ADVERTISEMENT

Rolo a "players coach"

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007

I know these things are cyclical and teams usually go from discipline coach to players coach, but I'm curious how this will play out for the Cougs over the next several years.

Things usually associated with "player coaches": lower grades, more trouble with the law, more behavioral issues.

That being said, I think if we have some blossoming talent on this team, they could use some "swag" to help get them over the hump. I'm not talking 1991 Miami (which boasted Ed O and Tommy Tuberville on the staff, as well as Mario Crystalball and "The Rock" on the team) swag, but some "kick names and take asses" type swag.

Thoughts?

I know these things are cyclical and teams usually go from discipline coach to players coach, but I'm curious how this will play out for the Cougs over the next several years.

Things usually associated with "player coaches": lower grades, more trouble with the law, more behavioral issues.

That being said, I think if we have some blossoming talent on this team, they could use some "swag" to help get them over the hump. I'm not talking 1991 Miami (which boasted Ed O and Tommy Tuberville on the staff, as well as Mario Crystalball and "The Rock" on the team) swag, but some "kick names and take asses" type swag.

Thoughts?
Some Derting-like toughness with a little McClanahan flair thrown in to remind everyone the game is also supposed to be fun

Reactions: 79COUG and SDCoug

Thoughts?

My exact thoughts. There has to be a happy medium between straight as an arrow, every game is the same and do whatever the F you want on and off the field and every week is the super bowl. I loved leachs 3 tenants, but I think you can have that and still know your players.

If you watch that video I linked a few days ago, he addresses discipline. He is a dude that gives chances, but doesn't like a dude that will let the players run the team.

My exact thoughts. There has to be a happy medium between straight as an arrow, every game is the same and do whatever the F you want on and off the field and every week is the super bowl. I loved leachs 3 tenants, but I think you can have that and still know your players.
Hey man, Leach did a belly flop at fall camp!

Reactions: SDCoug
If you watch that video I linked a few days ago, he addresses discipline. He is a dude that gives chances, but doesn't like a dude that will let the players run the team.
Interest typo? I think you meant ruin as he kind of wants the players to run the team.

Thoughts?

Planning to do some googling this weekend about arrests, dismissals, academics, etc.

At the presser he said he hates unsportsmanlike penalties, so there is that. I suspect drugs and stealing will not be immediate dismissals.

Planning to do some googling this weekend about arrests, dismissals, academics, etc.

At the presser he said he hates unsportsmanlike penalties, so there is that. I suspect drugs and stealing will not be immediate dismissals.
I'm... okay with that? I mean, as long as its one strike and you're out.

Kids are dumb. Boys brains don't fully develop until 25 (30 for some... saying for a friend.) They're going to make mistakes, and sometimes just that one chance is all they need. We're here to build and develop men, and that includes guiding and directing after mistakes. Sometimes that looks like a suspension, sometimes dismissal. I'll let the coach decide based on his knowledge of the kid and situation.

What I absolutely DON'T want is to be back on the leaderboard for the Fulmer Cup. If I ever see that shit again, the associated staff can pack their bags immediately.

Reactions: metprof

Hawaii was pretty high in penalties this year and two years ago.

WSU was relatively high in 2018.

Not sure how much is due to conference officiating style. But they are in same league as Air Force who was near lowest every year.

Willie Taggart's teams led in penalties 3 years running - Oregon and FSU.

Thoughts?
His fellow coaches at UH talk about how demanding HC NR is. If that is true...it's going to be more true in order to protect his future and a job that pays 5 times what he made previously. But that's just reason.

Thoughts?
Naw. Price was a players coach, and it wasn’t knucklehead central with him. And he had plenty of risky guys too. You can be a players coach and still instill discipline. I think the biggest key is the assistants...they are spending the lions share of the time with the players.

Reactions: rufffrider
McClanahan pled guilty to murdering his wife.
I’m pretty sure I wasn’t suggesting that they play with AM’s enthusiasm and then follow in his path of murdering their wives 25 years later. I can separate the young man and his passion for football—he was a fun player to watch—and the adult making poor life choices.

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t suggesting that they play with AM’s enthusiasm and then follow in his path of murdering their wives 25 years later. I can separate the young man and his passion for football—he was a fun player to watch—and the adult making poor life choices.

Let's sub in Mark Fields or Steve Gleason for future comparison sake.

I'm... okay with that? I mean, as long as its one strike and you're out.

Kids are dumb. Boys brains don't fully develop until 25 (30 for some... saying for a friend.) They're going to make mistakes, and sometimes just that one chance is all they need. We're here to build and develop men, and that includes guiding and directing after mistakes. Sometimes that looks like a suspension, sometimes dismissal. I'll let the coach decide based on his knowledge of the kid and situation.

What I absolutely DON'T want is to be back on the leaderboard for the Fulmer Cup. If I ever see that shit again, the associated staff can pack their bags immediately.
25? 53 and still learning not to do stupid things....

Reactions: ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT