ADVERTISEMENT

Shockandsizzlewazzu

I don't follow EWU at all. But, I do know the season he beat us that EWU went 12-2, he set the all time FCS passing yards record and also rushed for over 600 yards while completing over 67% of his passes. Are you sure he was benched that season?
I just watched the interview with him posted here a week ago. He referenced being benched two games after he beat us.

Not only losing his receivers, but Beau Baldwin left to Cal as well. The offense changed.

You saw what coaching and scheme did for GM. He went from nowhere to somewhere to the NFL.

Will GG have the same happen at WSU? Who knows. If Im being honest... if it were me that ripped out a 12-2 record and was wildly successful and a new coach comes in and things change... I would transfer too. If things aren't broken, don't fix them. You can't take a kid that is the best QB in FCS and turn him into an also ran. That's on the coaches, not the kid.

Reactions: mikalalas
I just watched the interview with him posted here a week ago. He referenced being benched two games after he beat us.

He was replaced in the third quarter in a 34-30 win over Northern Iowa, but regained the position the week after and started the rest of the way in 2016, throwing for a Big Sky and FCS record 5,160 yards.
He started in all but one game in 2017 under a new head coach (he was suspended for the North Dakota game).

Last edited:
I don't follow EWU at all. But, I do know the season he beat us that EWU went 12-2, he set the all time FCS passing yards record and also rushed for over 600 yards while completing over 67% of his passes. Are you sure he was benched that season?
In the GG interview he talks about after beating WSU they lost in OT to North Dakota State and then the next game he was benched at halftime against Northern Iowa. He continues to say his "starting job was gone" but did not say when he was reinserted as the starter. Probably pretty quick.

He stated he was benched in the recent interview.

Minshew was both booed off the field and benched at ECU.

Past performance is not always indicative of future results.

Great point. Surrounding cast and system can make a big difference. As long as Gage remembers how many weapons he has around and doesn't force low percentage throws, he should be fine.

Minshew was both booed off the field and benched at ECU.

Past performance is not always indicative of future results.
Didn't say it's an indicator of future performances. 90 asked if he had really been benched and I alluded to the recent interview where he states it himself.

I don't have a strong opinion about how Gage will fare at WSU this year, but he definitely needs to learn to value the ball more. If Mik had done a couple minutes research on INT/ATT ratios, he would know that Gubrud's career average of a pick every 36 attempts is not particularly good. Minshew was picked 9 times in over 660 attempts last year and only one QB in the top ten last year was in Gubrud's range last year. Most averaged around 50 passes per INT. As mentioned above, there was some luck involved for Minshew, but nevertheless, we won't win anything close to 11 games if Gubrud doesn't have a great season when it comes to taking care of the football.

I feel pretty good about Gubrud, but only time will tell.

Gage doesnt do as good with lesser supporting cast. And he demonstrated that by not doing as good with the #2,#3's, in scrimmage as did with #1's.

When Gage had Kupp, right coach, system, lack of injuries, not getting himself injured and thus not having a down performance recovery time, etc, Gage did:

ABOUT 5000 yards, ABOUT 33 to 43 TD's, About 13,14,15,16 INT's, in ABOUT 450 ish attempts, with about 1 INT per ABOUT 46 to 56 attempts ratio, with about a 1 INT to about around 385 passing yards ratio, and about a 1 INT Per about 2.85 TD's ratio

Now Gubrud had about 33 INT's in his about 2.5 years of starting at EWU. About 20 of those INT's came OUTSIDE of his 5000 yard 33 to 43 TD KUPP season

So your applying MOST of that 1 TD per 36 attempts that happened MOSTLY outside the KUPP season, to the KUPP season.

So a question is, is Gage WHERE HE IS NOW, EXPERIENCE WISE, DEVELOPMENT, etc, at the 1 INT Per 36 outside KUPP season?

Or is the 5000 yard KUPP season where he is now eexperience, development, skill, etc, wise?

Answer is IT DEPENDS.

And here how,etc.

Gage's 5000 yard KUPP, Coach Beau Baldwin, season, system,is probably the CLOSEST to AIR RAID WITHOUT. BEING Air Raid offense.

Also Gage's supporting cast at WSU is BETTER then the supporting cast he had at EWU.

And Leach is better offensive QB, etc, coach then Baldwin.

And there are about 1,2,3,4 KUPP EQUIVALENTS, TALENT, SKILL, ETC, WISE at WSU this season for Gage.

Gage is more experienced, developed, skilled, talented, etc, as a 4,5 year, grad transfer, at WSU, then he was was at EWU putting up that 1 INT per 36 attempts ratio outside that 5000 yard KUPP season.

So there is a ok, semi good chance, that Gage will, would put up a KUPP like ish season at WSU.

Will he do that?

I dont know

But Gage will, would PROBABLY do better then the 1 INT per 36 attempt he Gage had outside of his 5000 yard KUPP season, at EWU, at WSU.

I predict, project, that Gage would probably have about a 1 INT per about 43 to 53 attempts at WSU, 43 at worst, 53 at best.

3700 to 5300 yards, 25 to 50 TD's, 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 INT's, 533 attempts, 50 to 250 yards rushing, 4.4 yards per carry, 2 to 7 rushing TD's, 25 to 65 rushing attempts, 8.5 wins

Thats assuming he starts, doesnt get injured.

Wonder how Leach narrows the competition down to just two QB's. Gordon seems to be playing the best so far, Tinsley has the best leadership qualities and Gubrud has the highest ceiling.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Wonder how Leach narrows the competition down to just two QB's. Gordon seems to be playing the best so far, Tinsley has the best leadership qualities and Gubrud has the highest ceiling.

Lawson said that Gordon had the worst scrimmage of the 3 QB's, and the worst stat line(9-15 92 yards, 1 TD, compared to 9-15 136, 2 TD(Tinsly), 8-11 100 2 TD's, FLUKE INT(Gage)

Having a QB that calls a game like a baseball pitcher helps. As a pitcher, if you're only gonna throw your fastball, you'd better have a good fastball. Everyone knows it's coming. Hit it or don't.

The ability to throw a fastball, curve, change up, slider, knuckle, fork, screwball all keeps hitters guessing.

When WSU has a QB that can mix his play calls where the defense is FORCED to adjust, I think then and only then will you see WSU win the league.

I don't believe it's a balanced 50/50 offense. I believe it's an offense that makes teams line up with 4 lineman. Whatever that number looks like. When the defense has to remove a pass defender and add a run defender that scoreboard is gonna light up like a Christmas tree.

It doesnt have to be 50/50, but it should have to be at least the about 34,35,36% run, 63,64,65,66% Pass, and 3 runs, out of every about 7.5, 8, 8.5 plays, Mike Price Run/Pass Ratio, because that ratio got a 4th down lineman, and didnt get defenses to drop 7,8 to cover pass, and instead got 5,6,7, 6 on average to drop back, cover pass.

Leach's Air Raid needs about a CONSISTENT, BETWEEN about a 30% to 34% Run ratio.

So far over Leaches Tenure, his run ratio has been about 20% to 23% to 25% to 27% run ratio, except for the rare, uncommon, 1,2 season, seasons, where Leach had a inconsistent 30% to 34%,35% run ratio.

If you CONSISTENTLY run it 33.5% of the time, and CONSISTENTLY DO SO EFFECTIVELY ALMOST EACH, EVERY TIME, THE DEFENSE WILL ONLY DROP 6 TO COVER, AND WILL HAVE EITHER 3 DL, 2 LB's, an or 4 DL, 1 LB.

Against that the WSU RB, Borghi would GASH THAT.

And the WSU QB, WR, PASSING OFFENSE, etc, would GASH THAT as well.

Also like I said, Its Gage's starting job to lose.

Gordon, Tinsley have to BEAT OUT Gage to start.

Neck and Neck, is not BEATING OUT Gage.

So if it stays Neck and Neck Long enough, Leach would probably go with either Gage and Gordon, or Gage and Tinsly as final 2, and would probably start Gage.

Neck and Neck FAVORS Gage.

Gage doesnt do as good with lesser supporting cast. And he demonstrated that by not doing as good with the #2,#3's, in scrimmage as did with #1's.

When Gage had Kupp, right coach, system, lack of injuries, not getting himself injured and thus not having a down performance recovery time, etc, Gage did:

ABOUT 5000 yards, ABOUT 33 to 43 TD's, About 13,14,15,16 INT's, in ABOUT 450 ish attempts, with about 1 INT per ABOUT 46 to 56 attempts ratio, with about a 1 INT to about around 385 passing yards ratio, and about a 1 INT Per about 2.85 TD's ratio

Now Gubrud had about 33 INT's in his about 2.5 years of starting at EWU. About 20 of those INT's came OUTSIDE of his 5000 yard 33 to 43 TD KUPP season

So your applying MOST of that 1 TD per 36 attempts that happened MOSTLY outside the KUPP season, to the KUPP season.

So a question is, is Gage WHERE HE IS NOW, EXPERIENCE WISE, DEVELOPMENT, etc, at the 1 INT Per 36 outside KUPP season?

Or is the 5000 yard KUPP season where he is now eexperience, development, skill, etc, wise?

Answer is IT DEPENDS.

And here how,etc.

Gage's 5000 yard KUPP, Coach Beau Baldwin, season, system,is probably the CLOSEST to AIR RAID WITHOUT. BEING Air Raid offense.

Also Gage's supporting cast at WSU is BETTER then the supporting cast he had at EWU.

And Leach is better offensive QB, etc, coach then Baldwin.

And there are about 1,2,3,4 KUPP EQUIVALENTS, TALENT, SKILL, ETC, WISE at WSU this season for Gage.

Gage is more experienced, developed, skilled, talented, etc, as a 4,5 year, grad transfer, at WSU, then he was was at EWU putting up that 1 INT per 36 attempts ratio outside that 5000 yard KUPP season.

So there is a ok, semi good chance, that Gage will, would put up a KUPP like ish season at WSU.

Will he do that?

I dont know

But Gage will, would PROBABLY do better then the 1 INT per 36 attempt he Gage had outside of his 5000 yard KUPP season, at EWU, at WSU.

I predict, project, that Gage would probably have about a 1 INT per about 43 to 53 attempts at WSU, 43 at worst, 53 at best.

3700 to 5300 yards, 25 to 50 TD's, 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 INT's, 533 attempts, 50 to 250 yards rushing, 4.4 yards per carry, 2 to 7 rushing TD's, 25 to 65 rushing attempts, 8.5 wins

Thats assuming he starts, doesnt get injured.

You just spent 20 minutes of your life on jack squat. Brevity is your friend and you need to know when to realize that nobody is really arguing with you. We all know that Gage might be great. However, I can counter your entire diatribe with two sentences that say the exact same thing you said.

The majority of his past performance was against FCS competition and FBS competition is going to be better all around. We won't really know if he's going to be good in our offense until we play UCLA and that's if he even wins the starting job (although I expect him too).

Last edited:
I don't have a strong opinion about how Gage will fare at WSU this year, but he definitely needs to learn to value the ball more. If Mik had done a couple minutes research on INT/ATT ratios, he would know that Gubrud's career average of a pick every 36 attempts is not particularly good. Minshew was picked 9 times in over 660 attempts last year and only one QB in the top ten last year was in Gubrud's range last year. Most averaged around 50 passes per INT. As mentioned above, there was some luck involved for Minshew, but nevertheless, we won't win anything close to 11 games if Gubrud doesn't have a great season when it comes to taking care of the football.

I feel pretty good about Gubrud, but only time will tell.

Gardner Minshew averaged an INT every 17 passes coming from East Carolina’s system his last year. The Air Raid is extremely friendly to the ATT/INT ratio. I expect Gage to start and am not worried about it.

Reactions: mikalalas
Gardner Minshew averaged an INT every 17 passes coming from East Carolina’s system his last year. The Air Raid is extremely friendly to the ATT/INT ratio. I expect Gage to start and am not worried about it.

I'm not sure where you looked, but in 2017, Gardner had 304 attempts with 7 interceptions. That's 43 attempts per interception. FWIW, I've already said that I feel good about Gubrud this year. I disagree with Mik that it's a forgone conclusion that Gubrud is going to be the starter, but I do feel like it's the most likely outcome. I don't believe that Leach will start Gubrud if he doesn't feel like he's the best guy for the job.

It doesnt have to be 50/50, but it should have to be at least the about 34,35,36% run, 63,64,65,66% Pass, and 3 runs, out of every about 7.5, 8, 8.5 plays, Mike Price Run/Pass Ratio, because that ratio got a 4th down lineman, and didnt get defenses to drop 7,8 to cover pass, and instead got 5,6,7, 6 on average to drop back, cover pass.

Leach's Air Raid needs about a CONSISTENT, BETWEEN about a 30% to 34% Run ratio.

So far over Leaches Tenure, his run ratio has been about 20% to 23% to 25% to 27% run ratio, except for the rare, uncommon, 1,2 season, seasons, where Leach had a inconsistent 30% to 34%,35% run ratio.

If you CONSISTENTLY run it 33.5% of the time, and CONSISTENTLY DO SO EFFECTIVELY ALMOST EACH, EVERY TIME, THE DEFENSE WILL ONLY DROP 6 TO COVER, AND WILL HAVE EITHER 3 DL, 2 LB's, an or 4 DL, 1 LB.

Against that the WSU RB, Borghi would GASH THAT.

And the WSU QB, WR, PASSING OFFENSE, etc, would GASH THAT as well.

Mik: a few pointers, meant to be helpful (for the benefit of us all).

1) Before you hit post, you can choose "Preview." I think more people would read your posts if you would do this. Read them out loud.

Look for ways you can say the same thing with fewer words. Often you repeat yourself. Condense your thoughts. Think about how you can say more with less. Decide how you can be brief. Look for places you have basically said the same thing twice. See what I did there?

2) If you will read your posts out loud, make sure to YELL when you get to the place where you use all caps. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO MANY OF US. It sound like you are trying to convince yourself, and it often feels a little insulting. If you really have something valuable to say, let the value speak for itself.

3) Let's talk numbers For example, 35 percent is a better way to say it than 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40.... It sounds like you aren't comfortable with simple math.

I don't mind if you continue to do this last one because it always makes me laugh. But it also means I don't take your posts seriously. If you want to be heard, try writing in a way others will listen.

One noticeable thing when watching Gage's EWU tape is he seemed to only have 1 maybe 2 go to receivers. When QB's start locking in on just a few targets, DB's are going to get more INT's . There were also a ton of drops on his passes that should be catches by the WSU crew of receivers

If he can get the hang of going through multiple reads, he should look better than he did at ECU on turnovers etc. Mainly hope that he is healthy and the starter when WSU faces UW. That "wall" coverage they have gotten away with against an immobile Falk or Minshew in the snow may not look so great against a QB that can run like this Gage is capable of .

If you want to see what I am talking about just watch the play starting at the .20 mark. An athletic QB that can run cracks 15 /20 yard gain easily here and if he gets a block maybe more. Compare that to what Falk did.

1) Before you hit post, you can choose "Preview." I think more people would read your posts if you would do this. Read them out loud.

Look for ways you can say the same thing with fewer words. Often you repeat yourself. Condense your thoughts. Think about how you can say more with less. Decide how you can be brief. Look for places you have basically said the same thing twice. See what I did there?

2) If you will read your posts out loud, make sure to YELL when you get to the place where you use all caps. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO MANY OF US. It sound like you are trying to convince yourself, and it often feels a little insulting. If you really have something valuable to say, let the value speak for itself.

3) Let's talk numbers For example, 35 percent is a better way to say it than 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40.... It sounds like you aren't comfortable with simple math.

I don't mind if you continue to do this last one because it always makes me laugh. But it also means I don't take your posts seriously. If you want to be heard, try writing in a way others will listen.
Speaking of the transfer and opinions. The one guy states EWU should of beat WSU if Gage were more accurate. Oh boy!

Or maybe just use this or "this". I ain't no english tho!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fab5Coug
Speaking of the transfer and opinions. The one guy states EWU should of beat WSU if Gage were more accurate. Oh boy!

Or maybe just use this or "this". I ain't no english tho!

"I'm a Washington State fan"
"I went to Washington State"

Refers to the Cougs as "Washington" throughout the podcast.

Also, is this the dude who go banned from game pressers? If not I weep for the future of "journalism."

Last edited:
Reactions: GabbyHays
"I'm a Washington State fan"
"I went to Washington State"

Refers to the Cougs as "Washington" throughout the podcast.

Also, is this the dude who go banned from game pressers? If not I weep for the future of "journalism."
If you're talking about the guy from brand X...I don't think so. We've all had football discussions with someone who only wants to talk about a team's offense or QB when defining how well a team will do throughout a season. The obvious question might be "how many EWU defensive players could crack the 2 deep at WSU?" I'd say 3 from last year. Jay-Tee Tiuli would of started at NT and then a couple others would see playing time. Tops...three others would of seen some time. He could stand to field some questions if he's a journalist.

Forget about the stats, Gardner bought into being a Coug from the day he set foot on campus. Didn't discuss the past, looked forward to the opportunity in front of him, and being the best teammate and Coug he could.
I hope Gubrud does well and leads the Cougs to an undefeated season. He said he's not Gardner and plays differently, which is fine, I get that, and it's true. Just not sure he's bought into being a Coug, there is still some Eastern pulling on him. If you want to lead the team, they have to believe you are bought in 110%, so I guess we will find out over time.

Reactions: 79COUG

Your post was too long. :D

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Forget about the stats, Gardner bought into being a Coug from the day he set foot on campus. Didn't discuss the past, looked forward to the opportunity in front of him, and being the best teammate and Coug he could.
I hope Gubrud does well and leads the Cougs to an undefeated season. He said he's not Gardner and plays differently, which is fine, I get that, and it's true. Just not sure he's bought into being a Coug, there is still some Eastern pulling on him. If you want to lead the team, they have to believe you are bought in 110%, so I guess we will find out over time.
Curious. What makes you believe that he has not bought in?

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT