ADVERTISEMENT

Mike MacDonald

CougInSpain

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2009
Let's hope he does the right thing and can Milqtoast Geno. That whole line of "They wrote me off but I ain't write back tho" made zero sense and everyone in the sports media was "OOOOHHHH BUUUUUUUURRRRNNNN". I was left scratching my head like, WTF is that supposed to even mean? If anything, it just sounded cringe as he failed miserably trying to be witty. After that whole debacle in NY with his teammate break his jaw and his temper tantrum at the NFL Draft because he wasn't drafted high in the first round, I never really liked him. Sure people can change but he is just not that good. He is a serviceable backup but that's it. Bobby Wagner is pretty much at the end of his career, and Brooks is basically a bust at this point. Its nice to know Adams will be gone so there is a spot that definitely needs to be filled. Our WR's seemed to be set and RBs as well. Shore up our O-Line and go get a QB that will make the offense hum.

It seems to be that the Seahawks know they have to rebuild. I don't think Pete Carroll believed that.

Gino is not the franchise guy. We need draft someone this year who can fill that roll. I suspect we will.

It seems to be that the Seahawks know they have to rebuild. I don't think Pete Carroll believed that.

Gino is not the franchise guy. We need draft someone this year who can fill that roll. I suspect we will.
There are no generational qbs in this draft. Not sure what the alternative is, but they still need help at OL, DL and LB.

The Seahawks have greater needs in the draft than QB. Geno isn't the long-term solution, but he's also not the biggest problem. Their interior OL has been sub-par for several years, and they've consistently struck out on trying to improve it. Keep trying. If you get some guys who can block, it'll help keep your RBs on the field, and if your RBs gain yards it's easier for your receivers to get open.

Fix the OL. Shore up the D. Then look at QB, and stop throwing piles of money at it. Your offense will be more consistently good if you build a QB into a good unit...than if you build an offense around a star QB.

The Seahawks have greater needs in the draft than QB. Geno isn't the long-term solution, but he's also not the biggest problem. Their interior OL has been sub-par for several years, and they've consistently struck out on trying to improve it. Keep trying. If you get some guys who can block, it'll help keep your RBs on the field, and if your RBs gain yards it's easier for your receivers to get open.

Fix the OL. Shore up the D. Then look at QB, and stop throwing piles of money at it. Your offense will be more consistently good if you build a QB into a good unit...than if you build an offense around a star QB.
If the Seahawks get Grubb, don't be shocked if Penix gets drafted. I think the defense will be shored up quite a bit just based on the coordinator change.

If the Seahawks get Grubb, don't be shocked if Penix gets drafted. I think the defense will be shored up quite a bit just based on the coordinator change.
From what I saw of these two QB's, and given Penix's injury history, I think Nix is a better pro prospect. Nix is way more mobile and his stats sure beat the mutt's. And I don't think Penix helped his draft stock any in the Title game.

Stats and ranking per Tankathon. Seahawks draft #16, 78, and 81. Good chance both would be there at #16, slim chance they will be there at #78. If the Hawks like one or the other, maybe trade down from #16 and pick up a second/third round pick and be able to get their QB lower in first round? All depends on how the draft goes, with 3-4 QB's likely to go in top 5-10 picks, and who is left to pick that might take a QB also. .

Oregon

Bo Nix
QB | Oregon

6'2" 213 lbs
PASS YDS 4508
TD 45
INT 3
PCT 77.4
RATING 188.3
Overall Rank #30
Washington

Michael Penix Jr.
QB | Washington

6'3" 216 lbs
PASS YDS 4903
TD 36
INT 11
PCT 65.4
RATING 157.1
Overall Rank #35

He's not the franchise guy. He's the bridge to the next franchise guy. The question is how long the bridge is needed?

From what I saw of these two QB's, and given Penix's injury history, I think Nix is a better pro prospect. Nix is way more mobile and his stats sure beat the mutt's. And I don't think Penix helped his draft stock any in the Title game.

Stats and ranking per Tankathon. Seahawks draft #16, 78, and 81. Good chance both would be there at #16, slim chance they will be there at #78. If the Hawks like one or the other, maybe trade down from #16 and pick up a second/third round pick and be able to get their QB lower in first round? All depends on how the draft goes, with 3-4 QB's likely to go in top 5-10 picks, and who is left to pick that might take a QB also. .

Oregon

Bo Nix
QB | Oregon
6'2" 213 lbs
PASS YDS 4508
TD 45
INT 3
PCT 77.4
RATING 188.3
Overall Rank #30
Washington

Michael Penix Jr.
QB | Washington
6'3" 216 lbs
PASS YDS 4903
TD 36
INT 11
PCT 65.4
RATING 157.1
Overall Rank #35
Nix feels like the better pick to me. Penix had better receivers, and Nix still had better numbers. Just not sure how Nix will handle pressure - we know that Penix doesn’t.
Seahawks should watch free agency closely for a QB. Minshew seems like the gem - Vikings probably re-sign cousins, plus he’ll be expensive for a short period. Mayfield probably stays in TB. I hate saying it, but if Minshew isn’t available, maybe they should make a play for Jake Browning. He played well in place of Burrow. Next best is probably Drew Lock.
I think Their draft picks would be better spent elsewhere. OL prospects - which is arguably their biggest need - fall more into the 2nd-3rd round level this year. Not too many that are worth a look in the first. If they pick at 16, it should be DL or DB.

Oregon

Bo Nix
QB | Oregon
6'2" 213 lbs
PASS YDS 4508
TD 45
INT 3
PCT 77.4
RATING 188.3
Overall Rank #30
Washington

Michael Penix Jr.
QB | Washington
6'3" 216 lbs
PASS YDS 4903
TD 36
INT 11
PCT 65.4
RATING 157.1
Overall Rank #35
How about move up and package All Pro WR DK Metcalf

How about move up and package All Pro WR DK Metcalf
Depends what you can get for him. Historically it works out poorly for QBs - especially rookies - when teams trade away their receivers.

Considering that there are only maybe four franchise QB's in the NFL and perhaps two that could be, I agree that Geno is not a franchise QB. Geno is right there with the rest of the mediocre QB's that dot the NFL. Also, the odds on drafting a franchise QB are small. Will they draft a QB this year and hope they hit a lottery ticket, maybe.

Depends what you can get for him. Historically it works out poorly for QBs - especially rookies - when teams trade away their receivers.
Well for all his talent he really runs one route … a nine pattern .

Jaden Hicks is getting a lot of pre-draft love right now. I really hope the Seahawks can pick him up in place of Jamal Adams.

Oregon

Bo Nix
QB | Oregon
6'2" 213 lbs
PASS YDS 4508
TD 45
INT 3
PCT 77.4
RATING 188.3
Overall Rank #30
Washington

Michael Penix Jr.
QB | Washington
6'3" 216 lbs
PASS YDS 4903
TD 36
INT 11
PCT 65.4
RATING 157.1
Overall Rank #35
Caleb Williams will probably be the top QB picked and after him I got to believe its Drake Maye or JT Daniels. That's when it gets interesting...... I think this draft class has some excellent QBs in it.

Caleb Williams will probably be the top QB picked and after him I got to believe its Drake Maye or JT Daniels. That's when it gets interesting...... I think this draft class has some excellent QBs in it.
Hearing penix and Nix both dropping. Also hearing Michael Pratt is rising, who Id never heard of before last week.

Two certainties: At least one of the top 3 QBs off the board (maybe top 3 picks) will do nothing in the nfl. A QB drafted 4th round or lower will end up being a franchise guy.

Jaden Hicks is getting a lot of pre-draft love right now. I really hope the Seahawks can pick him up in place of Jamal Adams.
I saw a mock draft a couple days ago that had Hicks going to the Chiefs in the 2nd round.

Hearing penix and Nix both dropping. Also hearing Michael Pratt is rising, who Id never heard of before last week.

Two certainties: At least one of the top 3 QBs off the board (maybe top 3 picks) will do nothing in the nfl. A QB drafted 4th round or lower will end up being a franchise guy.
Most of the mocks I'm seeing now have Nix above Penix, partially due to injury concerns and partially because...he should be. I've seen a couple that have the Broncos taking Nix on day 1. Those have Penix going mid-2nd, I think to the VIkings. I've also seen some that have them both going in the 3rd round. Things probably firm up after the combine.

Not sure how Pratt has risen so much either, he seems to be getting into the late 1st/early 2nd.

Still say the Bears should stick with Fields for 2024. Trade back from #1, take the best available WR in 2024 (there are several good ones) and improve the OL through free agency and later picks. If Fields doesn't get it done in '24, get a new QB in '25...and conditions will be better for the rookie due to the '24 moves.

Most of the mocks I'm seeing now have Nix above Penix, partially due to injury concerns and partially because...he should be. I've seen a couple that have the Broncos taking Nix on day 1. Those have Penix going mid-2nd, I think to the VIkings. I've also seen some that have them both going in the 3rd round. Things probably firm up after the combine.

Not sure how Pratt has risen so much either, he seems to be getting into the late 1st/early 2nd.

Still say the Bears should stick with Fields for 2024. Trade back from #1, take the best available WR in 2024 (there are several good ones) and improve the OL through free agency and later picks. If Fields doesn't get it done in '24, get a new QB in '25...and conditions will be better for the rookie due to the '24 moves.
One other idea for the bears in the position they are in. Nab Cousins, trade fields and the pick. They’d have a ton of high draft picks and could make a serious run the next couple of years. Cousins has made a lot of money in Minnesota. I’d think coming off the injury he’d sign in the right situation for a bit of a discount, and he’s a damn good QB.

One other idea for the bears in the position they are in. Nab Cousins, trade fields and the pick. They’d have a ton of high draft picks and could make a serious run the next couple of years. Cousins has made a lot of money in Minnesota. I’d think coming off the injury he’d sign in the right situation for a bit of a discount, and he’s a damn good QB.
Possible, but rumor is that Cousins wants $45M. That's a little over half of what the Bears have, and impacts their ability to fill other holes. And, with a 36-year old coming off an Achilles...as GM I want that contract to have a lot of performance incentives, I'm not giving him that kind of guaranteed money.

If they could get the right deal, it makes sense. It might also make sense to bring in a reliable, cheap QB (like Minshew) to keep the seat warm while you build up the rest of the team.

Possible, but rumor is that Cousins wants $45M. That's a little over half of what the Bears have, and impacts their ability to fill other holes. And, with a 36-year old coming off an Achilles...as GM I want that contract to have a lot of performance incentives, I'm not giving him that kind of guaranteed money.

If they could get the right deal, it makes sense. It might also make sense to bring in a reliable, cheap QB (like Minshew) to keep the seat warm while you build up the rest of the team.
Well hell Cousins is a steal at $45 million. Way better than the chump Brock Purdy who, if he wins the Super Bowl will earn 1.2 million ($879K base plus incentives).

Yes I realize that Purdy is an anomaly, But how many Brock Purdy's are out there among the dozens and dozens of QB's that hit the draft every year?

Cousins can want whatever nobody’s paying him that coming off an Achilles @36. He might get a slight bump up from 30 but I’d guess he’s not sniffing 45.

Well hell Cousins is a steal at $45 million. Way better than the chump Brock Purdy who, if he wins the Super Bowl will earn 1.2 million ($879K base plus incentives).

Yes I realize that Purdy is an anomaly, But how many Brock Purdy's are out there among the dozens and dozens of QB's that hit the draft every year?
I have a hard time accepting that anyone is a steal at $45M.

My issue is that that's a big piece of your cap tied up at one position, and especially when you have multiple needs it impacts your ability to address them. If things work out right, a team like the Bears could get a WR, OL/DL, and RB that could step right onto the field for less than $45M...and those players would go farther to improve the team than a high-dollar 36-year old QB coming off an injury.

Cousins can want whatever nobody’s paying him that coming off an Achilles @36. He might get a slight bump up from 30 but I’d guess he’s not sniffing 45.
At his age, coming off of that, my offer is in the mid-20s, with a lot of incentives.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT