ADVERTISEMENT

OT - 20 worst car engines

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2022
Hah hah. Fortunately the All-Knowing Loyal One had none of these engines. Hail the trusty Chevy 350 (aka 5.7 liter) and the non-turbo Subaru 2.5 liter. 180K and 217K and never a problem with either. Helped along by the superior Pennzoil oil.

Although with only 2 entries, Ford is woefully overlooked in this list. They should pretty much have dominated. I'm still not sure if the "F" in the F series trucks stands for Fail, Falter, Frail, Flop, Fool (buyer) or several other handy F words. :) :)

Edit - this list is more like it, except that the first entry is complete horseshit. The Silverado rocks. Most mentioned of all trucks in country songs, especially by Morgan Wallen. Just waxed up my 28-year-old fire engine red beauty, and the whistles from chicks of all ages could be heard down the streets. Although since my head was hanging out the window maybe they were whistling at more than the truck.

Last edited:
Hah hah. Fortunately the All-Knowing Loyal One had none of these engines. Hail the trusty Chevy 350 (aka 5.7 liter) and the non-turbo Subaru 2.5 liter. 180K and 217K and never a problem with either. Helped along by the superior Pennzoil oil.

Although with only 2 entries, Ford is woefully overlooked in this list. They should pretty much have dominated. I'm still not sure if the "F" in the F series trucks stands for Fail, Falter, Frail, Flop, Fool (buyer) or several other handy F words. :) :)

Edit - this list is more like it, except that the first entry is complete horseshit. The Silverado rocks. Most mentioned of all trucks in country songs, especially by Morgan Wallen. Just waxed up my 28-year-old fire engine red beauty, and the whistles from chicks of all ages could be heard down the streets. Although since my head was hanging out the window maybe they were whistling at more than the truck.

Well.....the first list is kind of stupid for including the BMW N54 engine and not the N63. The N63 was pure garbage and an absolute disaster. The N54 wasn't perfect, but the N63 was far worse.

As far as the Fords go, one of my co-workers just got rid of his 2018 Ford F-150 because the transmission was crapping out already. As for Chevy, the 5.3L with AFM is absolute POS and I now drive a Ford after my Silverado crapped out twice in an 8 year period with a bad cam caused by the AFM. It cost me $4k in 2016 and would have been $8k to have the dealer fix it last year.

My 2022 F-150 has a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer that covers all internal components of the engine, turbo and transmission. I figure I'll need it.

I used to have work trucks that were Silverados. They were the most comfortable trucks in our fleet, but they didn’t hold up well to work. Any towing or heavy loads shortened their lives. They all ended up with tranny and transfer case issues. The F-150 and the Tundra held up much better.

I’ll weigh in on Ford’s 3.8L V6 though. I still haven’t had serious mechanical problems with it, but it is woefully underpowered.

Almost forgot - my Silverado also had issues with front wheel bearings. Burned both within the first 8,000 miles off the lot. Lost another shy of 20K. I moved to the Tundra before I lost another, and quit that job a year later.

I used to have work trucks that were Silverados. They were the most comfortable trucks in our fleet, but they didn’t hold up well to work. Any towing or heavy loads shortened their lives. They all ended up with tranny and transfer case issues. The F-150 and the Tundra held up much better.

I’ll weigh in on Ford’s 3.8L V6 though. I still haven’t had serious mechanical problems with it, but it is woefully underpowered.

Almost forgot - my Silverado also had issues with front wheel bearings. Burned both within the first 8,000 miles off the lot. Lost another shy of 20K. I moved to the Tundra before I lost another, and quit that job a year later.
Kinda sounds like driver malfeasance to me. I recall my Silverado (Z71) 1500, with my Lance camper on top (it is a load), pulling our 19ft boat up the Dworshak grade one hot day. Yeah I was white-knuckling it, but my baby pulled it and the other grade just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT