ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports, the new P12 Commissioner is. . .

Director of sports and entertainment for MGM. I could think of worse ways to go. Willing to see. Has potential.

He brings the business side of sports that the conference needs. I will wait and see. He has a lot damage to repair and needs to get the conference making money. Conference is probably moving it's headquarters to Vegas. No need to stay in SF anymore.

He brings the business side of sports that the conference needs. I will wait and see. He has a lot damage to repair and needs to get the conference making money. Conference is probably moving it's headquarters to Vegas. No need to stay in SF anymore.
It is not a bad place to have the headquarters. On first look, with never hearing about him before, I think this has potential.

It is not a bad place to have the headquarters. On first look, with never hearing about him before, I think this has potential.
Way cheaper than SF, with men's and women's basketball tournament there, moving the Pac-12 Football championship there. The ease to get there from all locations it makes sense. No more footing the bill for the President's Suite, Kliavkoff can just drive home.

Way cheaper than SF, with men's and women's basketball tournament there, moving the Pac-12 Football championship there. The ease to get there from all locations it makes sense. No more footing the bill for the President's Suite, Kliavkoff can just drive home.
This is exactly what I was thinking. But, I was too lazy to type it all out. Thank you for putting it into print here.

Well, Limo Larry will soon be in our rear view mirrors. That's a starting step in the right direction.

Like most of you, I have never heard of this guy but his CV is interesting and brand x has reported that he was elected unanimously by the conference's presidents and chancellors. So that is a good sign. I am reasonably sure that our presidents and chancellors have learned their lesson over the past few years of the Scott regime.

I liked his comments during the press announcement. His stated intention to hire some one to steer him through those areas where his knowledge is limited was clearly in opposition to Scott's management style. A commissioner who is not a know-it-all and is open to advice. What a novel concept!

Disappointed to read that he is planning on moving to San Francisco but if we are stuck with a lease there and cannot get our of it then what else can he do? Hopefully he will move the headquarters to a cheaper location ASAP.

This guy has a tough row to hoe. Maybe he can do the job and maybe not but there is one thing that I believe we can all agree on: he can't be any worse than the current greedy SOB in the office.

Reactions: 79COUG
I think the Yahoo opinion piece is pretty close to right (posted on the site's home page). Worth a read.

Reactions: kayak15
I think the Yahoo opinion piece is pretty close to right (posted on the site's home page). Worth a read.
Thanks for the heads up, cr8zy. Indeed a good read.

Quite informative for those under a rock for the past ten years to note how NCAA sports fans from coast to coast are aware of the Pac12's dilemma. To my mind conference commissioners are somewhat like referees in that nobody knows the names of the ones doing a good job. Everybody knows the Limo Man's name.

p.s. Sorry about the extended blank spot in my first post. No idea how that happened. Just another reminder that people of my age should not be permitted access to computers without youthful supervision.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and ATACFD
Excellent article on ESPN co-written by Coug grad Kyle Bonagura. It goes very in depth on the hiring, and issues facing the conference. The more I read, the more I like the hire of Kliavkoff. He is not a one trick pony like Scott was with women's tennis. Kliavkoff is accomplished for many different employers.

"For a role as complex as a Power 5 conference commissioner, it's unreasonable to expect anyone to check all the boxes, but Kliavkoff checked enough of them and quickly emerged from a list of roughly 200 applicants.

At MGM, he oversaw a massive live event operation and was intimately involved in corporate sponsorship efforts. He was the chief digital officer at NBCUniversal, where he led the company's corporate digital strategy in a role that eventually saw him become the interim CEO of Hulu, in the streaming giant's early stages. He has a history in women's sports -- having served on the board of governors of the WNBA and managed the league's Las Vegas Aces -- and was the executive vice president of business for Major League Baseball's Advanced Media."

Excellent article on ESPN co-written by Coug grad Kyle Bonagura. It goes very in depth on the hiring, and issues facing the conference. The more I read, the more I like the hire of Kliavkoff. He is not a one trick pony like Scott was with women's tennis. Kliavkoff is accomplished for many different employers.

"For a role as complex as a Power 5 conference commissioner, it's unreasonable to expect anyone to check all the boxes, but Kliavkoff checked enough of them and quickly emerged from a list of roughly 200 applicants.

At MGM, he oversaw a massive live event operation and was intimately involved in corporate sponsorship efforts. He was the chief digital officer at NBCUniversal, where he led the company's corporate digital strategy in a role that eventually saw him become the interim CEO of Hulu, in the streaming giant's early stages. He has a history in women's sports -- having served on the board of governors of the WNBA and managed the league's Las Vegas Aces -- and was the executive vice president of business for Major League Baseball's Advanced Media."

Well stated. I am also optimistic here. Certainly no sure thing, but those don't exist in the real world....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT