ADVERTISEMENT

SJSU Trap Game....?

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes, it's possible, and it happens all the time, (coming off marquee wins).

Don't fool yourself. It can happen Friday night.

3-0 SJSU has played....

Sacramento State W 41-24
Air Force W 17-7
Kennesaw State W 31-10

On computer, we should be fine. But there are classic Trap games, and this is one of them.

Reactions: 79COUG
Yes, it's possible, and it happens all the time, (coming off marquee wins).

Don't fool yourself. It can happen Friday night.

3-0 SJSU has played....

Sacramento State W 41-24
Air Force W 17-7
Kennesaw State W 31-10

On computer, we should be fine. But there are classic Trap games, and this is one of them.
The win against Air Force is the surprise. Sac state is FCS, Kennesaw was. Air Force - as we found out a few years ago - is tough to prep for. They’re disciplined and they play an offense that nobody else does. SJSU going in and holding them to 7 was a surprise.

Although….looking at AF’s schedule & results, maybe they’re just not very good.

Altho Dickert has lost 1 trap game, and it's possible that he could lose a trap game, Dickert usually, almost always wins, has the team be focused, play good in trap games.

And for Dickert to keep the team focused, winning last 3 games, despite all the distractions, probably means that Dickert, team will be focused, show up, win a trap game.

And that's because it's not a trap game to Dickert, team. To Dickert, Team, it's just another team they need to go 1-0 against, that they take seriously, etc.

Last edited:
The win against Air Force is the surprise. Sac state is FCS, Kennesaw was. Air Force - as we found out a few years ago - is tough to prep for. They’re disciplined and they play an offense that nobody else does. SJSU going in and holding them to 7 was a surprise.

Although….looking at AF’s schedule & results, maybe they’re just not very good.

This is not the same Air Force team that knocked off WSU in 2019. San Jose State is clearly a trap game for WSU though. Any undefeated team is usually playing with some confidence and should be taken seriously.

One important thing to remember is that every team that we have faced this year was undefeated until they played us. That's obviously kind of a BS statistic, but SJSU's wins are over objectively bad teams. Massey has them beating FCS Sac State, #93 Air Force and #132 Kennesaw State. As long as we take them seriously, we should win by 17+ points.

By the way, when I suggested before the season started that this season was our best shot at running the table , we were all quick to say, "but that will never happen". We still have a few games that we need to be nervous about, but ESPN's FPI is now saying we have an 8.8% chance to finish undefeated and a 24% chance of making the college football playoff. That's up from less than a 1% chance to go undefeated to start the season. Still unlikely that we finish undefeated....but it's a real possibility if we stay focused. I know it's against a weaker schedule....but I'm ok with that.

This is not the same Air Force team that knocked off WSU in 2019. San Jose State is clearly a trap game for WSU though. Any undefeated team is usually playing with some confidence and should be taken seriously.

One important thing to remember is that every team that we have faced this year was undefeated until they played us. That's obviously kind of a BS statistic, but SJSU's wins are over objectively bad teams. Massey has them beating FCS Sac State, #93 Air Force and #132 Kennesaw State. As long as we take them seriously, we should win by 17+ points.

By the way, when I suggested before the season started that this season was our best shot at running the table , we were all quick to say, "but that will never happen". We still have a few games that we need to be nervous about, but ESPN's FPI is now saying we have an 8.8% chance to finish undefeated and a 24% chance of making the college football playoff. That's up from less than a 1% chance to go undefeated to start the season. Still unlikely that we finish undefeated....but it's a real possibility if we stay focused. I know it's against a weaker schedule....but I'm ok with that.
We will take SJSU out to the woodshed. Speaking of surprises, what's up with Cal? Beat Auburn, cleaned the floor with SDSU, now 3-0? Huh.

Trap Game Friday night IS FOR REAL.

It's possible.

Remember, very few teams run the table, (even thought we're playing G5).

The Spartans will be no pushovers. They are 3-0 and received one top 25 vote in the coaches poll this week. Also, adding to the plot line is that their starting QB, Emmett Brown, was WSU's 3rd string QB last year and is off to a very good start to this season.

SJSU's offensive coordinator is Craig Stutzmann who was one of the former WSU assistant coaches from the Rolovich era who was also fired for refusing to take the COVID vax.

There's no doubt he'd love to return to the Palouse and douse some water on the Cougs' early season feel-good story.

Lastly, of course, is the fact that SJSU was not one of the MWC teams initially chosen to be a part of the newly reconfigured Pac-12. Those players and coaches will most certainly make note of that. If I'm the Cougs, I'm not expecting any of these guys to help me up after they tackle me.

Forget thinking about Boise and Fresno. SJSU can be a huge obstacle, and even a letdown.

Last edited:
We need to respect San Jose State but that 3-0 record is more than likely a mirage. Their wins are teams that are a combined 2-7. One was FCS and Kennesaw State is still essentially an FCS school. Even though they are 3-0, they are a pass heavy team with no running game. We showed against Texas Tech that we can control the tempo when facing that type of team....and Texas Tech is a much better team than SJSU. And when I say bad running game...SJSU's running game is so bad that our running game under Leach looked like a juggernaut. They are averaging 1.9 ypc right now. In contrast, Texas Tech is averaging 5.6 ypc and UW is averaging 5.5 ypc.

We can't afford for our players to overlook SJSU and we need them to go into that game with a chip on their shoulder but this is a game we run away with as long as we play our game. Nobody has done a prediction thread yet, but I'm going to put us down for a 49-21 point win.

EDIT: our opponents are a combined 4-1 in games against schools not named WSU. SJSU's opponents are 2-4 outside of their games against the Spartans.

Last edited:
We need to respect San Jose State but that 3-0 record is more than likely a mirage. Their wins are teams that are a combined 2-7. One was FCS and Kennesaw State is still essentially an FCS school. Even though they are 3-0, they are a pass heavy team with no running game. We showed against Texas Tech that we can control the tempo when facing that type of team....and Texas Tech is a much better team than SJSU. And when I say bad running game...SJSU's running game is so bad that our running game under Leach looked like a juggernaut. They are averaging 1.9 ypc right now. In contrast, Texas Tech is averaging 5.6 ypc and UW is averaging 5.5 ypc.

We can't afford for our players to overlook SJSU and we need them to go into that game with a chip on their shoulder but this is a game we run away with as long as we play our game. Nobody has done a prediction thread yet, but I'm going to put us down for a 49-21 point win.
Fair enough. I agree. We should boat race these guys, and without a run game, and they haven't played anyone....it's clear we should win big time. But our guys better be ready to play.

EDIT: our opponents are a combined 4-1 in games against schools not named WSU. SJSU's opponents are 2-4 outside of their games against the Spartans.

Rush 4, occasionally blitz a linebacker, occasionally use a linebacker to spy QB, RB, that can also drop into coverage, depending on whether SJSU starts to semi successfully run QB, RB, and drop 6,7 back into a match up mid zone, mixed up with man to man coverage, run a mix of cover 4, have 2 safeties, nickel back bracket match up zone cover, give CB's help midrange to semi deep, occasionally zone blitz, occasionally blitz a LB an a nickel back and Safety on the occasional 3rd and long, disguise looks, angles, blitz's, etc, bend, but don't break, keep everything in front, etc, stay disciplined, communicate, etc. If WSU's defense does that SJSU, will get a couple, few, some passing yards, a couple, few, some FG's, but overall, will have their offense either SHUT DOWN, or occasionally shut down or shut down enough.

WSU 4 TD's, 4 FG's for 40

SJSU 2 TD's, 3 FG's, for 23

Rush 4, occasionally blitz a linebacker, occasionally use a linebacker to spy QB, RB, that can also drop into coverage, depending on whether SJSU starts to semi successfully run QB, RB, and drop 6,7 back into a match up mid zone, mixed up with man to man coverage, run a mix of cover 4, have 2 safeties, nickel back bracket match up zone cover, give CB's help midrange to semi deep, occasionally zone blitz, occasionally blitz a LB an a nickel back and Safety on the occasional 3rd and long, disguise looks, angles, blitz's, etc, bend, but don't break, keep everything in front, etc, stay disciplined, communicate, etc. If WSU's defense does that SJSU, will get a couple, few, some passing yards, a couple, few, some FG's, but overall, will have their offense either SHUT DOWN, or occasionally shut down or shut down enough.

WSU 4 TD's, 4 FG's for 40

SJSU 2 TD's, 3 FG's, for 23

If we need four field goals from Janikowski....I'm going to start feeling nervous. LOL.

Reactions: Coug90

The line has dropped. Betting is coming in on SDSU.

Games that aren’t on Saturdays add another element of scary.

The line has dropped. Betting is coming in on SDSU.

Games that aren’t on Saturdays add another element of scary.
Good thing we are playing SJSU then.

We are not going to have a letdown. I'm thinking 42-14. Eckhaus gets reps in the 4th quarter.

If we need four field goals from Janikowski....I'm going to start feeling nervous. LOL.
I'm OK with 3 FGs. If they come in the 4th quarter after Mateer and Eckhaus have finished for the day, and we have Jaxon Potter running the scout team through the last 10 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT