ADVERTISEMENT

Polian is out at Nevada do you think they go for Mastro?

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
I've seen Jim Mastro be brought up on a few places speculating as to him being a candidate for the Nevada job.

It would be pretty hard to pass up being the HC of Nevada if they offer it to him. He was an assistant there for 10 years.

I love him as an assistant for us. Just look at how awesome our RBs are.

I've seen Jim Mastro be brought up on a few places speculating as to him being a candidate for the Nevada job.

It would be pretty hard to pass up being the HC of Nevada if they offer it to him. He was an assistant there for 10 years.

I've seen these speculative positions all over the net, as well. Twitter is rumor central. Right after this was really getting out there, I saw a post from someone (honestly don't remember) close to WSU's program saying Mastro was happy at WSU. Here is Reno Gazette's list of potential coaches.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...didates-nevadas-next-football-coach/94521302/

#2 on the list is interesting.

I've seen these speculative positions all over the net, as well. Twitter is rumor central. Right after this was really getting out there, I saw a post from someone (honestly don't remember) close to WSU's program saying Mastro was happy at WSU. Here is Reno Gazette's list of potential coaches.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...didates-nevadas-next-football-coach/94521302/

#2 on the list is interesting.

Mastro's name definitely has come up with his ties to the program and how respected he is, but like you, I've heard that he's happy where he is and doesn't necessarily want to be a head coach. Agree that #2 is interesting.

Paul Wulff didn't work out for us, but I think Baldwin up at Eastern WA will be a strong candidate for that job. Hey, if Nevada hires him, he'll have a chance at beating us 2 years in a row. :rolleyes:

People worry about Leach leaving and I don't think it's a concern. I am very worried about losing good assistants and you can't fault a guy for leaving for a higher level opportunity if it arises. It would suck to lose Mastro because as you said, our running backs have come a long, long way. I hope that we can find the money to keep our assistants as happy as possible.

People worry about Leach leaving and I don't think it's a concern. I am very worried about losing good assistants and you can't fault a guy for leaving for a higher level opportunity if it arises. It would suck to lose Mastro because as you said, our running backs have come a long, long way. I hope that we can find the money to keep our assistants as happy as possible.

I think we are actually very competitive in salary, but obviously they aren't making HC money as an assistant.

Polian was making 575k as Nevada's HC.
Mastro makes about 235k at WSU.

So the HC gig at Nevada is double the money hard to turn down.

Burton Burns the RB coach at Alabama makes $345,050 to put things in perspective.

I think we are actually very competitive in salary, but obviously they aren't making HC money as an assistant.

Polian was making 575k as Nevada's HC.
Mastro makes about 235k at WSU.

So the HC gig at Nevada is double the money hard to turn down.

Burton Burns the RB coach at Alabama makes $345,050 to put things in perspective.
also, i'd think a long-term contract is an easier get as a head coach...

For all the failings of CML, I find it very, very intriguing how his staff is so supportive and loyal. I'd wager there are differing views on politics and life but regardless, CML knows how to keep family together. The ties between Mastro and CML go back to Mastro playing RB for Cal Poly. Amazing a tie decades prior is a portion of logic for Mastro to stick around.

Then look at all the other staff. So many have other opportunities and they are sticking around. Family in Pullman but family within Coug Nation. Very proud of this notion.

Mastro's name definitely has come up with his ties to the program and how respected he is, but like you, I've heard that he's happy where he is and doesn't necessarily want to be a head coach. Agree that #2 is interesting.

I wouldn't blame him for jumping ship, but he's clearly happy at a WSU that isn't exactly coming off a 6 and 40 run...

No one is everything to everyone. Many comment on him supporting Trump. Others bring up his lack of running (did so for years), too rigid in his beliefs, likes to ruffle feathers, etc. etc.

Ive been very open, on my personal stance regarding CML. Love him. Just looking at the "other side of the coin".

A guy will occasionally decide that he has to reach for the brass ring as the merry-go-round swings by. But other than that sort of situation, it is hard to beat Pullman for a coaching assistant. Affordable housing, good schools (most of these guys have school aged kids), safe environment…it is a reality version of Mayberry. So long as you respect the HC to whom you are reporting, it is a very good gig for an assistant coach.

The most recent tweet from Coach Mastro, was in response to this:
"Mastro was never leaving WSU for Nevada. Never. That's not an insult. What the Pack had at one time was incredible: irreplaceable."

And coaches response to this?
"#GoCougs!!!!"

Also it appears that decision might have been made for Mastro, regardless of how he felt. The AD apparently has ruled out any candidate with ties to Ault...

To further the potential coaching search for Nevada (we all know by now, Mastro isn't going anywhere). Looks like Beau Baldwin is looking to move along. He has already interviewed and is a finalist for the Nevada gig. EWU might be on the verge of yet another change in coaching. Will be interesting to watch how this develops for them. Rumors out there are saying he's the guy but time will tell.

EDIT: let me clarify the rumor part... It's said he has an offer in hand. 3 times what he is earning now. No idea on the contract details but rumor has it, Beau Baldwin has an offer and it's up to him to take or decline it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT