ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant recommendation Moscow

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
Daughter turns 19 end of this month. I want to take her to Moscow, where we can sit down, for a birthday dinner. What's good there? Chugs, don't you live in the area?

There are a couple pretty good places to eat around town. We usually hit Nectar if looking for gourmet comfort food, or Maialina's for country Italian. A lot of people also like the Lodgepole as well as the Sangria Grill. Those four are probably on the pricier end for Moscow. For a little less money, we've always had great luck with the Mad Greek and Gambinos. What kind of food and price range are you talking about?

My personal fav in Moscow is Sangria. Worked there for a bit and it was awesome seeing all the local folks deliver their food. Owners were great too, paid us all 13.50$ an hour + tips/staff per day. The Ale house over there is good. Maialina is the same owners pizza place and is great. Breakfast club, tapped taphouse, lodgepole. All great. Pullman places may be open by then if I read the convoluted rules right...

To Ruffrider's list above I would add La Casa Lopez which is in the middle of downtown and Winger's which is on the way out of town towards Troy. La Casa is a good Mexican restaurant and Wingers is a decent wings and hamburger place.

There are a couple pretty good places to eat around town. We usually hit Nectar if looking for gourmet comfort food, or Maialina's for country Italian. A lot of people also like the Lodgepole as well as the Sangria Grill. Those four are probably on the pricier end for Moscow. For a little less money, we've always had great luck with the Mad Greek and Gambinos. What kind of food and price range are you talking about?
Something where you get a pretty good meal without breaking the bank. Not a chain. Perhaps Gambinos?

Something where you get a pretty good meal without breaking the bank. Not a chain. Perhaps Gambinos?
Gambinos and Casa Lopez would be at the top of my list then. (Casa Lopez probably does the best Carne Asada I've ever had -- not sure how I managed to forget mentioning it in my previous post.) Enjoy dinner and the time with your daughter!

Reactions: 79COUG
Gambinos and Casa Lopez would be at the top of my list then. (Casa Lopez probably does the best Carne Asada I've ever had -- not sure how I managed to forget mentioning it in my previous post.) Enjoy dinner and the time with your daughter!
Thanks for the advice, Ruff.

My personal fav in Moscow is Sangria. Worked there for a bit and it was awesome seeing all the local folks deliver their food. Owners were great too, paid us all 13.50$ an hour + tips/staff per day. The Ale house over there is good. Maialina is the same owners pizza place and is great. Breakfast club, tapped taphouse, lodgepole. All great. Pullman places may be open by then if I read the convoluted rules right...

I was in Pullman last weekend and went to Sangria grill and enjoyed the food.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and 79COUG
If weather is lousy on the Palouse when you make the trip and your daughter is ready for a change of pace and scenery, another good option would be to head down to Lewiston and eat at Jollymores. The L-C Valley is a pretty nice option to have around around here for some mid winter sunshine.

Casa Lopez has been there doing Mexican food for many years, under one or two other names. Casa de Oro was just prior to Casa Lopez. It always was good food, and when I saw the topic I was planning to post exactly what you said-the Carne Asada is the best I have ever had! VERY tasty and tender steak.

Dang, thinking about that now has my mouth watering like my beagle's as he sits patiently waiting for me to give him bites from whatever I am eating. At least I am keeping it in the mouth instead of drooling all over like he does. :D

Thanks MI. I'm leaning towards Sangria at this point!

Please give us a review afterward. My son will be in Pullman next school year, and I've been, I guess, removed from the food scene in Pullman for 20+ years.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Daughter turns 19 end of this month. I want to take her to Moscow, where we can sit down, for a birthday dinner. What's good there? Chugs, don't you live in the area?
79 what hall is your daughter living in ? My daughter was set to live I think in Global or Northside the first semester but stayed home. She is in Rogers which was not coed back in the day . It wasn’t her first five choices but seemed to work out as five of her Sorority sisters (freshmen) are scattered on different floors in Rogers hall.

Thanks MI. I'm leaning towards Sangria at this point!
I recommend the Lomo Saltado, or Asado Borracho as the main. And then coconut shrimp, avocado egg rolls, and empanadas as apps.
The lomo is true filet mignon chunks fried with onions, tomatoes, and green onions with fries mixed in a sweet savory soy sauce with rice I believe.
And the asado borracho is strip that soaks in beer infused with garlic and their special spice mix with plenty of msg. Comes with rice and fried banana chunks & beans.

Their apps are all amazing too. Coconut shrimp is hand peeled, cleaned, starched and breaded there. The empanada mix is hand made minced sirloin with a bunch of minced raisins, sautéed onions and other good sh*t mixed into their own dough. And the avocado egg rolls are Avocado, sun dried tomato, carmalized onions, with a good tamarind sauce. All house made.

I worked there in 2014 so it may have changed a bit, but it was so good back in the day.

79 what hall is your daughter living in ? My daughter was set to live I think in Global or Northside the first semester but stayed home. She is in Rogers which was not coed back in the day . It wasn’t her first five choices but seemed to work out as five of her Sorority sisters (freshmen) are scattered on different floors in Rogers hall.
Northside.

I recommend the Lomo Saltado, or Asado Borracho as the main. And then coconut shrimp, avocado egg rolls, and empanadas as apps.
The lomo is true filet mignon chunks fried with onions, tomatoes, and green onions with fries mixed in a sweet savory soy sauce with rice I believe.
And the asado borracho is strip that soaks in beer infused with garlic and their special spice mix with plenty of msg. Comes with rice and fried banana chunks & beans.

Their apps are all amazing too. Coconut shrimp is hand peeled, cleaned, starched and breaded there. The empanada mix is hand made minced sirloin with a bunch of minced raisins, sautéed onions and other good sh*t mixed into their own dough. And the avocado egg rolls are Avocado, sun dried tomato, carmalized onions, with a good tamarind sauce. All house made.

I worked there in 2014 so it may have changed a bit, but it was so good back in the day.
Awesome, Chugs. Thank you very much for those suggestions! I'll jot them down and take them along. (never knew you were Anthony Frickin Bourdain reincarnate!)

Reactions: chugspig
Awesome, Chugs. Thank you very much for those suggestions! I'll jot them down and take them along. (never knew you were Anthony Frickin Bourdain reincarnate!)
If breakfast comes into play, definitely hit The Breakfast Club. Damn good. Much better than the Old European and a lot less money. Salivating just thinking about it.

On a side note, I find it wild that so many of us have freshman kids in Pullman this year. Of course, I knew about your daughter. But Ed as well? Then you have DGib next year and an outside chance with Flat and M-I. Can’t remember a time where there was this much chatter on the board about our kids heading off to be Cougs. Maybe I’m just paying more attention now.

I tried. Daughter heading to San Diego State next Fall. Couldn’t pass up the sun.

I tried. Daughter heading to San Diego State next Fall. Couldn’t pass up the sun.
We have good friends whose son is at SDSU. My daughter in Pullman has a bball teammate from HS and a soccer teammate from high school at SDSU. The hoop-er getting to play, I don't know about the soccer player.

The sun is a definite attraction. i used reverse phycology. I never encouraged her to go to WSU. A matter of fact she cried when she told me because she was thinking she let me down.

But she fell in love with the campus, the setting even when we visited during the most stringent part of the covid lock down.

If breakfast comes into play, definitely hit The Breakfast Club. Damn good. Much better than the Old European and a lot less money. Salivating just thinking about it.

On a side note, I find it wild that so many of us have freshman kids in Pullman this year. Of course, I knew about your daughter. But Ed as well? Then you have DGib next year and an outside chance with Flat and M-I. Can’t remember a time where there was this much chatter on the board about our kids heading off to be Cougs. Maybe I’m just paying more attention now.
If your kids are all on the typical WSU 6 year program I got a couple that will be joining them when they are super-seniors.
I hope for your wallets’ sake they are not!

Reactions: SDCoug
We have good friends whose son is at SDSU. My daughter in Pullman has a bball teammate from HS and a soccer teammate from high school at SDSU. The hoop-er getting to play, I don't know about the soccer player.
My nephew, her cousin, is a freshman this year.

I definitely don't disagree with any of the suggestions. For a nice sit-down I would say Lodgepole. On the pricy end for Moscow, but a bargain anywhere else. To throw out a new name, I would consider the Hunga Dunga Brewery. I'm a sucker for brewpub food, but they have a beef and noodle dish that I had once but think about a lot still....

I've thought about that as well,SD.
My daughter came along later in my life. I'm looking 60 square in the eye this year. Thought most of the guys on here were already there. Either they're in the same boat as I or I was mistaken about the demographic of the board.

Reactions: SDCoug
My daughter came along later in my life. I'm looking 60 square in the eye this year. Thought most of the guys on here were already there. Either they're in the same boat as I or I was mistaken about the demographic of the board.

You and I are on the same airline to 60.

Reactions: 79COUG and SDCoug
I’m not far behind. 56 in nine days. With one more graduating high school this year.

Whatever happened to Treaty Grounds?

Whatever happened to Treaty Grounds?

I believe it closed its doors in the 2002 - 2003 time frame and the building became the site for Sangria Grille. (That's about the time I came back to the Palouse, and remember the building undergoing remodel for the Sangria Grille. I have zero recollection of the Treaty Grounds, so am guessing its run coincided with my 15 year absence from the area.)

Reactions: cougcowboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT