ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Just consolidating things in one thread so I don’t have to find them in others

Somewhere below there’s a mention that WSU and OSU are on the verge of joining the Big 12. I can’t find a thing to support that online.

Stanford & Cal are apparently within one vote of approval to join the ACC. 12 of the 15 teams need to vote in favor, but FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State are not in favor. I can’t imagine FSU and Clemson changing their minds. UNC is probably thinking hoops more than football. Not sure I understand NC State’s objection. If Stanford wants to be in the ACC, NCSU is probably the weakest link.

What’s troubling me at the moment is the silence at WSU. There are always stories coming from them, but for the last week…nothing. I’m not talking about interviews and press releases - those are so polished and canned that they’re meaningless. I mean the ground-level stuff that leaks and indicates what’s really going on. When that happens, it’s usually a sign of something big and secret. I’m hoping that’s the case, but my fear now is that there’s no chatter because there’s nothing happening.

Somewhere below there’s a mention that WSU and OSU are on the verge of joining the Big 12. I can’t find a thing to support that online.

Stanford & Cal are apparently within one vote of approval to join the ACC. 12 of the 15 teams need to vote in favor, but FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State are not in favor. I can’t imagine FSU and Clemson changing their minds. UNC is probably thinking hoops more than football. Not sure I understand NC State’s objection. If Stanford wants to be in the ACC, NCSU is probably the weakest link.

What’s troubling me at the moment is the silence at WSU. There are always stories coming from them, but for the last week…nothing. I’m not talking about interviews and press releases - those are so polished and canned that they’re meaningless. I mean the ground-level stuff that leaks and indicates what’s really going on. When that happens, it’s usually a sign of something big and secret. I’m hoping that’s the case, but my fear now is that there’s no chatter because there’s nothing happening.
I’ve heard if Cal and Stanford land in the ACC there’s a legit shot of WSU and OSU in the B12. Why…not sure.

As for silence from WSU I’ve got no problem with it. UW and Oregon were working back channel shit in the middle of the night. Sometimes you are better off not showing your hand. I’ve got no problem being in the dark, they are working this out and trying to put the university in the best position.

I’ve heard if Cal and Stanford land in the ACC there’s a legit shot of WSU and OSU in the B12. Why…not sure.

As for silence from WSU I’ve got no problem with it. UW and Oregon were working back channel shit in the middle of the night. Sometimes you are better off not showing your hand. I’ve got no problem being in the dark, they are working this out and trying to put the university in the best position.
The why goes something like this: we then are the only ones with a stake in the Pac 12 networks and we can use that stake as a bargaining chip. Of course the Big 12 and ESPN also want west coast time slots that hasn't changed, especially now that ESPN is totally boxed out in pacific time. It's actually not the craziest thing I've heard but that's also a fairly low bar in realignment.

The only place I’ve seen the possibility of OSU and WSU to the b12 is tweets(do you still call them that?) from MHVer3 and they were supposedly contingent on cal/furd going to the ACC and WS/OS bringing the PAC Network assets. I never read one of his tweets during the “disinformation” b12 blitz but have been checking him out pretty regularly since last Friday. He may have sources, he may just be making educated guesses that are sometimes right so who knows. He’s a bit like the hairstylist of realignment Twitter.
It does appear August 15th is a big day for the ACC. I believe if a school is going to withdraw, that’s the drop dead day to somewhat reduce the massive withdrawal penalty. I can’t see the SEC/ESPN bailing FSU and Clemson out to go to the SEC since the ACC already has an ESPN contract for a lot less $$. Will the BIG make it worth their while? Either way, I don’t see anything happening until then but if the ACC implodes there will be mass chaos.

The only place I’ve seen the possibility of OSU and WSU to the b12 is tweets(do you still call them that?) from MHVer3 and they were supposedly contingent on cal/furd going to the ACC and WS/OS bringing the PAC Network assets. I never read one of his tweets during the “disinformation” b12 blitz but have been checking him out pretty regularly since last Friday. He may have sources, he may just be making educated guesses that are sometimes right so who knows. He’s a bit like the hairstylist of realignment Twitter.
It does appear August 15th is a big day for the ACC. I believe if a school is going to withdraw, that’s the drop dead day to somewhat reduce the massive withdrawal penalty. I can’t see the SEC/ESPN bailing FSU and Clemson out to go to the SEC since the ACC already has an ESPN contract for a lot less $$. Will the BIG make it worth their while? Either way, I don’t see anything happening until then but if the ACC implodes there will be mass chaos.
Oh F it. Let's just joint the Mountain West NOW. CSU, SDSU (if they don't get poached). UNLV. Air Force, Wyoming, etc. Not a bad match for BFE WSU. As George Raveling famously said: Pullman isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from here".

The withdrawal penalty isn’t the big problem, it’s the grant of rights. If FSU (for example) bails early, the ACC owns their media rights through 2035. That seriously reduces their value to another conference, and (so far) keeps them chained to the ACC.

The withdrawal penalty isn’t the big problem, it’s the grant of rights. If FSU (for example) bails early, the ACC owns their media rights through 2035. That seriously reduces their value to another conference, and (so far) keeps them chained to the ACC.
A. How in the hell did they get Clemson and FSU (and Miami) to sign that?

B. Do they not get to keep any of their Media money through 2035 or does the ACC get the amount they’d get in the ACC and they get to keep the Delta?

A. How in the hell did they get Clemson and FSU (and Miami) to sign that?

B. Do they not get to keep any of their Media money through 2035 or does the ACC get the amount they’d get in the ACC and they get to keep the Delta?
It’s just how things work now. It’s part of the media contracts. At the time of signing, it was big money and they let probably thought it was a good deal. Then the SEC and Big 10 got deals that dwarfed it, so now they’re not happy.

From what I’ve read, the ACC gets anything they bring in. I would assume it only applies to their home games, so the SEC and FSU would have to do some serious financial math to determine what value they bring (and they won’t come up with the same number). There’s no way the SEC gives them a full share until that GOR expires, and I doubt that FSU will accept much of a reduction in spite of it.

It’s just how things work now. It’s part of the media contracts. At the time of signing, it was big money and they let probably thought it was a good deal. Then the SEC and Big 10 got deals that dwarfed it, so now they’re not happy.

From what I’ve read, the ACC gets anything they bring in. I would assume it only applies to their home games, so the SEC and FSU would have to do some serious financial math to determine what value they bring (and they won’t come up with the same number). There’s no way the SEC gives them a full share until that GOR expires, and I doubt that FSU will accept much of a reduction in spite of it.
No different than the all-pro that signs a long term contract then two years into it 10 other guys at his position sign bigger deals and now he wants to hold out.

Reactions: BSpike76
No different than the all-pro that signs a long term contract then two years into it 10 other guys at his position sign bigger deals and now he wants to hold out.
Unless there’s holes in the contract, and from what little I’ve read it seems pretty solid, they’re stuck with those terms.

Unless there’s holes in the contract, and from what little I’ve read it seems pretty solid, they’re stuck with those terms.
Yeah, sounds like it’s pretty bulletproof.

The PAC-12’s seems pretty clear to me too. If you give notice of departure before august 2024, the conference retains your media rights.

Yeah, sounds like it’s pretty bulletproof.

The PAC-12’s seems pretty clear to me too. If you give notice of departure before august 2024, the conference retains your media rights.
Then that should mean usc and ucla owe us all their media money from 2022-2023?! That would be awesome.

Then that should mean usc and ucla owe us all their media money from 2022-2023?! That would be awesome.
If I read the bylaws right…yes. If the CEO group decided so, USC & UCLA’s media rights would be forfeit as of June 2022.

Payouts don’t happen until the end of the year (right around now), so I suppose the conference could still decline to pay them.

Like the Big 10 with UW and UO, the Big 12 will have to find the money if they choose to offer membership to WSU and OSU. Fox and ESPN will have to come up with more. I would imagine that the Big 12 will know soon if FSU can bust out and begin a rush to the exits, which is what everyone is waiting to see. Then they will decide on the West - if the money is there.

Reactions: mikalalas
If I read the bylaws right…yes. If the CEO group decided so, USC & UCLA’s media rights would be forfeit as of June 2022.

Payouts don’t happen until the end of the year (right around now), so I suppose the conference could still decline to pay them.

It will be interesting to see if the PAC CEOS and their staffs are willing to play hardball on this forfeiture issue with new members of the BIG 10/12 conferences at this stage of the conference re-alignment/dissolution circus. If any of them have aspirations for a potential future within those conferences, they may be reluctant to push hard on this issue.

It will be interesting to see if the PAC CEOS and their staffs are willing to play hardball on this forfeiture issue with new members of the BIG 10/12 conferences at this stage of the conference re-alignment/dissolution circus. If any of them have aspirations for a potential future within those conferences, they may be reluctant to push hard on this issue.

If they don't push hard on the issue, then they should be PUBLICALLY accused, charged with, of not pushing, playing hardball, because they want to be a Big 12 or Big 10 President someday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT