ADVERTISEMENT

Run Game, Falk

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Looking at the stats, 5 of our carries were Hilinsky. We ran it 3 times and dropped back to pass 55 times.

And -0- carries by Morrow (didn't realize he got hurt, another dagger). Did have 4 catches.
So I'd like to hear from the running backs, What did they see, and do they agree with 55-3?

On Falk, when did we know he couldn't play? hours, days, weeks? Related, did Tyler get some, most or all of the first team reps? Looked like not that many.

And how did we not know about Falk?

Looking at the stats, 5 of our carries were Hilinsky. We ran it 3 times and dropped back to pass 55 times.

And -0- carries by Morrow (didn't realize he got hurt, another dagger). Did have 4 catches.
So I'd like to hear from the running backs, What did they see, and do they agree with 55-3?

On Falk, when did we know he couldn't play? hours, days, weeks? Related, did Tyler get some, most or all of the first team reps? Looked like not that many.

Seriously, he looked like a dog without a bone out there. Similar things have happened in previous games when he was called upon. All of a sudden...no back in the backfield after he steps onto the field. With 3 very serviceable runningbacks this year...you'd think we'd run the ball a little more often...not Army like, but just a little more. Instead.....WAY less than 2016'. Pretty f'n disappointing.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Seriously, he looked like a dog without a bone out there. Similar things have happened in previous games when he was called upon. All of a sudden...no back in the backfield after he steps onto the field. With 3 very serviceable runningbacks this year...you'd think we'd run the ball a little more often...not Army like, but just a little more. Instead.....WAY less than 2016'. Pretty f'n disappointing.
Falk had games like that too. Cal was like that. AZ was even before Hilinski came in. It’s a flaw of Leach’s philosophy IMO not of his QBs. It’s pretty obvious they are not encouraged to run it or that all a team has to do is show 6+ in the box and we aren’t going to run. Until Leach figures out there needs to be some balance this offense will be limited

Reactions: BiggsCoug

They've known for weeks that Falk would be out. It seemed obvious to me that Hilinski has been getting the reps. He was going to short underneath passes, and not forcing anything into coverage except for the one pick.

The lack of running plays was not a surprise either. It's the structure of the offense. Leach calls a pass play. The QB can check out of it. Do you think Hilinski, in his first start in a bowl game against a top 25 team, where we got behind big in the 2nd quarter, was going to check out of what Leach called?

They've known for weeks that Falk would be out. It seemed obvious to me that Hilinski has been getting the reps. He was going to short underneath passes, and not forcing anything into coverage except for the one pick.

The lack of running plays was not a surprise either. It's the structure of the offense. Leach calls a pass play. The QB can check out of it. Do you think Hilinski, in his first start in a bowl game against a top 25 team, where we got behind big in the 2nd quarter, was going to check out of what Leach called?

i call that a regression from 2016'. What's a QB's motivation to be THE man when they're not being given the autonomy to check out? It's just too predictable that team start out with so many players in the box then jump back into coverage. It's not rocket science.

i call that a regression from 2016'. What's a QB's motivation to be THE man when they're not being given the autonomy to check out? It's just too predictable that team start out with so many players in the box then jump back into coverage. It's not rocket science.

The offense has certainly regressed from 2016. Not debatable in my mind.

I'm certain that Hilinski has been given the green light to check, he did once that I saw. It's just practical reality. First start against a top 25 team in a bowl game. How often is he going to check out of something Leach has called?

The offense has certainly regressed from 2016. Not debatable in my mind.

I'm certain that Hilinski has been given the green light to check, he did once that I saw. It's just practical reality. First start against a top 25 team in a bowl game. How often is he going to check out of something Leach has called?

Well that's where I wish I understood the dynamics. Would love Morrow to come on the board and chat :). TT teams ran 1/3 of the time. Isn't the "pass play" called basically a formation, and the QB is expected to check to runs frequently? That said, what QB wants to check to a run when he can run coaches' base play and throw the ball? It fails, bad call. It succeeds, QB looks great.

Well that's where I wish I understood the dynamics. Would love Morrow to come on the board and chat :). TT teams ran 1/3 of the time. Isn't the "pass play" called basically a formation, and the QB is expected to check to runs frequently? That said, what QB wants to check to a run when he can run coaches' base play and throw the ball? It fails, bad call. It succeeds, QB looks great.

Not frequently. When the run is there- box count, misalignment from the defense, etc.

You're either coaching it or allowing it to happen. As it stands now, it's the worst offense in the league. And it won 9 games lol

I completely agree with you but two things with this. 1. It’s flawed to call a pass play and have to audible to a run...especially in road games with crowd noise. 2. The old saying goes if you’re not coaching it you’re allowing it to happen. As much autonomy as the QB has to check, it’s ultimately on Leach to recognize and correct when the offense isn’t doing anything, which usuallly is the case when we aren’t running the ball at all. He’s obviously not, so to me it’s entirely on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT