ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Covid at WSU and Pullman...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
Some interesting comments from the outgoing Public Health Director for Whitman County. He tendered his resignation on Wednesday. Interesting info regarding U of I at the end of the article as well.

Some interesting comments from the outgoing Public Health Director for Whitman County. He tendered his resignation on Wednesday. Interesting info regarding U of I at the end of the article as well.

Thanks for posting. It’s certainly an interesting idea.
Onenumber I’ve been unable to find for Whitman county is total number of active cases. Their current daily rate for new cases seems to align with what’s going on here in Ravalli county (MT). But I only seem to find the total of cases. Any insight on where that exists? My curiosity stemmed from my son coming home this weekend.

Onenumber I’ve been unable to find for Whitman county is total number of active cases. Their current daily rate for new cases seems to align with what’s going on here in Ravalli county (MT). But I only seem to find the total of cases. Any insight on where that exists? My curiosity stemmed from my son coming home this weekend.
All I could find SD was 5 currently hospitalized and 14 people have died while Covid 19 was in their system. I'm not sure if Whitman County even tracks active cases?

Interesting take...data out of Washington for schools that have some in-person learning happening are promising as well. Our 2 elementary kids have been to school in person (every day) for almost 2 full months and no outbreaks as of yet (fingers crossed).

Reactions: earldacoug

Coincidentally, the Spokane Regional Public Health Officer was just asked to resign or was removed.

His argument is either poorly explained, or seriously flawed.

"He told the Pullman School Board Wednesday night that WSU’s move to online instruction shows that keeping students in the classroom can actually help slow the spread of coronavirus"

So...coronavirus spread because classes were online, so having classes in person must be better? That argument doesn't even begin to make sense. I'm willing to guarantee that not a single student was exposed to coronavirus in an online class. The likelihood of exposure in a classroom is higher than it is in a virtual environment. That doesn't even need to be studied, it's just a fact.

"if those kids would have been in WSU classes with some adult supervision for seven hours a day, and had to actually get up and go to a class in the morning, it couldn't have really been worse."

How many college students are in class 7 hours a day? And can you really call an hour with a professor "adult supervision"? And yes, it could have been worse.

Now...it's absolutely undeniable that the return of students contributed significantly to the surge of infections in Whitman county. Infections were rare, and pretty well controlled, until the students came back. But the same would have occurred if classes were not online. The exposures were in social settings, not in classrooms, so the delivery method is essentially irrelevant. Where the problem arose was when the university and the city assumed that college students would not act like college students. Both entities believed that they could ask students nicely not to party and to maintain distancing - while also making clear that there were no consequences - and they would do it.

Big surprise...they didn't. It wasn't until they created consequences and actually started issuing fines and sanctions that the open gatherings and large parties stopped (or got hidden better). And then the university-related infections started falling dramatically. After about the first week of October, WSU cases stopped being the majority of daily infections...the spread is now in the community. But, that's at least partially due to students' failure to contain it. And, sorry but...the Greek system was the bigger issue. More than half of all WSU cases were Greeks.

The statement also ignores the fact that infection rates have also spiked in Moscow/Latah County, where UI has been attending in-person classes. They seem to be seeing spikes on Mondays, which are comparable to the daily case counts that Pullman was seeing a month ago. They're also climbing in Nez Perce county (Lewiston) at a pretty rapid rate (in fact, Idaho's rate is skyrocketing).

As far as active cases, I don't think Whitman County has the resources to track that.

"He told the Pullman School Board Wednesday night that WSU’s move to online instruction shows that keeping students in the classroom can actually help slow the spread of coronavirus"

So...coronavirus spread because classes were online, so having classes in person must be better? That argument doesn't even begin to make sense. I'm willing to guarantee that not a single student was exposed to coronavirus in an online class. The likelihood of exposure in a classroom is higher than it is in a virtual environment. That doesn't even need to be studied, it's just a fact.

"if those kids would have been in WSU classes with some adult supervision for seven hours a day, and had to actually get up and go to a class in the morning, it couldn't have really been worse."

How many college students are in class 7 hours a day? And can you really call an hour with a professor "adult supervision"? And yes, it could have been worse.

Now...it's absolutely undeniable that the return of students contributed significantly to the surge of infections in Whitman county. Infections were rare, and pretty well controlled, until the students came back. But the same would have occurred if classes were not online. The exposures were in social settings, not in classrooms, so the delivery method is essentially irrelevant. Where the problem arose was when the university and the city assumed that college students would not act like college students. Both entities believed that they could ask students nicely not to party and to maintain distancing - while also making clear that there were no consequences - and they would do it.

Big surprise...they didn't. It wasn't until they created consequences and actually started issuing fines and sanctions that the open gatherings and large parties stopped (or got hidden better). And then the university-related infections started falling dramatically. After about the first week of October, WSU cases stopped being the majority of daily infections...the spread is now in the community. But, that's at least partially due to students' failure to contain it. And, sorry but...the Greek system was the bigger issue. More than half of all WSU cases were Greeks.

The statement also ignores the fact that infection rates have also spiked in Moscow/Latah County, where UI has been attending in-person classes. They seem to be seeing spikes on Mondays, which are comparable to the daily case counts that Pullman was seeing a month ago. They're also climbing in Nez Perce county (Lewiston) at a pretty rapid rate (in fact, Idaho's rate is skyrocketing).

As far as active cases, I don't think Whitman County has the resources to track that.

I thought his "argument" was pretty simple. The spread of Covid couldn't be worse, and maybe if the students were more engaged in school instead of staring into a computer monitors or their phones the numbers might be like Idaho's. In the spirit of- if something is not working, try something else.

There are mis-truths in your argument, things that people seem to forget about when they talk about this subject. Specifically, the fact that unless the city/county/state/country goes into a complete lockdown, there will ALWAYS be a spike in "cases". Always. And circling back around, we as a nation were told that we're "flattening the curve" so as to not overload the hospitals. Notice how conveniently "curve" numbers are no longer the en-vogue thing to refer to, its "cases".

I'm no conspiracy hack, but its that kind of stuff that makes me wonder wtf is really going on with the pandemic. The curve has been flattened, and even in the states that have been having "large" outbreaks and hospitalizations we've yet to hear about over-stressed systems. Its all just fear-mongering bullshit. I'm exhausted of it.

"Hey, we've made the decision to put 17k kids together and then we're going to act shocked when a single one of them tests positive for an infection that has less than 0.01% chance of killing them and then virtue signal so everyone knows how seriously we're taking it."

states that have been having "large" outbreaks and hospitalizations we've yet to hear about over-stressed systems " Guess you haven't heard about Kootenai County, ID (CDA) full medical centers sending patients to Seattle.

states that have been having "large" outbreaks and hospitalizations we've yet to hear about over-stressed systems " Guess you haven't heard about Kootenai County, ID (CDA) full medical centers sending patients to Seattle.

Or you can look at the real numbers....

There's 32 critical care beds in Kootenai county. 13 are COVID.

Doesn't say how many are either occupied with something else but it's not like there's 60 COVID cases and 30 beds....

ICU patients generally get transported between Spokane and Kootenai County when beds aren't available one way or the other. My father actually died in CDA after starting at Valley General.

Th
Thanks for the link. So it’s at 1,824 since the outbreak began. That aligns with what I saw from the county site. But no indication of active cases.

Maybe active cases are not tracked in Whitman county. I can’t find it. In Montana we can see the new cases, active cases, total cases, deaths, and hospitalizations pretty easily. Seems as though Washington data would be much more available than what we can do in our little old state.

There are mis-truths in your argument, things that people seem to forget about when they talk about this subject. Specifically, the fact that unless the city/county/state/country goes into a complete lockdown, there will ALWAYS be a spike in "cases". Always. And circling back around, we as a nation were told that we're "flattening the curve" so as to not overload the hospitals. Notice how conveniently "curve" numbers are no longer the en-vogue thing to refer to, its "cases".

I'm no conspiracy hack, but its that kind of stuff that makes me wonder wtf is really going on with the pandemic. The curve has been flattened, and even in the states that have been having "large" outbreaks and hospitalizations we've yet to hear about over-stressed systems. Its all just fear-mongering bullshit. I'm exhausted of it.

"Hey, we've made the decision to put 17k kids together and then we're going to act shocked when a single one of them tests positive for an infection that has less than 0.01% chance of killing them and then virtue signal so everyone knows how seriously we're taking it."
Inconsistent messaging is about the only thing that’s been consistent.

In spite of the fact that it’s not being reported this way, we did flatten the curve. There are fewer deaths now, and that’s the curve that matters. Infections are more and more in young people who will recover, and also are increasingly either mild cases or asymptomatic ones - which weren’t being identified in April. If you’re looking purely at number of infections...then things are worse.

Reactions: kougkurt
I thought his "argument" was pretty simple. The spread of Covid couldn't be worse, and maybe if the students were more engaged in school instead of staring into a computer monitors or their phones the numbers might be like Idaho's. In the spirit of- if something is not working, try something else.
Idaho’s rates aren’t something to emulate anymore.

The spread could definitely be worse. Whitman county at its worst was nowhere near a half dozen other counties in Washington. The per capita infection rate that put Pullman in the national news a few weeks ago is a statistic created purely to create a headline. It’s not really a very meaningful number.

And, in a consequence-free environment, students were going to party. It makes no difference whether classes are online or in the classroom. The other factor that’s neglected is that if classes were live, there would have been even more students in town.

if those kids would have been in WSU classes with some adult supervision for seven hours a day, and had to actually get up and go to a class in the morning, it couldn't have really been worse."

Based on experience with the pandemic, there is probably no Public Health Director less qualified to opine on COVID than the Public Health Director for Whitman County. No doubt close adult supervision for 7 hours a day would stop the spread of the virus. Of course, if you are taking 35 credit hours a semester, you are probably at pretty low risk for COVID. You will be studying 18 hours a day.

He should rise quickly through the ranks at the DoD.

Reactions: SDCoug
Bugs me when the headline reads "Coronavirus death'. It should read "Another death of a person who had Coronavirus in their system at time of death"
Just a hunch, but that would probably bug the families of healthy 30/40 year olds dying from old age with Coronavirus in their systems.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Just a hunch, but that would probably bug the families of healthy 30/40 year olds dying from old age with Coronavirus in their systems.
Just my opinion...that's all. For sure, the virus itself does in fact cause people to die. But to say and believe ALL of the deaths attributed to the virus are CAUSED by the virus... well, I have some swampland in Florida I would like to talk to you about.

Just my opinion...that's all. For sure, the virus itself does in fact cause people to die. But to say and believe ALL of the deaths attributed to the virus are CAUSED by the virus... well, I have some swampland in Florida I would like to talk to you about.
I’m not gonna believe all of anything when you’re talking about numbers like this. But on the other side I’m not believing 5X the normal year of pneumonia deaths in Florida is just a coincidence. There’s also people who have died of it who haven’t been counted. Works both ways.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I’m not gonna believe all of anything when you’re talking about numbers like this. But on the other side I’m not believing 5X the normal year of pneumonia deaths in Florida is just a coincidence. There’s also people who have died of it who haven’t been counted. Works both ways.
We agree to disagree...

Reactions: Coug90
The methodology has been flawed from the start. Before widespread testing, any person showing upper respiratory illness was being counted as a COVID case, based on the doctors best judgement. By the way, these were Dr's who didn't yet know what the illness really looked like, all of the symptoms, etc... but yeah, go ahead and make a guess.

I'm not sure if this has changed, but any person who dies with SarsCov2 in their system gets counted as a COVID death. Family of 4 dies in a car crash, but mom and dad test positive for Covid? Yep, covid death. PEOPLE IN FREAKING HOSPICE are being counted as COVID deaths. Let that sink in for a second... I mean, yes technically the onset of covid symptoms expedited their passing, but its disingenuous at best to count these as deaths as a direct result of the virus. In other words: if they weren't already terminal, would they have survived the virus? No one knows, which is exactly why its dishonest to count those numbers.

**edit - know what would help me reconcile this, mentally? Post the numbers with a margin of error. +/- 5%, whatever. At least acknowledge that the methodology is imperfect. We're making policy off of this information, and when there is a lack of transparency it feels an awful lot like lying to push an agenda. But thats just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikalalas

If someone with stage four cancer dies in a car accident, should it be reported they died of cancer? I heard Herman Cain died of his stage four cancer, not the fact he had covid, or that is at least someone who believes the deaths are grossly over exaggerated.

What I don't get is people just don't accept the numbers. Even if I believe the numbers are off by 50%, there are 99,999 more deaths than what the President said there would be in April of this year.

Just treat the people who are dying whether is is 230k or 130k as casualties of war and simply say you/we are ok with it.

The methodology has been flawed from the start. Before widespread testing, any person showing upper respiratory illness was being counted as a COVID case, based on the doctors best judgement. By the way, these were Dr's who didn't yet know what the illness really looked like, all of the symptoms, etc... but yeah, go ahead and make a guess.

I'm not sure if this has changed, but any person who dies with SarsCov2 in their system gets counted as a COVID death. Family of 4 dies in a car crash, but mom and dad test positive for Covid? Yep, covid death. PEOPLE IN FREAKING HOSPICE are being counted as COVID deaths. Let that sink in for a second... I mean, yes technically the onset of covid symptoms expedited their passing, but its disingenuous at best to count these as deaths as a direct result of the virus. In other words: if they weren't already terminal, would they have survived the virus? No one knows, which is exactly why its dishonest to count those numbers.

Where are you getting your data that shows family of four who died in a car accident and had covid in their system were marked as dying from the virus?

Where are you getting your data that shows family of four who died in a car accident and had covid in their system were marked as dying from the virus?
I was making an example. That was an extreme one to make a point, but it goes to the same point of the hospice cases.

There were specific cases of other causes of death yet the death cert being marked as Covid. I'm headed out, but google is your friend.

If someone with stage four cancer dies in a car accident, should it be reported they died of cancer? I heard Herman Cain died of his stage four cancer, not the fact he had covid, or that is at least someone who believes the deaths are grossly over exaggerated.

What I don't get is people just don't accept the numbers. Even if I believe the numbers are off by 50%, there are 99,999 more deaths than what the President said there would be in April of this year.

Just treat the people who are dying whether is is 230k or 130k as casualties of war and simply say you/we are ok with it.
Ok.

I'm ok with it.

Its a disease with no cure that we STILL don't really know how it spreads and people are knowingly taking their lives into their own hands by gathering and not masking. I DON'T believe in martial law so we can move the needle from 0.1% to 0.05%. Yes, thats a lot of people but again, people are knowingly taking risks.

There are many, many instances of state directors of health being asked point blank "If someone dies as a direct result of an accident, say a car crash, and has Covid in their system, are they counted as a Covid death?" Their answer is invariably "Yes".

Ok.

I'm ok with it.

Its a disease with no cure that we STILL don't really know how it spreads and people are knowingly taking their lives into their own hands by gathering and not masking. I DON'T believe in martial law so we can move the needle from 0.1% to 0.05%. Yes, thats a lot of people but again, people are knowingly taking risks.

I appreciate the hinesty.

If you were around in the early 40's I trust you would have been against martial law that Roosevelt instituted.

And I thought I heard Trump tell Bob Woodward that the viurs is spread via respiratory droplets...maybe I misheard him.

If I die in a car accident can one of you guys make sure the records show I died of liver failure? I want to go down swinging damnit.

• Haha
Reactions: CougEd and 79COUG
If I die in a car accident can one of you guys make sure the records show I died of liver failure? I want to go down swinging damnit.
Now THAT made me laugh! Perhaps have the record show there two Playboy playmates with me at the time? Make for a hell of an obituary...

Reactions: Coug90
Now THAT made me laugh! Perhaps have the record show there two Playboy playmates with me at the time? Make for a hell of an obituary...
This is not a joke, though.

A dad is fighting the hospitals and courts to have his daughter's cause of death changed because after the autopsy they found she didn't have Covid at all, despite every medical authority diagnosing her with it (pre-tests). Again, google is your friend (Its saturday, I'm being lazy)

Lived like a Coug, died like a Coug. In lieu of flowers please drink one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer and then donate to the CAF. If you are a husky, GFY.

The ONLY numbers that matter to me, and should matter to others, COVID wise, is:

In WA: ABOUT 100,000 INFECTED.

ABOUT 2000 Dead.

ABOUT a 2% Mortality Rate.

FLU: ABOUT a 1% Mortality Rate.

USA: ABOUT 5 million infected cases: About 100,000 cases per state times 50 states.

ABOUT 150,000 Dead.

ABOUT a 2.5% Mortality Rate

FLU: about 1%

ABOUT 5% to 25% are hospitalized.

ABOUT 5% to 10% of those hospitalized die.

ABOUT 89% of Covid Deaths are those who are ABOUT 57+ years old and have conditions such as bad medical conditions, etc.

ABOUT 99.3% of younger people, kids, dont die to the Virus.

ABOUT 3% to 5% to 7% of those few, some, younger people, kids, that uncommonly dont get the virus as often, are hospitalized due to the virus.

If one socially distances, wears a mask, wash hands, wash mask, wash clothes, have good hygene frequently, dont touch surfaces that likely might probably have virus, an or at least not touching your face, clothes, and washing hands, etc, afterwards.

If one is cautious and careful, they probably wont get virus.

And if do get Covid, if one is OBSERVANT, cautious, careful, gets themselves tested, treated, reported to, at Hospital, Doctors Office, etc.

In other words if you use a grain of common sense, one will probably be ok.

And even if one dies, the Mortality Rate is still ONLY about 2.25%

Based on the above numbers and info, LOCKDOWNS are NOT needed.

Also the CDC, WHO are saying that LOCKDOWNS are not good, and that Governments should NOT lockdown.

And the ONE SIZE fits all lockdown approach is not good.

And cities, mayors, city councils, county commisioners, USUALLY KNOW BETTER THEN SOME GOVERNOR, USA PRESIDENT about what their city, county needs, needs to do about, in regards to Covid, etc, and that Governors, USA president should NOT try to DICTATE a ONE SIZE FITS ALL Approach, Lockdown, to all, most, cities, states.

This is the only numbers, info, etc, that matters to me Covid wise, and should be the only numbers, info, etc, that matters to people, governmental leaders.

PS NOTE:

The ABOUT 5 million Covid infection cases in USA, is only ABOUT 17% of the total USA population.

And the 150,000 Dead, from Covid, in the USA, is ONLY ABOUT:

3 Million Dead would be 10% of total population.

1 Million Dead would be 1/3 of that for about 3.3% of population

150,000 dead would be about 1/7th of the 3.3% of 1 Million dead.

Since I cant figure that out off the top of my head, and dont have a calculator.

Thats about 1/2 of 1% or about .55% Mortality Rate chance that any 1 of the 300 million people in the USA will, would get Covid.

For Perspective comparison the FLU is ABOUT a .17% to .25% to .33% Mortality Rate Chance that any 1 person out of 300 million people in the USA dies of the FLU

This is NOT to Trivialize Covid.

Covid is still a serious thing.

But there is a LOT of OVERREACTION, taking things like LOCKDOWNS WAY TO FAR.

Last edited:
The ONLY numbers that matter to me, and should matter to others, COVID wise, is:

In WA: ABOUT 100,000 INFECTED.

ABOUT 2000 Dead.

ABOUT a 2% Mortality Rate.

FLU: ABOUT a 1% Mortality Rate.

USA: ABOUT 5 million infected cases: About 100,000 cases per state times 50 states.

ABOUT 150,000 Dead.

ABOUT a 2.5% Mortality Rate

FLU: about 1%

ABOUT 5% to 25% are hospitalized.

ABOUT 5% to 10% of those hospitalized die.

ABOUT 89% of Covid Deaths are those who are ABOUT 57+ years old and have conditions such as bad medical conditions, etc.

ABOUT 99.3% of younger people, kids, dont die to the Virus.

ABOUT 3% to 5% to 7% of those few, some, younger people, kids, that uncommonly dont get the virus as often, are hospitalized due to the virus.

If one socially distances, wears a mask, wash hands, wash mask, wash clothes, have good hygene frequently, dont touch surfaces that likely might probably have virus, an or at least not touching your face, clothes, and washing hands, etc, afterwards.

If one is cautious and careful, they probably wont get virus.

And if do get Covid, if one is OBSERVANT, cautious, careful, gets themselves tested, treated, reported to, at Hospital, Doctors Office, etc.

In other words if you use a grain of common sense, one will probably be ok.

And even if one dies, the Mortality Rate is still ONLY about 2.25%

Based on the above numbers and info, LOCKDOWNS are NOT needed.

Also the CDC, WHO are saying that LOCKDOWNS are not good, and that Governments should NOT lockdown.

And the ONE SIZE fits all lockdown approach is not good.

And cities, mayors, city councils, county commisioners, USUALLY KNOW BETTER THEN SOME GOVERNOR, USA PRESIDENT about what their city, county needs, needs to do about, in regards to Covid, etc, and that Governors, USA president should NOT try to DICTATE a ONE SIZE FITS ALL Approach, Lockdown, to all, most, cities, states.

This is the only numbers, info, etc, that matters to me Covid wise, and should be the only numbers, info, etc, that matters to people, governmental leaders.

PS NOTE:

The ABOUT 5 million Covid infection cases in USA, is only ABOUT 17% of the total USA population.

And the 150,000 Dead, from Covid, in the USA, is ONLY ABOUT:

3 Million Dead would be 10% of total population.

1 Million Dead would be 1/3 of that for about 3.3% of population

150,000 dead would be about 1/7th of the 3.3% of 1 Million dead.

Since I cant figure that out off the top of my head, and dont have a calculator.

Thats about 1/2 of 1% or about .55% Mortality Rate chance that any 1 of the 300 million people in the USA will, would get Covid.

For Perspective comparison the FLU is ABOUT a .17% to .25% to .33% Mortality Rate Chance that any 1 person out of 300 million people in the USA dies of the FLU

This is NOT to Trivialize Covid.

Covid is still a serious thing.

But there is a LOT of OVERREACTION, taking things like LOCKDOWNS WAY TO FAR.
NONE of us want lockdowns. Calm down lil buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT