ADVERTISEMENT

Passing stats, mutts

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Couple of musings before I quit yapping over this game.

Cal was giving up 165 yards/game passing. We had 334. Don't know their total defense figure, but I'm sure we smucked that too. We doubled their passing average, with an off game. And held them to 291. The 19-13 score just doesn't seem to reflect that. Maybe those six 3rd own flags for dubious penalties.…..

Kind funny that Gawdner's 35-51, 334 yard performance seems like meh. I guess it's that "only" 1 TD, that sack (the horror!) and that int (shame on you, II!).

Oops - forgot the mutt comment. WSU and uw are the only Pac-12 teams ranked this week. Wonder when (if ever) that has happened?

Last edited:

Cal was giving up 165 yards/game passing. We had 334. Don't know their total defense figure, but I'm sure we smucked that too. We doubled their passing average, with an off game. And held them to 291. The 19-13 score just doesn't seem to reflect that. Maybe those six 3rd own flags for dubious penalties.…..

Kind funny that Gawdner's 35-51, 334 yard performance seems like meh. I guess it's that "only" 1 TD, that sack (the horror!) and that int (shame on you, II!).
We’ve certainly been spoiled. He missed a couple of receivers no doubt. A couple of drops were not well placed balls.

We also had a couple of drives that should have been extended with obvious penalties and weren’t, which would have resulted in more points.

Cals D is very similar to UWs in terms of scheme and talent. We should be able to put 30+ on them.

Oops - forgot the mutt comment. WSU and uw are the only Pac-12 teams ranked this week. Wonder when (if ever) that has happened?

Was weird watching him get sacked. The crowd seemed horrified and I, too, was surprised ... "what's this ... tackling our quarterback?" Seemed for a minute like he wouldn't come out of that pile alive or something, just because nobody is used to seeing it. The way this OL has protected him all year has been amazing, especially when you account for how often they have to pass protect and the sack numbers over the past several years. Cal had 9 sacks in last year's game alone.

Reactions: cougcowboy
“WSU and uw are the only Pac-12 teams ranked this week. Wonder when (if ever) that has happened?”

1936, according to S-R.

Reactions: rity
Was weird watching him get sacked. The crowd seemed horrified and I, too, was surprised ... "what's this ... tackling our quarterback?" Seemed for a minute like he wouldn't come out of that pile alive or something, just because nobody is used to seeing it. The way this OL has protected him all year has been amazing, especially when you account for how often they have to pass protect and the sack numbers over the past several years. Cal had 9 sacks in last year's game alone.
Credit to minshew too. He’s slippery and gets rid of the ball quickly, throws it away to avoid sacks. Plus the opposing D has to rush him differently as well because he can get outside the pocket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT