ADVERTISEMENT

QB's

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
I am pretty heartened about the status of the QB position. But I find it curious that Minshew is automatically penciled in as the 3rd QB in this 3 way race. Yes he has thrown 500 D-1 passes over 2 years at East Carolina. But why is he leaving there? Because he could not beat out the starter, correct?

The Alabama interest is eyebrow raising - but he would have just been the backup emergency plan there, assuming one of the star QB's leaves.

Not that I'm mad he is coming. The more the merrier. And, he is gone in a year no matter what, so all 5 existing QB's won't see him as a long-term, career ending threat.

Minshew would have been the starter at East Carolina. But he wanted an opportunity to jump start his coaching career so we was looking at transferring to either Alabama or WSU to play for an impressive coaching tree.

Minshew is my odds on favorite to start, because he's done it before and didn't faceplant. Cooper is the next most likely because he is lightyears ahead of the rest of the team in terms of talent. He just needs to make the adjustment to game speed in college. I don't mind burning his redshirt because he won't be sticking around for 5 years. Too talented. Gordon and Tinsley look like capable backups. Neither seem like starters, but both look like they could play a game or two without causing an issue.

Fun to debate now that spring practice is in the books.

I think Tinsley or Gordon is the starter against Wyoming and one of those two fourth-year juniors is the starter for 2018 barring injuries.

Also don’t expect Minshew to show up in August and win this job. Way too steep of a learning curve for the most important position on the field — regardless if he’s been spending time this spring with CML’s mentor Hal Mumme.

I’m 50/50 if Cooper plays this season or takes a redshirt. if the Cougs are on track for another bowl game, then no. If it’s unexpectedly rough season, then probably so.

Still calling 8-4 and other quality bowl.

A lot could change between now and the fall but at this point Cooper looks like he should redshirt.

Minshew has a tough hill to climb as well without a spring under his belt.

From what little we've seen so far this spring, Tinsley looks hands down like the leader. Confident, accurate, and what I like most-decisive- knows the offense and already seems to have a rapport with the receivers. Yes he lacks game day experience, but they all do (except Minshew). Cooper has loads of talent and thats apparent, but one year red shirting will go a long way. Having Tinsley and Minshew battling in the fall for starts is a great problem to have.

Minshew would have been the starter at East Carolina. But he wanted an opportunity to jump start his coaching career so we was looking at transferring to either Alabama or WSU to play for an impressive coaching tree.

Minshew is my odds on favorite to start, because he's done it before and didn't faceplant. Cooper is the next most likely because he is lightyears ahead of the rest of the team in terms of talent. He just needs to make the adjustment to game speed in college. I don't mind burning his redshirt because he won't be sticking around for 5 years. Too talented. Gordon and Tinsley look like capable backups. Neither seem like starters, but both look like they could play a game or two without causing an issue.

I did not know this. Not sure that makes me want him to be our starting QB though. I want a guy who wants to be on the field with the ball in his hands, not on the sideline with a clipboard. Or cocktail napkin in the case of the Air Raid. ;)

Let's answer your question with a question...Why would Mike Leach offer this kid a spot if, 1) he doesn't have anything to offer us, and 2) our current QB depth chart knocks his socks off?

Right now, we have a 3 horse race, with one of the horses being a true freshmen pony. What if the loser of the Tinsley / Gordon battle transfers or gets hurt?

Let's answer your question with a question...Why would Mike Leach offer this kid a spot if, 1) he doesn't have anything to offer us, and 2) our current QB depth chart knocks his socks off?

Right now, we have a 3 horse race, with one of the horses being a true freshmen pony. What if the loser of the Tinsley / Gordon battle transfers or gets hurt?

To answer your question, yes the Nazi party and NRA are......oops, wrong thread. :rolleyes:

Who are you replying to, anyway? I don't see the "question" you are answering. But to really answer your question(s), clearly CML thinks he has something to offer (thus the offer :D), and apparently that means the current QB lineup does not knock his socks off. And, I don't see Tinsley or Gordon transferring. Before TH's tragic passing, it was clear to those guys that he would be the starter for the next two years. Yet they appeared to be happy with their roles. Why then would either leave when they would still have a chance to start in 2019?

I did not know this. Not sure that makes me want him to be our starting QB though. I want a guy who wants to be on the field with the ball in his hands, not on the sideline with a clipboard. Or cocktail napkin in the case of the Air Raid. ;)

Watch Minchew's JC tape embedded in the attached link and I think you will see that he is far more than a "clip-board holder".

Etowncoug has this situation read correctly.

I'm torn on Cooper playing this year. He's clearly not ready right now but given the number of snaps he took, Leach clearly sees him as our future at QB. The comment above about playing him as a freshman because he won't be here as a senior may have some merit, but if we can get to a bowl game without him, I'd rather see him redshirt this year.

I have no confidence that the ECU transfer is going to be able to break into the starting role. I know that Leach is a good coach and the Air Raid is set up to generate good stats, but a guy with middling stats against mid-level competition doesn't blow my skirt up. We'll see how he does under Leach's wing though.

I'm torn on Cooper playing this year. He's clearly not ready right now but given the number of snaps he took, Leach clearly sees him as our future at QB. The comment above about playing him as a freshman because he won't be here as a senior may have some merit, but if we can get to a bowl game without him, I'd rather see him redshirt this year.

I have no confidence that the ECU transfer is going to be able to break into the starting role. I know that Leach is a good coach and the Air Raid is set up to generate good stats, but a guy with middling stats against mid-level competition doesn't blow my skirt up. We'll see how he does under Leach's wing though.

I struggle with this too. And we have a lot of history there (leaving early) - Rosie, Drew, Leaf. But I'm with you, redshirt him unless something forces CML's hand (ineffectiveness, injuries, etc).

The decision to redshirt Cooper, or any other player, has to do with where they are on the depth chart and how much they'll contribute. If Cooper was the 1 or 2 guy, we'd burn his shirt. The fact that he's #3 and we're adding an experienced D-I upperclassman QB makes the decision to redshirt Cooper easy.

The decision to redshirt Cooper, or any other player, has to do with where they are on the depth chart and how much they'll contribute. If Cooper was the 1 or 2 guy, we'd burn his shirt. The fact that he's #3 and we're adding an experienced D-I upperclassman QB makes the decision to redshirt Cooper easy.

There are 2 jobs for QB's in our offense:
- be effective in the air raid.
- don't die in the air raid.
I'm pretty sold on the redshirt year just to give him a year to get his body at a PAC-12 level, let alone acclimate to the sublties of our offense.

I keep thinking of Oregon's world-beater who broke his collarbone against us last year, I know we won't be so run-happy with our QB (or with anyone for that matter) but the thought of that happening to Cooper if there were other options on the table kinda outweighs the hero true-freshman narrative for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT