ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched the end of the Apple Cup

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
So I rewatched the end of the game just to get a better sense of the insanity of that final 1:30. One thing that happened that pissed me off at the time but forgot in the midst of everything else is how quick the officials were to blow plays dead and reset the clock to give the mutts more time. We snapped the ball at 1:04, ran a play and somehow only used 2 seconds. In the 1997 Rose Bowl....they wouldn't give us credit for spiking the ball in 2 seconds. I still want my 2nd second back.

It happened all game but it was amazing to see the lack of discipline by the mutts in that final minute. Three penalties in that final minute. Valdez for UW might be player of the game. He kept two of our drives alive with offsides penalties where he made contact with the center. Special level of stupid to manage that feat. The one shot of Jedd Fisch looking out onto the field after one of the penalties with the look of "what the f#ck are you guys doing?" was pretty hilarious.

After seeing so many games where WSU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, it was pretty refreshing to have the mutts return the favor.

So I rewatched the end of the game just to get a better sense of the insanity of that final 1:30. One thing that happened that pissed me off at the time but forgot in the midst of everything else is how quick the officials were to blow plays dead and reset the clock to give the mutts more time. We snapped the ball at 1:04, ran a play and somehow only used 2 seconds. In the 1997 Rose Bowl....they wouldn't give us credit for spiking the ball in 2 seconds. I still want my 2nd second back.

It happened all game but it was amazing to see the lack of discipline by the mutts in that final minute. Three penalties in that final minute. Valdez for UW might be player of the game. He kept two of our drives alive with offsides penalties where he made contact with the center. Special level of stupid to manage that feat. The one shot of Jedd Fisch looking out onto the field after one of the penalties with the look of "what the f#ck are you guys doing?" was pretty hilarious.

After seeing so many games where WSU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, it was pretty refreshing to have the mutts return the favor.
I liked how the umpire kept putting time back on the clock, so our plays only took 2 seconds each. Then, when it was all decided and there was nothing left for UW’s hopes…he took it from 34 to 16 and let the clock run.

I liked how the umpire kept putting time back on the clock, so our plays only took 2 seconds each. Then, when it was all decided and there was nothing left for UW’s hopes…he took it from 34 to 16 and let the clock run.
Yeah I made a joke when they jumped offsides…offsides, defense, please put 10 seconds back on the clock.

That was ridiculous. There’s literally not a play that you can run outside of a spike that only takes 2 seconds.

Sure looked like Edson was held on the 4th-and-1, but still managed to make the play on Rogers. Thorton deserves a lot of praise after being a weak link last year. He's had a really good season start. Loved the instant reaction of the mutt fans. "What happened?" and I think "WTF".

Sure looked like Edson was held on the 4th-and-1, but still managed to make the play on Rogers. Thorton deserves a lot of praise after being a weak link last year. He's had a really good season start. Loved the instant reaction of the mutt fans. "What happened?" and I think "WTF".

lol of course he was! Did you miss the end of last years AC there was like 4 tackles on their 4th and 1. It’s what they do.

Reactions: 79COUG

Love watching the poor mutt fans looks of sadness and disbelief. And our fans (looks like there ended up being a shitload there, good job Coug) going wild. A goal line stuff for the win is even better than a last second TD IMHO.

I watched Mateer's 2nd TD a couple more times. What a thing of beauty. RB and center leading and crushing the LB, WR's blocking 15 yards downfield. The one mutt rusher went to the wrong side of the center which helped.

Love watching the poor mutt fans looks of sadness and disbelief. And our fans (looks like there ended up being a shitload there, good job Coug) going wild. A goal line stuff for the win is even better than a last second TD IMHO.

I watched Mateer's 2nd TD a couple more times. What a thing of beauty. RB and center leading and crushing the LB, WR's blocking 15 yards downfield. The one mutt rusher went to the wrong side of the center which helped.
Yeah, great run and well executed in terms of blocking by the entire team. Belichick & Fisch trying to figure out WTF just happened was a fun watch!

Sure looked like Edson was held on the 4th-and-1, but still managed to make the play on Rogers.
I didn't think so. Fully engaged and driving. Grabbing jersey in itself isn't holding, but using it to an advantage.

With that said, Edson did a great job fighting off the block and not giving up ground.

Too bad the camera guys couldn't find a husky fan as honest as this lady:

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
After watching the last play a few times, it was hard not to conclude that almost the whole team was keying on Coleman (and rightfully so, IMHO). When he started to the UW right, our whole team moved that direction. And because it was the short side of the field, there was simply nowhere for either the QB or the RB to go. That play might not have been a joke if they were on the left hash. But what dummy called it from the right hash? Gift wrapped...

After watching the last play a few times, it was hard not to conclude that almost the whole team was keying on Coleman (and rightfully so, IMHO). When he started to the UW right, our whole team moved that direction. And because it was the short side of the field, there was simply nowhere for either the QB or the RB to go. That play might not have been a joke if they were on the left hash. But what dummy called it from the right hash? Gift wrapped...
And...they called timeout to get to that play. Apparently they were going to send Coleman up the middle - which was probably the right call - but didn't like the defensive alignment so they called timeout. I can't believe that when they broke the huddle and saw the defensive alignment again, they didn't change again. That play had zero chance of success from the moment it started - the whole WSU defense saw the direction and got a good jump.

My playcall coming out of the timeout was play action - fake the plunge to Coleman, which the entire D would have crashed on, and then throw the short curl route to the TE standing where the LBs used to be. Fisch outcoached himself.

But...if we had kicked the FG on our first drive, it wouldn't have mattered much. If Janikowski also hadn't shanked another FG, it wouldn't have mattered at all.

Reactions: earldacoug
Too bad the camera guys couldn't find a husky fan as honest as this lady:

In the UT/UTSA game there was a UT fan they panned to who had her arms extended and said the exact same thing.

I heard "Huge Mellon" on KJR talking about the play call. I'm sure he lost his $*** when they ran that play out of the timeout.

Before the shanked FG possession, Hutson would have gone untouched into the endzone if he doesn't stumble after the catch. Stuff happens.
Since you brought up Hutson...again this week he doesn't play defense on an INT. It got overturned anyway, but someone needs to convince that kid that if he's not going to catch it...don't let the defense get it either.

The idea of a "good penalty" is real. If it's underthrown and the DB is going to intercept...grab his arms. Don't let him pick it off. Offensive interference is better than a turnover.

Giving up on plays means you're lazy and selfish. Don't be that guy. Help the team.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Since you brought up Hutson...again this week he doesn't play defense on an INT. It got overturned anyway, but someone needs to convince that kid that if he's not going to catch it...don't let the defense get it either.

The idea of a "good penalty" is real. If it's underthrown and the DB is going to intercept...grab his arms. Don't let him pick it off. Offensive interference is better than a turnover.

Giving up on plays means you're lazy and selfish. Don't be that guy. Help the team.

The mutts committed defensive PI twice on catches to keep from getting burned on big plays. There is definitively situations where a "good penalty" happens.

It wasn’t Hutson it was Williams. And yes. That was a piss poor effort to make a play on it. It wasn’t a terribly thrown ball, it was good coverage and the receiver needs to go up and fight for it.

Reactions: 425cougfan

Hutson looked fully outstretched trying to get to the ball, but it was out of his reach. It also looked like the db had hands on Hutson off the LOS, but it was such a quick play (and I can't slow it down on Peacock) it's hard to tell if that slowed down Hutson. The hands wasn't a penalty (within 5 yards) but may have impacted Hutson getting to the db and/or ball. In any event, it looked to me that Hutson did what he could to get at the ball from where he was on the field.

Generally, receivers did a much better job of doing their job this week which is catch the d*** ball. Mateer did a much better job showing more touch. Wish he didn't take so many hits. Wish he wasn't the holder on kicks.

Reactions: mikalalas
Hutson looked fully outstretched trying to get to the ball, but it was out of his reach. It also looked like the db had hands on Hutson off the LOS, but it was such a quick play (and I can't slow it down on Peacock) it's hard to tell if that slowed down Hutson. The hands wasn't a penalty (within 5 yards) but may have impacted Hutson getting to the db and/or ball. In any event, it looked to me that Hutson did what he could to get at the ball from where he was on the field.

Generally, receivers did a much better job of doing their job this week which is catch the d*** ball. Mateer did a much better job showing more touch. Wish he didn't take so many hits. Wish he wasn't the holder on kicks.
My concern with Mateer is that when he puts some touch on his throws, he underthrows the receiver. He needs to work on that mix of putting some air under it but still getting enough distance on the ball.

I agree though, we did not see so many cannon shots from just a few yards away.

My concern with Mateer is that when he puts some touch on his throws, he underthrows the receiver. He needs to work on that mix of putting some air under it but still getting enough distance on the ball.

Agree especially on the deep balls. He's still a work-in-progress, but the touch pass to Williams on the sideline and even the inside screen to Hutson showed good improvement from week 1. He's also made better pass/run decisions although the hits are a concern.

No idea where he can get to as a thrower this year or in general. Still impressed with his progress and hopefully continues.

I could do without that sidearm baseball delivery. More likely to be tipped, and he sort of drilled it in there a couple of times. On him holding for kicks, seems clear to me that they have him in there as a threat to run a fake. That works for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT