ADVERTISEMENT

Russell Wilson article - Minshew mentioned

I also read where Denver owed Wilson $39 million in guaranteed salary. I won't even try to decipher the salary cap hit.

So signing a free agent is the most "viable" per the article? Something to watch.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+m...EDSAQg5NDcxajBqNKgCALACAA&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531
Im a broncos fan loyal. Skinny with Denver is they are 99% letting Wilson walk. They can spread the cap hit over two years or take it all in one year. It’s about $85 mill total. So there’s a couple ways you can go. Unless they love Nix, Penix, or McCarthy they aren’t getting the QB they want in the first round this year at 12 (one potential option is to trade Surtain + 1st and another pick to move into the top 2-3).

Its likely Imo they take a bridge QB (Minshew, Winston, Jake Brownning, etc) take the full cap hit, suck balls next year, and start over in the 25 draft with one of the top picks and clear Wilson off the books completely. Now I’ve said this before, if I’m Minshew Denver’s the last place I want to be unless you are thinking 4-5 years down the road. Why go get pummeled with a depleted roster? If there’s one guy I’d love fii ofr Denver in that scenario it’s Minshew because he’s played well with terrible rosters before, but I also want to see him be successful. If he goes to Denver he’ll probably end up in the blue tent.

Im a broncos fan loyal. Skinny with Denver is they are 99% letting Wilson walk. They can spread the cap hit over two years or take it all in one year. It’s about $85 mill total. So there’s a couple ways you can go. Unless they love Nix, Penix, or McCarthy they aren’t getting the QB they want in the first round this year at 12 (one potential option is to trade Surtain + 1st and another pick to move into the top 2-3).

Its likely Imo they take a bridge QB (Minshew, Winston, Jake Brownning, etc) take the full cap hit, suck balls next year, and start over in the 25 draft with one of the top picks and clear Wilson off the books completely. Now I’ve said this before, if I’m Minshew Denver’s the last place I want to be unless you are thinking 4-5 years down the road. Why go get pummeled with a depleted roster? If there’s one guy I’d love fii ofr Denver in that scenario it’s Minshew because he’s played well with terrible rosters before, but I also want to see him be successful. If he goes to Denver he’ll probably end up in the blue tent.

Denver might be Minshew's ONLY shot to come in as the official starter, and not hold a clipboard, unless the official starter gets injured.

Yeah the risk could be that Minshew might not be successful, an or get injured, an or end up carrying a clipboard later.

But despite that, Minshew, if he is offered being the official bridge starter, he needs to, should accept that offer. If he does very well as the starter, then even if the Denver ends up not doing well because of depleted roster, lack of defense, etc, then at least by doing very well despite that, Minshew might semi probably either get a longer term chance at Denver, and be thought of as more then a bridge QB there, or some other team might then make Minshew the official starter.

Minshew might be able to use Denver to establish, prove himself as a viable official regular starting QB worthy starting QB, whether at Denver or some other place.

So Denver might be his Minshew's shot, and if so he needs to, should take it if offered, etc.

Yes there is risk, but if he Minshew isn't willing to take that kind of risk, if offered, then he will be a career lifetime clipboard holder.

I expect Nix, Penix, and McCarthy to all be available at #12. Question is whether they’re worth #12. Other question is whether that pick isn’t better invested somewhere else.

There couldn't have been a better example of a team believing their own hype than UA last night. Hell, they didn't even look past us, they simply thought they were better and just had to show up.

90, I think you are right...pretty much across the board. If I'm Denver I go for a bridge QB and try to shore up the O line this year...and stand pat otherwise. To not try to upgrade the O line is to ensure that my bridge QB may not last the season, and they probably need at least 2 and more likely 3 years from the bridge guy. Having said that, the Broncos brain trust proved their incompetency by giving Wilson the contract that they gave him. So who knows what they will do?

90, I think you are right...pretty much across the board. If I'm Denver I go for a bridge QB and try to shore up the O line this year...and stand pat otherwise. To not try to upgrade the O line is to ensure that my bridge QB may not last the season, and they probably need at least 2 and more likely 3 years from the bridge guy. Having said that, the Broncos brain trust proved their incompetency by giving Wilson the contract that they gave him. So who knows what they will do?
Sean Payton is the defacto GM. Elway is already out as a DM. I have no idea what they are doing with George Paton, but the RW fiasco alone is enough to get him fired. They also made a terrible decision with Randy Gregory that cost them like $30 mil and zero production. All the while they could have had Minshew for a sixth and $5 mil and a fortune of cap space to build a roster. Minshew beat them in Denver with a bad Jax team too. Unreal stupidity.

Sean Payton is the defacto GM. Elway is already out as a DM. I have no idea what they are doing with George Paton, but the RW fiasco alone is enough to get him fired. They also made a terrible decision with Randy Gregory that cost them like $30 mil and zero production. All the while they could have had Minshew for a sixth and $5 mil and a fortune of cap space to build a roster. Minshew beat them in Denver with a bad Jax team too. Unreal stupidity.
Minshew is in a tough spot. Has had flashes of competency, if not brilliance. Making the playoffs last year would have been huge. But teams just seem to want to throw mega millions at QB's who end up underperforming, in some part due to the lack of supporting cast after the wad has been thrown at the QB and maybe a couple of others. At his point getting a backup gig behind an aging QB, if available, might be his best shot. But at 27 (?) his years are getting fewer. At least he is fairly well preserved other than that worn out clipboard arm.

Meanwhile occasionally a Brock Purdy comes along, but apparently no one bats an eye and says hummmm(?).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT