ADVERTISEMENT

Pippins and White

dgibbons

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 24, 2002
I didn't listen to the post-game and have only read the S-R articles today.

Has Leach said anything about whether the plan going into the game was to keep Pippins on the field for the second half? Or was that a decision made at halftime?

No and nobody asked, but I was impressed with Pippins recovery speed. Safeties are awful, one of the touchdown, they weren't even paying attention and gave no help. But Leach pretty much said that they had no issues stopping them, but once we turned the ball over they quit. I think it's time to get rid of Valeo and Breske and have Wilson coach linebackers and bring in a coach that works with corners and safeties only. Looking at this passing stats, you can't tell me it's all talent. Yesterday we were getting pressure, they could hardly run the ball, but yet, again, we gave up big play after big play through the air.

Stats

Originally posted by Brent H.:
No and nobody asked, but I was impressed with Pippins recovery speed. Safeties are awful, one of the touchdown, they weren't even paying attention and gave no help. But Leach pretty much said that they had no issues stopping them, but once we turned the ball over they quit. I think it's time to get rid of Valeo and Breske and have Wilson coach linebackers and bring in a coach that works with corners and safeties only. Looking at this passing stats, you can't tell me it's all talent. Yesterday we were getting pressure, they could hardly run the ball, but yet, again, we gave up big play after big play through the air.

You've convinced me, and I didn't even look at the stats.

More than anything, we've got to have a real DB coach, not a part-time DB coach and DC. Obviously guys will have to carry more than one title, but the DBs need help. Wilson and Salavea can handle coaching the Bucks.

David Gibbons of Houston is the guy. Houston was 115 in total defense in 2012, now they are 16th and they create turnovers. They've created 29 turnovers this year compared to ours 7.

Originally posted by dgibbons:

More than anything, we've got to have a real DB coach, not a part-time DB coach and DC. Obviously guys will have to carry more than one title, but the DBs need help. Wilson and Salavea can handle coaching the Bucks.
This is soooo obvious to you yet Leach picked these guys and approves of their coaching style, practice plans and game plans, right?

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

This is soooo obvious to you yet Leach picked these guys and approves of their coaching style, practice plans and game plans, right?
Do you have a point?

Do you have a point?
Who ever said he approves of Breske's coaching style this year? He's been pretty open about the decisions that were made on personel and the inability to create turnovers.

Yup, Sark also approved of Nick Holts coaching style when he paid him 600k to come to UW. Realized he made a mistake, cut him loose, and managed to snag one if the best DCs in the country. I don't think Leach will mind admitting a mistake if the resulting change produces results. The turnover thing is mind boggling to me. That was supposed to be one of the keys to Breskes game, and we don't force turnovers at all.

Wilcox is one of the best DC's in the country? Using what metric?
Originally posted by Coug90:
Yup, Sark also approved of Nick Holts coaching style when he paid him 600k to come to UW. Realized he made a mistake, cut him loose, and managed to snag one if the best DCs in the country. I don't think Leach will mind admitting a mistake if the resulting change produces results. The turnover thing is mind boggling to me. That was supposed to be one of the keys to Breskes game, and we don't force turnovers at all.

Wilcox is one of the best DC's in the country? Using what metric?
Originally posted by Coug90:
The metric of his brother being in the media and saying so. They are football royalty, you know. If you don't know, just ask them and they'll tell you.

I would say UW defense w/Holt one year and w/Wilcox the next, was enough to anoint him that after his first year at UW, which is actually the timeframe in which I was referring to. I believe he's still widely considered one of the best DCs in the country by most CFB experts. That really didn't have a lot to do with my original point, but thanks for puffing your chest out with an emphatic "Prove It!" anyways....D Bag

Your anger is being channeled in the wrong direction.

obviously, as your correction indicates, you didn't make your original point clearly. But, now that you have cleared up your intention, no, Wilcox is not considered a 'great' DC. With top 10 talent at USC, he has the NCAA #76 ranked defense and is #56 in points surrendered.

I agree. If a change is made, I hope Leach gives this guy a look. But, I believe his last name is Gibbs, not Gibbons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT