ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the more savvy....

Ffffws

All Conference
Nov 14, 2018
On the last Borghi TD, Gordon said, after seeing the box count, he said to Borghi "You're going to win it for us" and that the OL were calling for a check down to 'run'.
How do these two conversations happen without the defense hearing/responding preSnap?

On the last Borghi TD, Gordon said, after seeing the box count, he said to Borghi "You're going to win it for us" and that the OL were calling for a check down to 'run'.
How do these two conversations happen without the defense hearing/responding preSnap?

I think it's more of a look and nod/audible signal.

I think it's more of a look and nod/audible signal.

Could be the bourbon fog from Saturday but didn't the Beavs call a time out just after we lined up thus allowing Leach and the D coordinators to catch a glimpse of "the beavs box" (see what I did there) and re-evaluate the original pass play to Arcanado? "Something down the lines of, Hey...cough cough, spit, cuss, if they line up again and overload to the left, audible the Eff out and give it to the gosh darn Colorado Crusher"

I'm quite sure that the audible isn't called out as "Borghi up the middle." More likely it's a semi-random word.

My question is, since we had entire sections of the stadium chanting Borghi's name before the play - clearly audible on the field based on some of the videos that are out there - how did the D not even consider it?

Bigger question - with the ball on the 2 and Borghi in the backfield, how did their DC call anything that left the box so light?

I'm quite sure that the audible isn't called out as "Borghi up the middle." More likely it's a semi-random word.

My question is, since we had entire sections of the stadium chanting Borghi's name before the play - clearly audible on the field based on some of the videos that are out there - how did the D not even consider it?

Bigger question - with the ball on the 2 and Borghi in the backfield, how did their DC call anything that left the box so light?
Yeeeaaahhhh. I get what you're saying but I think it goes back to why they went for it on 4th down, too. We were able to move the ball on them, at will. If they stacked the box, our WR's were going to torch them, and they knew that. If they played vanilla, we'd torch them as well. Hence that last drive.
They gambled hoping they were right. Bad gamble.

Answer: Oregon State’s defensive players and coaches are terrible. The only defense in the conference worse than ours, and that’s saying a lot.

This is what happens when a team is on its heals, playing not to lose.

Edit: heels.

Yeeeaaahhhh. I get what you're saying but I think it goes back to why they went for it on 4th down, too. We were able to move the ball on them, at will. If they stacked the box, our WR's were going to torch them, and they knew that. If they played vanilla, we'd torch them as well. Hence that last drive.
They gambled hoping they were right. Bad gamble.
I think on D you have to go into that play with your own audible. Call your play for pass defense, knowing you've got a light box and dare WSU to audible to a run. As soon as Gordon calls his audible, you automatically shift your D. Doesn't have to be a big shift - close up your DL and bring up the LBs. Gordon doesn't have any timeouts, he's only got one chance to make the call.

Might not work anyway, but having 2 men down and the LBs 5 yards off the line was never going to.

A little OT, but the D can dictate run or pass against the Cougs, by dropping in or out of box. WSU needs to run some run plays box count be damned. Need to keep D off balance.

Then you’re asking for runs to get stuffed.

Then you’re asking for runs to get stuffed.

sure, but the point being a lot of smart coaches are bringing up a lot in the box and immediately dropping out dictating a pass or bringing up defenders late dictating the run. Trip them up once in a while. Need to have some unpredictability.

Reactions: froropmkr72
sure, but the point being a lot of smart coaches are bringing up a lot in the box and immediately dropping out dictating a pass or bringing up defenders late dictating the run. Trip them up once in a while. Need to have some unpredictability.

Or be predictable, and have your wide receivers make plays one on one.

Sellas, you are right. And I'd even count a shovel pass as a run, since it is essentially a middle screen. Gotta do it now and then, regardless of the D look. We've learned over and over for many years that the UW will show a lot of guys in the box and then drop 8. Make them pay. Keep them honest.

Reactions: sellas
Probably could have had both-
I was very pleased with the run given the defensive formation, but it was 1st down, and even with the run we had 2 seconds left. Could have had the quick slant, and then run for the last play. If we had been stopped on the run the game was over.

Still, the best thing I've seen this year...

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

WSU: leads the nation in passing
Sellas: We need to run against 6,7, or 8 in the box!

Probably could have had both-
I was very pleased with the run given the defensive formation, but it was 1st down, and even with the run we had 2 seconds left. Could have had the quick slant, and then run for the last play. If we had been stopped on the run the game was over.

Still, the best thing I've seen this year...

Probably the last play regardless. The ball would need to hit the turf and have the officials signal the stoppage of time. Too high a probability of a ball hanging in the air too long, or bouncing around a couple of times before falling incomplete, or a P12 ref being a touch slow on the signal to stop the clock.

Besides, with the game on the line, I love our line vs OSU's line where Borghi just needs to find enough space to get two yards.

Its been a concern of mine as well. If you only check down to a run play then the defense can just add defenders in the box as necessary. We need to call more original run plays with out checking into one determined by the box count. UW typically has 3 near 300 lb down lineman front against us. I'd like to see Borghi get a couple toss running plays where he can run outside or even some travell harris motion handoffs. Hopefully Leach adds a wrinkle or 2. This husky D doesn't have the speed of years past.

Reactions: sellas
Both Oregon and Cal had tremendous success using a Wham blocker on their inside run plays. Would absolutely love to see double back set with Borghi and Markoff as a surprise lead blocker or even with Kassidy woods help out by blocking in motion...

Both Oregon and Cal had tremendous success using a Wham blocker on their inside run plays. Would absolutely love to see double back set with Borghi and Markoff as a surprise lead blocker or even with Kassidy woods help out by blocking in motion...
Send to the big gulp guy. Call it big gulp,big back. Leach might use it if comes through the right channels.

That is why they are under .500. Small things like that lose games. Yes, for the most part it is talent, but you like the on-sides kick a coach can help put the team over the top.

That is why they are under .500. Small things like that lose games. Yes, for the most part it is talent, but you like the on-sides kick a coach can help put the team over the top.

Who's under .500?

It wasn't exactly a lock if you're the OSU DC, but a couple things that must have made this seem slightly less risky for them was:
  • Our multi-year track record of putting game-deciding plays on the shoulders of our QB to pass
  • Having 0:04 on the clock gave us a small possibility of getting two plays off with an incomplete, but if we ran it there, that's completely it. Had to have seemed better than a coin flip for the OSU DC on this basis alone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT