ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Navy Growler crash

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2022
Day 3 and no report on the airmen yet. Doesn't sound as if they have physically gotten to the crash site yet. I saw a twin rotor (Chinook?) chopper fly out of Yakima headed that way just a bit ago. Seems pretty certain to me that the pilots went down with the plane. They would have spotted parachutes by now.

Day 3 and no report on the airmen yet. Doesn't sound as if they have physically gotten to the crash site yet. I saw a twin rotor (Chinook?) chopper fly out of Yakima headed that way just a bit ago. Seems pretty certain to me that the pilots went down with the plane. They would have spotted parachutes by now.
Tragic and sad.

Was just talking about this with a client, crazy we aren't physically on site yet. Sounds like it may be in Yakama land, which may be slowing things down.

Was just talking about this with a client, crazy we aren't physically on site yet. Sounds like it may be in Yakama land, which may be slowing things down.
No it's not tribal land

Not sure quite where the crash site is, but the Yakama reservation is well to the south of Rainier, so I don't think that's the issue.

Reports now say that they're bringing in a SPecial Forces unit with mountain training to search. The crash site is supposedly at around 6,000 feet, so they should be able to overfly it by helicopter, but it might be a long hike from anywhere they could insert people. It's pretty wild land there.

Timing is bad too. If they survived the crash, they've been out there for 3 days now in pretty rough weather. Depending on the exact location, wind chills have been in the single digits and there's been rain and snow.

News this morning says they’ve reached the crash site - in the area between Rimrock & Cliffdell - but have not found the crew. Weather is bad, area is covered in snow.

News this morning says they’ve reached the crash site - in the area between Rimrock & Cliffdell - but have not found the crew. Weather is bad, area is covered in snow.
Kinda thinking the crewman have been found......doing the below right now I would guess... :(

" Navy could not "identify or confirm the names of aircrew involved in a mishap until 24-hours after their next of kin have been notified of their status"

Kinda thinking the crewman have been found......doing the below right now I would guess... :(

" Navy could not "identify or confirm the names of aircrew involved in a mishap until 24-hours after their next of kin have been notified of their status"
Possible, but that statement has been in most of their releases since the crash. They’re not saying names until they know. At this point, I’m pretty sure the crew members’ families know who’s missing…they just don’t know where they are.

Possible, but that statement has been in most of their releases since the crash. They’re not saying names until they know. At this point, I’m pretty sure the crew members’ families know who’s missing…they just don’t know where they are.
Bummer but expected. Airmen were killed........

Here you go, Loyal...both lady pilots.

Growler crash victims identified as 31-year-old Navy pilots​

Lauren GirgisOct. 21, 2024 at 11:23 am
By
Seattle Times staff reporter
Two 31-year-old Navy pilots from California were identified Monday as the victims in the Growler crash east of Mount Rainier last week.

Lt. Cmdr. Lyndsay P. Evans, a naval flight officer, and Lt. Serena N. Wileman, a naval aviator, went missing after their EA-18G Growler crashed Tuesday afternoon near White Pass during a training flight. Authorities found the wreckage a day later, and the Navy declared the two crew members deceasedon Sunday. Their next of kin have been notified. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

Based in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island, the pair belonged to Electronic Attack Squadron 130, known as the “Zappers.”

Evans enlisted in the Navy in 2010 and was commissioned in 2014. She first reported to Electronic Attack Squadron 130 in September 2023, and she had been stationed on Whidbey Island since 2016.

Wileman was commissioned in 2018, and first reported to the Electronic Attack Squadron 130 in November 2022.

The “mountainous terrain, cloudy weather, and low visibility” complicated the search, according to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. Navy search crews were able to reach the crash site Friday. The jet wreckage was about 6,000 feet up on a steep mountainside, unreachable by motor vehicle.

Lauren Girgis: 206-652-6591 or lgirgis@seattletimes.com.

Here you go, Loyal...both lady pilots.

Growler crash victims identified as 31-year-old Navy pilots​

Lauren GirgisOct. 21, 2024 at 11:23 am
By
Seattle Times staff reporter
Two 31-year-old Navy pilots from California were identified Monday as the victims in the Growler crash east of Mount Rainier last week.

Lt. Cmdr. Lyndsay P. Evans, a naval flight officer, and Lt. Serena N. Wileman, a naval aviator, went missing after their EA-18G Growler crashed Tuesday afternoon near White Pass during a training flight. Authorities found the wreckage a day later, and the Navy declared the two crew members deceasedon Sunday. Their next of kin have been notified. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

Based in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island, the pair belonged to Electronic Attack Squadron 130, known as the “Zappers.”

Evans enlisted in the Navy in 2010 and was commissioned in 2014. She first reported to Electronic Attack Squadron 130 in September 2023, and she had been stationed on Whidbey Island since 2016.

Wileman was commissioned in 2018, and first reported to the Electronic Attack Squadron 130 in November 2022.

The “mountainous terrain, cloudy weather, and low visibility” complicated the search, according to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. Navy search crews were able to reach the crash site Friday. The jet wreckage was about 6,000 feet up on a steep mountainside, unreachable by motor vehicle.

Lauren Girgis: 206-652-6591 or lgirgis@seattletimes.com.
Shit. Would never have guessed that. Double bummer.

I notice that the statements indicate that the crew has been “declared deceased,” not that they’ve been located and/or recovered.

I notice that the statements indicate that the crew has been “declared deceased,” not that they’ve been located and/or recovered.
Ehhh, I think you are reaching there. They have been on site for what - 4 days now? No way would they declare them deceased without bodies in hand. And I can't imagine a Chinook helicopter not being able to reel a long, long line down to recover the bodies.

Copied from a local (Lynwood) newspaper
WHIDBEY ISLAND—The US Navy and local Naval Air Station Whidbey Island are mourning the deaths of aviators Lt. Cmdr. Lyndsay P. Evans, 31, and Lt. Serena N. Wileman, 31, both from California, who died from their injuries from a crash

Wow - more on the pilots. They just got back from combat deployment on the carrier USS Eisenhower on or after July 14. Fighting the Houthis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT