ADVERTISEMENT

Sheldon Goldman 6'10 PF recruit

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
He is visiting the cougs this weekend per the other board. He is attending prep school reclassifying to 2016. He had offers from Utah St Old MIss and possibly Iowa last year. A lot of schools were interested in him but he either never committed or the offer was withdrawn He is rated a 2+ by scouting services. His videos are impressive and he has a wide variety of offensive moves. He appears to be well worth schlorship offer.It seems that a lot of schools are interested in is services. He is a 6'10 210 pd forward. he weighed 190 last year and he can still add another 20 pds. He seems to be able to play a small forward or a PF position .I did nor see any stats from last year and he was not playing against the best competition in his videos.

His video may indicate that he should be rated higher. If Kent gets this guy,i would be pleased. He seems like he is a late developer. One should watch his videos before passing judgement on the guy.He looks like a guy with serious upside. He can shoot the 3 pointer ,put he ball on the floor and drive the basket.If he can dd some stength and a little mre weight ,he will be a good college player

Video from 2015:

Someone from the other site said he was a guard or small forward but had a growth spurt after his sophomore year and hasn't grown into his length. Shoots to 3, can handle, some bounce but not the best competition. Looks like a good project to take late spring. Biggie Goldman...

He grew 10 inches in High school. He started out as a guard so,he has very good ball handling abilities for a big man. The competition is not good,but he shows good abilities. One would think that all he really needs is strength and weight. It is a lot harder to play when someone is constantly bumping and grinding on a thin player during a game.He is certainly worth a scholarship .He needs to add another 20 pounds of muscle to be effective. But having a 6'10 player who shoots 40% from3 pt land has to be a plus.

Brand X says other offers are American University, Youngstown State, Florida International, UNC-Asheville and Tennessee Tech. I'd feel better if indeed Iowa & Ole Miss had offered as well. Nonetheless, I'm all for grabbing a skinny freshman big guy and hope that he's the next Robbie Cowgill with a shooting touch from the outside.

Glad Cougar

Brand X says other offers are American University, Youngstown State, Florida International, UNC-Asheville and Tennessee Tech. I'd feel better if indeed Iowa & Ole Miss had offered as well. Nonetheless, I'm all for grabbing a skinny freshman big guy and hope that he's the next Robbie Cowgill with a shooting touch from the outside.

Glad Cougar
At 210 he's actually heavier than Cowgill coming in. I tend to the side that weight is overrated in hoops. Needs to get stronger though. He seems to have similar or maybe even greater wingspan than Cowgill. Duplicating Cowgill is no easy task probablh takes a few years as it did with Cowgill before he comes into the upside. Wonder whether he played AAU?

He was considered by many programs during the 2015 cycle. The knock on him was his thin frame. He has added 20 pounds and will naturally pick up another 10-15 pds thru maturity. The current list of colleges are for this year. Now that he is emerging,other schools are wanting to look at him.It is time for Kent to lock this kid down. Of course there are idiots ,especially on the other board,who continue to trash the program as they do their utmost to help in the recruiting of better players.

Bulk is over rated. Most bigs are late bloomers. He actually sounds a lot like cowgill down to the pg history. Having said that cowgill was one of the most underrated athletes ever at WSU

Bulk is over rated. Most bigs are late bloomers. He actually sounds a lot like cowgill down to the pg history. Having said that cowgill was one of the most underrated athletes ever at WSU
Agree on Cowgill. He was 'sneaky quick', had some bounce, and combined with is length, wingspan, and probably intelligence he was able to guard multiple positions and get to the basket and finish. He also learned how to play through contact.

If Goldman wants it he could end up a key player down the line. I hope he enjoys his trip.

On the other board they said that he had mono and a broken foot which kept the big schools way this year. last year,. He was being considered by a few big schools at 190 pds.He is now 210 pds and still growing. He has a long wingspan which is a definite plus. There are people being negative but this kid is a steal at this time and maybe at any time.WSU with its weight facilities and training program seems to be an ideal fit for this guy . It seems to be a perfect fit to me.

Cowgill, along with Baynes, Forrest and the JC forward whose name I can't recall were also some of the best-coached bigs ever at WSU.

Cowgill, along with Baynes, Forrest and the JC forward whose name I can't recall were also some of the best-coached bigs ever at WSU.

Jeff Varem? Ivory Clark? Both were solid JC forwards that played above the rim.

Casto was solid too.

Jeff Varem? Ivory Clark? Both were solid JC forwards that played above the rim.

Casto was solid too.
Yeah, I was trying to think of Clark, who Tony was mainly responsible for grooming. Varem only had his senior season, I believe, under DB. And yes, Casto would be another to add in the mix--a pretty solid defender.

Great coaching will only take defense so far. The length quickness of Cowgill and Weaver is what turned a very good defense in to an outstanding defense. Forrest Lodwick and Capers were among the hardest working players I have ever seen at WSU, but their defense was never at the level of Cowgill Weaver andBaynes. Casto on the other hand was a head case but became an excellent defender under Bone as did Klay because they were both long and quick.

Casto was a pretty good defender as a freshman too under Bennett. He didn't make All-Conference freshman team for his scoring. I agree with you on Cowgill and Weaver having the length and quickness to be good defenders.

Glad Cougar

Goldman will not be joining the cougs The other board had an article saying tht Kent did not extend an offer.Evidently he was told that Kent wanted someone who could help immediately and that he would have to red shirt It sounds crazy to me as the people who may be available would not be world beaters this late in the recruiting period.

Goldman will not be joining the cougs The other board had an article saying tht Kent did not extend an offer.Evidently he was told that Kent wanted someone who could help immediately and that he would have to red shirt It sounds crazy to me as the people who may be available would not be world beaters this late in the recruiting period.
I would have taken a flyer on him. I guess I don't understand why you have him visit if you aren't going to offer? Brands was trying to find out who the other 2 on their visits. Maybe they feel close on better prospects. Still like Goldman from what I saw and he got Graham's attention.

I really liked Goldman and think that he has great potential I believe that many schools are going to be sorry that they passed on him,

Not offering Goldman is a head scratcher to me. He would have been a nice complement to the rest of the young recruiting class.

Glad Cougar

I didn't see anything in him that screamed instant playing time but he seemed to have at least a decent skill set. At this point in time his athletism is lacking but not sure what else is out there. It was reported that there were two others who visited last week any idea who they were? Maybe Kent felt more confident in one or both of them.

From Goldman's comments I would assume that Kent thinks that the players he is talking to can help him have a decent record next year. I'm not seeing it though. The transfer from SF and/or a similar player isn't enough to bring us to a winning record imo. I wish Kent would focus more on 2017, but each year he seems to focus solely on improving the following year.

Goldman s shooting and ball handling ability are excellent for a big man He also has a good set of offensive moves. One wonders the type of player still available at this late date. The better transfer and jucos have signed with other programs. Hopefully .there may be a couple of quality European players available. I guess we will find out.

If his ball handling and shooting are excellent for a big man why no offer from WSU? Why no offers from any other major programs? One can only assume he was less than impressive in his WSU workouts. Highlight videos are very deceptive if you don't understand what to look for.

There are several highlights on every player. i know of a poster who went online about a former WSU recruit on another site and essentially told them that the guy could not play. He had committed to a Big 10 school The player s skill set was much like Goldmans . The other site laughed him off the board. One can look at many videos and a strange thing happens as every player never misses a shot. The knock on Goldman is his weight and strength. if one reads his statements carefully ,Kent told him that he can play but would need to red shirt. The guy can shoot and he obviously has good ball handling skills.But Kent told him that he needed help right away. We shall see if Kent has located players who can help next season. i would have gone with Goldman as a year od reshirting and conditioning would have helped him immensely.

If his ball handling and shooting are excellent for a big man why no offer from WSU? Why no offers from any other major programs? One can only assume he was less than impressive in his WSU workouts. Highlight videos are very deceptive if you don't understand what to look for.
Obviously something didn't go well in the workout and he became a backup guy. The concern is 2 rides left, regular signing over, it's the spring, and nobody seems to know who else we are in on. hooefully it means we are in on someone better but I'm not sold on Kent's JC recruiting and that's who it appears we are after at this point.

There are several highlights on every player. i know of a poster who went online about a former WSU recruit on another site and essentially told them that the guy could not play. He had committed to a Big 10 school The player s skill set was much like Goldmans . The other site laughed him off the board. One can look at many videos and a strange thing happens as every player never misses a shot. The knock on Goldman is his weight and strength. if one reads his statements carefully ,Kent told him that he can play but would need to red shirt. The guy can shoot and he obviously has good ball handling skills.But Kent told him that he needed help right away. We shall see if Kent has located players who can help next season. i would have gone with Goldman as a year od reshirting and conditioning would have helped him immensely.

If Kent told Goldman he can play but would have to redshirt, wouldn't you think he would still offer a scholarship? Who else is looking at Goldman and where else has he been offered?

At this point, I would hope Ernie hangs on to at least one of the scholarships for the 2017 class, if not both. They were originally going to be available for 2017 anyway (Que and Izundu), I'd rather not tie them up with a late recruit this season unless there is some great talent out there who we don't know about who is willing to come to Pullman. That seems increasingly unlikely.

Glad Cougar

Two ways to look at it. We already have 4 frosh signed. I would take a fifth if he really looked to have a ton of upside. Not sure if he falls too far in to the project category. We got too carried away with JC s last year but I might go with one this season. I am more concerned about seeing some team cohesion this year than I am with the makeup of the incoming class.

Two ways to look at it. We already have 4 frosh signed. I would take a fifth if he really looked to have a ton of upside. Not sure if he falls too far in to the project category. We got too carried away with JC s last year but I might go with one this season. I am more concerned about seeing some team cohesion this year than I am with the makeup of the incoming class.
Goldman may not have the upside but at least he looked like a decent project. It Feels like we are behind the 8-ball again. We don't know who they are after so who knows but I would rather a high school project than a JC. That can change depending on who we get.

Goldman may not have the upside but at least he looked like a decent project. It Feels like we are behind the 8-ball again. We don't know who they are after so who knows but I would rather a high school project than a JC.

Kent, I believe, doesn't have time for a "project" to materialize. It's better he makes this team competitive right away and uses that to recruit quality prospects for down the road. Another 1-17 conference record could lead to his ouster. I hope that doesn't happen, but one has to be realistic.

Kent, I believe, doesn't have time for a "project" to materialize. It's better he makes this team competitive right away and uses that to recruit quality prospects for down the road. Another 1-17 conference record could lead to his ouster. I hope that doesn't happen, but one has to be realistic.
He's in his 60s. How much time does he have left either way?

Don't see he has the talent next year to make it too .500 and unless a few of the young guys really show us something next year 2017 could be even worse. Whether he has time or not it's going to take time for us to field a competitive team again.

Don't mind us saving the scholarships for next year.

One would think that all of the "ready for prime time" kids are taken by now. If he can find a "project" who is willing to redshirt and maybe contribute in a couple of years then I am fine with that. Otherwise I would rather the scholarship be reserved for next year. Unfortunately, it seems to me that Kent is looking for immediate help and I regard that as a dead end. We do not need a short term fix but a foundation for the future. This Fall's basketball campaign is likely to be dreary. Shooting for .500 is not much of an aspiration.

After last year 500 would be huge. I am interested in how franks and Daniels progress. 3 of the incoming kids look like they can help right away. Get some guys who can knock down shots and that makes Hawk a major force. I will settle for entertaining games that go down to the wire and some guys who you can see are going to improve

If the .500 ball was in conference ball,that would be huge. But i would settle for about 15-16 regular season wins. The cougs have to have a decent record if Kent is going to land some of the targeted players next year

I only mentioned a .500 record as a goal we couldn't achieve no matter who Kent is likely to land with the final two schorlorships, hs or jc. Enless they are high quality jc's (like I have seen someone say Sampson like JCs and not what Kent has been recruiting) they won't make much a difference for next year either. Unless Kent finds a magic lamp he is going to have to do it the normal way for programs like us and develope talent that fits his scheme and that will take time.

I only mentioned a .500 record as a goal we couldn't achieve no matter who Kent is likely to land with the final two schorlorships, hs or jc. Enless they are high quality jc's (like I have seen someone say Sampson like JCs and not what Kent has been recruiting) they won't make much a difference for next year either. Unless Kent finds a magic lamp he is going to have to do it the normal way for programs like us and develope talent that fits his scheme and that will take time.
That's how I see it as well. He's not going to find a miracle this late. This roster is what it is and the way to build is to go with young players. Until we know how they use the final 2 it's still possible we come away happy with the players they pick up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT