ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs

Coug-Vandal

Hall Of Fame
Jan 7, 2003
I realize this is very premature but I was looking at the football playoff odds listed in Nate Silver's
538. If the Cougs win out and
1. USC beats Notre Dame and
2. Michigan loses the Big 10 championship game

they list the Cougs chances of making the playoffs at 91%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougatron
I tend to agree since I'll probably go to the Rose Bowl. My point was simply that while our chances of getting to the playoffs are a long shot they aren't out of the question.

Last edited:
What are our chances of beating Alabama?

Exactly. That’s why I’m hoping for the Rose Bowl.

Man, I love the Rose Bowl as much as the next guy - and would love to finally WIN one. But - I'd rather take our (slim) chances against Bama.

The CFP would be HUGE, and do wonders for our brand. More then even a RB victory over Ohio State. I think the UW brand got more out of their butt whoopin' than SC did for that epic comeback vs Penn State. Debatable, I guess.

Worst case we get blown out by possibly the greatest team in college football history. And, I doubt it would be THAT bad.

Oh well, nice conversation to have right?

Reactions: rity
Man, I love the Rose Bowl as much as the next guy - and would love to finally WIN one. But - I'd rather take our (slim) chances against Bama.

The CFP would be HUGE, and do wonders for our brand. More then even a RB victory over Ohio State. I think the UW brand got more out of their butt whoopin' than SC did for that epic comeback vs Penn State. Debatable, I guess.

Worst case we get blown out by possibly the greatest team in college football history. And, I doubt it would be THAT bad.

I get what you’re saying. But my biggest want is a Rose Bowl win over the Big Ten champion. I just like tradition that way.

But if it came down to playing the Big Ten also ran (tOSU?) or Alabama I’ll take the Bama game. A win over a conference’s second beat team if your the champion of your own conference just doesn’t have the right shine for me.

Reactions: billyjoecamaro

I don’t disagree with your passion, but when I look into my crystal ball regarding a Coug / Bama playoff game, all I see is Alabama media coverage. WSU would be a complete afterthought on that stage. We would lose to them by at least 30. So will everyone other than maybe Clemson.

The Rose Bowl would completely energize our entire West coast alumni base, which is about all of us. It will be epic!!

Reactions: billyjoecamaro

If we were playing Alabama, that means we would be #2. Crazy.
I'm with you. I'd rather play and beat tOSU in The Rose Bowl, then losing to Alabama in the National Championship.

I'm with you. I'd rather play and beat tOSU in The Rose Bowl, then losing to Alabama in the National Championship.
How do you figure? We’d play them in the semis and probably get spanked and would not end up number 2.

I’m good either way if we make it to 4 bring on Bama, if not Rose Bowl is pretty awesome.

Let’s kick the everloving shit out of Colorado tomorrow though, huh?

How do you figure? We’d play them in the semis and probably get spanked and would not end up number 2.

I’m good either way if we make it to 4 bring on Bama, if not Rose Bowl is pretty awesome.

Let’s kick the everloving shit out of Colorado tomorrow though, huh?
I am with you. I am fine with either scenario because that means WSU wins the P12.

Yes the rose bowl would be great but if we go to the national championship game I and probably every Coug that can get there + extra will be there.

The title game is on the west coast this year.

I think we would make it as much of a home game as we could, and despite others I like our chances even against Bama.

Plus going to the title game (which UW couldn’t do) would be even sweeter.

You guys are happily discussing whether you want Bama or the Rose Bowl. Me? I just want a win over Colorado. O.K., then one over Arizona who beat us last year without Dotson or Pelluer. And, of course, the Apple cup. That too. Then a chance for revenge with USC. I'm a greedy little bastard. That's the way I roll. Give me those four games and I'm happy. Bama or the Rose Bowl? Don't care. Whatever is fine with me.

. Give me those four games and I'm happy. Bama or the Rose Bowl? Don't care. Whatever is fine with me.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I did think it was interesting that 538 didn't think are odds of making the playoffs were as bad as the ESPN types keep suggesting. Obviously, if we don't win out the playoff discussion is totally dead. However, we don't have to win out to win the PAC-12. We just have to win 3 of the next four as long as we beat UW.

Play Bama. Make them do more than just get off the bus. Crank the tempo, make their big derense run.

Tell me, who have they beaten????

Not saying they dont have a great team. Just show me their tough opponents this year....

Play Bama. Make them do more than just get off the bus. Crank the tempo, make their big derense run.

Tell me, who have they beaten????

Not saying they dont have a great team. Just show me their tough opponents this year....

LSU was ranked 3. The toughest part of the schedule is coming up, even with Citadel before the Iron Bowl.

I think if we play Bama they would believe that their uniforms would beat us. I think we actually would do ok in that game.

Nathan Peterman and the Buffalo Bills would be favored by 4 TDS against them!

Come on, it’s Frickin Bama! Cougs would roll the tide :D

I just believe that while Bama is a great and talented team, they could potentially overlook WSU. They have done it before with other teams and it has cost them. They are not unbeatable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT