer, he wasn't the scorer, dribbler, driver, create own shotter, wasn't as aggressive, assertive, etc, as Wells.

Hopefully he is unlike Rodman in not leaving an or not leaving in the method, way Rodman left
Agreed on everything you said about Wells. Hot hand last night, and didn't see that coming. It wasn't until way into the second half until he missed his first shot. Guy was good, but I don't remember him having those numbers on any single game.

I think it's an absolute no-brainer that he will be offered BIG money to play somewhere else next year. . hate to be a downer, but highly unlikely he is a Coug next year.. sure hope I'm wrong, cause he is a really good player.

Agreed on everything you said about Wells. Hot hand last night, and didn't see that coming. It wasn't until way into the second half until he missed his first shot. Guy was good, but I don't remember him having those numbers on any single game.
It’s pretty cool to see all these kids peaking at the right time. Can you imagine if Rice and some of the other guys had their typical games last night? Jaki didn’t have his stroke at the beginning of the year either. Sloppy/ugly game last night, but this team is really dangerous. Sort of playing with house money in Eugene on Saturday too I think most figured 2 out of 3 in this road trip would be a success.

Couple of observations and questions after watching the rest of that game. I know basketball has a way of making you feel like your team is getting the raw end because of all of the whistles and fouls there are in the game. But it seems like 3 games in a row we have absolutely gotten hosed. Last night they were calling two different games in the paint, there was the crazy flagrant foul on rice, the nonexistent double dribble on Yaki then the ball they called off the Cougs OB that was overturned cuz no Coug was close to touching the ball. Is it just me or has the officiating been ridiculously one sided since CU (and that 5 minute stretch was the worst I’ve ever seen so not much compared to that).

Also, Kyle needs to fix the end of half end of game burning clock situations. At least give yourself a chance at getting fouled and throw one at the hoop. It killed us against cal and is gonna get us again against better teams. Both before half and end of game last night we wasted possessions and didn’t even get close to getting a shot off.

It’s pretty cool to see all these kids peaking at the right time. Can you imagine if Rice and some of the other guys had their typical games last night? Jaki didn’t have his stroke at the beginning of the year either. Sloppy/ugly game last night, but this team is really dangerous. Sort of playing with house money in Eugene on Saturday too I think most figured 2 out of 3 in this road trip would be a success.
We "needed" 2 out of 3 in this road stretch. Great job there. Get greedy and get the road sweep to get all 3!

Big win against the Beavs, Coug are tied for the best road record in the conference at 4-3. I guess not having much of a home court advantage in Pullman, due to the sparse crowds, might actually help them on the road.

We "needed" 2 out of 3 in this road stretch. Great job there. Get greedy and get the road sweep to get all 3!
We get the Ducks and we could realistically have a 20 win ranked team by the end of next weekend. Bonkers.

Couple of observations and questions after watching the rest of that game. I know basketball has a way of making you feel like your team is getting the raw end because of all of the whistles and fouls there are in the game. But it seems like 3 games in a row we have absolutely gotten hosed. Last night they were calling two different games in the paint, there was the crazy flagrant foul on rice, the nonexistent double dribble on Yaki then the ball they called off the Cougs OB that was overturned cuz no Coug was close to touching the ball. Is it just me or has the officiating been ridiculously one sided since CU (and that 5 minute stretch was the worst I’ve ever seen so not much compared to that).

Also, Kyle needs to fix the end of half end of game burning clock situations. At least give yourself a chance at getting fouled and throw one at the hoop. It killed us against cal and is gonna get us again against better teams. Both before half and end of game last night we wasted possessions and didn’t even get close to getting a shot off.

I understand, get that normally, WSU wants to burn clock AND get a shot, and that last night's game seemed like one of those games, times.

But that's just how it seemed.

WSU had a 6-9 point lead, and if WSU burned every last second and got either a shot or no shot and a shot clock violation, Ore St was going to get the ball with 27, TWENTY SEVEN SECONDS LEFT DOWN 6 TO 9.

UNLESS WSU turned ball over in 1 sec, miss ALL freethrows, and then Ore St makes ALL their 2 point, 3 point shots in addition to all that, Ore St is, was DEAD at that point.

ALL WSU had to do at that point is NOT TURN BALL OVER QUICKLY, hold onto ball, wait, force OSU to foul, make at least half or more of freethrows, and WSU wins.

Yeah sure stylistically it would have been NICE for WSU to get a shot off with a chance to go up 2 more points, BUT EVEN THE RADIO ANNOUNCERS said that Smith did the RIGHT THING in BURNING the clock down to 27 seconds left, using the whole shot clock, and that many teams, coaches wouldn't bother with a shot, as long as had a big enough lead with only 27 seconds left.

Now if there was going to be 45 seconds to a minute left, after using whole shot clock, instead of 27, I'm sure Smith, team would have gotten a shot off. But with ONLY 27 seconds that was going to be left, A shot was UNNECESSARY. The ONLY NECESSARY thing was to BURN the clock down to 27 seconds, using all of the shot clock, and purposely getting a shot clock violation, and WSU, Smith did that.

Big win against the Beavs, Coug are tied for the best road record in the conference at 4-3. I guess not having much of a home court advantage in Pullman, due to the sparse crowds, might actually help them on the road.

11-1 at home sounds like a awesome home court advantage to me

We get the Ducks and we could realistically have a 20 win ranked team by the end of next weekend. Bonkers.

If WSU sweeps the 3 game road trip by beating the ducks WSU would probably be ranked by doing that. Remember WSU already has 6 top 25 votes.

Jones had an off night and still worked hard enough to have 12 points and 7 boards. This team is really easy to like.
Beavers height hurt Jones but like you said he managed 12/7. And they came at the right time. Rice has ice in his veins. He may be the best PG they have ever had. He and Reggie Moore of course :)

Beavers height hurt Jones but like you said he managed 12/7. And they came at the right time. Rice has ice in his veins. He may be the best PG they have ever had. He and Reggie Moore of course :)

Beavers are NOT that tall. According to the radio announcers, beavers don't have a tall front court.

They are not a small, short frontcourt, but they are not a giant, big frontcourt either.

Also the radio announcers said that the reason Jones struggled a little, was because Ore St used a combination of zone, man doubling, and switching, rotating, and defending him as a team.

Also what the announcers didn't say, but said in a way by pointing out the times Jones got mugged, fouled, etc, with no calls, because of bad officiating, that part of the reason why Jones struggled was the bad officiating, the no calls, the getting MUGGED, over and over.

All that had NOTHING to do with how big OSU is on front court.

Jones is 6-9.5, between 230 to 240.

Jones has torched frontcourts, individual bigs that way bigger then OSU's Frontcourt.

WSU's Frontcourt of Jones, Cluff, Jaki, is one of the very tallest, biggest Frontcourts in nation.

So SIZE didn't stop Jones. Good defense that had nothing to do with size, bad officiating, an a semi off, semi lesser night by Jones, semi stopped Jones.

There are always going to be missed calls, but those were interesting. Earlier in the 2nd half OSU's big Marial puts two arms in the back of Jones and pushes him under the basket on a rebound and no call. Jones puts up his arms wondering where's the call? Hard to miss Marial's arms. Ibekwe clearly pushes Wells although Wells needs to make a better decision and not blindly throw the ball back in. Jaki's double dribble wasn't a double dribble. Maybe a carry, but not a double dribble.

Fortunate to get through it all. We need to do a better job of putting teams away earlier though, but the refs didn't made that harder to do.

Reactions: Coug90
11-1 at home sounds like a awesome home court advantage to me
It is an awesome home record, and even better when you consider the lack of crowd support. I hope they get more support down the stretch. The players love playing in front of a big crowd, did you read their comments after the UW game? Keeping these players on campus next year has a lot to do with fan support. Sure NIL has a major influence, but if you have a chance to play in front of 10,000 plus every night or 2000, which would you choose.? This team has the chance to be real special, just wish the students and community would recognize that and support this team.

Shit was it both halves? Forget which one (I think it was at the first half?) where we had the ball with a minute to go. The announcers are commenting on WSU making it a 2 for 1 possession and shoot early, guaranteeing one more possession. But no - we run the shot clock all the way down, take a shot clock penalty, and give OSU 29 seconds to plan their final shot. I mean WTF?

Beavers are NOT that tall. According to the radio announcers, beavers don't have a tall front court.

They are not a small, short frontcourt, but they are not a giant, big frontcourt either.

Also the radio announcers said that the reason Jones struggled a little, was because Ore St used a combination of zone, man doubling, and switching, rotating, and defending him as a team.

Also what the announcers didn't say, but said in a way by pointing out the times Jones got mugged, fouled, etc, with no calls, because of bad officiating, that part of the reason why Jones struggled was the bad officiating, the no calls, the getting MUGGED, over and over.

All that had NOTHING to do with how big OSU is on front court.

Jones is 6-9.5, between 230 to 240.

Jones has torched frontcourts, individual bigs that way bigger then OSU's Frontcourt.

WSU's Frontcourt of Jones, Cluff, Jaki, is one of the very tallest, biggest Frontcourts in nation.

So SIZE didn't stop Jones. Good defense that had nothing to do with size, bad officiating, an a semi off, semi lesser night by Jones, semi stopped Jones.
Just for clarification, OSU last night played a combination front court of Bilodeau (6'9", 220), Ibekwe (6'10", 290), Rataj (6'9", 220), and Marial (7'2", 235). I don't know how you define size, but that seems like a tall, big front court to me.

Glad Cougar

Just for clarification, OSU last night played a combination front court of Bilodeau (6'9", 220), Ibekwe (6'10", 290), Rataj (6'9", 220), and Marial (7'2", 235). I don't know how you define size, but that seems like a tall, big front court to me.

Glad Cougar
Yeah they are a huge team. And a couple of thick dudes too. Gonna have to disagree w Mik here.

Glad Cougar
Facts are amazing, aren't they? :)

Glad Cougar

Marial didn't start, and didn't have a lot of minutes, at least that's what I remember the announcers say.

6-9, altho NOT short, is not GIGANTIC.

Also Ore St only played 2 6-9+ on court at same time. They did not play 3 6-9+ on court at same time, like WSU does.

Also just so you know, Jaki, WSU's smallest big man, is 6-9, so Ore St having 2 6-9's is like them having 2 Jaki's on their team height wise.

That's not considered a TALL, BIG, ETC, Frontcourt.

You want to see a big frontcourt, go see Utah, WSU, not Ore St.

It was not height that was shutting Jones down. That was a silly comment by Ed.

It is an awesome home record, and even better when you consider the lack of crowd support. I hope they get more support down the stretch. The players love playing in front of a big crowd, did you read their comments after the UW game? Keeping these players on campus next year has a lot to do with fan support. Sure NIL has a major influence, but if you have a chance to play in front of 10,000 plus every night or 2000, which would you choose.? This team has the chance to be real special, just wish the students and community would recognize that and support this team.

It takes time, especially in Pullman, and especially considering it's been how long since last NCAA(16 years).

If WSU makes a Sweet 16/Elite 8 run in NCAA tourny, that's when the students, fans will start to come, and will show up in droves next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT