ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guess who just got caught banging a coed?

Tony Bennet retires effective immediately

of course there could be another reason, but Im struggling to think what it could be.
My first thought was medical. They’ve said that’s not it (although they could be just saying that).

Dipping the pen in company ink would also provide a good explanation.

Or, maybe he’s just burnt out. Didn’t his dad suddenly retire the same way?

My first thought was medical. They’ve said that’s not it (although they could be just saying that).

Dipping the pen in company ink would also provide a good explanation.

Or, maybe he’s just burnt out. Didn’t his dad suddenly retire the same way?
Pop's walked after 3 games at Wiscy after going to the Final 4 the previous season.

"I just simply was drained. I just simply could not keep up and it began to bother me," he said at the time.

This feels different, but who knows?

Posted this in Beasley, but:

Still not buying it.

But getting your ass kicked in NIL/ NIL souring the game for you is a legitimate reason to quit. Kinda.

Must suck to have all of your built in advantages leveled to the ground by the a-bomb that is NIL, but then again everyone else is dealing with it too, so UVA isn't a special flower that being picked on. Basketball has been dealing with constantly rotating rosters for 10 years now, so the "NIL ate my baby" thing is feeling kinda weak imho.

Still not buying it.

But getting your ass kicked in NIL/ NIL souring the game for you is a legitimate reason to quit. Kinda.

Must suck to have all of your built in advantages leveled to the ground by the a-bomb that is NIL, but then again everyone else is dealing with it too, so UVA isn't a special flower that being picked on. Basketball has been dealing with constantly rotating rosters for 10 years now, so the "NIL ate my baby" thing is feeling kinda weak imho.
College athletics is eating itself and at this point, why should anyone pay attention to it? NIL pushed Saban to retire earlier than he probably anticipated. Jay Wright as well. And that's two guys with larger NIL budgets for their respective sports.

The players have a 30 day window to transfer with no penalty. I should feel bad their coach left, but this is also the new collegiate landscape. You have football players playing four games and quitting so they can get their "bag" elsewhere.

Tony will be NBA. It's not complicated.

The college change of needing players to be signing money contracts is making it a less organized "mini-NBA".

Tony already won a title.

Time for him to get his in the NBA where it's better than the mis-directed NCAA

It sounds like Bennett is stepping away from the game for the same reasons Saban did, he simply doesn’t want to do it anymore and he doesn’t have the heart for it. He would much rather step away rather then approach the game half hearted. I don’t blame Bennett because college sports are being ruined with all that is going on.

Stepping out this time of year guarantees the assistants another season of pay and possibly beyond if successful.

But if pictures surface of a coed, that wouldnt be all that shocking either.

It sounds like Bennett is stepping away from the game for the same reasons Saban did, he simply doesn’t want to do it anymore and he doesn’t have the heart for it. He would much rather step away rather then approach the game half hearted. I don’t blame Bennett because college sports are being ruined with all that is going on.
True, but I still like it way better than the NFL.

Still not buying it.

The timing is hard to explain.

Serious? You could look into Bennett history and see his dad and his sister did the same thing.

Nothing surprises me these days, but for that to be the first place to go is a bit strange.
His timing is what’s weird. Weeks before the season starts… what an ass.

His timing is what’s weird. Weeks before the season starts… what an ass.
Should have left in the summer at the latest, since he cares so deeply for is UVA kids.
Agree. While recruiting never ends, it presumably wanes during the season. If he announced it was his last year, it would provide time for transition. Although I doubt that UVA would have announced Sanchez as permanent coach-in-waiting so that may have played into it.

It’s still an ass move , even if his family members sis it. Was he the Preaching the 5 pillars….
What I've picked up is that waiting allowed the assistants to be virtually guaranteed this season of pay.

An earlier notice could have resulted in a clean sweep of all the coaches. That's all I have to say about that.

It’s still an ass move , even if his family members sis it. Was he the Preaching the 5 pillars….
Tony is a really good coach and maybe even a great coach. All the pillar stuff ultimately was at least somewhat situational. It was pretty obvious Tony would leave when a better offer came along. No fault there because that's just the nature of coaching. However, it does appear even more hypocritical when the coach sets the programs standards the way Tony did with the "5 Pillars".

What I've picked up is that waiting allowed the assistants to be virtually guaranteed this season of pay.

An earlier notice could have resulted in a clean sweep of all the coaches. That's all I have to say about that.
Yeah, that makes the most sense.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT