ADVERTISEMENT

Pac12 official's targeting confusion continues

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
Hansen from Utah ejected for tackling a QB a split second after releasing the ball. "WOW!" as the announcer put it.

That was a terrible call and not targeting. Their helmets touched, but the Utah player stuck his head off to the side.....just like they are taught to do.

The helmet to helmet hysteria, among other things, manifest in the current targeting rules/calls is absurd. If a helmet grazes a facemask, the player is tossed the same way he would be if he was trying to kill the guy. Just stupid. The helmet has to go somewhere when you make the tackle.

The helmet to helmet hysteria, among other things, manifest in the current targeting rules/calls is absurd. If a helmet grazes a facemask, the player is tossed the same way he would be if he was trying to kill the guy. Just stupid. The helmet has to go somewhere when you make the tackle.
Next up....defensive players can't play with helmets. You heard it here first folks.

Next up....defensive players can't play with helmets. You heard it here first folks.
Ha! I was thinking something similar. If you don't want to get hit with targeting then leave your helmet on the bench. Then you can't get called for it. Problem is you'll need twice as many able defenders because you'll have to switch out every play.

If I were an OC in today's game, I'd just outfit my QB with a giant helmet that went all the way to the ground. No one could touch him. Targeting or face masking every play:confused:.

I heard or read somewhere that CFB should adopt a similar to NBA, flagrant one or flagrant two type penalty. Eject for the malicious and warning with an ejection for another....

Now how they interpret is another story as they have enough trouble as it is now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT