ADVERTISEMENT

This is how streaming now begins, it starts with the NFL

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
Yes. the NFL has streamed a few games before, but I do believe this is a first year where playoff games on Saturday are only available by streaming, in a few years most ALL of football will require streaming, For all of those people ( university Presidents) that thought the Apple deal for the pac 12 was a bad deal and needed to have linear, think again.

Streaming is here to stay and growing

The NFL has already started, and now a playoff game is only available by stream and slowly but surely a majority of the football you want to watch will no longer be on linear TV, ESPN and the networks can not continue to pay what they are paying the leagues and the colleges, and college football is next as more and more people cut cable the networks incomes are cut. They need another source of revenue, and streaming is the long-term answer.

Reactions: LeachPack
Yes. the NFL has streamed a few games before, but I do believe this is a first year where playoff games on Saturday are only available by streaming, in a few years most ALL of football will require streaming, For all of those people ( university Presidents) that thought the Apple deal for the pac 12 was a bad deal and needed to have linear, think again.

The NFL has already started, and now a playoff game is only available by stream and slowly but surely a majority of the football you want to watch will no longer be on linear TV, ESPN and the networks can not continue to pay what they are paying the leagues and the colleges, and college football is next as more and more people cut cable the networks incomes are cut. They need another source of revenue, and streaming is the long-term answer.

I think it's safe to say that the game is going to get terrible ratings on Peacock. Whether that is considered compelling evidence of the failure of streaming NFL games is a different thing. FWIW, the game is still supposed to be available on NBC in local markets. The NFL lacked the balls to commit fully to streaming. That'll probably the excuse thrown out when the Peacock ratings are horrible though.

Pay per view Super Bowl next???

Nah, they already tried that with MNF being ONLY on ESPN for however long.

ESPN's best bet is to cut the cord from cable and offer ala cart service like the rest of them.

Pay per view Super Bowl next???
Maybe, but that is down the road. Right now the trade-off would be how much ad money they would have to give up with a streaming only model, vs. how much they could charge for streaming only to recoup. I'll add that they would have to set up a much easier model for taking the money and delivering the service for PPV on that scale, and that infrastructure probably does not yet exist. But someday? I'd say it is a good chance.

The NFL has already started, and now a playoff game is only available by stream and slowly but surely a majority of the football you want to watch will no longer be on linear TV, ESPN and the networks can not continue to pay what they are paying the leagues and the colleges, and college football is next as more and more people cut cable the networks incomes are cut. They need another source of revenue, and streaming is the long-term answer

Roses, your comments regarding streaming vs. linear for the college game seem inevitable. The university leaders lacked the context, real world knowledge and entrepreneurial ability to recognize this. But, as we all seem to agree, they were the wrong people to be charged with making that decision.

I think it's safe to say that the game is going to get terrible ratings on Peacock. Whether that is considered compelling evidence of the failure of streaming NFL games is a different thing. FWIW, the game is still supposed to be available on NBC in local markets. The NFL lacked the balls to commit fully to streaming. That'll probably the excuse thrown out when the Peacock ratings are horrible though.
It's not going to work this way. Once the networks get with the program, they'll realize that they need to combine streaming with pay per view. They'll have ways to subscribe to certain channels as a la carte, but also set up to allow paying for particular games. That's their path forward.

It's not going to work this way. Once the networks get with the program, they'll realize that they need to combine streaming with pay per view. They'll have ways to subscribe to certain channels as a la carte, but also set up to allow paying for particular games. That's their path forward.

Those are their paths forward.

Fixed!

Thursday night football viewership up 20% over last year. It won’t happen overnight, but it’s coming, just wait 5 years

Reactions: justinbgocougs

The problem that I see for the plan is they are betting that casual t-shirt fan with no allegiance is going to sign up for all of these streaming services to watch games that they are betting on. They are hoping that SEC fans really believe enough in the "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chant to pay to watch other SEC teams play. For me, I'm going to be pulling back on the streaming services that I'm watching...not expanding. Peacock is never going to be on my list if I can avoid it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT