ADVERTISEMENT

Regionalization of College Football

COCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 23, 2004
One of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic is that trends that were already in place have dramatically accelerated. Especially in business, we have seen many well-known businesses that were slowly fading, like Brooks Brothers, JC Penney, and Hertz suddenly declare bankruptcy, and whole industries like movie theaters and shopping malls that were already in decline are unlikely to ever recover. Conversely, companies like Amazon and Netflix that were slowly growing have exploded.

The exact same thing is happening in college football. Basically football in the West and Midwest were on a decades-long decline. Each year it seems like the realistic chances of a PAC12 team making the playoff fades earlier in the season. In 6 years we have been included twice and won just one game, which was in 2014-15. Remember the PAC12 Network clinging to hope in November that Utah might still have a chance of sneaking in, while at the same every fan thinking how they would be utterly destroyed by a Clemson or Alabama. Except for Ohio State and the always-overrated Notre Dame, the same trend has been in place in the Midwest. Because of CTE (and video games), high school football in the West and Midwest is in a steady decline. Just like college football in the nation’s most populous region, the Northeast, has been irrelevant for 40 years.

With COVID-19, this trend goes into overdrive. Cancelling the fall season is resulting in transfers and star players opting out, but the bigger effect will be recruiting. High school players from the north and west are transferring down to high schools in the southeast, and recruits are being drawn to conferences that seem more likely to keep playing. Even if they all end up canceling this fall, the wheels are moving faster. Again, this trend has been present for a long, long time. But when the time comes that college football is fully resumed, I expect the playoff to consistently feature 3 SEC teams, with an ACC team or a Ohio State or an Oklahoma fighting for that last spot. USC will continue to get ranked in the bottom of the top-25 in the preseason poll, but quickly fall out, just like Nebraska every year. I think we will remain a “P5” conference, because it will serve their purpose to create the illusion of a “national” championship, but in reality, it will be a regional sport, where all of the contenders are within 5 or 6 states. Its actually what happens to many sports- water polo is pretty much just California, ditto beach volleyball, wrestling is mainly in the mid-west, lacrosse in the northeast. Its just shocking how quickly this is going to go down.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Long before COVID made its presence known, I had always been an advocate for more regional scheduling. The geographies of the major football conferences, including the G5, require significant travel for teams as it is, and playing cross country makes no sense for student athletes. Sure it would be fun see cross sectional blue blood programs play WSU, but in the big picture, I think it’s excessive.

I hope there’s a strong emphasis towards regional scheduling moving forward. Let the postseason settle any arguments about which region was superior.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
No doubt that the pandemic is exposing a lot of long known truths and trends. The irrelevance of the Pac-12 on the national radar is being exposed without a doubt. Until the playoff is expanded, and it will get expanded, we are second fiddle.

Another truth being exposed by the Big 12, ACC and SEC is that there is no such thing as a student athlete in their world. College Football is a business that happens to be based on college campuses and to them, has nothing to do with academics or university life. I wish that WSU and the Pac-12 was playing this year, but at least they pretend that college football has something to do with being a student athlete.

I like Biggs idea of scheduling regionally and using a playoff to settle arguments. The SEC's habit of staying at home and telling everyone else to take a leap fosters inequities that we shouldn't be party too. I've gone to both Auburn games and had a good time, but I don't know that we "owe" them any more one and dones.

Another truth being exposed by the Big 12, ACC and SEC is that there is no such thing as a student athlete in their world. College Football is a business that happens to be based on college campuses and to them, has nothing to do with academics or university life.
I can't remember where I heard it, but some podcast--perhaps the First Things podcast--talked about university life. They mentioned that in Bolivia, or somewhere in Latin America, they basically gave up the pretense of the "student athlete" for universities. Their fútbol teams are bascially professional teams. They just put university logos on their uniforms and are the "school team."

One of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic is that trends that were already in place have dramatically accelerated. Especially in business, we have seen many well-known businesses that were slowly fading, like Brooks Brothers, JC Penney, and Hertz suddenly declare bankruptcy, and whole industries like movie theaters and shopping malls that were already in decline are unlikely to ever recover. Conversely, companies like Amazon and Netflix that were slowly growing have exploded.

The exact same thing is happening in college football. Basically football in the West and Midwest were on a decades-long decline. Each year it seems like the realistic chances of a PAC12 team making the playoff fades earlier in the season. In 6 years we have been included twice and won just one game, which was in 2014-15. Remember the PAC12 Network clinging to hope in November that Utah might still have a chance of sneaking in, while at the same every fan thinking how they would be utterly destroyed by a Clemson or Alabama. Except for Ohio State and the always-overrated Notre Dame, the same trend has been in place in the Midwest. Because of CTE (and video games), high school football in the West and Midwest is in a steady decline. Just like college football in the nation’s most populous region, the Northeast, has been irrelevant for 40 years.

With COVID-19, this trend goes into overdrive. Cancelling the fall season is resulting in transfers and star players opting out, but the bigger effect will be recruiting. High school players from the north and west are transferring down to high schools in the southeast, and recruits are being drawn to conferences that seem more likely to keep playing. Even if they all end up canceling this fall, the wheels are moving faster. Again, this trend has been present for a long, long time. But when the time comes that college football is fully resumed, I expect the playoff to consistently feature 3 SEC teams, with an ACC team or a Ohio State or an Oklahoma fighting for that last spot. USC will continue to get ranked in the bottom of the top-25 in the preseason poll, but quickly fall out, just like Nebraska every year. I think we will remain a “P5” conference, because it will serve their purpose to create the illusion of a “national” championship, but in reality, it will be a regional sport, where all of the contenders are within 5 or 6 states. Its actually what happens to many sports- water polo is pretty much just California, ditto beach volleyball, wrestling is mainly in the mid-west, lacrosse in the northeast. Its just shocking how quickly this is going to go down.

Accelerating formation of the super-conferences.

Money will ultimately drive any and all decisions moving forward, but I would love to see the P12 take a regionalized / student athlete focus and thumb their noses at the other power 5 conferences. Let them sell on football at all costs, and let us sell on West is Best. If they want to exclude the West coast from the National title game, fine. Whatever. It's only a matter of time before there will be a playoff, and then the P12 champ will get in.

The P12 should lock arms with the Mountain West and focus most of their OOC scheduling with each other and the Big Sky. Build the West coast product with West coast fans and with West coast TV deals. The rest of the Nation doesn't care about, and due to time zone differences, can't watch the West coast games anyway. Stop chasing the white whale and focus on football West of the Rockies.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT