ADVERTISEMENT

Rolo not happy with QBs

That may be true, and I'm concerned as well, but UW just had a similar situational scrimmage, and the final score was 9-6. Without witnessing the practices or scrimmages, it's impossible for anyone to objectively comment on the state of the QB position.
Does that include Rolovich? I started this post after hearing his comments about the QB play at this point. To quote again, "Not good. Not good enough."

Let me add, once again, that there are still 10 days left to get someone ready by the season opener. Reason for concern? Yes. Reason for despair, no...at least not yet.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
it's becoming clear he's sticking with his system. Cruz and Cooper might not fit his system. Do Cruz and Cooper leave WSU to a better system for their skill set (like Mississippi State)? I would if I were them. This year is a "wash" from an eligibility perspective and you know Leach would take one of them (his competition mantra).

I'm not sure Leach would take them. Now, he might, and I'm not saying this to be cruel to either of the kids, but if they can't beat out an incoming true freshman, why would they transfer into the SEC under a coach who surely will attract some quality QB prospects?

I'm not sure Leach would take them. Now, he might, and I'm not saying this to be cruel to either of the kids, but if they can't beat out an incoming true freshman, why would they transfer into the SEC under a coach who surely will attract some quality QB prospects?
Leach's QB's haven't exactly gone on to do big things after college--Minshew being the outlier, you can practically count on one hand the number of games his quarterbacks have played in the NFL. Not to mention, MSU has had 2 QBs drafted in the last 20 year, one of which was a 7th rounder this year--Dak Prescott (2016) has been their only worthwhile QB produced in terms of NFL potential. MSU--with or without Leach as coach--is not the highly ranked QB mecca you're implying it might be. My guess is Leach would take a chance on them if he felt they could run his offense the way he wants it run.

Does that include Rolovich? I started this post after hearing his comments about the QB play at this point. To quote again, "Not good. Not good enough."

Let me add, once again, that there are still 10 days left to get someone ready by the season opener. Reason for concern? Yes. Reason for despair, no...at least not yet.

Glad Cougar

His comments were brutal. No way to spin it. If De Laura plays it's not because he wowed everyone, it's because he was the least bad. At least that's my read on Rolovich's take.

Leach's QB's haven't exactly gone on to do big things after college--Minshew being the outlier, you can practically count on one hand the number of games his quarterbacks have played in the NFL.

Boy, I don't agree with that at all. If I were on Leach's staff, I could recruit QBs with the best of them given his resume. First of all, there has been a huge uptick of air raid QBs making it big in the NFL, but even if you limit the debate to Leach of the past 5 years, two of his last three QBs have started in the NFL.

More importantly though are the incredible amount of his ex QBs who have gone on to do incredible things in the field of coaching. Lincoln Riley was hired by Leach as a student assistant after cutting him from the team. Kliff Kingsbury is the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Sonny Cumbie is TCU's offensive coordinator. Graham Harrell is the OC at USC. The tree is longer than this....

Mississippi State's top QB recruit for 2021 is 4-star Sawyer Robertson, who chose MSU over Florida State, Arizona State, Arkansas.

Leach won't have trouble finding QB prospects to play for him in the SEC. If you're a QB who wants to throw the ball, learn about the passing game, and have aspirations to coach after your playing career is over, you could do a lot worse than playing under Leach.

Cammon Cooper was the top recruit out of Utah and threw for a ton of yards and TDs. The guy has talent. The question he's asking himself is: does the run and shoot allow me to showcase my skills?

Should be noted: not many teams have the run and shoot in the NFL. Used to be a little more common (I think the Houston Oilers were a team), but not much any more.

Cooper could go to Utah State, throw for a lot of yards, and get drafted. It doesn't have to be a "I got beat out" discussion, it can be "I came here to throw the ball a lot." The system changed, so I left....

Boy, I don't agree with that at all. If I were on Leach's staff, I could recruit QBs with the best of them given his resume. First of all, there has been a huge uptick of air raid QBs making it big in the NFL, but even if you limit the debate to Leach of the past 5 years, two of his last three QBs have started in the NFL.

More importantly though are the incredible amount of his ex QBs who have gone on to do incredible things in the field of coaching. Lincoln Riley was hired by Leach as a student assistant after cutting him from the team. Kliff Kingsbury is the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Sonny Cumbie is TCU's offensive coordinator. Graham Harrell is the OC at USC. The tree is longer than this....

Mississippi State's top QB recruit for 2021 is 4-star Sawyer Robertson, who chose MSU over Florida State, Arizona State, Arkansas.

Leach won't have trouble finding QB prospects to play for him in the SEC. If you're a QB who wants to throw the ball, learn about the passing game, and have aspirations to coach after your playing career is over, you could do a lot worse than playing under Leach.
Admittedly, the jury is out on Minshew, but if Falk is the other measure of success you're going to use, you sure you want to wave that flag as the banner for the success of Leach as a QB recruiter/developer? His record-setting QB's put up huge numbers in his system and then disappear into obscurity once they leave: https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...r-mike-leach-how-theyve-fared-nfl/2441762001/

He always seems to find the right guy to do well in his system, but their track record in the NFL tells me he can't get the physically gifted players that do well in the pros. Sure they go on to do good things in the coaching world, but you know they saying about "those who can't do it, coach it"... As for Sawyer Robertson, I don't think I would be using that as exhibit A demonstrating his ability to beat out a murderers row of blue bloods--FSU under Jimbo Fisher, sure, but FSU's recruiting is nothing compared to what it was when he was coaching. Beating Arkansas and ASU for a recruit isn't saying a whole lot if you're in a conference that is skimming off the bulk of the top talent across the country. At WSU he managed to pull in several low-end 4-star kids, and the only guys that have sniffed the NFL have been transfers or guys he inherited. As far as straight up recruiting goes, he is not a heavyweight recruiter. All that said, I digress from my original point that it wouldn't surprise me for him to take Cruz or Cooper if they wanted to transfer because he sees things in kids that work for his system that don't necessarily fit the bill for what other schools are looking for (e.g., big arm, big frame, fast wheels).

Last edited:
Admittedly, the jury is out on Minshew, but if Falk is the other measure of success you're going to use, you sure you want to wave that flag as the banner for the success of Leach as a QB recruiter/developer? His record-setting QB's put up huge numbers in his system and then disappear into obscurity once they leave: https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...r-mike-leach-how-theyve-fared-nfl/2441762001/

He always seems to find the right guy to do well in his system, but their track record in the NFL tells me he can't get the physically gifted players that do well in the pros. Sure they go on to do good things in the coaching world, but you know they saying about "those who can't do it, coach it"... As for Sawyer Robertson, I don't think I would be using that as exhibit A demonstrating his ability to beat out a murderers row of blue bloods--FSU under Jimbo Fisher, sure, but FSU's recruiting is nothing compared to what it was when he was coaching. Beating Arkansas and ASU for a recruit isn't saying a whole lot if you're in a conference that is skimming off the bulk of the top talent across the country. At WSU he managed to pull in several low-end 4-star kids, and the only guys that have sniffed the NFL have been transfers or guys he inherited. As far as straight up recruiting goes, he is not a heavyweight recruiter. All that said, I digress from my original point that it wouldn't surprise me for him to take Cruz or Cooper if they wanted to transfer because he sees things in kids that work for his system that don't necessarily fit the bill for what other schools are looking for (e.g., big arm, big frame, fast wheels).
Minshew is a top tier NFL QB. That’s pretty clear. The Jags are an awful organization.

Cammon Cooper was the top recruit out of Utah and threw for a ton of yards and TDs. The guy has talent. The question he's asking himself is: does the run and shoot allow me to showcase my skills?

Should be noted: not many teams have the run and shoot in the NFL. Used to be a little more common (I think the Houston Oilers were a team), but not much any more.

Cooper could go to Utah State, throw for a lot of yards, and get drafted. It doesn't have to be a "I got beat out" discussion, it can be "I came here to throw the ball a lot." The system changed, so I left....

Cooper's biggest knocks are leadership and mental moxie.

Given the fact that we've never seen any of these guys in a live game, we have a lot of experts on what their strengths and weaknesses are. I just hope that we don't have to relive the Brink/Swogger/Rogers years where people get their hearts set on Cooper, Cruz or De Laura and spend years bitching about their guy getting screwed. I really just want to see whomever Rolo picks in a game before I get worked up about how these guys will be in the future and if they are transferring or not.

Given the fact that we've never seen any of these guys in a live game, we have a lot of experts on what their strengths and weaknesses are. I just hope that we don't have to relive the Brink/Swogger/Rogers years where people get their hearts set on Cooper, Cruz or De Laura and spend years bitching about their guy getting screwed. I really just want to see whomever Rolo picks in a game before I get worked up about how these guys will be in the future and if they are transferring or not.
I don't disagree....but QB discussions certainly give us a lot to talk about. And the conversations have a long shelf life.

For the record, Brink was the right call😀!

Glad Cougar

I don't disagree....but QB discussions certainly give us a lot to talk about. And the conversations have a long shelf life.

For the record, Brink was the right call😀!

Glad Cougar

I do like the fact that the discussions seem to be relatively open minded. I do laugh at the notion that Cooper isn't mobile. He moved pretty well in high school. My main criticism of him was that he had a little too much Johnny Manziel in him and occasionally improvised to the point of being dangerous to his own team.

Have to disagree a bit here. Finger. The jury is not out on Minshew- at least not in my opinion. Jacksonville is in a world of hurt despite Minshew, not because of Minshew. He is at least an NFL starter or a more than capable backup. I would be delighted to have the Seahawks pick him up to back Russell Wilson. It would be nice to see what Gardner could do on a better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
If I were Rolo- and we should all be glad that I am not- I would treat this abbreviated season as almost in a dispensable category. This upcoming schedule is so screwed up by Covid19 that the final results are sure to have a series of asterisks appended. Play to win but with as many young participants as possible. Do not know who to play at weak-side CB? Fine, play the top two or even three and let the cream rise to the top. It costs us a game then well, crap, but in the long run its almost meaningless. I would use this scrambled season to set us up for next year.

Reactions: kougkurt
If I were Rolo- and we should all be glad that I am not- I would treat this abbreviated season as almost in a dispensable category. This upcoming schedule is so screwed up by Covid19 that the final results are sure to have a series of asterisks appended. Play to win but with as many young participants as possible. Do not know who to play at weak-side CB? Fine, play the top two or even three and let the cream rise to the top. It costs us a game then well, crap, but in the long run its almost meaningless. I would use this scrambled season to set us up for next year.

A season of preseason games to find out who is gonna be a contender and who is a pretender.

A season of preseason games to find out who is gonna be a contender and who is a pretender.
Precisely. That is the way that I look at it too. A seven game preseason leading into the 2021 schedule. We have a new coaching staff with the disunity that entails, then throw in the pandemic and there are too many unknowns and variables to predict the outcome with any degree of accuracy. To me, this upcoming season is just a "preseason" endeavor, an opportunity for the staff to install their schemes and find out what they have on the roster. We will find out how good Rolo and Dickert are next Fall.

Last edited:
The future is now old man(men). Young gun gets this season and loses no eligibility. Will be a good way to gauge next year.

You mean when we had more injured on defense for that game vs. any other part of the season?

That 2006 team was really damned good before injuries derailed us. We were 6-3 and ranked in the top 25. Our losses at that point were to eventual 11-2 Auburn, 11-2 USC and 10-3 Cal. Unfortunately, in typical WSU fashion, no depth and injuries wrecked that season. It was an absolute travesty that we didn't make a bowl that year. Northern Illinois got trucked by TCU 37-7 in the Poinsettia Bowl. Nobody wanted NIU in the game but the rules at the time forced them to take the Huskies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT