ADVERTISEMENT

Serious systemic issues throughout the team

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
We knew the D was young and having issues tackling. Fixable, but probably not this season.

Special teams, however. I've always maintained that when you can field respectable ST units, it's indicative of either a severe lack of talent, severe lack of coaching, or both.

That last TD return, the first kid there put his head down and dive blindly at the returners feet. Wood was right behind and took a horrible angle and took himself completely out of the play.

Tackling is historically bad.

We knew the D was young and having issues tackling. Fixable, but probably not this season.

Special teams, however. I've always maintained that when you can field respectable ST units, it's indicative of either a severe lack of talent, severe lack of coaching, or both.

That last TD return, the first kid there put his head down and dive blindly at the returners feet. Wood was right behind and took a horrible angle and took himself completely out of the play.

Tackling is historically bad.
That right there is THE main issue with the defense every game so far and it's what makes me think it's not as much a talent issue as it is a discipline issue. How many times has the first guy been in perfect position to make the play on D to either keep a play to a short to no gain or even a loss of yards? Guys get penetration and just lunge at the QB/RB like isn't gonna move to avoid them. It is something that young players do, but it should steadily get better or that player stops playing until they figure it out. I don't see anyone breaking down to make sure they make the tackle even if they give up a yard or two more. They instead leave their feet and miss giving up many more yards and in the case of this game, giving up long play TDs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT