ADVERTISEMENT

Duplicate post-Ignore this one

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Now I doubt any of you smart folks here would fall for these scams, but you never know, so I thought I would share them with everyone.

The first one was a telephone scam that happened to get through the blocking software. The message was supposedly from Spectrum, and they said my monthly bill had been credited with a 50% discount and if I wanted to continue the offer in future months I needed to call the number they gave me. Immediately suspicious about that, I did search on Spectrum for $50 Spectrum discount (I didn't hear it correctly) and there were several results that were calling it a scam. The one I looked at said that if were to call the number they were just fishing for financial info/ID, like accounts or SSA #'s. Even miss hearing the message at $50 instead of the actual 50% they said was an immediate red flag, as you really can't expect any favors from any cable company.

The next scam was a particularly poor one, IMO. It was an email message (copied and pasted below) that for some reason didn't get shuffled off into the "Spam" folder and hit the Inbox. It was listed as being from Davina Mautner, which immediately was suspicious. Generally once an email like this that hits the preview pane gets deleted immediately, but I thought I would check a couple things for fun.

So here is how poor this effort was:
  • Sender listed in the Inbox and the signature at the end of the note don't match
  • Info in message is gobbledygook
  • No actual company name is provided
  • Incorrect grammar/spelling is always a tipoff-"ustomer"? lol
  • Nampa is in Idaho, not South Dakota
  • No "Wheeler Ridge Drive" comes up in South Dakota
  • Zip Code 42066 is in Kentucky
Greetings to Respected Client leadership ,

Thank you for deciding on our service #EVCXUJXICQWWE . I hope my assistance today was beneficial to you. We value your time and assistance.

ustomer Code : XJHE8D8CJF3O
Order ID : 11503
Transaction Date : 2024, Jan 26

Yours faithfully,

Sue Nimocks
Wheeler Ridge Dr, Nampa, South Dakota 42066

As the old Sergeant used to say in Hill Street Blues- "Hey, hey, hey, be careful out there!".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT