ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff picture

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Window is getting pretty small for us to sneak in. Teams ahead of us are taking care of their business, it’s down to where a WSU bid really isn’t realistic. Too many things have to occur, with too few games.

I’m happy with a Rose Bowl bid, but the CFB conversation is still distracting

Today sealed the deal. Shouldn't be any more valid conversations about it.

Not so fast my friend.

Georgia and Bama will play each other.
West Virginia and Oklahoma will play each other.
Michigan and Ohio State will play each other
Notre Dame will play Syracuse and USC in the Colliseum.

The next 2-3 weeks expect some weirdness.

Reactions: rity
Today sealed the deal. Shouldn't be any more valid conversations about it.

I'm more than happy with the Rose Bowl and I agree that some things have to happen for us to sneak in the Playoffs. On the other hand I consider the quote above to be ridiculous. How did "today seal the deal." We only beat Colorado by 24 on the road. That's actually pretty impressive. Meanwhile Ok beat Ok St. by 1. It certainly isn't out of the question for Oklahoma to lose to West Virginia while Michigan loses to Ohio St and Notre Dame loses to Syracuse or USC. A longshot perhaps but hardly out of the question.

Not so fast my friend.

Georgia and Bama will play each other.
West Virginia and Oklahoma will play each other.
Michigan and Ohio State will play each other
Notre Dame will play Syracuse and USC in the Colliseum.

The next 2-3 weeks expect some weirdness.
West Virginia/Oklahoma no longer helps us. Winner will be ahead of us, loser behind. Unless Kansas beats oklahoma and/or Oklahoma state beats West Virginia.

Probably the same with Michigan/Ohio state- except that if tOSU wins, they might both be ahead of us. We need Indiana to beat Michigan.

Georgia/Bama and Notre Dame/Syracuse aren’t enough help. We need at least 5 losses in the top 7, and it has to be the right losses.

West Virginia/Oklahoma no longer helps us. Winner will be ahead of us, loser behind. Unless Kansas beats oklahoma and/or Oklahoma state beats West Virginia.

Probably the same with Michigan/Ohio state- except that if tOSU wins, they might both be ahead of us. We need Indiana to beat Michigan.

Georgia/Bama and Notre Dame/Syracuse aren’t enough help. We need at least 5 losses in the top 7, and it has to be the right losses.

Oklahoma and WV will likely have a rematch in the Big 12 championship game. If they split, each will have two losses. We’ll likely need some help from Northwestern and Syracuse.

If we are a one loss Power 5 conference champion we will have just as much clout as a 1 loss conference champion.

Notre Dame will not get in if they have 1 loss especially if they lose to USC or Syracuse.

Clemson still has to play Duke and South Carolina.

Michigan and Ohio State play each other and play Northwestern

Oklahoma and West Virginia play each other.

With losing 1 game at USC on a poorly called game / blocked field goal back in the beginning of the season I can guarantee that not only do we have a claim if there are other Power 5 conference champions with 1 loss.

Especially if their losses come at the end of the season.

Don't forget the Big 10 championship game. Northwestern could beat the Buckeyes or the Wolverines. They had Michigan on the ropes earlier this year

Reactions: Cougatron
If we are a one loss Power 5 conference champion we will have just as much clout as a 1 loss conference champion.

Notre Dame will not get in if they have 1 loss especially if they lose to USC or Syracuse.

Clemson still has to play Duke and South Carolina.

Michigan and Ohio State play each other and play Northwestern

Oklahoma and West Virginia play each other.

With losing 1 game at USC on a poorly called game / blocked field goal back in the beginning of the season I can guarantee that not only do we have a claim if there are other Power 5 conference champions with 1 loss.

Especially if their losses come at the end of the season.

A 1 loss WSU making the playoff over a 1 loss Notre Dame? I just can’t imagine that ever happening regardless of the inferior schedule ND is playing this year.

WTH are you talking about Colorado was only getting 4 to 6 points and WSU blows them out by 24 on the road.
Not talking about our win over Colorado. Everybody above us won. Yeah...there's 2 to 3 weeks left.

It would take winning the lotto to make it to the final. That's what I'm saying.

A 1 loss WSU making the playoff over a 1 loss Notre Dame? I just can’t imagine that ever happening regardless of the inferior schedule ND is playing this year.

Conference championships matter. Notre Dame skirting the rules will make the other power 5s upset.

We should jump Oklahoma after their defense was beat down by OSU.
Saw how that worked after LSU got stomped by Bammers though. They get shelled at home and held scoreless, and the national media chatter afterwards was about how WSU's Passing Offense "only" dispatched the conference's top Passing Defense by a TD in the closing minutes. Meanwhile, LSU has a lifetime hall pass and didn't merit any concerns. One got the feeling they were only talking about us because they have to talk about all Top 10 teams.

In fact, LSU's #7 ranking seems to be the dividing line between CFB royalty and the scrubs like us. If any of the Top 4 drop a game and we win out, we would not pass them. Georgia & Oklahoma are a maybe. LSU would have to fall below us with a loss, but only begrudgingly for any voters who don't want a lil old state school crashing their toga party.

No way in hell accord to the CFP committee selection rules, would any top 4 team or any team ahead, behind us, with 2 losses, make the play offs over ANY 1 loss POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION, AND THAT INCLUDES A 1 LOSS PAC 12 POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION WSU.

If WSU didnt make it over a 2 loss team, the CFP COMMITTEE WOULD BE BREAKING THEIR RULES.

AND THE POWER 5 CONFERENCES WOULD CRY FOUL.

AND THE MEDIA, ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, WOULD CRY FOUL.

AND THE CFP COMMITTEE WOULD BE A LAUGHING STOCK.

SO BECAUSE OF THAT A 2 LOSS TEAM WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS OVER A 1 LOSS POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION NO MATTER THE TEAMS INVOLVED.

No way in hell accord to the CFP committee selection rules, would any top 4 team or any team ahead, behind us, with 2 losses, make the play offs over ANY 1 loss POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION, AND THAT INCLUDES A 1 LOSS PAC 12 POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION WSU.

If WSU didnt make it over a 2 loss team, the CFP COMMITTEE WOULD BE BREAKING THEIR RULES.

AND THE POWER 5 CONFERENCES WOULD CRY FOUL.

AND THE MEDIA, ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, WOULD CRY FOUL.

AND THE CFP COMMITTEE WOULD BE A LAUGHING STOCK.

SO BECAUSE OF THAT A 2 LOSS TEAM WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS OVER A 1 LOSS POWER 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPION NO MATTER THE TEAMS INVOLVED.
I don't think anybody's saying that.

Also according to the selection rules, if ND loses a ga1me a 1 loss pac 12 champ WSU would have to be chosen over ND.

ND cant have a conference championship. They dont have a conference. And there schedule was, is weak.

The ONLY way ND can make the playoff is:

1. Unbeaten

2. Have a better record then the other candidates

3. Only have 1 loss at worst.

4. Have a strong schedule.

If ND loses has 1 loss they are out of the playoffs according to the rules.

IF #4 1 loss michigan loses gets 2 losses, they would not goto playoffs over 1 loss OK, WV, WSU, OSU, GEORGIA.

Basically for WSU to get in:

ND has to lose
WSU win out
OSU, somebody beats Michigan
OSU either just barely beats Michigan in overtime remains behind WSU or OSU loses(cant be michigan, unless michigan loses to somebody else)
OK, WV beat each other between regular season, conference championship.
Alabama beats Georgia in conference championship,

Those things are a longshot, but still easily possible, doable.

Those things happen and WSU goes to playoff

Also if Clemson loses combined with some of the other things happening, and that would create a potential opening for WSU

Alabama losing a game would not help WSU, because a 1 loss Alabama still gets a playoff spot, and the team beating Bama would likely be Georgia causing a 1 loss Georgia to be selected to the playoffs over WSU

Last edited:
Saw how that worked after LSU got stomped by Bammers though. They get shelled at home and held scoreless, and the national media chatter afterwards was about how WSU's Passing Offense "only" dispatched the conference's top Passing Defense by a TD in the closing minutes. Meanwhile, LSU has a lifetime hall pass and didn't merit any concerns. One got the feeling they were only talking about us because they have to talk about all Top 10 teams.

In fact, LSU's #7 ranking seems to be the dividing line between CFB royalty and the scrubs like us. If any of the Top 4 drop a game and we win out, we would not pass them. Georgia & Oklahoma are a maybe. LSU would have to fall below us with a loss, but only begrudgingly for any voters who don't want a lil old state school crashing their toga party.
Heh, not many actually watched that Cal game outside of each teams' respective fan base. That game was only as close as it was because of officiating and Cal Weirdness, which seems to be a thing that's lasted as long as Leach has been here

Now that you mention LSU, they barely beat 2 win Arkansas. I think we jump them too.

Heh, not many actually watched that Cal game outside of each teams' respective fan base. That game was only as close as it was because of officiating and Cal Weirdness, which seems to be a thing that's lasted as long as Leach has been here

That Cal game was Leach’s notorious let down game. Difference this year, we win those games. Because we are the best PAC team, period.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
That Cal game was Leach’s notorious let down game. Difference this year, we win those games. Because we are the best PAC team, period.
USC is in meltdown mode, but I continue to be impressed with Cal's defense. Leach said last week that the Bears are playing good ball, and they are. Not necessarily on offense, but that D is stopping everyone right now...and maybe that close game vs. Cal is more of a credit to them than anything else.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Now that you mention LSU, they barely beat 2 win Arkansas. I think we jump them too.

Doesn't seem like they factor in close losses. A win is a win.

Fricking Okie State really screwed us though. They had that 2 pointer. Gawdner would have made that throw 50 times in a row.

USC is in meltdown mode, but I continue to be impressed with Cal's defense. Leach said last week that the Bears are playing good ball, and they are. Not necessarily on offense, but that D is stopping everyone right now...and maybe that close game vs. Cal is more of a credit to them than anything else.

Glad Cougar

Cal’s performance of late also means that UWs loss down there wasn’t as bad as it first appeared. The Apple Cup is going to be a great game.

Cal’s performance of late also means that UWs loss down there wasn’t as bad as it first appeared. The Apple Cup is going to be a great game.
Cal is probably playing the best defense in the conference right now It also puts into perspective how well WSU played in that game.

Reactions: Coug90
Doesn't seem like they factor in close losses. A win is a win.

Fricking Okie State really screwed us though. They had that 2 pointer. Gawdner would have made that throw 50 times in a row.

I don’t think they did. OSU curb stomped Oklahoma’s defense. The committee values defense. I’m not convinced we won’t jump LSU and Oklahoma. The committee has PAC 12 reps that are fighting for our interests.

Cal is probably playing the best defense in the conference right now It also puts into perspective how well WSU played in that game.
Bingo. We’ve already played the best defense in the conference. Playing at its best.

Bingo. We’ve already played the best defense in the conference. Playing at its best.
Utah, UW, and Cal are all top quality defenses. And we have the best duct tape and bailing wire in the country. Claeys/Phelps 2020

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT