ADVERTISEMENT

Peterson stepping down.. Lake takes over

Typical fan comments on the web about this...

Cougs are saying that's it, game over. UW will never be the same.

UW fans are shrugging it off. CP wasn't that good anyway. Lake will be better.

Like him or not, CP has a career record of 146-38.

Jimmy Lake is 0-0 as a head coach.

Everybody is smarter than their boss until they become the boss.

The defense plays a lot of minutes when the offense stinks.
The problem with your theory is that the time of possession for that game was uw 29 minutes to CU's 31. So, the uw had the TOP lead until that last drive.

I had no idea you guys were so connected to the Cougar program.
If you have season tickets and pay any amount in form of fee to get them (Tyee or CAF) by NCAA's definition you are a booster.

I have no idea how anyone thinks this is suddenly a boom for the cougs. You keep the guy who is the ace recruiter and defensive guru, and get rid of their bad offense. Even if lake brings on someone to make their offense marginally better, they beat us 9/10 times.

Typical fan comments on the web about this...

Cougs are saying that's it, game over. UW will never be the same.

UW fans are shrugging it off. CP wasn't that good anyway. Lake will be better.

Im not shrugging... but UW did finish 7-5 and there were a lot of questions about personnel choices made by Petersen ... Fuller/Baccellia over Osborne/Spiker/Nacua contributed to some losses.

Wellington/Manu at LB also sounded like a Pete choice and it killed the team.

Lake was seen as a favorite to land a big coaching job somewhere... so we’ll see how it goes.

I’m certainly more excited to watch a Lake run program over a Jonathan Smith... Lake is top notch recruiter... and he’ll probably relate more to athletes who felt slighted by Pete’s OKG stuff that was often tied to race, unfairly or not.

Im not shrugging... but UW did finish 7-5 and there were a lot of questions about personnel choices made by Petersen ... Fuller/Baccellia over Osborne/Spiker/Nacua contributed to some losses.

Lake was seen as a favorite to land a big coaching job somewhere... so we’ll see how it goes.

I’m certainly more excited to watch a Lake run program over a Jonathan Smith... Lake is top notch recruiter... and he’ll probably relate more to athletes who felt slighted by Pete’s OKG stuff that was often tied to race, unfairly or not.
willie taggert 2.0

I was surprised Peterson stepped down, but not shocked. If you just look at him in interviews this year, he didn't have the same energy, it looked like the job was starting to take a toll on him. So like Urban, you step away for a while and regroup. Stoops, Meyer, Peterson, as much as they pay these coaches, they can retire if they don't waste their money, why put up with the crap. Peterson was there 6 years his gross income over those 6 years was about 24 million,, I could retire off that and not work again.

Last edited:
I have no idea how anyone thinks this is suddenly a boom for the cougs. You keep the guy who is the ace recruiter and defensive guru, and get rid of their bad offense. Even if lake brings on someone to make their offense marginally better, they beat us 9/10 times.

It's a shock to the foundation of the program. Same as if Leach was leaving. At a minimum there will be short-term uncertainty and and instability, and that means opportunity for competitors. Every guy on their commitment list (at least on the O side) now doesn't know where he stands. What offense is Lake going to run? Is it a fit? Who is in charge on the offensive side?

And, Lake is a douche canoe who will face plant.

Reactions: royhobbs2

The OKG stuff was about the lack of coffee cups not race.

The problem with your theory is that the time of possession for that game was uw 29 minutes to CU's 31. So, the uw had the TOP lead until that last drive.
Nonetheless, the UW attempted to run and couldn't. The game plan was to win time of possession, not lose it narrowly. And the game is still about scoring more points. You shouldn't lose if you give up 20.

Does Lake keep the current staff together, probably not, so there is a lot of uncertainty. Does he talk the QB into staying? more uncertainty. Maybe Peterson sees more trouble ahead, and got out now, so he didn't have to deal with this again next year.

It's a shock to the foundation of the program. Same as if Leach was leaving. At a minimum there will be short-term uncertainty and and instability, and that means opportunity for competitors. Every guy on their commitment list (at least on the O side) now doesn't know where he stands. What offense is Lake going to run? Is it a fit? Who is in charge on the offensive side?

What recruit watched the UW offense this year and felt comfortable about fitting in? It was horrible.

The D will remain the same. They’ll hire a stud OC with the money they saved.

How could anyone associated with UW not be excited about an offensive change?

You can take Jimmy Lake out of Felony Flats but you can't take.....

Gee. I wonder what similarity you're referring to.

Wasn't Taggart a head coach before he got the Oregon gig? Not sure their resumes are all that similar.

Last edited:
You guys really have a gem in this Royhobbs guy. He’s actually the dumbest person I’ve ran across on all forums I’ve ever visited.

I know he’s trolling, but it’s seriously embarrassing.

The OKG stuff was about the lack of coffee cups not race.

I don't think Petersen meant it that way, but you can make a race connection. How many "OKGs" are from the hood, totally broke, no father figure in the household, etc.?

You guys really have a gem in this Royhobbs guy. He’s actually the dumbest person I’ve ran across on all forums I’ve ever visited.

I know he’s trolling, but it’s seriously embarrassing.

Says the guy spending his time on the instate rivals' board.

Reactions: 79COUG
What's interesting to me is how relaxed CP looked when the game ended on Friday. Happiest I'd seen him in a long time. It was really noticeable. Now we know why. It must be a huge relief.

Says the guy spending his time on the instate rivals' board.

I contribute to a number of boards.

But why focus on me... and not the lunacy of a member of this board calling Jen Cohen a clown when she’s hired Mike Hopkins, 2x P12 Coach of the year in hoops in his first 2 years at UW?

Or that he’s referencing one Colorado loss as Lake’s demise when outside of WSU, Colorado has been made UW’s second biggest bitch over the same time span?

I’ll wait for anyone here to tell him how dumb he’s making you all look.

What recruit watched the UW offense this year and felt comfortable about fitting in? It was horrible.

The D will remain the same. They’ll hire a stud OC with the money they saved.

How could anyone associated with UW not be excited about an offensive change?

Maybe. Hiring stud coordinators is about who has connections. Does Lake have those connections? I don't know.

And will Lake have as much time to dedicate towards the defense, now that he has the responsibilities of running the program. Does Kwiatkowski (sp?) stay on and take the DC spot?

It's not always as simple as "this guy is a good coach and recruiter, so he'll be a good head coach". Sometimes guys fail at their first run at it. Look at Ed Orgeron, Lane Kiffin, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick.

Lakes a douche, program will implode

CP to Lake ? not good
I’m not sure anyone knows that. We all want to believe this of course. If I were to apply percentages reasonably, I’d say there’s a 5% chance Lake keeps UW at the current level. a 25% chance of implosion and a 70% chance they are a middling team under his direction...which won’t be good enough for UW brass.

Being head coach is a helluva lot different than being a DC.

I contribute to a number of boards.

But why focus on me... and not the lunacy of a member of this board calling Jen Cohen a clown when she’s hired Mike Hopkins, 2x P12 Coach of the year in hoops in his first 2 years at UW?

Or that he’s referencing one Colorado loss as Lake’s demise when outside of WSU, Colorado has been made UW’s second biggest bitch over the same time span?

I’ll wait for anyone here to tell him how dumb he’s making you all look.

You call this "contribution"?

I’m not sure anyone knows that. We all want to believe this of course. If I were to apply percentages reasonably, I’d say there’s a 5% chance Lake keeps UW at the current level. a 25% chance of implosion and a 70% chance they are a middling team under his direction...which won’t be good enough for UW brass.

Being head coach is a helluva lot different than being a DC.

Lake is douche. That much is certain.

Petersen is only 55!! He looks a lot older on the sidelines.
No wonder he packed it in. The stress is getting to him.
He came to win a National Championship and instead he left a legacy of Noodle Arm U.

Funny posts from the Main Rivals Board regarding the announcement >

"Who the F is Jimmy Lake?"

"Damn good question... does anyone know who Jimmy Lake is?"

Jimmy Lake has a big ego. Will Kwitkowski stay?? I'm sure this will shake up the staff pretty good. Lake has never been a head coach. Big jump to go from a DC to a head coach. I imagine he will bring in a new offensive coordinator, will be interesting to see what style of offense he prefers.

Jimmy Lake has a big ego. Will Kwitkowski stay?? I'm sure this will shake up the staff pretty good. Lake has never been a head coach. Big jump to go from a DC to a head coach. I imagine he will bring in a new offensive coordinator, will be interesting to see what style of offense he prefers.

Would be a nightmare if Helton and crew get fired and Lake brought in Harrell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT